Lets be honest here gabe/bioware

hargrave

i agree about gear 1-49 pvp is more fun then 50 expertise is a bunch of bs. All they have to do is make expertise into more morale/health. Expertise does more bad then good which is why i havent bothered trying to get bm gear. The idea of having bm gear and owning people who dont have it and have no chance against me is not what im looking for.

i just hope they get thier bleep together before gw2. 3 months in open world pvp is meh all incentive is to wz's were not off to a good start here.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made a long suggestion post. Found in my signature. But my subscription expires on the 19th and will no longer be around to participate in it. Good luck to you all! Maybe I'll return some day when they fire half of the people making bad decisions that are killing this game from the community dis-service reps and forum un-moderators to the entire staff devoted to creating new content that has a max shelf life of 30-60 days before needing to be replaced.

The world of Anarchy-Online never needed to be replaced after 11 years.. Graphically it could use it but their open world pvp system will still be rockin.. if only they had this games class balance.. lol

that the rep side story lines are boring and zzz.

Goody goody hero storylines are almost ALWAYS boring and zzz. Villains and evil storylines are infinately better. In all fiction. Best you can get is the "anti-hero", who is still closer to "evil/bad" storyline arcs when you look at it.

Superman: Lame

Punisher: Cool

Luke: Lame

Vader: God of galactic Pimp-dom

Shining silver knights of chaste and virtue: Booooring

The black knight laying waste to everyone that stands in his way: Awesome

Cyclops: Idiot

Wolverine/Deadpool/Magneto: Straight up G's.

I'm here to stay for a while at least. I think alot of the issues are lag and engine related issues that seriously effect PvP. Illum is a great example. There are dozens of die hard players still patroling illum looking for 1v1's and larger scale battles. Alot of them are willing to stick around a few more months with the promises of rating systems and revamps. However an even larger number quit completely when they realized their mid level gaming machine lags so badly they cannot compete in PvP at the level they are accustomed to in other games. Its tough going from being a rated player in another game to meer cannon fodder in SWTOR when other players run circles around you while you take one step at a time at 3 fps. Fix that and maybe throw in a few of Hargraves suggestions like base bosses and we can save this game. Im a SW junkie.. but many of us remember the mass exodus of old SWG... it happened in this game in the first 2 months. Hopefully thats a good thing and we can get back most of those that left within the next few months (as long as promises are kept).

I see a shortage of funds in the future if things are not fixed. We will know its all over when servers begin to consolidate and FTP is announced. I pray it doesnt happen and hope to call this game home for the next decade or so.

Trolls can hack on the weaker gaming machines all they want. Simple fact is that windows requires a rating of 3.0 and recommends 4.0 to play LOTRO. It requires 5.2 and recomends 5.9 to play SWTOR. Immagine how many more people would be able to subscribe to SWTOR if they could bring those requirements down to reality.

I'm a big supporter for this game and I consider myself honest. So with that being said, I think the OP has made an excellent case.

I've suggested before that they should provide more objectives elsewhere on the Ilum. It never occurred to me before to put pvp bases on other planets. That's a brilliant idea!

The incentives for Ilum were always mismanaged. Players saw how they could exploit it because it was just so obvious to not see what they could do.

I want to see these ideas the OP has suggested implemented because I like many others still want to have "open world pvp".

Ilum has been a complete failure so let's get this thing to no longer be a failure. It's time to consider what the forums are suggesting BW. After all, we are the ones who are now invested in the game that you've passed on to us.

Swg factional base pvp on talus, corellia and naboo were the best pvp model ever. Consider that ilum is the equivalent of restuss they are already half way there. Random base spawns with a global system message to players will cure open world malaise.

Most serious pvpers will move to GW2 anyways.

This

Maybe youll get something in SWTOR expansion.

And then, maybe not.

And if it comes out itll probably be ilum 3.0 that is worse than ilum 2.0 that is worse than ilum 1.0

But they would really really love to see it. So would we rofl

Rerolled GW2, this lot dont have a clue what they are doing.

Edited by GrandMike

Well I'm sick of PvP now, can't be bothered to log on to my main and do my 3 dailies.

I signed up for a 6 month sub back in December. So I hope GW2 comes out just as my sub lapses.

I don't think BW can do anything remarkable, in these next few months, to keep me interested in this game. Shame really, it was fun at launch, but now it's just pointless gear grinding.

