Feedback request from James Ohlen: PvP

StephenReid

Rework the whole system with resolve, stuns, incapacitates, knockbacks as it clearly isn't working well.

Examples:

Being held down for 8 seconds or more by force leaps.

Being affected by a flashbang to have your resolve bar going down just as you exit the stun, making you vulnerable to another stun right away.

Edit: I'll sneak in a desire for additional huttball maps here as well, rotational on a weekly basis or similar to spice things up.

Edited by Bozse

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a GALAXY WIDE war in which PVP controls the state on each server.

On PVP servers, it should BLOCK progress on class quests.

for some players pvp is the reason they play im sure, However PVE is the point of the game and having pvp ruin someones ability to go through their story line would be rediculas to say the least. If that were ever implemented on my PVE server i would just quit playing and cancel my subscription.

that being said having a few or more dedicated PVP driven servers isnt a half bad idea but doing it across all servers would ruin this great game

You could start by reading all the pvp forum threads. That will give you a good idea of what is wrong here and then you could advise your team to communicate with the community.

Obviously, BW is feeling the pain of ignoring us which has forced this move. Too little too late for me.

Cancellations must be pretty high.

I would also read the PTS section where most people are not very happy with the pvp changes in 1.2 at all.

When you make pvp changes to classes a detailed explanation of why would be nice to see as we might be missing something from our perspective and then an explanation of why your change will fix the issue.

PVPers should have the same opportunity to make the same amount of coin and rewards as a pve player playing the same amount of game time.

Open world pvp and meangful rvr is needed.

Also the hacking and exploitation in the game needs to be addressed by BW on what is being done and how people might go about identifying it in game.

Too much CC, stuns, roots, knocks, etc. Didn't you learn this lesson in War? Resolve should be included in all types of crowd control.

Edited by Talizzar

Make world pvp attractive to bring us back to the nice planets and give buffs to the dominated faction . And try to create by yourselves , don't copy WoW and remove expertise . Edited by Tsubibi

Remove Republic vs Republic gameplay (unsure if Imperial vs Imperial exists at all). I have had to fight alongside many of these players on Ilum (open world pvp ftw, btw) and then when a Warzone popped, had to immediately play AGAINST the same people who I was defending and who was defending me. It absolutely sucks for morale it sucks even more when you are cast into a warzone against people from your own GUILD!! Participants from one faction should ALWAYS be working together and NEVER working against each other. To do so is counter-intuitive.

You could start by reading all the pvp forum threads. That will give you a good idea of what is wrong here and then you could advise your team to communicate with the community.

Obviously, BW is feeling the pain of ignoring us which has forced this move. Too little too late for me.

Cancellations must be pretty high.

I would also read the PTS section where most people are not very happy with the pvp changes in 1.2 at all.

When you make pvp changes to classes a detailed explanation of why would be nice to see as we might be missing something from our perspective and then an explanation of why your change will fix the issue.

PVPers should have the same opportunity to make the same amount of coin and rewards as a pve player playing the same amount of game time.

Open world pvp and meangful rvr is needed.

Also the hacking and exploitation in the game needs to be addressed by BW on what is being done and how people might go about identifying it in game.

Too much CC, stuns, roots, knocks, etc. Didn't you learn this lesson in War? Resolve should be included in all types of crowd control.

i agree completely!!!!!!!!

Take Crash and Force Clap away from our Charge/Leap OR make it deal no resolve, increase our AoE threat. Increase Juggernaut's damage output (Immortal tree) slightly, so that it is on par with Shadows' and Vanguards'. Do the same for it's mirror class, Guardian. Add a little more survivability to Vengeance spec. Add Unstoppable to Immortal in lower tiers. Give juggernauts a speccable Force Pull.

Signed: Sith Juggernaut

Edited by RJMazz

If I could change one thing, it is the pointlessness of playing the game the best you can. As of right now there is no reason to even do anything after you get 4 medals. winning is marginally important, but in all reality just doing objectives gets boring quickly. There's no reason to do your best when you get the same reward as everyone else who doesn't care.

As others have said, cross realm ques are needed, I don't like sitting in ques for long periods of time, to then only end up playing the same people, and often on teams that aren't full strength, cross realm is already being done for 50, please implement it for all levels, that would make it possible to pvp at any time you like, not just the peek time for your server.

More content

When you are actually fighting, pvp in swtor is fun. But doing the same 3 warzones over and over gets boring after a while. Ranked warzones are nice, but we need many more warzones and different gameplay types if that will be the focus of pvp in swtor.

Ideally, what I really want is fun open-world pvp. I want objectives to capture and keeps to take over (yes, I loved warhammer). It would be great if you came up with something more innovative, but if not then I would be happy with at least that.

But really it comes down to if its possible to make open world pvp as we envision it work. After fighting in Ilum, I'm not sure if your engine can handle it. Your team should know better than anyone, and must be very honest in determining if it will be possible or not.

