Please ignore misinformed posts about GS

moltig

There are too many people who only come to post on the forum if they have a problem- especially emotional, non-factual rants about how such and such class sucks and is underpowered.

I am a gunslinger on the server Mandalore the Indomidable, I am in a 10/10 Nghtmare guild, and we have the world first clear of the new Denova operation on PTS.

I wreck face in PVP

If you are having trouble playing this class, and all you are finding is QQ threads- PM me, since I cannot moderate this thread- and I will help wherever I can. If you do not like the advice I have to give, you are free to crawl the forums for a second opinion.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/whispers in moltig's ear...

Bro, most people aren't very good at playing their class, and believe me, they will never stop blaming their class for their inability to play it, nor will they stop coming here to complain about it openly. When you suck at something in an MMO, you have to tell everyone how much it sucks.

Obviously, this does not happen in games like Battlefield 3, because you would be laughed out of the room for being terrible in less than an instant. Only the MMO community is this strong with the Whine, and it will only get worse.

Edited by Blistrich

/whispers in moltig's ear...

Bro, most people aren't very good at playing their class, and believe me, they will never stop blaming their class for their inability to play it, nor will they stop coming here to complain about it openly. When you suck at something in an MMO, you have to tell everyone how much it sucks.

Obviously, this does not happen in games like Battlefield 3, because you would be laughed out of the room for being terrible in less than an instant. Only the MMO community is this strong with the Whine, and it will only get worse.

Precisely why I opened up for PM's. Seeing as how 18 people have PM'ed me with honest constructive questions, It is quite apparent that taking the trolls out of the equation provides a far more productive Q/A. When you have a question tho feel free to PM me- as you have proven, the thread is useful for little more than half baked opinions.

P.S. If you are insinuating there is a skill level involved with playing BF3 I have bad news for you.

There are too many people who only come to post on the forum if they have a problem- especially emotional, non-factual rants about how such and such class sucks and is underpowered.

I am a gunslinger on the server Mandalore the Indomidable, I am in a 10/10 Nghtmare guild, and we have the world first clear of the new Denova operation on PTS.

I wreck face in PVP

If you are having trouble playing this class, and all you are finding is QQ threads- PM me, since I cannot moderate this thread- and I will help wherever I can. If you do not like the advice I have to give, you are free to crawl the forums for a second opinion.

A community member with ACTUAL interest in helping the community.

+1

See what he did there? He didn't even QQ about people QQing :-)

Is it possible for you to anonymously post PMs and your response? I just started GS so I don't even know where to begin as far as questions go and I'd like to see what advice you have to go as you seem both informed and helpful. Thanks!

Sure Trevah, but as a general know-how for Gunslingers, I would consult one of the many Stickys at the top of the GS thread. This post is more of a Q/A or directive approach for those having trouble with the class after having played explicitly, However I will turn no question down, if after managing to digest the boatload of info from the sticky's you still have questions, just send me a message and I will try to help you best I can.

As one of the 18 people to PM Moltig, I certainly appreciate the lenghty, well written thoughtful response he provided me. I will try out his suggestions including respeccing my character over the weekend.

He is providing a great service to the GS community and should be commended for it.

Sure Trevah, but as a general know-how for Gunslingers, I would consult one of the many Stickys at the top of the GS thread. This post is more of a Q/A or directive approach for those having trouble with the class after having played explicitly, However I will turn no question down, if after managing to digest the boatload of info from the sticky's you still have questions, just send me a message and I will try to help you best I can.

Thanks for the PM moltig. I've been reading up on the guides, I just always appreciate new info. Especially from someone intelligent.

I also wanted to promote this guide in case people want pretty in-depth PVP help:

http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/Thread-FlyinFungi-s-Marksman-Sniper-PvP-Guide-More-Pew-Pew-Less-QQ

I love the GS class. It has presented an enjoyable, yet sometimes frustrating challenge. As most GS'rs would say, the class is difficult to master.

What I am struggling with most is the secondary stat caps.

