Will SWTOR be able to compete with upcoming MMOs?

SaerethDL

Yeah trying to play WoW now is just painful....and Guild wars 2's Voice acting is just abysmal; still I was going to look over that, but when I found out about the confirmed Pay 2 win cash shop I decided not to preorder.

Except you can't actually buy anything to help you win. Unless you can pwn with a cool hairdo or a fluffy wittle pet :)

WoW's had this for years. For 10 bucks you can buy a shiny mount that every other noob with 10 bucks has.

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except you can't actually buy anything to help you win. Unless you can pwn with a cool hairdo or a fluffy wittle pet :)

WoW's had this for years. For 10 bucks you can buy a shiny mount that every other noob with 10 bucks has.

Actually in GW2 they plan on selling content, also they havn't ruled out things like exp potions.

So that rumor is true...sad day for GW2 fans. Not so much that their's a P2W cash shop, but that the fans NOW have to defend this to the haters, lol.

Yea not to mention it doesnt seem like GW2 is aimed at a pve oriented player. Sure it will have some PVE but the current planned end game content for launch leaves alot to be desired.

8 dungeons in total with only 3 of them being "end game" dungeons they are 5 man dungeons. No raids planned. And supposed dynamic events arent as dynamic as they appear ive heard. They get old pretty quick and currently repeat fairly often aka you will see the same event or very similair events all the time.

That being said im sure on the PVP side of things it will be a great game, that was what the original guild wars was aimed at (although i did like the pve dungeon scenarios in it)

The dungeons that ive seen in gw2 so far dont look half as interesting or well done as the ones in swtor. (although i think the Flashpoints in swtor are fantastic). Endless caves and uninteresting encounters from what ive seen so far. Plus with all the effects the combat looks a bit messy in my oppinion.

I mean ill probably still pick it up but i doubt it will hold my interest for much longer than gw1 did. The pve gearing system looks very linear (even more so than swtor and thats my main problem with swtor) with the dungeons dropping only 1 set per dungeon. I know the game is supposed to be less revolved around gear progression, but honestly thats what im into, i like getting rare items that are hard to find, i like progressing my character through their gear to be honest character progression is what always made mmo's appealing to me.

Won't do anything. It's a different appeal. TERA and GW2 is the same crap done over and over. Medieval, fantasy dragons, elves. So that's why nothing will happen.

Only advantage GW2 has is it's buy2play.

Lol...A totally new dynamic questing system and no archetype classes.

What game has done all that crap before?

Just w8 and see what will happen.

Yeah trying to play WoW now is just painful....and Guild wars 2's Voice acting is just abysmal; still I was going to look over that, but when I found out about the confirmed Pay 2 win cash shop I decided not to preorder.

There is absolutely nothing among these leaked cash shop items that let's you "win" anything. It's nothing more then "pay 2 save time" at the very most.

GW2 looks terrific, but I just can not stand this medieval cr** MMO concepts anymore, "fantasy" setting, elves, witches, magic potions, YAWN.

Really I can´t tell how much I despise these settings and type of gameplay.

The one game I´m really waiting for is that other MMO from E.A., The Secret World, that one is set in the present or near future, but there will also be timetravel to other eras, which is pretty cool. It seems to be a kind of suspense/modern type MMO.

I recently saw a stunning GDC presentation on Youtube, looks mindblowing and if it´s true what will be possible in this game, I will definitely try it on day 1.

I think the following features from TSW are really making it hard for TOR to compete at the current state:

+ Graphics look and perform better than TOR hands down. It simply looks like a 2012 title, not making excuses like "It´s an MMO, therefore it needs to look like a five year old game".

+ A lot of entertaining and interactive things you can do (even "Karaoke" bars (!?) were mentioned, pets which can augment your skills and other neat stuff)

+ More diverse mission types!! There are action missions, but there are also sabotage missions you have to hack into computer networks, "Hitman" style silent assassination of target persons, investigative missions with real puzzles which require some brain work and research. As well as dungeon missions and story missions.

+ Hybrid "Sandpark" approach with some non-combat social activities, guild housing and wide open world areas. Also seasonal weather change for cities and day/night switches.

- From what I´ve read about it in the games FAQ, Raids will only be possible for groups of 10, so this is a drawback

Anyway, my guess is that this game could really rock when it´s released... but there´s time until June, so I hope TOR will bring another huge update after 1.2 in early summer.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

Free experience points is pay 2 win

An "I win" button on your crafting is Pay 2 win

And there will be more trust me.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

How much is Guild wars 2 subscription?

Oh yeah there isn't one...

I smell trouble for a lot of popular mmo's.

The industry is lousy with F2P games; not one of them has ever put so much a s a scratch in a AAA subscription games subs.

People will play GW2 along with whatever they are paying for rather than instead of. Anet even said that was their intent.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

How much is Guild wars 2 subscription?

Oh yeah there isn't one...

I smell trouble for a lot of popular mmo's.