If its not possible to have big open world battles due to lag and etc., then as I said above, we need a heckuva lot more different warzones and gameplay types.

There is too much cc in the game.

Resolve immunity should be increased by a huge amount and a grace period added so after you die from being stun-locked you don't lose your immunity just traveling back to the fight.

or

CC breaker should be put on a default 1min cd with talents to decrease its cd to 30s, this should be an option for all classes.

or

Snare and root all other cc effects should be incorporated into resolve, not just stuns.

Fix the bugs. Alderaan speeders still lock up or never spawn even after submitting bug reports since the game launched.

Various issues with cheating, capping while invisible, skipping through doors or over pits etc. The base gameplay is fun and enjoyable when it actually works.

People's statements about how things work are all over the place and everyone in my guild has no idea about things like whether force attacks by-pass defense. My #1 wish would be for you to explain in precise mathematical detail how every single PvP system works. I know that the upcoming combat log will make it a bit easier for people to make guesses about what your game is doing, but seeing as how much wrong information is out there, I just don't trust random strangers to get mathematical formulas like that right. Do you really want everyone who PvP's to have to use the scientific method to figure out how your game works? Is that part of the gameplay? My #1 wish would be for you to remove the mystery and just tell us how it works.

If I could change 1 thing about PvP:

I would nerf guard. It's ridiculously strong. I don't want it to be useless, but right now it's nigh impossible to kill people with guard on. Adding an extra healer (potentially also with guard from another tank) just makes it worse. It's a mechanic where the health transfer is solely used in pvp so it wouldn't impact pve at all. I'd reduce the health damage transfer to 25% and eliminate the base 5% damage reduction. I would, however, increase the range to ~50yards to make it useable in larger area combats.

I'd address the stun locks, rooting and resolve bar.

So how would I do it?

First I would adjust the resolve bar to include rooting. Then I'd balance the amount of resolve gained by the number of seconds the person is stunned or rooted for. So if the stun is 4 seconds long, they would get 4 bubbles to their resolve bar. I'd also make it so the resolve bar doesn't start ticking down until the stun is done ticking down.

Second I would change the length of stuns. The longest stuns would be talented at 4 seconds while regular stuns set to 2 or 3. These stuns wouldn't be effected by damage being done. Right now its nuts that some classes can stun you for 8 or 9 seconds while everyone is pounding on you and if your unleash etc... is on cooldown you're screwed.

Lastly I would make any CC that does work in PvP count towards a full resolve bar and once dmg is dealt the CC is removed.

This is just my feedback on PvP and what I'd like to see addressed, with one of many possible ways of handling it.

Hard to really nail down just ONE suggestion for pvp changes. Most of which have already been mentioned in this thread.

What I would like to see eventually, is a visual difference either when the queue "pops", or while loading, to show whether or not you'll be entering a Republic vs Empire match, or Republic vs Republic.

This difference, could be as simple as calling a Republic vs Republic (Empire vs Empire) match, a Skirmish. While keeping the current naming (Warzones) for matches that have both factions.

In closing, i'll simply add my support to the idea of a possible removal of all things called 'Expertise', and a re-tuning of how the 'Resolve' system works. Being stunned for 5 sec+ is not fun. 3 sec is more than enough, and should give a long duration (15-30 sec) immunity to ALL crowd controls. Maybe then, players would stop chain "cc-ing" the same player, and actually cc multiple players.

Make true roaming open world pvp.

If you look at warhammer, they have a good idea, the problem was it was poorly executed. You shouldn't promote zerg play, you should promote organized group play.

If you add objectives and bases that can be captured which take control of zones to give bonuses or access to specific content you need to make the zerg spread out.

If you have 2 bases in a area, and 5 smaller objectives in the zone as well. In order to capture the base you should have to own 3 of the 5 objectives. You must maintain control of these 3 objectives at all times to make the base remain vulnerable. This would cause operation groups to have to spread out and break down there group in order to hold separate objectives while raiding the base.

In cases of population imbalances on servers. You can add a AI assist mechcanism where the Empire or Republic drops off vehicles to the side with the lower population after an alloted time has past. The pop imbalance fix has to be looked at closely and should only take affect in a 1.7+ : 1 ratio, too small and one side gets too beefy, too large and you still can't overcome the odds.

Edited by Kilour

I would make all player attacks Shieldable, including Force and Tech attacks. It feels weird that tanks who gear for defensive stats can just be shredded through by non-weapon attacks as if they had geared for pure offense. I'm fine with Defense only applying to physical attacks, because I think it would mess up game balance to be able to dodge, say, Force Stun or Debilitate. When you see guides for Shadows say "Don't bother using Kinetic Ward in PvP, it is a waste of Force better spent on a damage ability." I think there is something wrong with how tank stats function in PvP.

My change would be lowering the global cooldown to 1 second, but this would require redesign all skills and resources of the game so it's not going to happen. (Set the global cooldown to 1.5 seconds is the worst thing that developers could do)

So my request is longer CD on all Stuns/CCs/Pushs/