Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

I'm voicing my support for this as it's really time to cater more to the RP community, as that's been severely neglected up til now for the PVE and PVP community. Those communities are great, but the whole game shouldn't revolve around them. Go chat bubbles!!

Come on now, I need those chat bubbles! EA, Bioware, there must be a reason we don't have bubbles yet, please do share, or open the possibility for us to write addons, that way we could make our own chat bubbles, and you get free labor.

I'm also throwing in my major support for this idea. Frankly, I haven't really bothered to roleplay due to the serious inconvenience the lack of chat bubbles causes for any form of spontaneous roleplay, i.e. bars, events etc, and it (roleplay) was one of the main features I was looking for from this game. The bizarre thing is, I think most of us are already aware that EA have a ruthlessly capitalistic approach to making/ruining games, (one that will hopefully shoot them in the foot when they discover that all forms of art and creation that they enjoy have been heavily compromised/sold out due to their own perpetuation of this unethical attitude) so surely they can see that the lack of this primary roleplay feature renders pretty much all of their cosmetic goods on the cartel store entirely redundant. Why would I bother spending money on emotes, outfits, cosmetic gimmicks etc when I have no place to use them? Basically, without chat bubbles, my toon has no meaningful interaction with other players, so I don't much care what he/she looks like or can do. It's a basic feature that was long promised and yet in two years there's been no word on it. I too will take this as yet another example of the true nature of EA, and will not be renewing my subscription unless it is implemented or at least updated within my current sub, but I'm absolutely sure no one from the company will even read this or give two cents about my concerns, and therein lies the tragedy of EA.

Only if they give us an option to toggle them off.

As wonderful as it sounds, I can think of a potential problem. Because both factions are able to communicate with each other in /say without a language barrier like the one in WoW, I can foresee that some players may spam yelling macros in warzones to psych other players out and fill up their screen with distracting chat bubbles.

I would, however, like the option of having them. Sometimes I miss it when people are trying to talk to me because it doesn't flash on my screen, and I'm not always focused on my chatbox.

Another thing I like is how in some games it shows a little animation of your character talking whenever you say something in chat. It would be a nice touch, but I don't expect them to go crazy.

Only if they give us an option to toggle them off.

As wonderful as it sounds, I can think of a potential problem. Because both factions are able to communicate with each other in /say without a language barrier like the one in WoW, I can foresee that some players may spam yelling macros in warzones to psych other players out and fill up their screen with distracting chat bubbles.

You're right, cross-faction spamming would be a problem. There would need to be a separate checkbox for "Opposite Faction Chat Bubbles" which would definitely be off by default.

I know we have had an answer (Yes they are coming, but when? Who knows). I'd just like to ask if there is any news on this? Is 2.6 going to give us Chat Bubbles!? 2.7 maybe?

I know it is being worked on, but a little update would be swell :)

I'd hope they are at least already dated for a patch number this quarter internally. If not, then what are they waiting for? I can't understand why they wouldn't be added prioritized for one of the next patches. Certainly all the planned PVP, PVE and especially (ripoff) Cartel Market additions could be bumped to a patch later to implement chat bubbles at this point couldn't hurt, so those social players, roleplayers, etc. that have been waiting for over two years for this feature to enrich their chosen style of gameplay and paid their subscription faitfully will finally get what they crave.

I was going to ask in our next Q&A, but didn't include a question for it :(
It's a pity. And then people are wondering why we aren't getting them. I wonder what it would take to get all the popular SWTOR fansites could make a plan to push for chat bubbles consistently on their sites and ask/demand them in the Q&As they get. But I guess all those high-profile fansite operators with all their luxuries sadly just don't care enough these days.

You're right, cross-faction spamming would be a problem. There would need to be a separate checkbox for "Opposite Faction Chat Bubbles" which would definitely be off by default.
Yes, that suggestion's good and seems to already be in the top post, too.

I would, however, like the option of having them. Sometimes I miss it when people are trying to talk to me because it doesn't flash on my screen, and I'm not always focused on my chatbox.
Yeah!

