Will swtor ever go free to play?

tehrealdealz

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that SWTOR will become f2p anytime soon. I would like if they just drop the subscription fee, so that more of my friends would play it (players are also content). I have no problems with a reasonable MT-system (emphasis on reasonable, which means for me no pay to win). I think GW2 is going into the right direction how it should be for every MMO.

I think wow will be free to play in the next couple of years, TOR will will be free to play as it ages like most games do these days, I think the days of standard 14.99 a month sub based games might be coming to a slow end, maybe even the mmo genre as we know it..:)

OP

IF you ask the haters they will say yes and soon

If you ask the fanboi's they will say no, the subscriptions are growing

Truth of matter is, if this wasnt Star Wars you would probably see some limited free to play option by month 12 ala Rift just did.

Being Star Wars and having Lucas involved in that decision in some matter your probably going to have to wait for at least year 2 (month 24) before you see limited F2P options.

The servers are drying up badly (yesterday at 8 pm there was 6 people on Alderaan and 13 on Republic fleet on my server and thats pretty much normal fare now. Which is still higher then the 2 RP servers I was on before that) so that will pressure EA but I really wouldnt expect it till year 2 to be honest.

Think of SWG, before the NGE ever hit there was less then 20 people on many normally high pop planets during prime time. When the Village patch hit, on most servers there wasnt enough players online for people to finish many of the village quests (though like here, the fanbois claimed its was growing and popular) but SOE was not allowed to pull the plug. I think EA will be under same rule of thumb about appearence of failure.

So short answer is eventually yes it will go f2p, but I wouldnt hold my breath on it happening soon.

the US servers are empty.

No they are not. Please stop with the extreme exaggerations.

Right this moment there are 6 Heavy or higher servers, and almost 100 Standard servers.

There are ~30 Light servers and only a fraction of those are "empty"

Edited by Andryah

if this game goes f2p, I will never set my foot into it again..

horrid..f2p is horrible!

I think someone mentioned that because this is a Star Wars based game, it cannot go F2P. I'm not sure if that's actually true, but it might be considering the licensing fees that have to be paid to LA.

The game is a little generic compared to what is out there nowadays. Now, compared to the hype coming from before launch, yeah, well... looking at it that way would not be realistic.

So yes, it is a bit light, it is new. The basis are solid, so is the engine. Now they really can build something great onto that or fail miserably. My bet is that they have a long list of features that are ready or close to be that they decided to implement slowly for 1 : make sure not to get buried under bugs and 2 : make it look better on the update and dynamism front.

I'm sticking around a bit, see how they pull it off :)

Sure hope not since it cost a lot more to play a F2P MMO. F2P honestly is not correct term P2W is. (Pay 2 Win)

Also people that do P2P MMOs like them for a reason. You know at the end of the month a flat fee you will be billed. F2P on the other hand can range from 0 to 100s per month.

Edited by Romiz

Generally people who don't like the direction of the game tend to say it's losing subscriptions or going f2p in a few months. However, those are only opinions with no evidence that the game is failing. According to BW the game's subscriptions numbers are going up from 1.7 mil.

People who don't like the game or want it to fail are people who expectation of the game were different like the people who wanted a sand box game, more pvp oriented game, or want a pve hardcore difficulty, time consuming gear professions for pvp or pve, and the list goes on.

I suspect those people are angry that an mmorpg with the star war ip and having spent hundreds of millions is not satisfying their mmorpg style of game. It's probably hurts their ego knowing that a major company is not focusing on their type of mmorpg. It's like getting pass up during promotions. Thus, the need to want said mmorpg to fail cause if it succeeds it will mark a turning point in the design of new mmorpg away from the types of mmorpg he/she likes.

That is why a lot of people who don't like swtor want it to fail. If swtor succeeds as mmorpg and generates a lot of money for BW and EA, then swtor will promote future mmorpgs to design games with a more casual design in mind and away from the hardcore mentality, sand box design, and list goes on. The actual dislike for this game is not swtor it self, but what it represents for many mmorpg players if it succeeds for the future mmorpgs design. A major shift in game design and center more on casual play with less emphasis on hardcore raiding/pvping or sandbox mmorpg.

I hope not because F2P isn't free. Unless a player wants bare bones content with no advanced leveling, no epic quest chains, no dungeon/instance privileges, no cosmetics, one bag, minimal bank space and no end game access ... microtransactions will easily add up to cost more than a monthly sub does. Any developer who says they don't need revenues after intial box sales to realize profit and maintain growth is selling more than just their game. Edited by GalacticKegger

I hope not because F2P isn't free. Unless a player wants bare bones content with no advanced leveling, no epic quest chains, no dungeon/instance privileges, no cosmetics, one bag, minimal bank space and no end game access ... microtransactions will easily add up to cost more than a monthly sub does. Any developer who says they don't need revenues after intial box sales to realize profit and maintain growth is selling more than just their game.

Your second sentence pretty much sums up this game at the moment anyway.

