Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

Thanks to all the new faces that have chimed in their support for chat bubbles in this thread! Keep it coming and perhaps we'll finally make our voices heard and get them to fix and implement this feature after all this time!

GIzmo, did you post an application!? I hope you did! :i_biggrin:
I did, but it didn't receive a reply. It vanished from the thread for a bit, too, but appeared again after a while. You can find it by clicking here. Feel free to quote it and ask them to hire me or whatever. I'm not really sure what this whole Czerka thing is for or what the point is, but if there is a chance it will end all of our suffering by bringing us chat bubbles as Courtney Woods hinted at, I agree that it may be wise to take it. Edited by Glzmo

All the MMORPG's iv'e played had Chat Bubbles in since 2000 , I will name them and provide amount of time played :-

Phantasy Star Online - played for 2 years on the DreamCast and 2 years on The GameCube.

Phantasy Star Universe - played for 7 years on both the Xbox 360 and PS2.

Phantasy Star Zero - played a few months on the Nintendo DS.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 - played for about 7 months on Playstation Portable

Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - played for a few months until TOR came out , on Playstation Portable.

Those last 3 are indeed on handheld machines and MMO's , so yeah we really should have them in this game , they enhance a game , even though they are a simple idea. Obviously we need toggle on / off but yeah.

No worries Gizmo we will have them one day :) Glad to help all I can.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

In the name of the maker can someone please ask about chat bubbles in a Community Cantina ??

So according to data-mining Pod Racers are comming

Also we all know arenas are coming in addition to Tauntaun ,

All we need is chat bubbles and sitting in chairs then I can say we are nearly complete.

In additon to Sabacc and pazaak !!

Can you imagine how much potential this game could have?

But lets start off with some basic chat bubbles!!

GIZMO !! I love you man... keep it alive !!!

BIOWARE can you here us???

Edited by Krull-

Considering that Bioware also made Neverwinter Nights, they know perfectly well how to put pretty much perfect chat functionality into a game.

What Neverwinter Nights gave us in terms of multiplayer chat:

-Chat Bubbles.

-Short range whisper channel to everyone near you.

This might be even more usefull than the chat bubbles since if groups that are roleplaying or otherwise using the say channel only those standing close would hear it. Sure there is guild chat, group chat and all that, but that wont help us when its imps and reps talking with each other.

-Portraits next to the chat of each speaker.

Another handy way to single out the people you are talking with at a crowded location. Just keep an eye on their portraits. Some sort of icon next to the name that shows which guild someone belongs to could help a lot already.

-Characters automaticly look at nearby speakers.

This is one of those beautifull little details in NWN that added immersion.

Personally, I have had no issues with using /say in the normal chat window. I wouldn't like to see bubbles coming up, because they may cover up space. ( I'm trying to see if there is an enemy ahead of me and 15 people are doing an event, thus the space above their heads is covered)...Then again, I don't see anything-- other than that one issue-- with chat bubbles. And...the portable relaxation thing....is that really a big deal? :)

In the name of the maker can someone please ask about chat bubbles in a Community Cantina ??

So according to data-mining Pod Racers are comming

Also we all know arenas are coming in addition to Tauntaun ,

All we need is chat bubbles and sitting in chairs then I can say we are nearly complete.

In additon to Sabacc and pazaak !!

Can you imagine how much potential this game could have?

But lets start off with some basic chat bubbles!!

GIZMO !! I love you man... keep it alive !!!

BIOWARE can you here us???

I love this man/woman's ideas. I'm 100% on board with all those other ideas. I agree, I hope Bioware is reading this.

GIVE US MINIGAMES!! :)

Personally, I have had no issues with using /say in the normal chat window. I wouldn't like to see bubbles coming up, because they may cover up space. ( I'm trying to see if there is an enemy ahead of me and 15 people are doing an event, thus the space above their heads is covered)...Then again, I don't see anything-- other than that one issue-- with chat bubbles. And...the portable relaxation thing....is that really a big deal? :)

Perhaps a modifiable quick-key setting in the Preferences panel for turning Chat Bubbles on or off when they become wanted or unwanted in the current moment, would be an excellent feature.

Edited by anonnn

Hey Pistols,

Good news! The Gold Scalene Armor is coming back for this weekend only. Look for it Friday!

On a side note, tequila can make RPing better! :jawa_cool:

This is a quote comming from BioWare.....

Funny how they mention what makes RP better...Even as a joke.

I wonder if they even know how upset the RP community is with the lack of communication concerning chat bubbles and other RP requested BASIC features.

I wonder if they even care....

You listening BioWare?

probably not........:mad:

After so many "papercuts," are there are any role-players left ?

Are we a joke to you guys in BioWare? You probably don't even look at this forum anymore..................

Edited by Krull-

This is a quote comming from BioWare.....

Funny how they mention what makes RP better...Even as a joke.

I wonder if they even know how upset the RP community is with the lack of communication concerning chat bubbles and other RP requested BASIC features.

I wonder if they even care....

You listening BioWare?

probably not........:mad:

After so many "papercuts," are there are any role-players left ?

Are we a joke to you guys in BioWare? You probably don't even look at this forum anymore..................

Way to take a comment out of context and not directed at you to imply something it totally doesn't.. You just might be one of the reasons why Bioware doesn't respond much..

Even a comment intended to be in fun is taken way to seriously and turned into an insult.. You should be ashamed..