Another thing I like is how in some games it shows a little animation of your character talking whenever you say something in chat. It would be a nice touch, but I don't expect them to go crazy.
That would be nice. Companion characters already move their mouths and have animations when talking, too (just click on them to get them to talk while in the gameworld outside cutscenes). I don't think it would be hard to reuse and automatically trigger those very animations when a character types something in /say or /yell chat.

I'm voicing my support for this as it's really time to cater more to the RP community, as that's been severely neglected up til now for the PVE and PVP community. Those communities are great, but the whole game shouldn't revolve around them. Go chat bubbles!!
Yes. Sadly, so little seems to be left of the pre-EA Bioware spirit, that they forgot all about where they've come from and who made them famous (hint for those current Bioware employees: it's Roleplay and roleplayers).

I'm also throwing in my major support for this idea. Frankly, I haven't really bothered to roleplay due to the serious inconvenience the lack of chat bubbles causes for any form of spontaneous roleplay, i.e. bars, events etc, and it (roleplay) was one of the main features I was looking for from this game. The bizarre thing is, I think most of us are already aware that EA have a ruthlessly capitalistic approach to making/ruining games, (one that will hopefully shoot them in the foot when they discover that all forms of art and creation that they enjoy have been heavily compromised/sold out due to their own perpetuation of this unethical attitude) so surely they can see that the lack of this primary roleplay feature renders pretty much all of their cosmetic goods on the cartel store entirely redundant. Why would I bother spending money on emotes, outfits, cosmetic gimmicks etc when I have no place to use them? Basically, without chat bubbles, my toon has no meaningful interaction with other players, so I don't much care what he/she looks like or can do. It's a basic feature that was long promised and yet in two years there's been no word on it. I too will take this as yet another example of the true nature of EA, and will not be renewing my subscription unless it is implemented or at least updated within my current sub, but I'm absolutely sure no one from the company will even read this or give two cents about my concerns, and therein lies the tragedy of EA.
That's a wonderful point and sadly, I do believe that's the only way they'll listen at this point. And ever since South Park's "Obama wins" episode, we also know what Mickey Mouse and his Disney conglomerate thinks about Star Wars, so I'm afraid there won't be any help coming from that side either.

I'd hope they are at least already dated for a patch number this quarter internally. If not, then what are they waiting for? I can't understand why they wouldn't be added prioritized for one of the next patches. Certainly all the planned PVP, PVE and especially (ripoff) Cartel Market additions could be bumped to a patch later to implement chat bubbles at this point couldn't hurt, so those social players, roleplayers, etc. that have been waiting for over two years for this feature to enrich their chosen style of gameplay and paid their subscription faitfully will finally get what they crave.

lets see, why Bioware would rush pvp and pve stuff instead of pushing it back just for chat bubbles which were tried but caused horrible lag issues (as if the lag we get now isn't bad enough), now that's a mystery :rolleyes:

Anyway, pushing back content in favor of a vanity feature and YES its a vanity feature when we already got chat is never a good idea, players need more content added, especially since the grinders go through it all within 3 hours of each release, and also, the cartel market teams are SEPERATE from teams in charge of other content, cartel content does NOT delay other stuff, however I am pretty convinced though that chat bubbles will NEVER be included, Bioware is mostly focused on getting new pvp and pve stuff out as well as stuff to make players go through more grinds, not a bubble over your head, chat bubbles are just not as important as real content, you have to realize that, I pay a sub for real content, now to wait for a bubble to pop up over my head.

It's a pity. And then people are wondering why we aren't getting them. I wonder what it would take to get all the popular SWTOR fansites could make a plan to push for chat bubbles consistently on their sites and ask/demand them in the Q&As they get. But I guess all those high-profile fansite operators with all their luxuries sadly just don't care enough these days.

We've asked before, and we never get a definitive answer. I know that the devs know about this post, and I think that if they had something to say, they'd say it here.

We've asked before, and we never get a definitive answer. I know that the devs know about this post, and I think that if they had something to say, they'd say it here.

