Aussie Server Maintenance

Karsaris

Ummm... Would you believe that some companies actually do rotating schedules??

A few of them aren't even big companies at all. :p

I suspect this is much easier to do from a resource perspective for a small company than for one operating the world's second largest MMO.

Bioware has clearly explained its reasoning for choosing a single, global time. Once that approach is given, the choice of time is straightforward (fewest players affected). No matter which time is picked for maintenance, some players will be affected negatively.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamews, thanks for posting that explanation.

Just to clarify, that relates to SAP instances which might not be the case here. The backend databases in use here are most likely SQL or Oracle, and then you have the client.

Backend databases are rarely taken offline for maintenance because that goes against the fundamental design of a RDBMS - always online and high availability. When there is a patch to the databases the patching is done on passive nodes while the active servers remain online. Once the patching of the database servers are done (and the client) then downtime is minimal as the active server nodes are switched off and the passive server nodes become active (the previously active nodes then become passive, and the same patching is done there) - fundamentals of database clusters and replication.

I work for a global company (> 100,000 employees) and I am in charge of the company's main databases, hence my insights. When we perform maintenance we do it in phases so as to keep downtime for each region of the world minimal. We do not use global servers but regional ones, purely because of timezone differences.

Then again my company is a massive consultancy and not a medium sized gaming company so there will be differences.

Edited by Micksteroo

There is the option of zero down time updates. I work for a software company that provides such solutions for telecomunications companies.

It's possible, they chhose not to do it, which is unfortunate.

Look it's pretty clear there are two sides to this argument. Those who believe the scheduled downtime at 2am US time is OK, and those who think the 7pm downtime in Australia is not OK.
Personally, while I'd prefer the overnight shutdown to actually be overnight, I was okay with it being at 7pm. That gives me an hour or so after I get home from work to get my dailies done or maybe squeeze in a hard mode, then I can cook dinner at 7 or get out of the house and do something else.

Now that it's been moved to 6pm that's almost impossible; this Tuesday just gone I got 35 minutes of play time.

Next month when it becomes 5pm I won't be able to play at all on Tuesdays, unless I stay up until 10-11 at night (by which time I should be in bed and the dailies have reset anyway).

For those who aren't sure when DST screws us over, this is what happens to our maintenance times during the year.

March 1st - Oceanic servers opened:

State Shutdown

WA 4pm

NT 5:30pm

QLD 6pm

SA 6:30pm

Vic/NSW¹ 7pm

March 11th - US went into DST:

State Shutdown

WA 3pm

NT 4:30pm

QLD 5pm

SA 5:30pm

Vic/NSW 6pm

* you are here.

April 1st - Aus² comes out of DST:

State Shutdown

WA 3pm

SA/NT 4:30pm

QLD 5pm

Vic/NSW 5pm

May - still 3/5pm

June - still 3/5pm

July - still 3/5pm

August - still 3/5pm

September - still 3/5pm

October 7th - Aus goes into DST:

State Shutdown

WA 3pm

NT 4:30pm

QLD 5pm

SA 5:30pm

Vic/NSW 6pm

November 4th - US comes out of DST:

State Shutdown

WA 4pm

NT 5:30pm

QLD 6pm

SA 6:30pm

Vic/NSW 7pm

December - still 4/6/7

January - still 4/6/7

February - still 4/6/7

March 10th, 2013 - US goes into DST

(see top)

¹ Also includes ACT & Tas

² WA, QLD, NT do not observe DST

So we have 4 months at 6/7pm on the east coast, 2 months (total) of 6pm, and six straight months of 5pm shutdown.

They don't have to do that, but they have decided that's what they're going to do.

meanwhile I have 35 mins to play tonight (typing while in loading screen, plenty of time) and when our DST starts in April the servers will already be shut down by the time I get home from work. Repeat until October. -.-'

No, they have to do that because it's how things work. It's been stated and explained by BW.

No, they have to do that because it's how things work. It's been stated and explained by BW.
It's "how things work" because that's how they designed their infrastructure. If they'd chosen to design it with location-based maintenance windows included we wouldn't be having this problem.

It's "how things work" because that's how they designed their infrastructure. If they'd chosen to design it with location-based maintenance windows included we wouldn't be having this problem.

Indeed. It is constantly surprising how a company in today's global market can continue to be so inadequate in their infrastructure planning.

Problem solved. I have cancelled my SWTOR subscription and will not be coming back until they sort out the maintenance plan and stop screwing us working Aussies over.

Meanwhile guess I'll have to wait for the cuddly pandas and go back to Eve.

Right... so they should have multiple maintenance windows and staggered patch updates so that your personal play time can be accomodated...

