Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

Where did you get the idea it would be forced? This thread is about a toggle option to enable chat bubbles. Nothing else. If you'd have read the quotes in the top post, you'd know that the developers already said "whenever we do them, they'll be toggleable.". Gotta love the naysayers that barge in and post against something when they haven't even read the first post properly.

Besides, the implementation they had during beta had a toggle option as well, and judging by Bioware's track record in TOR, they will eventually use the option as it was in beta without any big changes anyway, just like they have done with dynamic shadows, unify colors and other things in the past.

Sorry. Thought I was in General Discussion. I reacted emotionally before I thought, so I'll take my non-constructive criticism back to Gen. Discussion where I will be welcomed with open arms! I still think chat bubbles are pretty "meh," though.

I'm really disappointed by the developer response, but I am glad that they at least looked at the thread and told us SOMETHING. I would like to see this feature added sooner than later, but from the sounds of it, they are having a hard time figuring out how to implement the Chat Bubble system they had in Beta.

Now, I would like for them to discuss in more detail the exact problems they are having fixing the bubbles and in what way the bubbles are causing any sort of client/server/ect lag that they claim.

Is there anyway a Dev could possibly enlighten those of us who are dedicated to Chat Bubbles on the issues and planned fixes for the Chat Bubble System?

It would be so nice if developers actually came in and discussed things with us directly, asking for input and working with us on possible solutions. Chat bubbles are such an essential feature to so many players, yet the developers just ignore that part of the playerbase and churn out large-scale updates for PVE- and PVP- focused players all the time while largely ignoring the third big part of the playerbase - those of roleplayers and socializers. There is a reason why RP servers are among the most populated servers, more populated than most PVP servers, even though RP has been taking a backseat in development. Just imagine how much the increase would be if they would actually start implementing RP tools like chat bubbles, sitting in all chairs, a hood toggle, a barber shop/plastical surgery, a /liedown emote, ways to create their own content etc.. Roleplayers and socializers may become an even bigger part of the player base. And roleplayers and social players are the players that typically remain loyal to the game the longest and could be considered the core player base if they are just cared for a bit, while PVPers and PVEers often just move on to the next big game. And roleplayers/social players are also the ones spending most money in free to play games on outfits, emotes and other fluff things...Bioware seems to totally ignore this fact.

But without even such simple tools as chat bubbles, a very large part of Roleplayers and social players have left shortly after launch, and now that many of them have given TOR another chance for free to play and seen that RP/social features like chat bubbles that were promised a year ago are still missing, they are beginning to leave in droves again. Just check out the RP community sites. There is a huge part of the active community there that is only waiting for chat bubbles to be added to return...yet it doesn't happen.

I've been loyal to this games since pre-launch, had two 6 months subscriptions in good faith that Bioware would finally deliver chat bubbles. I've been paying the subscription so they would add features useful for me, the top most being chat bubbles, followed by other RP and social features. Yet all they did with my money is pay for content for the PVP and PVE part of the player base instead of providing me with a simple and essential way to enjoy my content - chat bubbles.

This time when my subscription lapses, I'll certainly be one of the many people that won't renew their subscription and won't even bother with paying to play the free to play game until chat bubbles are finally implemented. I will give TOR another shot...whenever that may be.

Edited by Stubacca

SWTOR is the only game I am playing where people are trying to gather socially and just play. If you go to a bar on any planet or in fleet you will see groups of players trying to interact using the ancient scroll system. It looks goofy, like they are all statues, and it is hard to sort out who is saying what, or to whom.

HUGE win with me if this is turned on. I came back to SWTOR for that community I could not find in Rift or GW2, lots of chat bubbles and tools there, but no community.

Please, I would like chat bubbles.:cool:

Another game update, another disapointment - still no chat bubbles.

Bioware, I do pay for a subscription as well. Is it to much to ask for a roleplay/socialize feature I'm waiting for since launch?

PvE content - check, they got updates. PvP content - check, they got updates. RP content - MIA.

SWTOR is the only game I am playing where people are trying to gather socially and just play. If you go to a bar on any planet or in fleet you will see groups of players trying to interact using the ancient scroll system. It looks goofy, like they are all statues, and it is hard to sort out who is saying what, or to whom.

HUGE win with me if this is turned on. I came back to SWTOR for that community I could not find in Rift or GW2, lots of chat bubbles and tools there, but no community.

Please, I would like chat bubbles.:cool:

This is something I also like. The community here is great! Just like the old Star Wars MMO, which also had WAY better RP features.

I would love to be standing in a bar interacting with players and seeing exactly who said what via chat bubbles. It would make my day that much better!