Yes you have been given a definitive answer on it. It might not be the answer you want but it is a definitive answer. The chat bubbles caused serious performance issues and until those issues can be resolved they won't be added. That has been said by devs here in the forums in direct answer to these repeated questions like this one.

Yes you have been given a definitive answer on it. It might not be the answer you want but it is a definitive answer. The chat bubbles caused serious performance issues and until those issues can be resolved they won't be added. That has been said by devs here in the forums in direct answer to these repeated questions like this one.

Yeah but the name plates on players and companions gave the same performance issues , so yeah they fixed those so why don't they use that technology to do the same to chat bubbles ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I wonder why those of you who do not want the chat bubbles so strongly argue against them? If (and they should be!) the chat bubbles are implemented, we clearly stated in the first post of this thread that we should be able to toggle the chat bubbles on or off.

I would without hesitation pay once (as I did to receive the Digital Deluxe edition of this game) for an optional game update labeled CHAT BUBBLES. That way, those of you that have no need for them, would not have to pay at all. Sounds like a deal Bioware (EA!) and SWtOR community?

Chat bubbles would provide a huge relief during role play gatherings with more than ten people participating, when everyone speaks at the same time. Bazaars, political gatherings, rowdy cantinas; all of these events would benefit from the chat bubbles! We would easily and fast be able to determine from where someone shouts, and if a private conversation should or shouldn't be heard from where your character is positioned in the area.

As it is now, one first needs to check the character name, and then peer into the large crowd and attempt to find the character.

It's not only in the crowd of rolling players chat bubbles would add to the interactive storytelling we RP'ers are so fond of. Someone wandering the wide plains of Hoth could decide to call out for his fellows for help her once she gets lost, and maybe attract the "ear" of the enemy to?

It would as well be better for our health. Bending closer to and peering into the computer screen isn't ergonomic in any way.

All in all: I approve of chat bubbles, and want them added. A small addition to the game, but a large improvement to the RP community.

PS.

[...] I pay a sub for real content, now to wait for a bubble to pop up over my head.

Re: For all I know, this is a computer game and thus everything in the game is virtual, not real... So everything we pay for, it is an illusion :rak_03: .

I added the idea a while back that there can be checkboxes for switching chat bubbles on/off for several types of other players: guildies, group members, friends, opposite faction public, same faction public, etc. But I just thought of another possibility: your selected target. You can have chat bubbles ONLY switched on for group members and guildies, but then when you're running around Carrick Station and maybe talking to random people, you can run up to a person, select them, and then carry on a chat bubble conversation. Same with focus target, then you could see chat bubbles from 2 people just on a spontaneous whim.

Chat bubbles would provide a huge relief during role play gatherings with more than ten people participating, when everyone speaks at the same time. Bazaars, political gatherings, rowdy cantinas; all of these events would benefit from the chat bubbles!

I agree! I have played a couple MMOs with chat bubble options and they make a big difference in the perception of human presence. Cantinas and the fleet have many players in a large area but I don't get the feeling of hustle and bustle or life-like chatter happening. The current chat system works but...with the lack of audible conversations, the chat bubbles really fill a gap and make local conversations easier and more natural.

I have been wondering when/if these were going to ever make their way into SWTOR. If they could solve the performance issue, this would be a great option to have.

I agree! I have played a couple MMOs with chat bubble options and they make a big difference in the perception of human presence.

The perception of human presence! Yes! More than one person has described chat bubbles as a mere cartoonish blob on the screen, and I'm not sure why anyone could miss the benefit of it, that with chat bubbles the chat text is strongly associated with the likeness of the player's character that you're talking to, leading to a much richer (and more natural) form of social environment.