Every maintenance period hits during my normal play hours, but it's only 4-8 hours tops, one day a week.

Be honest, if they staggered the updates, you guys would be upset because US-based servers were patched first. Clearly favoritism, right...? So unfair!

It's better to keep all of the servers on the same maintenance schedule and patched equally. Bioware has chosen to do it at overall off-peak hours. They aren't off peak for me, or maybe for you, but that's the breaks.

Right... so they should have multiple maintenance windows and staggered patch updates so that your personal play time can be accomodated...

Every maintenance period hits during my normal play hours, but it's only 4-8 hours tops, one day a week.

Be honest, if they staggered the updates, you guys would be upset because US-based servers were patched first. Clearly favoritism, right...? So unfair!

It's better to keep all of the servers on the same maintenance schedule and patched equally. Bioware has chosen to do it at overall off-peak hours. They aren't off peak for me, or maybe for you, but that's the breaks.

They can stick with their global maintenance as far as I'm concerned. Just have 1 week at 2 a.m. GMT, the next week at 2 a.m. CST, and the next at 2 a.m. AEST and loop through again.

Everyone gets to experience breaks in their prime play time, this would be the fairest way of doing it surely?

Why are the Aussie servers going down for maintenance in the prime time of playable hours for us Aussie's?

The U.S. server go down at 2am so why don't the servers in Australia go down at 2am AEST?

A Little Unfair!!!!!!!!!

Also why are the forums shut down as well?

Some people used the maintenance time to check out forums, Like they did with WoW to catch up on anything new.

There is only one game client for all 3 regions. You can't have 3 separate maintenance times with only 1 client.

Bioware has the option to region lock the servers and then separate maintenance times. This would mean all red zone players will not be able to play the game! Not to mention that people playing on servers that better suit their play times would be forced to go to servers in there region.

Other option is to rotate times so that everyone is affected equally. Problem with this option is the actual employees. How would you feel if your employers said well we are changing your hours every Tuesday. Very few people would bother to stay in a job like that.

I generally play at all times. Though I prefer late night early morning. I generally am playing during patch times. When patches happen during my frequent play times I just find something else to do.

Scheduled maintenance once a week will not kill anyone. If scheduled maintenance is that big a deal to people they really need to take a good hard look in a mirror.

They can stick with their global maintenance as far as I'm concerned. Just have 1 week at 2 a.m. GMT, the next week at 2 a.m. CST, and the next at 2 a.m. AEST and loop through again.

Everyone gets to experience breaks in their prime play time, this would be the fairest way of doing it surely?

How would you feel as an employee and your boss told you oh yeah to make our customers happy you have to change your hours every Tuesday.

You would flip out end of story.

Except that, for people who have work/school during the day, those 4-6 hours are all we have without resorting to unreasonable shifts in rescheduling our day:

I can't reasonably play for 4-6 hours in the morning and then go into work 4-6 hours late.

I can't reasonable go into work 4-6 hours early and then go home and play.

I can't reasonably play all through the night and then go to work (even with 4 hours' sleep).

I can't reasonably play while I'm at work instead of working.

I can't reasonably call in sick every Tuesday.

The "it's only 4-6 hours" argument is a fallacy when that's 90-100% of the available playing time for that day.

Except that, for people who have work/school during the day, those 4-6 hours are all we have without resorting to unreasonable shifts in rescheduling our day:

I can't reasonably play for 4-6 hours in the morning and then go into work 4-6 hours late.

I can't reasonable go into work 4-6 hours early and then go home and play.

I can't reasonably play all through the night and then go to work (even with 4 hours' sleep).

I can't reasonably play while I'm at work instead of working.

I can't reasonably call in sick every Tuesday.

The "it's only 4-6 hours" argument is a fallacy when that's 90-100% of the available playing time for that day.

So don't play that day. The world gonna end if you don't play 1 day per week?

So don't play that day. The world gonna end if you don't play 1 day per week?
That's kinda the problem; it's not like I have a choice whether to play that day or not.

Last month I at least had an hour or 2 to unwind, do some dailies, check my mail, finish off that class quest on Taris so I could (go somewhere more fun). Nothing too serious.

Then, 7pm, cook dinner & catch up on some tv, or head out to a mate's place. no big deal.

Now, and for the next 6-8 months, we're basically excluded from playing on Tuesdays without resorting to unreasonable alternatives.

We're not being given a choice if we want to play on Tuesday evenings or not.

We've had that choice taken away from us; it's choice-theft.

Edited by Dafpants

That's kinda the problem; it's not like I have a choice whether to play that day or not.

Last month I at least had an hour or 2 to unwind, do some dailies, check my mail, finish off that class quest on Taris so I could (go somewhere more fun). Nothing too serious.