Try it before you think that's an accurate statement. The first Guild Wars was the same and, in my opinion, free or not it was a waste of time.

Well who cares really, todays you have a percentage of people that bounce from new MMO too new MMO no matter how good/bad the one they are playing is.

I played Dark Age of Camelot for 9 years....thats right, 9 freakin' years,and in that time not one MMO could keep me away from yhe awewome RvR/PvP that DAoC did and STILL offers.

However, Star Wars seems that it has unlimited potential in terms of future RvR/PvP and some pretty decent PvE as well. The game does NOT need 5 million players to be fun or successful, DAoC has 3000 players left worldwide and is still the most fun RvR/PvP game going 10 years later......people give up on games waaaaaaayyyy too easily now imo

Well who cares really, todays you have a percentage of people that bounce from new MMO too new MMO no matter how good/bad the one they are playing is.

I played Dark Age of Camelot for 9 years....thats right, 9 freakin' years,and in that time not one MMO could keep me away from yhe awewome RvR/PvP that DAoC did and STILL offers.

However, Star Wars seems that it has unlimited potential in terms of future RvR/PvP and some pretty decent PvE as well. The game does NOT need 5 million players to be fun or successful, DAoC has 3000 players left worldwide and is still the most fun RvR/PvP game going 10 years later......people give up on games waaaaaaayyyy too easily now imo

This. If I could find a server that I liked, I could see myself in SWTOR for a long time.

Well, the problem is that if you aren't having fun playing the game, then cancelling your subscription really is the only option there is. I completely agree that swtor has huge potential, but if someone's not having fun, then why should s/he keep paying for access to the game if s/he's not gonna play the game? I don't see cancelling a subscription of a game you're not enjoying as giving up too easily; in fact, paying for the game even though I'm not gonna play it seems like an incredible waste of money to me.

Edited by MartyCZE

I have to agree with you.I have yet to see someone say that Dark Age of Camelot was a bad pvp game(pre-wow)and I never played DAoC.Maybe that's why ArenaNet is implementing the concept in GW2.

Yeah and the thing is Bioware knows this is a Marathon and not a sprint...what we are hearing now are the Locust; they run from new game to new game mostly to complain and whine how much better they could have done....it's just noise SWTOR has a huge mostly happy sub base...that isn't going to change.

Yeah and the thing is Bioware knows this is a Marathon and not a sprint...what we are hearing now are the Locust; they run from new game to new game mostly to complain and whine how much better they could have done....it's just noise SWTOR has a huge mostly happy sub base...that isn't going to change.

Right now, yes, things make look rosey. But quite a few MMO's looked to have a rosey future, but ultimately ended up losing the majority of subs when those "locusts" you refer to left the game.

There's an old saying: don't count your chickens before they hatch.

An MMO can have masses of "potential", but potential is only of worth when it is brought into reality.

Edited by Tarka

This is what you can currently do in TOR.

1) PvP

2) Run Dailies

3) Run Operations

You can craft, but really, it's too simple to craft. You can do that while you are doing one of the three things listed above.

I can't talk about the MMOs yet to come out, but if they offer more than these three things, then, yes they can easily compete with TOR.

Edited by illgot

ill speak for myself...

TERA - anime style i cant play something like that... tried the beta... did not like it :( = No

GW2 - gfx :confused: gameplay :eek: story line :( = No

SWTOR - star wars :D Bioware :D = HELL YEAH

dont care what peeps say... i like the game and will play it

there will be always people playing :p

GW/Titan are the only on Horizon which will drive more players out of here. Other then that, no other MMO.

same thing mate, GW no.. but Titan yeah will roll it! is coming out at 2016 i think til then SWTOR!

Edited by -Kelerak-

ill speak for myself...

TERA - anime style i cant play something like that... tried the beta... did not like it :( = No

GW2 - gfx :confused: gameplay :eek: story line :( = No

SWTOR - star wars :D Bioware :D = HELL YEAH

dont care what peeps say... i like the game and will play it

there will be always people playing :p

same thing mate, GW no.. but Titan yeah will roll it! is coming out at 2016 i think til then SWTOR!

So your baseline standards change from game to game?

I was thinking of trying Tera until I saw the avatars. Seeing as most of them look like something out of a slightly warped fetish prons video I just don't think I could stomach it. For me, one thing SW really got right was realistic figures and outfits for female avatars and I'm not interested in playing with avatars wearing chain mail bikinis any more. It's too sexualised and while I'm in no way prudish about that I find it immersion breaking to have a toon whose bosom is held up magically by thin air. Edited by Amonette

Personally i hope gw2 takes all or most of the pvp/rvr type players away from here.

Swtor will be better off with out those type of players.

Well it has been my experience that some PVE Heavy players can get real REAL nasty over loot from high level dungeons etc....

Most RvR players that I know might talk some trash, but its all in good fun for the most part...not life and death like stealing someones loot in PVE