Cannot wait for GW2, looks like a breath of fresh air.

Edited by JaltuStele

What strikes me with pvp and especially Ilum is just how it isnt Star Wars.

Im wondering if they watched all the movies and thought 'WoW!' - literally! Copying the WoW formula is all well and good but this is and should be Star Wars.

With all classes having 1 - 3 stuns, unbalanced teams on WZs(4 healers and/or grav spammers) huge amounts of stacking DOTs clearly shows that Gabe hasnt a clue..

Ive waited for over 4 years or so on this game. I was really looking fwd to open world pvp. This video here
at 1:37 or so gabe is claiming 100v100 and this huge massive battle in ilum. Since launch Ilum has been an exploiters paradise and trade killing heaven. Its now been abandoned while they "revamp" it.

qoutes from this article http://games.on.net/article/15061/Developer_Interview_Wyld_Talks_to_Gabe_Amatangelo_on_SWTOR_PVP_and_Flashpoints?page=2

Gabe: Yeah, it is but it’s very basic. I guess the important message there is, we’re well aware of it, and there was some expectation management that we could have done better because what I think happened is, a lot of people heard “Mythic” and “open world PvP” and so a lot of assumptions were made there.

Its not assuming when you claim 100vs100 on a live stage at a game convention. Then proceed to go on this grandios presentation of a ilum that never existed.

We tried to get the message out of “IT’S NOT RvR!” and that it was just open world PvP but still, through second hand information, many people expected big scale RvR. Galactic warfare is something we very much want to do, it’s just not what Ilum is. And we’ll be addressing a bunch of issues there alone.

So here we have you saying 100vs100 and massive huge battles "guerilla style warfare" and now your saying you want to try to do this? after you advertised having this already?

Gabe: Some counterbalancing, yeah I can understand that. The tricky thing about open world PvP is, first off, as far as Ilum goes and just open world PvP across SW:TOR in general, we wanted to get areas in there that players could engage in there when they wanted to, but it was never slated to have a full and robust RvR type system or galactic warfare, tug-of-war type of things. I mean, we want to do it, and the PvP team especially wants to do this sort of thing, of course, but it just wasn’t in the cards leading up to launch. So this is stuff in the future, and that we’re already thinking about and working on.

If it wasnt in the game why was 100vs100 advertised about ilum? You never claimed rvr fair enough.

Gabe: The first things we want to address in open world PvP is the fact that it really depends on the time of the day, the circumstances and situation that you engage in open world PvP is whether or not it’s fun and engaging. And ways you can help control that stuff is to have timed objectives and timed events, like “these things” happen at these times of the day, so it helps concentrate populations in those areas. Also, some balancing systems like, okay there’s this much of the server population in one area from one faction, so this much of the other faction can be in. There are also other things you can introduce like turrets or other handicap devices. But the more of that stuff you do, the less open world PvP it is - the more it becomes matched PvP. So it’s a fine line. Some people like one, some people like the other, and we really wanted to have that as an option based on what the players want. Warzones is matched PvP, maybe not on a grand scale, but it’s matched PvP none the less.

Ilum was never open world pvp it was a pvp side area on ilum. Lets get that straight instanced to hell i might add.

I understand ilum and open world pvp is bieng worked on but i have to be honest im getting tired of bieng lied to i had enough of that in lotro.

Warzones are not the solution to open world pvp.

Faction imbalance is due to rep side bieng lousy and poorly done. No alien races i.e wookies/alien races and the rep storyline are what affecting faction imbalance. You can ignore that issue all you like but take a poll prove me wrong about that 90% of people will agree that the rep side story lines are boring and zzz. Creating same faction pvp isnt the solution either.

Heres how to salvage open world pvp (prove me wrong)

Stop throwing pr at the issue (stating you have the best pvp team doesnt help or stating 100vs100 then later saying you want to do that after advertising that you have)

Real objective base pvp I.E base bosses you have to kill and take over the base.

