Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

I'm a bit disappointed not having something about chat bubbles on patch notes for patch 1.1 :( It's very easy to miss when someone is talking to you via /say command.

Come on, BioWare, bring us the chat bubbles! It's very important for the social part of the game!

Edited by BrunoLogan

I have to agree. A toggle option for chat bubbles would be very welcome. (Why would you even vote no to such an option as long as it's a toggle function?).

I've missed /s directed towards me more then one time because the just get mixed up with the general chat. and while im questing im not playing much attention to the chat anyway.

(I guess i could create a separate chat windows for /s but with the current limited UI settings there really isn't much room for another chat window.)

It's not just role-players that want this.

I was levelling by my lonesome with the chat tabbed away. Someone had been persistently asking me for help in /say. I'm not sure whether the person knew how to whisper as when I apologised and explained, he/she never replied. Makes me feel awful that someone asked for help and I just pulled a blind eye. Chat bubbles would have fixed this because I shan't lie—the annoying sod was buzzing around me for a while, following me, and I thought him weird when all he was doing was asking for help. If I saw the bubble...

Edited by Triss

I was levelling by my lonesome with the chat tabbed away. Someone had been persistently asking me for help in /say. I'm not sure whether the person knew how to whisper as when I apologised and explained, he/she never replied. Makes me feel awful that someone asked for help and I just pulled a blind eye. Chat bubbles would have fixed this because I shan't lie—the annoying sod was buzzing around me for a while, following me, and I thought him weird when all he was doing was asking for help. If I saw the bubble...

This. i've been in this situation as well. Although the player trying to communicate with me wasn't this persistant :) But still it made me feel bad for not replying to him.

How high exactly is it anyway?

I would think 50 meters for /say and 100 meters for /yell should be a good value. It worked well in SWG, for example.

It seems to be like 100 feet for say, and a half mile for emote (through bulkheads, walls, the void of space... I can see emotes from people on the other side of the Fleet Station arms). Yell I'm not sure on, its a little further then say, but not as far as emote is.

Its just all kinds of broken is what it is. Its just baffling how chat fundamentals have been completely overlooked. Bioware must really not care about the multiplayer part of their game.

If SWG did it RIGHT, 9 YEARS ago... how in the frell can a modern game of today not even come close to that?

Kind of silly watching the dev tracker, and things they (seemingly randomly) choose to make comments in is funny. Some guy complaining about not finding a purple crystal so he will quit? At least there ARE purple crystals in the game! ... *glare*

Kind of silly watching the dev tracker, and things they (seemingly randomly) choose to make comments in is funny. Some guy complaining about not finding a purple crystal so he will quit? At least there ARE purple crystals in the game! ... *glare*
It's pretty disheartening indeed. Perhaps one day in the (hopefully) not to distant future, they will read this thread, reply to it and patch in chat bubbles. Edited by Glzmo

Just a bump and recap:

Key points for the paragraph reading impaired:

• Lack of chat bubbles is breaking immersion.
  • Chat bubbles promote face to face interactions with players.
  • They allow people to focus on the game in front of them, and not a tiny chat window.
  • They are in every mainstream mmorpg.
  • They do not turn the game into a cartoon (animated cartoons have speech bubbles?).
  • Dog-piled chat window is impossible to follow in crowds.
  • Making new channels is not an answer.
  • Defaulted ON so most players know they exist, see and use them for the betterment of the communities.
  • Option to turn off for the anti-social few who like to troll general chat instead.

Some fine reading for widespread support of chat bubbles:

Rant:

After going through all those threads and responses. It seems a horribly large majority are wishing for chat bubbles. While the meager few just want an option to hide them. Oh, but since when is majority desire actually important to bioware? Its amazing how the devs will pick on one thread about something that isn't even an issue, yet flat out ignore major dynamics that are creating a "Game Breaking" situation for many.

I'd be interested to know the reasons why some have already cancelled. Was it because one skill did 15 seconds of damage vs one that did 20? Was it because light side can't use red crystals? Or was it simply because they couldn't find the loot they wanted fast enough?

It couldn't have been the horrible UI, the inflexible nature of the control structure, or lacking basic chat dynamics. I mean, that all is perfect and not possibly game breaking in the least!

Jan 19th (day of the first renewal charge) approaches, and I have not read anything encouraging about the core issues of the game. I know I am borderline. All it would take to keep me (and possibly others) interested, is an official response of intentions with the UI and Chat systems for this MMO. If bioware have not forgotten that the social/community aspect is a huge part of an MMORPG.

:(

Jan 19th (day of the first renewal charge) approaches, and I have not read anything encouraging about the core issues of the game. I know I am borderline. All it would take to keep me (and possibly others) interested, is an official response of intentions with the UI and Chat systems for this MMO. If bioware have not forgotten that the social/community aspect is a huge part of an MMORPG.

:(

I bought the game but removed my subscription information and cancelled. If I wanted to Beta test a game I would have signed up for Beta.

Not having Chat Bubbles in an MMO is like not having a radio in a car. It still drives, but it sure is boring.

I'll check back and resub when Chat Bubbles are implemented. That will be my sign that someone at Bioware cares about the community in this game and I'm thinking they're going to start caring a LOT more come the 19th.

But I can wait.

Edited by monjiay

I bought the game but removed my subscription information and cancelled. If I wanted to Beta test a game I would have signed up for Beta.

Not having Chat Bubbles in an MMO is like not having a radio in a car. It still drives, but it sure is boring.

I'll check back and resub when Chat Bubbles are implemented. That will be my sign that someone at Bioware cares about the community in this game and I'm thinking they're going to start caring a LOT more come the 19th.

But I can wait.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't on a LARGE list of basic features that aren't in the game; it's really sad.

its not a standard feature, in fact not many mmo's have this feature and thats a relief, bloody hate chat bubbles appearing everywhere. totaly no need for them.

We need them in SWTOR more than most MMOs because the chat window in SWTOR is bloody easy to miss.

When a player standing next to me says something, I'll miss is 9/10 times because the /say looks exactly like general chat.

But I can wait.

A very good analogy indeed.

And yes, the game isn't fun for me without chat bubbles either as I can't roleplay with other players without them and it's also hard to communicate with other players at all. The "single player content" can only keep me around so long. And there are other single player games that don't have a monthly fee that do it just as well.

I hope they add chat bubbles soon also. Because since there aren't appearance tabs in the game and everyone looks the same as everyone else close to their own level, it's hard to recognize friends when they are talking in local chat without chat bubbles.

I'd really like to see chat bubbles ASAP. I can't usually go to player held events because trying to read the chatbox with the text scrolling so quickly while simultaneously trying to pick out where in the room the people are, gives me a migraine.

This is INCREDIBLY disappointing and I have to be honest, the gameplay isn't good enough in TOR to keep me playing long term. RP however, is.

I'd really like to see chat bubbles ASAP. I can't usually go to player held events because trying to read the chatbox with the text scrolling so quickly while simultaneously trying to pick out where in the room the people are, gives me a migraine.

This is INCREDIBLY disappointing and I have to be honest, the gameplay isn't good enough in TOR to keep me playing long term. RP however, is.

Amen!

Really, RP is nearly impossible without chat bubbles. Add chat bubbles and I will play this game for many years to come. Leave them out and watch me cancel my subscription as it's just not good enough for a game with a premium monthly fee in 2012 (or years earlier!). Simple as that.