In every MMO I pick the wrong class

VinUnleaded

What makes it the wrong class?

If you make the decision based on what you think will be the most powerful, you will fail every time. You have to leave that sort of thing to those that see a FOTM and can level one in a short time, otherwise, you should play what you feel is fun and eventually your time will come.

Kinda did the same thing myself. Rolled a Juggernaut to tank with and hated it. Leveled a Darkness Assassin next and loved Tanking again. Juggernaut switched to Vengeance and loved my Juggernaut again.

Then I rolled an Agent and fell in love with Operative Healing.

Three 50s now, and a level 32 Merc. Merc is my ranged dps character, but I'm having the hardest time connecting with it. I think I prefer the melee dps of Vengeance.

What makes it the wrong class?

If you make the decision based on what you think will be the most powerful, you will fail every time. You have to leave that sort of thing to those that see a FOTM and can level one in a short time, otherwise, you should play what you feel is fun and eventually your time will come.

Wise and very true words. Play what you like and don't be afraid to roll something new or reroll if you find you really don't like it or do well in it. Your class will eventually be the FOTM after getting a round of buffs and then will inevitably receive a round of nerfs and fall out of favor.

Wise and very true words. Play what you like and don't be afraid to roll something new or reroll if you find you really don't like it or do well in it. Your class will eventually be the FOTM after getting a round of buffs and then will inevitably receive a round of nerfs and fall out of favor.

Exactly, plus Feral Druids in WoW was the worst class at Vanilla release. What a jug is today is not what a jug will be tomorrow.

im so happy with my classes. i knew exactly what i wanted long before the game came out.

perfectly content with my operative, merc, and marauder and every aspect about them.

Wondering whether or not i made the right choice with my smuggler. i like scoundrel but sometimes i think i should have gone gunslinger.

had trouble deciding for the trooper, but when i roll one i think ill go vanguard since i went merc with my bh.

In WoW, I selected Death Knight when I should have played Feral Druid.

RIFT I played a Mage when I should have played a healer.

SWTOR I played a Juggarnaut, when I should have played a ranged class...ANY ranged class.

Based off of what you have played in previous games, it sounds like you prefer playing a ranged class as DPS and have the option to heal. Your only real option or choice would be to go with a Commando/Mercenary or Sage/Sorcerer.

It can be tough choosing the right class, but you will never know for sure till you try one out and see if it fits for play style. Wish you luck in finding the right one.

Edited by Dalmorn

Actually, I think he was more subtly bashing the game for not choosing the more sought after classes. When I played WoW, Feral Druids were highly sought after. Rift was extremely short on Healers as well. The fact that he listed that he played a mage but should have played a healer is paradoxical since you can have up to 5 specs on your character to switch between, and Mages are (or were when I played) capable healers through the Chloromancy spec. Mages in general were just terrible though, especially after they gutted Stormcallers.

In TOR, you are highly punished as a melee, and the only melee that are in demand for raiding other than tanks are Marauders/Sentinels for their group buffs. Consider there are only 3 Ranged classes out of 8, and all of them are more sought after than any melee dps. The mechanics of the game aren't melee friendly, but are extremely friendly to ranged.

Edited by Toogeloo

Kinda did the same thing myself. Rolled a Juggernaut to tank with and hated it. Leveled a Darkness Assassin next and loved Tanking again. Juggernaut switched to Vengeance and loved my Juggernaut again.

Then I rolled an Agent and fell in love with Operative Healing.

Three 50s now, and a level 32 Merc. Merc is my ranged dps character, but I'm having the hardest time connecting with it. I think I prefer the melee dps of Vengeance.

I did this too. Started with a shadow consular, went jugg, stayed with jugg. played with BH for a bit, got a PT to 31, started a merc, preferred the merc.

Each game will have classes that feel and play different. going off an idea in your head is the best place to start, but i think it's important to not "kick" yourself if it's not what you like. As someone stated above....this isn't a race, your not going to be behind if you get to 20 or 30 and decide it's not your favorite class. Roll something else.

And I agree with the other posters about FOTM. Don't play something because peeps say it's going to be OP...play what you want. the Knight/Jugg is a great class, but they have a higher learning curve. But they do Excellent DPS and are great tanks (just not as easy as the others). the stories behind each class are different enough that they all can be fun to play on that alone.

It's all about having fun!

SWTOR I played a Juggarnaut, when I should have played a ranged class...ANY ranged class.

DPS, and PvP Im assuming? Mines only level 41, but so far I absolutely wreck people in WZs as Immortal XD.

Well by "wreck" I mean "be a team player and try to help win the game instead of topping scores like a noob", YMMV. Though on a side note, I usually get the most medals and have one of the top DPS scores. Its insane if I get into a game with a healer on our team(almost never) and then its almost a sure win.

But hey, being a team player isnt for everyone right?

i know what some ppl will say. but i have a hard tme with the leveling thing.

i can level one character but to do it over just bugs the hell out of me.

This game is the first game I don't mind so much. I just listen to the things I haven't seen before and space-bar through what I have, do dailies which allows me to skip some space-bar quests and sub-50 PvP is pretty enjoyable thanks to how bolster works. It makes it even more palatable if you are playing a class you really want to play as well.

I found after getting my sage to 50, that I just didn't like her, not the class.....I had played her too goody-two-shoes. Granted, want to go back and get rid of her dark points to get light 5 on her, just to have it (she's so darn close), but I wish I had made more dark decisions....she's too much of a good girl....my knight isn't as goody two shoes.

DK = initially incredibly OP at start and for about a 6months until a series of nerfs brought them inline, even then they are one of the most common Arena classes (most 5man team have a DK) and make good dps and excellent tanks

Mages in Rift have at various points been intensly powerful, pyro build mages have some of the highest dmg numbers in the game and chloromancers are very desirable raid healers.

Juggernaught is an awesome raid tank and in PvP make excellent flag carriers with high mobility and decent CC/snare abilities. Admittedly they are late bloomers and honestly dont come into their own until late 30s

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.