Move all pve off of ilum. Make all of ilum pvp related not just the side area. This can be done by putting those flashpoints on the fleet where the rest of them are anyways. Then you would have real open world pvp not just the side area

Pvp bases on other planets would have been a better solution to faction imbalance. people cant be everywhere at once if theres to many imps on ilum they could to the tattoine pvp base this would thin out the imbalance to some extent (why this isnt done already i dont know)

Stop worrying about ridiculous things like managed fights or even numbers if you have pvp bases on other planets this will solve that issue regardless of what time of day it is. If people want managed fights they can go to warzones.

lets be open to out of the box ideas. Why not be open to rvr? its appealing to a lot of people gw2 seems to be doing well this idea. Worried about server communities? well to late you still dont have server forums 3 months in.We may have 1.7 mill players now but what would be more impressive is 1.7 6 months from now.

So ill prob get a temp ban for this but i dont care i want this game to succeed and im tired of bieng lied to and i dont want to see a multi million star wars game that i do like turn into rift 2 which its looking more and more like so far.....

You're taking this 100v100 thing out of context. What he said was 'if you have 200 on one side and 100 on the other, who is gonna win? the side with 200 of course'.

He never claimed that it was going to be in the game in general. . .or more specifically at launch. It was all just a general example that they know the zerg side wins, and they want to have ways to counteract that.

Dont get me wrong, I miss the Ilum we had(not the very first one where everyone just traded nodes) and wish they would require players to go there to complete that daily(if they wanna just do warzones then let them only be able to complete the warzone daily). . .but taking something this guy said out of context and bashing him on the forums is just wrong.

It's not even like he's in control, he's in charge of the pvp team yes. But he has no control over things like when the game will be released(which was what hurt Ilum the most).

All I ask is the chance

to take a wrong turn

from level 10+ and

find myself in a world

of ganking pain and misery.

I don't *have* to keep taking

that wrong turn,

But knowing THE ENEMY

are OUT THERE

makes a PvP server worth

something.

WARNING! YOU HAVE SELECTED

A PVP SERVER. DO NOT WORRY

THE CHANCES OF ANY PVP

OCCURING OUTSIDE OF A WZ

ARE SLIM TO NONE. HAVE A NICE

DAY NOW!

o_o Sure, some don't like the fear of ganking,

unfair fights, having to avoid areas due to jerks

massing but... ya know, to my mind, that's

part of rolling on PvP server.

Edited by Scudmungus

Did anyone really expect a great PVP experience from a company like Bioware? Linear themepark MMO's almost always have horrible PVP. This crowd goes from MMO to MMO hoping for the next DAOC, and inevitably leave angry and disappointed. Stop expecting DAOC from a self-described WoW clone; it's never going to happen.

cant be taken out of context when hes advertising for a game and its features.Im not bashing him im just sick of his lies and ive more then proven this. I agree with some of your points but if your going to get on stage and promote a game wouldnt be a good idea to know the specifics?

Whats wrong is getting on a live stage in front of 100's and announcing 100vs100 and thats not the only lie the resources is another i could go on. Whats also wrong is how he goes on this huge over the top explanation of a ilum that even you cant deny that simply does not exist LOL

Ive already made the point of it not bieng in the game why advertise that if its not in the game?

Now we have him in this new interview sayin "this is something bioware would like to do" After hes already said we have it?

Thier answer to the zerg is to do warzones since they wont fix the rep side.

Lets look at this as if were at a car show

car salesman: the new ilum sports car can go 5000 miles an hour

car salesman" the new ilum sports car can hold 200 people

car salesman: the new ilum sports car cant lose drag races it goes 5000 miles an hour who will win?

potential car buyer: hmm this car is front wheel drive its a v6 and its a 2 seater? wheres my ilum sports car that was advertised at the car show?

You: oh that was taken out of context he doesnt actually make the car he just b'llsh*ts up thier to sell it

I want this game to succeed but it cant succeed when theres so much pr thrown at it and lies arent helping the issue. Ive given a lot of positive feedback theres even been a kin ship that did a entire ilum revamp with pictures and a website they have since left the game. If its one thing ive learned from lotro its bieng a ahole and proving your point at least gets thier heads turned and even fix thier crap out of embarrasment. Its not the best approach but ive got maybe 2 years maybe less of life to live im sick as hell in a hospital bed i want to do open world pvp and ill prob be in the grave before that happens lol can force ghosts use keyboards?

You're taking this 100v100 thing out of context. What he said was 'if you have 200 on one side and 100 on the other, who is gonna win? the side with 200 of course'.

He never claimed that it was going to be in the game in general. . .or more specifically at launch. It was all just a general example that they know the zerg side wins, and they want to have ways to counteract that.

