Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

The technical problem here is the UI (which I think has something to do with the second SWTOR process you can see running in task manager). The UI possibly fudges visible latency in abilities coming back from the server.

Its performance is problematic, as evidenced by numerous Starmap performance fixes over time.

Any chatbubbles would definitely affect this performance negatively.

Edited by Ycoga

The technical problem here is the UI (which I think has something to do with the second SWTOR process you can see running in task manager). The UI possibly fudges visible latency in abilities coming back from the server.

Its performance is problematic, as evidenced by numerous Starmap performance fixes over time.

Any chatbubbles would definitely affect this performance negatively.

Still want them. I think that they can be changed or fixed to work fine with what we have. Its 2012, almost 2013, not 1980 anymore :p. I have faith in the technology we have today lol.

Hopefully the UI team will finally tackle the addition of chat bubbles for /say, /yell and /emote chat once Game Update 1.5 with the Cartel Market, new quickbars and other GUI upgrades is out. Edited by Glzmo

I have not talked to anyone in this game unless it is done via whispers, there has been lots of times people has tried to talk to me out in the world via say but I have not noticed it since there is no other way than looking at the chat window. Chat bubbles are essential to develope good communication between people, and is one of the things I want the most in this game. I actually find it very puzzling that it has not been implemented yet.

Please give us back the beloved Chat bubbles from SWG !

I my opinion only with them RP will be able to develop as it should be. RP in the current chat window is not practicable and it hanicaps the ingame RP scope.

:csw_trooper:

Edited by Lorat

I my opinion only with them RP will be able to develop as it should be. RP in the current chat window is not practicable and it hanicaps the ingame RP scope.

Agreed. And in a social, communication and casual player scope in general as well. I'm afraid the free to play launch will do far worse than it would if speech bubbles where there for spatial chat. Thus I hope they'll add them next. Edited by Cave

Please! At this point, I'd be happy with ANY form of Chat Bubbles... Just give us Chat bubbles already.....

After almost a year with SWTOR I got totally used to the lack of chat bubbles. It does't concern me and the RP is not hard without them. I would think that getting used to having chat bubbles would be worst for me. :) But I still believe that things like chat bubbles should be in for launch, with an option of disabling them.

I have to say that after having played SWG for 8 years, 1 year without Chat Bubbles has not erased my memory of the ease Chat Bubbles put on my RP.

So, while I am glad to hear your not impeded by the lack of Chat Bubbles, I still want them to be added soon... I will never be 100% used or comfortable without them :/. Just my personal opinion.

Somewhere it's funny as to how something like chat bubbles, being on the short list and all, takes such a number of months to implement.

Definitely hope we'll see them sooner than later though, they definitely help making the place feel more vibrant.

Somewhere it's funny as to how something like chat bubbles, being on the short list and all, takes such a number of months to implement.
It certainly seems like a testament of incompetence. I really hope they will finally be in Patch 1.6, as I sadly can't enjoy playing this game without them.

I have to say that after having played SWG for 8 years, 1 year without Chat Bubbles has not erased my memory of the ease Chat Bubbles put on my RP.

So, while I am glad to hear your not impeded by the lack of Chat Bubbles, I still want them to be added soon... I will never be 100% used or comfortable without them :/. Just my personal opinion.

There are plenty of people that share this feeling and opinion. I'm one of them, as my comfort level while playing without speech bubbles is probably even below 25%. Adding this "little" feature alone would go such a long way and would probably raise my comfort and enjoyment level while playing this game to around 80%. The remaining 20% could be raised by adding some other quality of life features, but speech bubbles would make the biggest positive impact for me by far. Edited by Cave

I for one, want emotes that actaully work... chat bubbles, ok, i can go for that too... but really, when I fast travel, I wave when I arrive, vs waving as I leave. Many of the emotes, are pointless... nothing but a hand gesture or very unimpressive text note in the chat. Come on, when you slap someone, it should SMACK THEM, or when you BONK someone on the head, it should actually BONK them... call me crazy, but emotes in this game (pretty much all the social in this game is pretty bad) are pointless. But yes, GO CHAT BUBBLES TOO, if that makes ya happy. I support whatever, cuz this game really needs some tuning up to keep up with some of the other games out there.

It looks like there will be no chat bubbles for the free to play launch on November 15. Too bad, as the game will likely scare away a lot of casual players, roleplayers and social players due to it. Hopefully after 1.5 is out, the GUI team will finally tackle and finish chat bubbles and add them to the game in time for the holidays. Hopefully it won't be too late by then.

I'm still hoping that we'll get them before the 1 year mark. I hope the 1 year mark brings us a lot of good things, but Chat Bubbles are surely #1 on my list.

Guess regarding how desired is this feature they'll play along the more quick slot bars, meaning you'll have to pay cartel coins for enabling them.

Guess regarding how desired is this feature they'll play along the more quick slot bars, meaning you'll have to pay cartel coins for enabling them.
Now that would be a bad decision. Chat bubbles need to be available as a toggle option for everyone for free. They are such a basic feature, if they charge for them it'll just alienate people.

Now that would be a bad decision. Chat bubbles need to be available as a toggle option for everyone for free. They are such a basic feature, if they charge for them it'll just alienate people.

I was kidding, although considering past choices from SWTOR managers that would not surprise me that much.