Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

Another example:

A long time ago, Pirates of the Burning Seas came out, and it had no chat bubbles. This was my first experience of an mmo WITHOUT bubbles (as every other one had them in, and I relied on them), and I felt lost, and sickened. I also quit the game purely because of it.

The main port was flooded with really cool looking characters standing around (cause the game had the best character customization system in the world), but you couldn't tell who was saying what. The game didn't even have nameplates. You had to click each character to see their name.

Then the chat was regional, which covered OTHER ports too. So it was a streaming flood of text, and you couldn't even tell if anyone on your port was talking to you. People were literally standing in corners facing walls, and looking utterly stupid. No one cared about the game world or avatars in front of them... they just played through the global chat window and in ship battles.

It made me baffle, because why have such highly personable character creation, beautiful ports, yet do nothing to get people face to face to appreciate it? Gah? I quit that game pretty quick because of that. Was decent otherwise, but I couldn't stand playing an MMO with such an impersonal setup.

This game SW:TOR is fast heading that way. With all attention from bioware towards fussing with the pvp crybabies, they seem to have forgotten who their root customer base is: RPG PLAYERS.

This isn't battlefield3, call of duty9000, or even team fortress. This is an MMO RPG. Start acting like one!

It's really annoying looking around yourself hovering over everyone to see who said something.

Chat bubbles would not be hard to implement, just copy the code from the name anchor and rename #display.name to #post.say. (i'm no a C++ expert :p)

Possibly slip it into a patch some time :D

I highly agree with this. This is something I absolutely want to see make it in the game. Its very annoying for me to have to use general all the time because no one uses /say and its even more annoying because /say and general look the same in my chat box.

Yeah sure I could change the chat colors, but they could also just add in chat bubbles so I can just use say :).

Could a Moderator please be so kind and move this entire thread to the new Suggestion Box Forum? This is a suggestion, thus it belongs there.

Sure, I could repost this thread there, but there have been so many constructive replies and discussion in this five-star thread (also from players who have sadly cancelled their accounts due to the game lacking chat bubbles and are only waiting for chat bubbles to be implemented to pull the trigger and resubscribe) and it would be a shame to start from scratch there.

Thank you very much!

Edited by Glzmo

This option is critical for me. I've been in so many parties doing flash points, discussing how to take down bosses and only after we wipe or have trouble does someone notice that I've been attempting to give advice for a while.

Also, I think it does help immersion immensely. When I'm standing next to someone in my party I don't want to have to fight with the general chat log to see their responses. I'm not on an RP server, but I would think RP would be absolutely terrible without the option. I wasn't a big fan of people who made speaking Macros in WoW for when they CC'd someone (like saying "lambs to slaughter" as you polymorph somebody) but I can see the appeal.

All in all, this is a must implement and I think a crucial piece of the MMO puzzle.

If you have Chat Bubbles, make sure they can be turned off. Then you will need an icon of some type over the player to let other players know if it is on or off, so they don't think someone is ignoring them when they don't respond to their chat bubble, because they can't see it.

So please, developers, I beg you dearly to add chat bubbles already, they are an essential part of MMOs for many players. Thank you very much!

/wave

Nice to see you over here. I followed your FRS ideas on SWG for years.

Could a Moderator please be so kind and move this entire thread to the new Suggestion Box Forum? This is a suggestion, thus it belongs there.

Sure, I could repost this thread there, but there have been so many constructive replies and discussion in this five-star thread (also from players who have sadly cancelled their accounts due to the game lacking chat bubbles and are only waiting for chat bubbles to be implemented to pull the trigger and resubscribe) and it would be a shame to start from scratch there.

Thank you very much!

Also, I found it most helpful to simply use the "FLAG" button and report the thread with a very detailed and lengthy message for the mods to read in your secret squirrel area.

Edited by Vandrel-Blitz

Another idea is to only have specific places in the game where chat bubbles can be seen, like the Cantinas. The last thing I want as a gamer is a big performace hit because people want to blabber with bubbles over their head.
That would limit roleplay to these special places. Many of us roleplayers would like to roleplay all the time, while questing and otherwise and not be confined to places. Also, there are non-roleplayers who would like to see chat bubbles while questing or doing PVP in a group or even in the open world when they see other players nearby and want to ask them if they are on the same quest as them. There are more of such cases, like people with certain visual impairments that simply need the chat bubbles to be able to play. So no, confining chat bubbles to special places is not an option. Just add a good toggle option to toggle chat bubbles on and off (maybe even add a keybind for quicker access) and it will be fine. People that have performance issues could choose to turn them off in certain situations, and people who don't or don't care and want or even need chat bubbles to enjoy their gameplay could choose to turn them on. Edited by Glzmo

This option is critical for me. I've been in so many parties doing flash points, discussing how to take down bosses and only after we wipe or have trouble does someone notice that I've been attempting to give advice for a while.
A very good point. I've been experiencing the same during my playtime.

Also, I think it does help immersion immensely. When I'm standing next to someone in my party I don't want to have to fight with the general chat log to see their responses. I'm not on an RP server, but I would think RP would be absolutely terrible without the option.

I wasn't a big fan of people who made speaking Macros in WoW for when they CC'd someone (like saying "lambs to slaughter" as you polymorph somebody) but I can see the appeal.

All in all, this is a must implement and I think a crucial piece of the MMO puzzle.

Agreed.

I really like the bullet points you added to the top post for the people lazy to read the prose version (Bioware?). Very nice! Hopefully the developers will finally read, acknowledge the thread and implement chat bubbles immediately! Edited by Stubacca

Another idea is to only have specific places in the game where chat bubbles can be seen, like the Cantinas. The last thing I want as a gamer is a big performace hit because people want to blabber with bubbles over their head.

If you had the option to turn them on or off via your preferences, would it still be an issue?

Just like how everyone can setup the game to their own preference, including enabling things like compartive tooltips, different graphics settings, sound settings etc. The option is given to the "viewer" of the chat bubbles, not just to those who want to use them.

Edited by Tarka