Dont get me wrong, I miss the Ilum we had(not the very first one where everyone just traded nodes) and wish they would require players to go there to complete that daily(if they wanna just do warzones then let them only be able to complete the warzone daily). . .but taking something this guy said out of context and bashing him on the forums is just wrong.

It's not even like he's in control, he's in charge of the pvp team yes. But he has no control over things like when the game will be released(which was what hurt Ilum the most).

Edited by hargrave

All I ask is the chance

to take a wrong turn

from level 10+ and

find myself in a world

of ganking pain and misery.

I don't *have* to keep taking

that wrong turn,

But knowing THE ENEMY

are OUT THERE

makes a PvP server worth

something.

WARNING! YOU HAVE SELECTED

A PVP SERVER. DO NOT WORRY

THE CHANCES OF ANY PVP

OCCURING OUTSIDE OF A WZ

ARE SLIM TO NONE. HAVE A NICE

DAY NOW!

o_o Sure, some don't like the fear of ganking,

unfair fights, having to avoid areas due to jerks

massing but... ya know, to my mind, that's

part of rolling on PvP server.

Thats the kind of PvP I came for. Sadly I dont think its ever going to happen. Although there is still a chance. I had a blast in the first few weeks after launch ganking on Tat and Voss, and getting ganked too. I ran into a BH in the Voss cantina and the fight was on... It was great. Give us this back please Bioware.

funny how all you forum ragers never actually, you know, pvp. youll only pvp if there is something to farm from it. what is stopping all you, "oh woe is me" types from pvp in the zone on tatooine? or even on ilum for that matter? nothing to farm so you dont show up.

I do.

And when you see 3 people empire and 1 republic including 3 afk... Well after one or two hours of nothing you get back to the fleet

Fine post from all if you i too came from lotro to swtor on the promise of the open world pvp,i'm still waiting lol.

GW2 i'm not sure i can handle another sword n board mmo after 5yrs in lotro, i really hope BW find a solution to this mess we currently have that makes sence to us all.

Not sure what Bw are thinking with the new rated wz stuff or how they are going to cater for the little guy,i'm one of them,i queue solo.

Looks like its nigh on impossible to gain anything from the changes coming in 1.2 for the casual player who wants to pvp.

I have 6mths left on my sub hopfully Planetside 2 will drop as my sub ends.

Personally I dont care about WOW PVP. I loved Aions mass pvp (like 300-500 vs 300-500 during its better days), but this game engine clearly cant handle that kind of data in one place at the same time. So...

...Id like BW to go right back to basics with swtor. Copy SWG static pvp bases. SWG had Naboo/Talus/Corellia bases surround with NPC guards (and players). Its Open World PVP with incentive.

You could attack them anytime of day - entirely up to the players. And you became PVP flagged when you where within a certain radius of the base. Defending the base and letting it flourish reaped rewards in the form of better stim packs etc.

It was a simple mechanic yet it worked so well. I remember endless hours of fun buildin gup GCW from those static bases (pre battlefields).

It gave players the option to try and solo the base or group up, and the closer it got to the base being upgraded, the more people where willing to defend it (or attack it) as the base had some kind of strategic importance.

Or just copy Aions fortress systems. They worked well and encourage lots of players to group up as you needed the masses before you could even get past the NPCs guarding the fort, let alone the opposing faction.

You have 25 days of play time remaining. When your play time runs out, you will no longer be able to play. Please sign up for a recurring subscription plan or redeem a Game Time Code.

I think SWTOR got borring faster than Rift did.

I cant force myself to log in to play 3 WZ for a daly pvp quest.

Fail.

Edited by Romko

funny how all you forum ragers never actually, you know, pvp. youll only pvp if there is something to farm from it. what is stopping all you, "oh woe is me" types from pvp in the zone on tatooine? or even on ilum for that matter? nothing to farm so you dont show up.

Yea, this would never happen with PvErs... they would never complain there isn't enough to farm... :rolleyes:

While I agree with you somewhat, its always nice to have something to fight for, and it also encorourages people to fight. PvP with a purpose will obviuosly get you more interest than PvP with none.

I'd love to fight for my faction, with my faction, that rewards all of us with victories. Put the massively back in MMOs. Fighting soley for the next piece of gear is getting stale for me.

Edited by Tic-