Then, 7pm, cook dinner & catch up on some tv, or head out to a mate's place. no big deal.

Now, and for the next 6-8 months, we're basically excluded from playing on Tuesdays without resorting to unreasonable alternatives.

We're not being given a choice if we want to play on Tuesday evenings or not.

We've had that choice taken away from us; it's choice-theft.

And again the world will not end if you can't play every day of the week. Without region locking or forcing employees to rotate unreasonable hours nothing is going to change.

A hobby is healthy. An addiction is very very bad!

How would you feel as an employee and your boss told you oh yeah to make our customers happy you have to change your hours every Tuesday.

You would flip out end of story.

YOU would flip out!

Some of us who have to work each day to get a project completed are faced with that scenario every day, I get it all the time, not just on Tuesdays either my weekends are often used for project completion on a job site 3 hours away, and it's not difficult at all. For doing this we get paid accordingly + overtime and then given 2 days off. If one finds difficulty trying handle their current job, it's probably time to exhaust career options elsewhere.

YOU would flip out!

Some of us who have to work each day to get a project completed are faced with that scenario every day, I get it all the time, not just on Tuesdays either my weekends are often used for project completion on a job site 3 hours away, and it's not difficult at all. For doing this we get paid accordingly + overtime and then given 2 days off. If one finds difficulty trying handle their current job, it's probably time to exhaust career options elsewhere.

I doubt you have to rotate 1 shift a week. Most people would flip out at having to do that. Hard enough to work night shift. let alone be jumping down to a day shift or evening shift one day a week.

I worked 16 hours a day with only 1 or 2 days off a month. I will tell you now many people won't do that either. Even with the compensation it is very hard on the body!

Again it is 1 day a week you can't play. I am positive the world will not end after that one day! It is not like they secretly changed the times for the maintenance.

Remember I play the same time as the oceanic players and I don't think it is a big deal!

Meh. This sort of thing is old news for us Aussies, at least for me, and it honestly doesn't bother me anymore. It's convenient, it's one night a week, we deal with it.

Having said that, i'd pay good money to see the servers down for that long each week in US primetime for a month and have them keep the forums up. I would not miss that show for all the tea in China.

Meh. This sort of thing is old news for us Aussies, at least for me, and it honestly doesn't bother me anymore. It's convenient, it's one night a week, we deal with it.

Having said that, i'd pay good money to see the servers down for that long each week in US primetime for a month and have them keep the forums up. I would not miss that show for all the tea in China.

You are right about the crying. It would be magnificent. I would be laughing at US and Canadian players and telling them the same thing. World is not gonna end.

I would like to add that most emergency patches happen during the day in the US/Can.

Now if the game is going down everyday during your prime time you have a right to be miffed...

I doubt you have to rotate 1 shift a week. Most people would flip out at having to do that. Hard enough to work night shift. let alone be jumping down to a day shift or evening shift one day a week.

I worked 16 hours a day with only 1 or 2 days off a month. I will tell you now many people won't do that either. Even with the compensation it is very hard on the body!

Again it is 1 day a week you can't play. I am positive the world will not end after that one day! It is not like they secretly changed the times for the maintenance.

Remember I play the same time as the oceanic players and I don't think it is a big deal!

This is a poor argument to use. If a company is global, and has customers all over the world to please, they have to desl with different timezones. You employ people with this in mind. If you, as an employee cant adapt to shift patterns, well get a job doing regular shifts.

Having said that, rotating the downtime for regions could be monthly rather than weekly, or even every 4 months. Doesn't have to be weekly.

I support you guys wholeheartedly.

I am upset for EU maintenance times, and the fact that the EU servers are already located in Ireland (EU) and yet we have to cope with the specific US-centric attitude EA/BW shows.

I can only imagine how you guys feel since the maintenance is carried out exactly at your prime time.

Unfortunately i do think that EA/BW doesn't give a rotten tomato about this...

I think your missing the point man, it's not about ONE day a week where we cant play, it's about the fact that many of us only have a few hours on certain days a week to play and for a lot of us one of those days just happens to be a patch day.

Lets say for example you did your 16 hours a day for a month, and then got Monday and Tuesday or Tuesday and Wednesday off. You'd think to yourself "Great, here's a chance to play that new star wars game in the afternoons once I've spent the day catching up on all the housework and associated chores I haven't been able to do 'cos I have been working 16 hours a day for a month and have had only 8 hours left to myself each day, at least 6 of which were spent on sleep". Then 'Bang' server goes down just as you finish dinner and sit down at your computer....

You to would think all of the aforementioned posts regarding this were totally valid, rather than make out like you know whats best for the company, or why they cant do rotating shifts, etc.

Edited by Psyntax