Why I am responding to your post?? Because I don't care how you take this.. If you want to be some conspiracy theorist and live in the everyone hates me community that is fine.. But you aren't doing the RP community any favors.

I doubt that Bioware sees the RP community as a joke.. You on the other hand?? Not so certain..

Yes they look at the forum and this thread.. But since it is bumped pretty much by the same people over and over, and Bioware actually has nothing new to say or add to the topic.. What is there for Bioware to say??

Of course after what you just did with a quote from another thread, meant in fun, and not directed to you or this topic.. What would you do?? You are actually helping them not to respond.. Why should they?? Like I said, you are not doing the RP community or this topic any favors.. When Bioware has something worthy to say on the issue of Chat bubbles.. I am sure they will say some thing.. But thanks to you, it is now even less likely they will respond in the forum in general.. Nobody likes their statements being taken out of context..

Think about it.. :rolleyes:

Edited by MajikMyst

So let me get this right, you think I was out of line because I quoted a response from a Dev from another post with the word RP ?

The mere fact they they mentioned the word RP on another post referring to cartel market items and not responding to our queries is what is troublesome. How many pages are we up to since there last response on this matter? I highly doubt it was all because of me MajikMyst.

Ashamed for making some some noise? I think not MajikMyst. However I do consider myself as a strong advocate.

Also I don't think we are getting any favors as of recent.

Rapid responses on cartel items and Revan's Robe color, however non-responsive to our queries.

To some it all up, there those who will wait for someone to ask a question, and there are those who actually ask the question.

OMG if a question about Chat Bubbles gave the response:

Unfortunately, we are unable to discuss specifics of ongoing Czerka projects-

Then I would say they're working on the entirety of the implementation, and maybe even have it more or less finished! And since it's a significant change, are just putting on the final touches and planning it for the next major release (2.3). Maybe they're planning it as a Christmas present!

__________|_omg awesome !_|

_________________\/

_______________ :jawa_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Just so you know, I've come to the conclusion that the game without chat bubbles doesn't have a high enough value for me to warrant paying a subscription. I've faithfully remained subscribed to the game since launch in hope that my money will be used to bring us the promised chat bubbles. There comes a time when enough is enough and one can't take it anymore. I just can't warrant spending money for TOR anymore as we don't even have a projected release date or patch number chat bubbles are planned for. I won't pay a single cent to play this game anymore (not for subscriptions, not for cartel coins, not for expansions or anything else) until chat bubbles are implemented in a satisfactory manner or at least a firm date/patch for it's implementation is formally announced. Thus I'll let my subscription lapse when it expires in a couple of weeks this time around and vote with my wallet.

Unfortunately, unsubscribing changes the account to preferred status which also means that I'll be unable to to post on the forum any longer. That in turn means that I will sadly no longer be able to update this thread nor will I be able to fight for chat bubbles and other RP features on the official forums. I'm really sorry to let everybody down, but it's the end of the line for me until things improve. I do hope some of you will step up and pick up where I left off and keep fighting the good fight.

Thank you all for supporting the quest for the addition of chat bubbles and this thread. It's most appreciated!

Edited by Glzmo

Just so you know, I've come to the conclusion that the game without chat bubbles doesn't have a high enough value for me to warrant paying a subscription. I've faithfully remained subscribed to the game since launch in hope that my money will be used to bring us the promised chat bubbles. There comes a time when enough is enough and one can't take it anymore. I just can't warrant spending money for TOR anymore as we don't even have a projected release date or patch number chat bubbles are planned for. I won't pay a single cent to play this game anymore (not for subscriptions, not for cartel coins, not for expansions or anything else) until chat bubbles are implemented in a satisfactory manner or at least a firm date/patch for it's implementation is formally announced. Thus I'll let my subscription lapse when it expires in a couple of weeks this time around and vote with my wallet.

Unfortunately, unsubscribing changes the account to preferred status which also means that I'll be unable to to post on the forum any longer. That in turn means that I will sadly no longer be able to update this thread nor will I be able to fight for chat bubbles and other RP features on the official forums. I'm really sorry to let everybody down, but it's the end of the line for me until things improve. I do hope some of you will step up and pick up where I left off and keep fighting the good fight.

Thank you all for supporting the quest for the addition of chat bubbles and this thread. It's most appreciated!

Unfortunate to hear but not to worry; the good fight will continue! I'll be sure to keep both your threads relevant until necessary. Let's hope Czerka can deliver sooner rather than later!

• 2 weeks later...
Is this Link
old news? Did that always say that or is it something recently added? If this is actually new, I'm excited to see if it is a stealthy little clue!
Not sure, but I want them to finally be added! How much longer will they string us along? We've lost so many great players because this feature is still missing and are loosing more every day due to it.

Perhaps it's time to pester support about how to enable chat bubbles since the game rules state they are in there? Since the rules actually state they chat bubbles when typing are the intended behavior, I guess chat bubbles missing is actually a bug and we could write bug reports, too...

I look forward to this becoming a reality.

Hopefully it actually does become a reality.

So do I! Edited by Stubacca

As much as I crave Chat Bubbles, I certainly wouldn't want them at the cost of a significant slow down in game performance.

Thanks for the input, it's reassuring to know that the developers are aware of the players' concerns.

especially when you get troll spammers on fleet, screaming hodor