Will swtor ever go free to play?

tehrealdealz

this is going to sound strange but i don't want it to be.

With my 15 bucks a month you will probably get better service and more content.

they wants to keep subscribers and build them, thus increasing revenue.

So I'm paying for quality, which i don't mind...

15 bucks a month is nothing.

If it was free, it would greatly discourage me.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually. It is. When someone tells you "Go back to WoW" basically that person is saying your a players thats used to being spoon fed everything. Epics, Titles, Mounts, Pets, etc etc without having to do any really anything.

compared to how it was? you're right. spoon fed. Compared to SWTOR? Have I missed something?

nvm too far off-topic

Edited by Darnu

This is pretty simple really. As long as enough people are willing to pay in order for the company to make a profit, the game won't be free to play. Considering that SWTOR is currently the fastest growing MMO in history with around 2 million suscribers 3 months after launch I wouldn't hold my breath. Edited by Pathlight-

that is a bit over dramatic if you ask me...

I think SW should go F2P so i can come back after 3 to 4 months and see if it's been improved without wasting money on a month sub.

Trust me it is the people like you that we don't want here. TRUST me on that.

Are there actual numbers on that? I'd love to see 'em if so.

Think he's rounding up the announced 1.7 million subscribers announced at the end of Feb/start of March. Mind you that was just before the Australian/Asian servers launched so the actual number may be close to 2 million, most likely closer than the announced 1.7 million was.

Edited by Runeshard

What do you think? What normally makes a mmo go F2P? Lack of interest? Lack of subs? People think just because every server isn't full on a Tuesday afternoon @1430 the game is losing subs. I love this game, but because of this little thing called "work" I cant play nor have I had more than an hour each night over the past 2 weeks to play. Does my absence mean that I dislike the game or I am unsubbing? Nope, it only means that I can not play because of my real life. Wait until may-june when the kids get out of school and college is out and you will see the populations go up again. Just like every year on almost every MMO (to include SWG).

Indeed, Although SWG had a more constant server population on Bria server and TC, all year around.

To the F2P thing, No, LA is pulling the strings, and even when SWG was going down, LA didnt make SWG Free to Play. As long as theres subs and money, George Lucas wont shut down a game, unless he can make something better to pull in more money :p.

Are people still this delusional?

They released 1.7 million subs just a few weeks ago, 2-3 weeks or so.

"Zomg fleet doesn't have more than 50 players on, the game is dying!!"

I'm sure you are one of those that keeps saying WoW is dying, or dead aswell, right ?

Just like most mmorpg today, they are all dead, apperently.

"Wait until the free month, swtor will be dead"

"Wait until the second month, swtor will be dead"

"Wait until the third month, swtor will be dead"

I don't even care about numbers, aslong they get enough cash to give us content.

And aslong my server is healthy (If not i would reroll)

But weak, and insecure people do care about numbers. They follow whatever people do, they don't have any will of their own.

It's pre-teen behaviour, it's time to grow up and follow your own path.

I know alot of newly released mmos that were supposed to be giant and went F2P after a while. Do you guys think swtor will go that route and when?

Why even post this question? I do not see it's relevance.

Are people still this delusional?

Are you? Still hoping the game ends next month?

You sky is falling crowd have been saying the game'll drop below 100k for months now- and it's still 1.7 mill at the lowest numbers.

Doesn't sound bad at all really.

Are there actual numbers on that? I'd love to see 'em if so.

EA announced during their earnings call of late February that they had 1.7 million subscribers. This was before the AIPAC launch so the current number is very likely to be around 2 mil.

Think he's rounding up the announced 1.7 million subscribers announced at the end of Feb/start of March. Mind you that was just before the Australian/Asian servers launched so the actual number may be close to 2 million, most likely closer than the announced 1.7 million was.

Yeah that's what I thought. I've not seen a real number released since then. I'm not sure I'd expect such a bump from Oz etc and there will have been at least some drop from non renewals. An updated number would be good to see. I personally expect it to be lower.

Yeah that's what I thought. I've not seen a real number released since then. I'm not sure I'd expect such a bump from Oz etc and there will have been at least some drop from non renewals. An updated number would be good to see. I personally expect it to be lower.

We'll see. I'd like to see some new numbers as well, though I expect we'll be waiting a while still, Q4 may be the next time we'll see some figures released.

Next official number will most likely come when next quarterly profits are published. So May or June?

It is not. At all. Picard facepalm'd because of that game.

STO is the Wesley Crusher of the entire Star Trek extended universe.

Okay fine.

STO is a pimple and SWTOR is a boil.

One is bigger but both are just putrid bags of pus.

STO still has much better ship combat and tighter ground control.

And not everyone looks the same with the same companion.

I guess my line of thinking at this point is I'd rather have a pimple.

Edited by Lostkoss

Okay fine.

STO is a pimple and SWTOR is a boil.

One is bigger but both are just putrid bags of pus.

STO still has much better ship combat and tighter ground control.

And not everyone looks the same with the same companion.

I guess my line of thinking at this point is I'd rather have a pimple.

SWTOR is passable. It's a solid B plus game. While it could be better, it's overall satisfactory.

STO, however, is a complete and utter train wreck. I still have no idea how it managed to get there. Solid story and an epic universe. Great idea for an MMO, right? Yet when it dropped, it was so AWFUL. It's like Batman games pre-Arkham.