Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

I have re-subbed. I have used the cartel market. I have pre-ordered the expansion. I have convinced my whole group of friends to come back and play SWTOR with me.

I am doing my part to support Bioware and SWTOR.

Please meet me in the middle, give me a status on chat bubbles.

If it just cant or wont ever happen, please have the courage to say it. I will show the restraint of an adult and not riot. I have been checking this thread for too long. Please Bioware. Speak to us.

If it just cant or wont ever happen, please have the courage to say it. I will show the restraint of an adult and not riot. I have been checking this thread for too long. Please Bioware. Speak to us.

Too bad Stubacca won't be joining you with that. According to his sig, we're going to RIOT!! :D

Too bad Stubacca won't be joining you with that. According to his sig, we're going to RIOT!! :D
Perhaps that Wookiee-style approach might just work! :)

Seriously, though if Bioware would finally understand the value of chat bubbles, they would move it to top priority for the interface, communication and engine teams to tackle. I'm actually confident that if they fixed whatever issues the engine had with chat bubble performance that would improve overall performance of the engine and game as well. And that would be great for every single player out there.

I would like to see chat bubbles - for other faction. Empire see Republic characters when they /say and vice versa.

The problem with your idea of how, is that chat is most often done through General Chat, which is exclusively a factional communication medium. To make /say and /yell into additionally inter-factional communication would be a breakage of people's natural expectation that they remain factional. I would suggest "global" versions of /say and /yell ... perhaps /gsay and /gyell ? I think that's a better way to achieve what you're asking for. It's nearly as fast to type it, and leaves the inter-factional communication in a separate command where it won't be accidentally used.

Also the /gsay and /gyell chat bubbles could be styled differently so that everyone can visually distinguish the different chat bubbles according to the speaker's intent, which is similar to natural speech where it's usually obvious when someone is projecting their voice towards someone across the room rather than talking softer to someone standing right near themselves.

I still support this idea. As for cross factional bubbles, wouldn't you be able to see Chat Bubbles in the /say channel? Since you can see the other Faction's /say :).
Yes, you would of course.

It's wonderful that so many support the ideas brought up in this thread. Keep it coming and Happy Life Day to you all! My Life Day wish is that chat bubbles will be implemented in one of the next patches, let's see if it becomes true. :)

Edited by Glzmo

Yes, you would of course.

It's wonderful that so many support the ideas brought up in this thread. Keep it coming and Happy Life Day to you all! My Life Day wish is that chat bubbles will be implemented in one of the next patches, let's see if it becomes true. :)

Oh please yes. That'd make my little seething Sith so much more active on the RP stage!

they said, they said, they said. It's misdirection, they're waiting we forget about some things that the game should have. 1 year for somethings? Man when they deliver some things they said on BETA the game's alrady dead.

Capital Ships

Chat Bubbles

Different paths of missions leading to different missions

"A little less conversation a little more action PLEASE"

they said, they said, they said. It's misdirection, they're waiting we forget about some things that the game should have. 1 year for somethings? Man when they deliver some things they said on BETA the game's alrady dead.

Capital Ships

Chat Bubbles

Different paths of missions leading to different missions

"A little less conversation a little more action PLEASE"

Chat Bubbles are a little easier the capital ships and different pahts on misions....

Capital ships would take whole expansion and changin the story now is expensive. Also bioware wuld have to scrap LOADS of VO to do this... Capital Ships? maybe in future expansion... Different paths of missions leading to different missions? Never.

Capital ship is easier, just another map, chatbubble raise the number of graphic particles on the screen decrasing the performance (that's why they didn't make it yet)

But the point isnt whats easier or harder, is they told the game would have those things. The capital ship and different paths they said on beta. But it do not have.

I wasn't aware that /emote and /yell weren't cross faction.

I'm pretty sure I've been /emoted by people from other factions before. However, I've never seen /yell used in any practical way or in proximity of someone on the opposing faction.

While I can see this making the fleet a complete lagging nightmare, I support the implementation of chat bubbles.

In all honesty, I think that the fleets need to be redesigned. Since there are only specific areas on the fleet where stuff can be taken care of (the exception being bank access), this causes players to accumulate in mobs in specific spots. This causes massive frame rate drops. With the addition of chat bubbles, that frame rate drop will be multiplied.

This is why the fleet needs to be redesigned. Making more fleet instances will not fix this issue.

Edited by Soul_of_Flames

So usless as making "x-mass trees" to sell on cartel market.

It's not usless, it improves the communication. Some times a player talk to you but you don't notice that, cos' you dont keep tracking chat channel all the time, when you notice if you notice, the timing to answers gone, sometimes you didn't even notice cos' other people talks and the chat rolls up.

With bubbles you see on your gamescreen that sombody is talking, so u pay more attention and see if its with you.

Not usless at all.

So usless as making "x-mass trees" to sell on cartel market.

It's not usless, it improves the communication. Some times a player talk to you but you don't notice that, cos' you dont keep tracking chat channel all the time, when you notice if you notice, the timing to answers gone, sometimes you didn't even notice cos' other people talks and the chat rolls up.

With bubbles you see on your gamescreen that sombody is talking, so u pay more attention and see if its with you.

Not usless at all.

It's useless. You have a chat screen as well as chat colors and multiple chat windows. Chat bubbles are pointless and a waste of development time.

It's useless. You have a chat screen as well as chat colors and multiple chat windows. Chat bubbles are pointless and a waste of development time.
These things don't help with the spatial recognition of which character on the screen says something where at all. So while you may not care about it, there are lots and lots of current players (and even more potential players that are just waiting for this feature to start playing) that do. For a great many players, this feature is as important to RP and socializing as a group finder is to PVE or the warzones and it's queue mechanic is to PVP.

PVE and PVP centric players have received the most basic tools and more over the past year (and before that during beta) multiple times already, it's high time that RPers and socializers finally get their most basic tools like chat bubbles as well.

Edited by Stubacca

With this logic is usless have the group finder tool when you can chat and get your group to go to the flashpoint.

The same logic apply here, you can do the thing by other ways in the game.

Usless means no use at all, have chat bubble have use, visual aid to chat.

It's so usless that hundreds of players asking for it.

After over 100 pages of posts I suppose this has been done to death, and I've come late to the party, but just wanted to put my verbal support behind chat bubbles. It's another helpful visual cue that I feel would help me not miss what people are saying during those active times in a group.