My subscription expires in two days. I have cancelled my subscription and won't renew it because there are no speech bubbles. As a socializer and roleplayer I simply can't enjoy playing the game without them. I also won't play the game as free to play, as it makes no sense to me. Only if people stop playing will Bioware/EA finally realize that speech bubbles are an important feature that should have topmost priority to be implemented and not just pushed back for every stupid little idea they have. When will you finally deliver on this feature that's so incredibly important to a large part of your player base and an even larger part of those potential subscribers still waiting in the wings until you finally implement it? Stop making up stupid excuses, take speech bubbles off the wall of crazy and into a design document and implement them already!

I am planning to resubscribe and play the game once speech bubbles are implemented. Note, however, that the longer it takes, the less likely it will be that I'll return and ever give Bioware/EA any of my money again.

For Glzmo and all the other wonderful people that have been fighting for this essential feature to be implemented, keep up fighting the good fight! I hope your efforts will be bearing fruit soon. When they do, we'll see each other again.

I'm hereby signing off until the day speech bubbles for spatial chat are in the game. Farewell!

Edited by Cave

If we can get the number of posts in this thread to 10,000 will the OP win a prize?

Oh, and BTW, I totally support this thread.

The prize of finally getting chat bubbles implemented? I hope that will happen sooner.

Every day I see in the game and many new players that are looking for a chat bubbles options but can't find it and are disappointed when told there is none. Many loose interest in the game after that. Doesn't Bioware understand how many potential customers they are scaring away due to the lack of this feature?

Edited by Stubacca

I vote no for chat bubbles they make the game look silly and have no real purpose other then being another thing that needs to be rendered in the game.

There are a lot of other things to work on this something this benign.

That is why Chat Bubbles should be implemented with exclusion settings such as from-friends-only or from-group-only. Plus a setting to switch off Chat Bubbles completely, which should leave nay-sayers with nothing to complain about.

And was > benign < the word you meant to use? Because that means "good" which is of course agreeable terminology for describing Chat Bubbles.

Bioware, give all of us a status update on this feature.

How can all other MMO's have chat bubbles and this game does not?

What's the real hold up?

Revan's mask clipping through hoods and no chat bubble.

Fix it, or just tell us this game will not have chat bubbles implemented, period!

Hey they can be a happy new year present maybe ? pretty please ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

New Year's Day is a definite possibility!

Just not sure what year...

Also, too, as well as, in addition to, you usually don't give gifts for New Years... At least not in my family.

:confused:

Over one year later this thread is still going strong and garnering new supporters for the implementation of chat bubbles every day. Thank you very much for your support. I hope we can keep it up and convince the developers from Bioware/EA to finally focus on implementing chat bubbles really, really soon.

Perhaps it's also time to go on the offensive. If want chat bubbles, add the demand to your forum signature and post about your desire for them to be implemented every way you can, be it in threads made by developers (make it constructive and related to the topic discussed), send them tweets with #swtorchatbubbles on Twitter, spread it on facebook, google+ and other social networking sites, make your fellow players in the game aware of the issue and have them support chat bubbles as well!

For the first anniversary of this thread, here is a treat for you. It's a mockup on how chat bubbles options and chat bubble styles in TOR could look like (screenshot collage made with SWG).

Keep supporting this thread and fighting the good fight!

Over one year later this thread is still going strong and garnering new supporters for the implementation of chat bubbles every day.

Don't kid yourself.. This thread is just endlessly bumped by the same people over and over again.. The sad thing is that you all are allowed to do it..

I don't get why people come into a constructive thread and try to derail it. If one looks at the past posts, one will see that there have been tons of posts in support by people who have never posted in this thread before.

Chat bubbles are something a large part of the community wants. They shall not be ignored any longer!

I bought this game at launch but left after a month for many reasons (the lack of speech bubbles was one of many reasons why i quit), but now I am back and I see some nice improvements, but still no speech bubbles? What is going on? Have the requests simply been ignored? Come on Bioware!!!!!

If they add Chat Bubbles at some point, can everyone please forego any pessimistic "it's about time" rantings or somesuch, and actually gloat for them with some "praise the makers"? There's no telling what kind of pre-existing software architecture in their game could be making it more complicated to add Chat Bubbles, so while it might seem a simple thing to add the bubbles, the actual part where they add the actual Chat Bubbles could leave them feverishly frustrated and screaming at themselves in the mirror in-between coding attempts... for all we know. And the main complication could be increased blitties of network traffic just from Chat Bubbles that just keeps the server pegged at past maximum capabiilty for its design.

Same goes for any other feature of course, but in particular this one, because once Chat Bubbles get into the game, it's going to be all good for the gaming environment. The impending possibility of them making it into the game is exciting