Guide: Crew Skills

Goshee

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IM going to take the best gathering skills for low end game so I can get my funds up for companion kits and speeder, then change them to what I want around 20-26

what dose everyone think are the best skills for that?

I found slicing good as you can get good stuff out from those lock boxes in game

I've posted this question before, but I haven't really received an answer so I'm bringing it here:

What is the point of Synthweaving/Armormech?

To my knowledge, neither of these skills make mods in their current forums. They can make orange armor, but orange armor doesn't seem to be rare and (except aesthetically) orange = orange so the value here seems extremely limited.

Non/Partially modable greens/blues/purples seem to be of questionable value as they are, at best, placeholders until you get an orange and a set of mods for the given slot (once you do, you may as well try to go the mod route while you level).

I'd really appreciate it if someone who knows could explain what the point of these skills are post-revision.

Thanks

It is true that these skills do not produce their own mods but they can and do produce armour with mods in them. These are only produced in the rarepurple items as far as I'm aware.

Whilst moddable items aren't rare its nice to have a constant flow of them whilst you are leveling. I guess its a trade off, would you want to create mods with cybertech yet rely on random drops or buying items from the AH? Or would you prefer to have decent armour throughout whilst buying the mods.

Nearly all items you create in synthweaving have an augment slot, the more advanced giving you the full range.

Perhaps a good idea is to take synthweaving or armormech on your main, and cybertech on an alt.

This way by the time you reach leveling cap you could already have all the armour you need throughout leveling an alt and be making your own mods at the same time. That is of course if you plan on playing more than one character.

say I choose cybertech-scavenging-underworld trading, if i maxed scavenging and want to switch to slicing, would I loose all progress in scavenging?

When you remove a skill you completely remove all its progress. Re-learning the same skill would then start you off at level 1 again.

So, yes you would lose all progress in scavenging.

It is true that these skills do not produce their own mods but they can and do produce armour with mods in them. These are only produced in the rarepurple items as far as I'm aware.

Whilst moddable items aren't rare its nice to have a constant flow of them whilst you are leveling. I guess its a trade off, would you want to create mods with cybertech yet rely on random drops or buying items from the AH? Or would you prefer to have decent armour throughout whilst buying the mods.

Nearly all items you create in synthweaving have an augment slot, the more advanced giving you the full range.

Perhaps a good idea is to take synthweaving or armormech on your main, and cybertech on an alt.

This way by the time you reach leveling cap you could already have all the armour you need throughout leveling an alt and be making your own mods at the same time. That is of course if you plan on playing more than one character.

Good point. I guess if you want to be successful crafter in SWTOR you should make atleast 2-3 alts. Some specialized on only on gathering.

Can someone tell me what is the average duration on CREW skill missions at LVL 50 and maxed out crew skill -400 or whatever (how much time you wait for your companion to do the most complicated and expensive mission)

and +1 to make this guide sticky

Edited by anabolbg

During beta I took Biochem, Bioanalysis and Diplomacy.

When running diplomatic missions, I eventually ran low on dark sided missions, is there a way to get rid of the Light sided missions without running them?

Mission skills don't work the same way as crafting skills. You unlock more missions as you increase your level. Completing missions however also increases your skill level in the crew skill as normal.

It would seem they give you an even number. At level 10 you will be able to do 8 missions, 4 of which will be light side, the other 4 dark side. If you complete these before level 12 you will have to wait until level 12 to get new ones for example.

For a list of all diplomacy missions look here

This link will explain to you what level you need to be for the mission to unlock and the skill you must be in diplomacy for you to begin it.

Hope this helps!

Edit: I'm unsure as to whether there is an option to let you hide light side or dark side missions.

Edited by Goshee

IM going to take the best gathering skills for low end game so I can get my funds up for companion kits and speeder, then change them to what I want around 20-26

what dose everyone think are the best skills for that?

I found slicing good as you can get good stuff out from those lock boxes in game

I think cybertech will be one of the best sources of income as it allows you to create modifications which can be used by all classes. Especially if most people will be taking an armour or weapom crafting skill.

Then if you were to choose cybertech I would suggest scavenging and underworld trading to go with it!

Good point. I guess if you want to be successful crafter in SWTOR you should make atleast 2-3 alts. Some specialized on only on gathering.

Can someone tell me what is the average duration on CREW skill missions at LVL 50 and maxed out crew skill -400 or whatever (how much time you wait for your companion to do the most complicated and expensive mission)

and +1 to make this guide sticky

Indeed so.

The average duration? hmm... I'm not entirely sure.

I have read somewhere that crew skills can take between a couple of minutes to 24 hours. It also depends on your companions affection rating, the higher it is the less time it will take.

We will have to wait until someone is level 50 to find out!

How do I find new recipes? Is reverse engineering the only way? I spent the entire Beta Weekend only being able to craft the first three Synthweaving items.

lol ^^

You should visit your crew skill trainer every so often to learn new recipes. Yes, Reverse Engineering will sometimes give you a higher version schematic of the item you RE'd.

The mission skill Investigation also gives rare schematics to all professions.

lol ^^

You should visit your crew skill trainer every so often to learn new recipes. Yes, Reverse Engineering will sometimes give you a higher version schematic of the item you RE'd.

The mission skill Investigation also gives rare schematics to all professions.

And where is he? Because the guy I thought was the crew skills trainer did nothing once I'd gotten the initial skills.

He just stood there.

Of course it's possible I was going to the entirely wrong place.

He will only give you new skills once you have the right skill level to learn them.

He is found in the crew skills area of the space station you arrive in after finishing your starting planet.

Make sure you talk to the right trainer ^^