Guide: Crew Skills

Goshee

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should add that unlearning a skill deletes all "XP" gained for that skill, as well as any blue schematics that you have learned for that craft! So choose your craft wisely!

Also, reverse engineering stims or health packs will destroy the whole slot you choose, so if you have multiple items they will all be destroyed.

I dont think this guide is accurate. If you look at the dev post for the chest color match feature removal he goes into the new gear system with the orange items. It looks like all the orange recipes are from underworld trading now. I do not know what affect, if any, this has on Investigation, but looks like they did a switch for recipes.

Here is the link.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/some-clarifications-item-modifications

Edited by Hindricks

During beta i noticed my companion made a weapon which was green BUT it was a good success( if i remember right) and caused the item to create a mod slot. So yeah little something to think about to. So yeah more bonus to craft from companion better chance of mod slots being added to the item.

If you want a somewhat more opinionated review of the crew skills, and why you might want to pick certain things, or what to avoid, there is a good section in the Sith Assassin Codex / Jedi Shadow Guide:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=778#Crew%20Skills

The tl;dr that I've gotten from all the guides I read pre-wipe are that in the end it comes down to either Biochem or Cybertech, depending on whether you fancy stims or crowd control grenades. I'm going to go with Biochem, since, if beta is any indication, buying stims from the vendors becomes a huge credit sink rather quickly, and the BOP and reuseable stims seem like they will be great kit for endgame PvE.

Another way to choose is either Biochem if you want to make implants or Cybertech if you want to make mods (and plan to use gear that can benefit from them).

From the reports of long term beta players, it appears that the armor and weapon crafting skills are not awful, but you will blow a lot of credits to level them up, and wind up crafting a lot of stuff that you have outleveled by the time you get the materials and schematics needed to make it. And you will pick up all the gear and mods you need just by doing quests along the way.

Although slicing had a reputation for being a credit faucet early on, it got nerfed by the time late stage beta rolled around. By the end, recommendations were that you should choose your crafting skill first, then always choose the designated gathering and mission skills that go with it, if you plan to craft at all. Choosing off-plan skills, like three gathering skills, only makes sense if your plan is to sell to crafters.

Edited by Heezdedjim

Why doesn't this have a sticky?

Definitely sticky worthy

Probably because it is not accurate.

It does not cover the latest changes crafting. i.e. orange items and how to get recipes (underworld trading)

Edited by Hindricks

You should add that unlearning a skill deletes all "XP" gained for that skill, as well as any blue schematics that you have learned for that craft! So choose your craft wisely!

Also, reverse engineering stims or health packs will destroy the whole slot you choose, so if you have multiple items they will all be destroyed.

Thanks for all the information Mr! I have added it to the guide :)

It does not cover the latest changes crafting. i.e. orange items and how to get recipes (underworld trading)

Orange recipes are those of custom quality and allow modifications as far as I'm aware.

Updating the thread to further clarify the new changes to modding and custom gear. I will also write a section on custom gear to explain a bit more :3.

Edited by Goshee

Excellent, excellent guide.

I'm going to bump and tag this.

Also, I have a general question since I'm not in the game yet, and I didn't take note when I had a chance in the beta:

1. What does it cost to train a crew skill?
  2. How does changing your chosen crew skills work?

Thanks. :)

I have added a section under the general tips area regarding the changes implemented with custom gear. Thanks for pointing this out Hindricks I appreciate it!

Excellent, excellent guide.

I'm going to bump and tag this.

Also, I have a general question since I'm not in the game yet, and I didn't take note when I had a chance in the beta:

1. What does it cost to train a crew skill?
  2. How does changing your chosen crew skills work?

Thanks. :)

The cost was minimal from what I can remember. I can't give you an accurate answer myself as I'm not in early game access at this moment in time.

You can open up the crew skills tab 'N' to see a list of all your current companions and crew skills.

If you have 3 skills already and want to train another, you will first have to unlearn a crew skill.

Unlearning is as implied, unlearning. You will completely remove all progress from your crew skill and any schematics trained will be lost (including rare ones).

If in the future you decide to pick up the same skill again you will have to start at rank 1 of the skill and work your way back up.