The thing that gets me is people asking for statistics for there assumptions about low populations. If a glass looks half full of water I can clearly state that the glass is only half full with out any measurements. For people to keep saying the glass is still full of even filling up is more far from the truth.

SWTOR won't have over a million subscribers by the end of the years and Bioware are treading water.

World of Tanks is a FREE TO PLAY game.

You're really not helping yourself here.

You have to pay to be able to do well in world of tanks, you basically have to subscribe once a month.

No, I do not believe so. I think the soon-to-be-published subscription numbers will clearly explain why.

I do not expect more than 1,2 million active subscribers right now, 90% of the servers worldwide is between "Low" and "Standard" since end of Feb.

A German CM stated, that "SW:TOR will never be free to play". Yeah, okay. Look at Warhammer Online...

months ago ? its only been out months. And if you need to attain a rank and purple gear to enjoy pvp then your missing the point, ow and qudos for playing a game in the 80's that didnt come out until 93 and just cos its on rails and plays like dont make it any less addictive and fun.

And if your server is so quiet move to a busier one until the allow migrations and them move your old char to where your new chars are. enjoy a different story.

QFT, all these people that whine about gear rewards are playing PvP for the wrong reason. I remember playing games for days and weeks with absolutely no reward other than the enjoyment of playing, hell you couldn't even save your progress, if you died or had to go do something else you started from the beginning. If your not enjoying the journey to the reward find something else to play, because at the end of the day that reward is not going to fill the hole if you don't enjoy the game.

I remember playing games for days and weeks with absolutely no reward other than the enjoyment of playing, hell you couldn't even save your progress, if you died or had to go do something else you started from the beginning. If your not enjoying the journey to the reward find something else to play, because at the end of the day that reward is not going to fill the hole if you don't enjoy the game.

The good ole days :rolleyes:

Eugene's Lair in manic miner offered more of a challenge than the OP's in SWTOR

the only ones who are delusional are the ones that think this is gonna crash and burn, this game has as much chance over its lifetime of going f2p as wow did and does. And dont anyone spout this will never get anywhere near as wow did cos unless your clairvoyant you dont have a chance of knowing.

Star wars is the strongest IP in the world and more money then some small countrys to throw at it.

SWG. The game thats still going strong.....err wait

I do not expect more than 1,2 million active subscribers right now, 90% of the servers worldwide is between "Low" and "Standard" since end of Feb.

A German CM stated, that "SW:TOR will never be free to play". Yeah, okay. Look at Warhammer Online...

But warhammer was fail right from the start. They lost almost all their players after the first month.

You have to pay to be able to do well in world of tanks, you basically have to subscribe once a month.

LOL...no.

I used to play World of Tanks quite a bit (<3 my JagdPanther) and paid a grand total of three times over the course of two years. That's less than the box price of SWTOR.

For most players, P4P takes away some of the grind, nothing else.

SWG. The game thats still going strong.....err wait

Ow you mean that swg that was so messed over by smedly, had so outdated graphics and bugs in it still from launch. the game that smedly ripped its guts out for a quick buck.

Isnt that the same game that has one of the best mmo emulators around for a previous incarnation of it, is that the one where the playerbase tried to goto court to stop it shutting down. And were still paying subs on till the end. Is that the swg your talking about.

The one that was so flawed yet so loved, ye now imagine that on an sw ip game that isnt going against the grain.

Edited by Shingara

I know alot of newly released mmos that were supposed to be giant and went F2P after a while. Do you guys think swtor will go that route and when?

I'm not sure how they do it. Like maintain the game, develop it further and expanding it, keeping live customer support, paying to actually run the servers etc. And definitely not without a decline. I've never played a lot of Guild Wars (I've tried, just couldn't get into it) but my brother does, and he basically said it's fine and isn't a problem. Apparently one-off sales and I think some sponsorship funds it all.

EQ was free to play in that they had no subs, but a LOT in the game wasn't free and you had to buy a fair bit as you played (see video in signature). Then again, when you think about the stink that created when people added up what they were paying to play the game that would be an absolutely horrible idea. And not only that, but a lot of people felt mislead. And it actually came under Government scrutiny over fair trade/consumer issues etc. I very much think it's not something to hope happens for SWTOR. Ever.

So... No.

Edited by Darnu

They may *eventually* go to a hybrid model, but I would not expect that to happen for at least 4 years or so. A hybrid model can be a nice boost to a game, but it requires some form of content "gating". If it is done well then it extends the life of the game, done poorly and it will most likely hasten the demise of the game.

CoH is doing pretty well with it's hybrid model, but it also has a very loyal fanbase that was never huge to begin with. (Don't get me wrong, plenty of people play CoH, but it never had the subscription numbers of some games.. and it is still getting better, not many 8 year old MMOs can say that)

DDO (Dungeons and Dragons Online) recieved a huge increase in revenue and player base when it went F2P, and it truly is F2P, you can unlock anything in that game with enough play time, but having a subscription unlocks everything for the montly fee. And since they went F2P the game has gotten much better as well.