In previous mmo's there was always a website one could go to, to find out the base number of what ur stat cap should be. However, here in SWTOR with no combat logs or test dummies to draw info from; finding out stat caps can prove to be difficult.

I am wondering if you have figured out what the caps are for secondary stats. Currently I am SS, and just sticking with the gear/mods BW has provided me.

I am but one of very few Gunslingers on my server and I get asked alot of questions. When it comes to stat caps questions, I would like to give more than just "My best guess" answer.

Edited by TyraelJedi

tell me then :

- why are only the gs players that are QQ? why don't we see bh/sorc/mara QQing?

- We are meant to be a pure dps class, ok? Why are we unable to reach the 400k dmg per bg that the bh/mara/sorc are reaching easily? I mostly do pvp and i NEVER saw any gs reaching 300k dmg in any bg, but LOTS of bh/sorc/mara...

- why are we the only class that cannot tank or heal and have no godmode button?

- why is this class so few played? I mean, seriously?

so maybe yeah some gs wreck faces, but only the ones that are very very good at playing them and extremely well stuffed, don't you think that it is quite unfair regarding how easy and fun are the other classes?

problem : i don't have motivation / patience to reroll.

Edited by Skyrill

tell me then :

- We are meant to be a pure dps class, ok? Why are we unable to reach the 400k dmg per bg that the bh/mara/sorc are reaching easily? I mostly do pvp and i NEVER saw any gs reaching 300k dmg in any bg, but LOTS of bh/sorc/mara...

- why are we the only class that cannot tank or heal and have no godmode button?

so maybe yeah some gs wreck faces, but only the ones that are very very good at playing them and extremely well stuffed, don't you think that it is quite unfair regarding how easy and fun are the other classes?

Are you kidding me..... stop posting same post in different threads -.- you already received an answer..

- We are meant to be a pure dps class, ok? Why are we unable to reach the 400k dmg per bg that the bh/mara/sorc are reaching easily? I mostly do pvp and i NEVER saw any gs reaching 300k dmg in any bg, but LOTS of bh/sorc/mara..

stopped reading properly there, you play with terrible players, i've reached 500k, 400k many many times, and 300k nearly every single warzone, since level 20 on my gunslinger, without a premade as often as not.....with a premade in 50's, the damage will only go up.

People just play them badly

Hyperbole in either direction doesn't help.

True of course, sorry for that. But at some point this must be stopped.

This Forum is full of information.. some more viable than other but at least there is enough stuff to actually master this class.

If then you still feel like Gunslinger sucks seriously it's not the class but just the disability to put it into practice...

I wreck face in PVP

You know man it's just really tough for people who haven't seen the other side of the coin, a lot of the time people roll gunslingers and they join their first warzone, they see all these jedi flying around and pushing people around, they're constantly getting *** pwnt by them...on top of that some classes seem to get all their "cool" moves sooner than others so its frustrating...

It wasn't till I rolled a jedi class that I noticed gunslingers are pretty bad ***, they just dont suit everyones playstyle, its not that they're bad, its just a unique class that not everyone can vibe with

If you look at past games like WoW and SWG it almost seemed like range classes were always the "ez mode" class, while melee classes had to work twice as hard, now it appears the roles have been switched, and I think bw did a fine job

Edited by Upurss

stopped reading properly there, you play with terrible players, i've reached 500k, 400k many many times, and 300k nearly every single warzone, since level 20 on my gunslinger, without a premade as often as not.....with a premade in 50's, the damage will only go up.

While I agree with what you're sayin here, you're wrong about 50s bracket. Your numbers will go down a little bit when you start facing opponents with optimized stats and gear. You'll still be able to deal 250-300k+, but it won't be as easy (unless you're just spamming AOEs like an ******).

Anyway, I think the OP is doing a good thing here. Cleans up the forums a little bit and offers people a chance to ask questions without getting trolled and/or called noobs. Cheers.

