What is a rollback -exactly-?

Antares_Navaar

Let's just say I'll be amazed if character data is not stored on separate secure array and if server content (geodata) is rolled back, the worst thing that can happen to you is that you end up on the Fleet instead of the last spot you logged off.

His post says "some areas" which means most likely not your character. If character progression is lost..well...i'll be damn peeved off but at the same time all I lost was a run through Lost Island Normal mode..and I'll have to rebuy some stuff from a gear vendor other than that..I mean as long as I'm not OUT of the creds / commedations I spent then ... I'll just be a sad panda that I didn't get to play at lunch but I'll live.

So far they said that a few areas (1.2 new or changed areas like Black Hole) were accidently removed from the server's live assets and reverted to 1.1.5 status, meaning the server could not load characters that were logged off in those places. If it's a simple map data issue like that, there should not be a revert of actual player data.

If they have to rollback to pre-1.2 anything you've done since the release of 1.2 would be lost. Consider it similar to a System Restore for your computer.

Wait, yesterday we did the new ops, and i got a rakata chestpiece, i had it equipped to my character. does that mean i wont have it anymore?

When a patch is installed for any software update it replaces old data files with new data files.

A rollback simply replaces the new data files with the old data files and undoes the patch.

Rollback probably isn't the best word to describe what is happening today though.

His post says "some areas" which means most likely not your character. If character progression is lost..well...i'll be damn peeved off but at the same time all I lost was a run through Lost Island Normal mode..and I'll have to rebuy some stuff from a gear vendor other than that..I mean as long as I'm not OUT of the creds / commedations I spent then ... I'll just be a sad panda that I didn't get to play at lunch but I'll live.

Yeah. I got 200k credits and 6 levels. I heard a rumor about this and got worried. I don't want to do all that again, it'd just be annoying.

Let's just say I'll be amazed if character data is not stored on separate secure array and if server content (geodata) is rolled back, the worst thing that can happen to you is that you end up on the Fleet instead of the last spot you logged off.

Well let's say for example you completed an awesome run and got 4 pieces of Rakata armor in the new 4 man. If they roll back to pre 1.2 your armor would be gone.

Edited by SikrouDeco

Well let's say for example you completed an awesome run and got 4 pieces of Rakata armor in the new 4 man. If they roll back to pre 1.2 your armor would be gone.

So it's only new content? Everything I achieved could have been achieved before the patch. So I won't be affected, assuming this happens? Which I'm not saying it will.

Yeah. I got 200k credits and 6 levels. I heard a rumor about this and got worried. I don't want to do all that again, it'd just be annoying.

Chances are that they won't roll back character data. What they mean is probably some of the back-end support for the legacy features got gimped by a misplaced keystroke. It happens. Even the best programmers and IT-techs make booboos every now and then.

So wait and see, but I'm sure your character will be fine.

The game isn't getting rolled back...l2 internet before trolling such a bad post.

"Star Wars: The Old Republic" servers are down to repair missing character, areas, and a few broken elevators. In-Game's Todd Kenreck reports.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/in-game/47043099/#47043099

The idea of a rollback btw...thats lol

A roll back would happen if the system is proven unstable. Then they would reload their last fall back version.

Chances are that they won't roll back character data. What they mean is probably some of the back-end support for the legacy features got gimped by a misplaced keystroke. It happens. Even the best programmers and IT-techs make booboos every now and then.

Quickest way to find bugs is upload and go live...lol I've chased my share of dropped ' amd ; etc... It can be a real pain in the ... finding them.

Edited by SikrouDeco

The game isn't getting rolled back...l2 internet before trolling such a bad post.

"Star Wars: The Old Republic" servers are down to repair missing character, areas, and a few broken elevators. In-Game's Todd Kenreck reports.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/in-game/47043099/#47043099

The idea of a rollback btw...thats lol

No need to be an ***. I just saw it hanging around the forums a lot and was genuinely curious. If this post is any inconvienence to you, back button.

Phew .. Good thing they don't employ the best programmers then cus we would really be stuffed.