Edited by anonnn

I agree! I have played a couple MMOs with chat bubble options and they make a big difference in the perception of human presence.
The perception of human presence! Yes! More than one person has described chat bubbles as a mere cartoonish blob on the screen, and I'm not sure why anyone could miss the benefit of it, that with chat bubbles the chat text is strongly associated with the likeness of the player's character that you're talking to, leading to a much richer (and more natural) form of social environment.
These are some great points that hit the nail right on the head with some wonderful wording there. I hope you two don't mind that I stole from it and added it to the top post. :) Edited by Glzmo

These are some great points that hit the nail right on the head with some wonderful wording there. I hope you two don't mind that I stole from it and added it to the top post. :)

Chat Bubbles _ :cool:_ I think we might actually get these some day, and that makes me hopeful for the future of SWToR. I can't even describe how central chat bubbles were to the SWG social environment, they were used every time I was online, to project what I wanted to say into the environment. I don't even specifically remember what the chat console looked like, but I sure as heck remember what the chat bubbles looked like, they were awesome.

I thought of another tidbit ... there should be an additional preferences checkbox for "Show Offscreen Chat Bubbles". If someone out of your visual field types in something that creates a chat bubble, it would show along the side of your screen closest to where you could turn to see the person, and the chat bubble talk-line would drag off the screen so it's obvious it's an out-of-view person talking. Maybe these could also be displayed in noticeably smaller text to give a strong visual indication of what you're looking at when there are a large number of chat bubbles on-screen.

A neat thing with chat bubbles in general would be if clicking on a chat bubble makes the speaker your current target, and double-clicking a chat bubble would in addition swivel you around to face the speaker.

I hope sooner or later BioWare kind of snaps out of the narrow focus they have on features, and puts in major enhancements to the social environment. Dance floors where the tiles light up as you walk and dance on them, social droids that imbue you with a unique social ability for the next minute, huge numbers of actively animated emotes, private instanced lounges that can be decorated with items and sittable furniture, an in-game event invitation system, etc etc... things that would make it possible to have fun doing nothing more than socializing the entire evening in-game. But by leaps and bounds, Chat Bubbles are at the top of my list.

Oh wow I almost can't believe it that it hasn't been suggested yet (I think), but chat bubbles should be just like here on the forums, where there's the possibility to put smiley-faces :) of varying styles into the chat bubble, you just have to know the right combination of characters _ B-) _ :cool:

I would prefer Biowares time and energy spent on real content, not a bubble over our heads, chat is enough, you can even create custom channels I think I read somewhere.
Well, that has been done for over 2 years now.

I think it would only be fair that those that are waiting for chat bubbles would finally get them. It's been the number one feature the social roleplay community has been craving for since launch and even since before that in beta. And it's been promised to us by Bioware to be done soon over and over again. We were told "be patient, they are coming". We were patient and kept subscribing faithfully to the game in good faith that our money will be used for development of chat bubbles and other social roleplay features just as much as for PVP features - alas, that never happened. And we kept paying for a game that lacked the most important feature for us that would make it fun: chat bubbles.

I understand that for many that are pure PVEers or PVPers that have never used them, chat bubbles may not mean much (but there are some among those that know and cherish the benefit of utilizing chat bubbles in their playstyle as well). And nobody wants to force the feature upon you. You don't like it, don't turn it on.

But you have to think about the players who's main playstyle is social roleplay that had to take a backseat to all the PVPers and PVEers and their updates for years now. Don't get me wrong, we are happy for PVPers and PVErs getting their content and I support that, too, but it would be super nice and fair if the PVPers and PVEers that only care for their own playstyle would support us roleplayers and socializers for a change. Please look at it from our perspective for once.

You need to realize that for many of us, Chat bubbles are of the same importance as the warzone queue, galactic starfighter hangar or group finder are for the other playstyles. Sure you can organize PVP or PVE without it just like you can organize social gatherings or roleplay, but for many those are still features that are much needed to play with others.

Edited by Stubacca

I wish they would add them of course they’d have to be toggle on/off for those that don't like them but truthful my hope of ever seeing them adding to the game is very low. As for the people saying they need to focus on other content they have expand almost all other area of the game so there no reason this feature shouldn't be added. Grup finder isn’t needed to do flashpoint/operation but it a nice feature to have, so would cjat bubbles. Actual I was quite surprise that they didn’t have this feature added in the first year, as all the MMO I've played have always had them. Oh well I keep my finger crossed that maybe well get them this year.