why is my launcher allready downloading patch?

jersyiii

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not complaining mind you, these things happen,

So if other services that you paid a monthly fee for (like, say, internet, phone, TV) went out for a day and half because someone "goofed" you'd just be like "Eh, no problem, I don't need any money back or anything, big companies make mistakes!"

Too late now, the patch is installing and if I have to re-install the whole game or can't play for today I hope I get a free day reimbursed onto my account.

Seriously...please tell me your kidding? Just find something else to play for a day ...sheesh.

I am not an employee but I can give you my advice coming from a computer background..

Stop the Download now and either wait for them to reply or you can try to repair the launcher as well. Hopefully if you stop the launcher it shouldn't patch anything at all.

If you did download the patch then odds are your kinda SOL..As far as I am aware there wont be a way to revert to last patch files if it installed already. You COULD try a repair and see but that may not help either. At this point I would suggest moving the directory somewhere else and starting a FRESH DL from swtor.com or wherever you can DL it from..

Keep in mind many peoples internet as of late has bandwidth caps recently added to them usually in the 100-200 gig range per month. So this is going to take a huge hit on that.. Which is also why I suggest moving the directory or whatnot and just DLing a different one so you don't have to Re-DL it all again tomorrow. This way you can just jump right in to playing tomorrow if you use the moved files launcher and such.

Anyhow hope it helps someone, and I totally don't blame anyone for wanting to slap bioware for this..

Edited by Rakunvar

I am not an employee but I can give you my advice coming from a computer background..

Stop the Download now and either wait for them to reply or you can try to repair the launcher as well. Hopefully if you stop the launcher it shouldn't patch anything at all.

If you did download the patch then odds are your kinda SOL..As far as I am aware there wont be a way to revert to last patch files if it installed already. You COULD try a repair and see but that may not help either. At this point I would suggest moving the directory somewhere else and starting a FRESH DL from swtor.com or wherever you can DL it from..

Keep in mind many peoples internet as of late has bandwidth caps recently added to them usually in the 100-200 gig range per month. So this is going to take a huge hit on that.. Which is also why I suggest moving the directory or whatnot and just DLing a different one so you don't have to Re-DL it all again.

Anyhow hope it helps someone, and I totally don't blame anyone for wanting to slap bioware for this..

Too late for me. I didnt notice it in time to cancel/stop it. Now I cant login to play.

Seriously...please tell me your kidding? Just find something else to play for a day ...sheesh.

well considering he paid money to play.. a reimbursement sounds right.

now if it were a B2P or F2P then yeah play something else.

Everyone, we advise that you do not log into the launcher until we can provide more information. Thank you for hanging on while we get more info for you.

Allison there is a small problem with that. Not everyone will check the forums first before logging in. That's what happened with me I opened the game and saw the patch and was like what... Then I came here and saw your post.

wait i cant play today due to the patch? wow.. better get a reimbursement for this mess up.

cant login w/o the launcher.. and launcher gives the patch -_-

Yeah this just sucks. I wanted to get in a couple hours before I ran to do some laundry. Now I might as well just do the laundry.

fixed?

right now i'm redownloading 12 GB of data

sigh

If thats the case I am going to let mine finish patching and not worry about getting any time in today. Cause I don't want to redownload 12 GB, that would take all day on my connection.

If anyones downloading now i'd just close the launcher, it won't do anything if it isn't installed yet so once its fixed we should be able to play.

Whew thats good. I was worried if I hit Exit that it would bork my install causing me to reinstall the whole game. Or it would just restart the patch again. Glad that I now have the Play button and no patch downloading.

If you did download the patch then odds are your kinda SOL..As far as I am aware there wont be a way to revert to last patch files if it installed already. You COULD try a repair and see but that may not help either. At this point I would suggest moving the directory somewhere else and starting a FRESH DL from swtor.com or wherever you can DL it from.

Or you could be patient and wait for official word on what to do if you managed to download and install the patch.

So if other services that you paid a monthly fee for (like, say, internet, phone, TV) went out for a day and half because someone "goofed" you'd just be like "Eh, no problem, I don't need any money back or anything, big companies make mistakes!"

Yeah I do actually, internet drops especially happen every now and again when I need them for work - it's not acceptable, but errors do happen and things do go wrong sometimes.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not sitting here offering BioWare a hug saying "It's okay, we're friends" or anything, but I walked into a (what looks like) 5 minute screwup window and got unlucky. I'll only be annoyed if I have to download 20GB + the patch tomorrow on top of not having access to SWTOR for the night.

Sorry I'm poor and can only afford one game. Was looking forward to doing some last minute shopping today before they get rid of some stuff in 1.2. So now thanks! I'm asking for free speeders, free lightsaber crystals and a free day because I accidentally downloaded the patch a day early. (And yes I know they won't give me any of these I just like having pseudo free speech on these forums and "suggest" to them that if they want happy customers, when they **** up, they compensate us for what we pay for.)

What's REALLY funny is that more people than ever will be logging in to do all their stuff they need to do before 1.2 because BW only gave them 24hours notice and now BW has locked all those people out of the game...........

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry I'm poor and can only afford one game. Was looking forward to doing some last minute shopping today before they get rid of some stuff in 1.2. So now thanks! I'm asking for free speeders, free lightsaber crystals and a free day because I accidentally downloaded the patch a day early. (And yes I know they won't give me any of these I just like having pseudo free speech on these forums and "suggest" to them that if they want happy customers, when they **** up, they compensate us for what we pay for.)

Lol your poor but you going shopping... find the error

Allison there is a small problem with that. Not everyone will check the forums first before logging in. That's what happened with me I opened the game and saw the patch and was like what... Then I came here and saw your post.

Well the problem is solved now for (1) those who never even started downloading it and (2) those who started downloading it and canceled. The remaining problem is those who downloaded all of it. There needs to be word on what those players should do and my guess is that is what they are working on right now.

why would he be kidding? obviously you can do something else for the day, but he paid for a service, the mistake of the company caused him to be out of that service for a day that he paid for. it's fully reasonable for him to expect something like that.

if you ordered a pizza and it came 2 hours late, would you be upset with that pizza place? or would you just think "ill just find something else to eat".

mistakes happen, thats life. im not going to flip out cus bioware made a mistake of accidently putting part of the patch up breaking my game making me reinstall the whole thing. sure i dont really get to play this afternoon, but i'd be nice if bioware admitted the mistake and made up for it.

alot of restaurants give a free meal if your first meal you ordered was ruined somehow. why is it unreasonable to expect a free day because they ruined a days worth of paid play?

Everyone, we advise that you do not log into the launcher until we can provide more information. Thank you for hanging on while we get more info for you.

Yeah... bit late on that notice for me. Stuck on a spinning wheel screen trying to get to server select.

any advise / instructions on how to play maybe ? there is not any known way to launch swtor.exe without launcher.exe ...