Edited by dougan

- We are meant to be a pure dps class, ok? Why are we unable to reach the 400k dmg per bg that the bh/mara/sorc are reaching easily? I mostly do pvp and i NEVER saw any gs reaching 300k dmg in any bg, but LOTS of bh/sorc/mara..

I must play badly, i'm mid 20s and i've never broken 300k. I have artifact quality guns (although only lvl 21, i will buy some upgrades soon) so i must be doing something wrong. Advice please.

I have to agree with the thread starter here. I was playing Marksman/Sharpshooter for a long time, also tried Dirty Fighting/Lethality and must say if you know how to use your class you can top the meters in warzones.

Lethality is more mobile and less dependant on your team as your dots will keep ticking while you are dead, Marksman does a bit worse with not as good teams on your side as you can get focused and die often, even though you have many tools to survive and excellent CC.

Lethality over all has more potential, if you manage to hit the ae dot on 3 persons many times your damage will be higher than on marksman, getting weaker versions of the dots when they are cleansed will improve that after 1.2 even.

After reading the Saboteur spec changes though, this might be a good spec for especially voidstar. Getting massive ae, slow, and even more cc seems strong.

tell me then :

Skyrill, While most people would simply brand this with a L2P, This isn't the kind of thread I want to run here- so let me try to be constructive for you.

It seems that although you know the class takes a certain skill level to play properly, you idolize the other classes for their tried-and-true potential. If that is the case- then by all means play another class as they are all equally equitable. However if you have a specific request or problem you need to surpass, I encourage you to ask me so I can help you take advantage of the MOST this class has to offer.

I will not argue that Gunslinger has faced adversity since launch, and has needed attention since beta, however this works to a huge advantage as most people don't understand. So few people prefer the playstyle that they lack the skill or experience to counter us properly. Our advantages are clear and simple:

1. Range

2. Highest backloaded Burst dps.

3. All-Range CC's (melee, ranged, AOE)

Edited by moltig

To Skyrill,

I actually hit 300k dmg last night on a voidstar match as a 25, 16, 0 GS. The only time I've been able to do that and that was with some well timed CC.

Valor rank 68. Half BM and Half Champ. No set modifications to stat streamline. About 9400 on max dmg.

I typically use endurance buffs to give me added HP which will take away from dps totals somewhat.

Never approached 400k dmg.

Though I never play purely to try and do maximum dps in a warzone as much as win the match.

I don't have a "problem" with the dps output.

Cover is a liability. Its not a benefit to the class overall, which I think is the problem with the classes playability and survivability in terms of a playerbase and in actual pvp.

The secound issue is a lack of kiting in the max ranged dps class. Our range along with the cover mechanic is not sufficient to kite. Now the maps are already very small in warzones, but the range is lacking.

The third issue is secondary roles which you mentioned. For sacrificing abilities for more DPS we don't get that dps output.

Finally, we are not jedi. So we lack the coolness factor and killing power. This makes us inferior. Add in we have no great benefit to pvp and you have the worst class in the game.

It's not to say we don't have ways to be played and have fun in warzones. Its just in need of improvements.

To the Op and his supporters,

Threads like these do every gunslinger a disservice by pretending the class issues that exist don't need developer re-dress.

So faceroll or whatever you call it you do. Just don't pretend that people posting similar issues aren't posting valid concerns.

I understand the rage I quit rawr!!! threads are annoying, but most of them seem to share similar gaming experiences.

Gunslingers don't feel right to play.

Edited by PlagaNerezza

Plaganerreza

If you honestly think developers scour the English Forums for QQ posts in order to make an assessment on how to make class changes you are sadly mistaken.

You can keep your misinformed opinions to yourself- however a bit of education for you- the In-Game metrics, as well as cooperative QA are how the devs get their information- If they listened to QQ posts like you will inevitably propagate, This game would be much worse off.

The Forums are a community tool, not a soap box clearing a few more inches to the Developers in the sky. I am utilizing it as a community tool.

TLDR you're a joke, and no amount of Crying to the Devs will make you any better.

Edited by moltig