Aussie Server Maintenance

Karsaris

I think there actually is a reason why maintenance is on all servers simultaniously and it's not because they're lazy.

Lets pretend for just a second that maintenance is at 12 am local time each.

This means that talking in Greenwich time it's at 1 am in AUS, 11 am EU and 5 pm US. Now servers go down at 9 am AUS time, what do you do?! Well, lets play on our old US server, it's still up for another couple of hours and we still have friends there from when AUS servers didn't exist.

Great idea. There's just a small problem: Client version.

At the moment the client is able to log into every server there is. With a change so that you have your local maintenance time, this won't be possible anymore, simply because during patch day servers and clients might have different versions. This means serveral things:

- different clients for different areas (technical)

- different version servers /client update distribution for different areas (technical)

- no cross continent playing (legal, because this is what was advertised)

With WoW, you had that scenario. It was not possible for EU clients to log into US servers. Bioware doesn't want this (seems like it)... So global maintenance time is the downside to that.

With that being said, 6 pm as beginning of maintenance is pretty harsh, I'm with you on that ;-)

Warouth

Edited by Warouth

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing to remember is that life isn't fair, so fairness has nothing at all to do with this.

1. When people believe things are not fair they speak out about them, ie. what is happening now.

2. Of course fairness counts when it comes to goods and services

We are not asking for the impossible. Like Psyntax suggested in another thread, how about rotating times so no one gets maintenance during their prime time every week?
Personally, I doubt that they'd do that: it would require the team that does the deployment/maintenance to work on a rotating schedule rather than a fixed one.

I sure hope they only charge their Oceanic subscribers 6/7ths of the price... I'm going back to RIFT
why would they do that? You get just as many minutes of play time each week as someone in a different region.

Now, here's my guess as to why right now all maintenance is done at the same time.

The team that is doing the maintenance and patching is small, as is the team who is there to address and correct any errors and bugs that pop up during the application of the patch. Small at least in comparison to the deployment of the software (i.e. game). They are also being asked to change their entire work, sleep and social schedule for those days when a patch is applied. That's part of the job, and it's not always fun.

Currently it's not economically feasible to create teams for for each region in order to appease everyone and make things convenient for all. The game has only been out for three months now! Yes, you feel like you are second class subscribers because of where you live. You do have a right to comment, but this topic has been beaten to death pretty badly for a long time now. Really, the only options are to be patient, stop playing, or help to develop gaming companies in your country.

Ok, you started off by saying that's your guess, then finished by trying to tell me what my options are, based purely on your guess.

There are so many things wrong with that, even on the most fundamental levels, I find it difficult to even begin, but here goes...

Firstly. As far as changing their entire work, sleep and social schedule for patch days, I think you overlooked the fact that with the current scenario many of us players are expected to do the same. We pay to purchase the key and play, they get paid to provide the goods and service. Simple as that. I respect their right to modify/enhance etc, but my right to ask the question why its done in a manner that adversely affects some of us should also be respected.

For those who play on non local PvP servers this particular timing is bad, since other regions will be able to get that extra leveling done every patch day. After 6/9/12 months this will create a noticeable gap in levels, gear and rank etc, Only to be griefed later on down the track by those who have had the upper hand and think that the term "Pwning Noobs" means relentlessly killing someone 10 levels below them. We all know it'll only be a matter of time...

Secondly. I too have to work night shift on occasions when I am asked to perform duties during the late hours of the evening, sometimes I even have to work weekends as well. I do it because it's my job and I get paid to do it. You think that because they are a software company, they don't have to do night shift??

Thirdly. Where do you get your information on the company's economic feasibility to be in position to say what they can and can't do? Since you obviously don't work for EA or Bioware, I feel obliged to question your source and credibility for this info.

Fourth. No, I personally don't feel like a second class subscriber because of where I live. It's my home country, I was born here and didn't have a choice in the matter, but like many of the other posters I just ask "Why is this so?" hoping/waiting for a GM/DEV/REP to give an answer or shed some light on the matter... heck they may even engage in conversation with us and share ideas...

Fifth and final. Damn straight I have the right to comment!! I have owned the game for 3 whole days now and the second day I owned it was a patch day, no problem.. I'll discuss this with my fellow gamers, hear out their ideas and throw some ideas of my own out there, almost like an open forum for people to meet up, chat and discuss things online...

which is exactly what happened. If you think this topic has been flogged to death, don't click on the topic link... Pretty easy huh? It takes very little effort to scroll past, AND you don't have to hear/read about a topic your obviously bored with.

Edited by Psyntax

Personally, I doubt that they'd do that: it would require the team that does the deployment/maintenance to work on a rotating schedule rather than a fixed one.

Ummm... Would you believe that some companies actually do rotating schedules??

A few of them aren't even big companies at all. :p

Edited by Psyntax

Yeah, I know quite alot of people who have rotating schedules. It's no big deal. Also, if there is one team that does it, they do it during the night, so surely if they have a rotation then they get to work during the day sometimes? That's a plus for them I'm guessing.

It won't ever happen though, if there's the slightest possibility that it will, the uproar on these forums from americans would be huge. And as we all know, they are the most important people in the universe.

Edited by utio

Sure, small companies do that.

People that work for big companies, especially in the US, tend to vastly prefer having a fixed schedule. Employers mostly prefer that too, because they know for sure when bob will be in the office, regardless of the day; they don't like to have to consult the schedule to figure it out.

Edited by Meluna

Also, if there is one team that does it, they do it during the night, so surely if they have a rotation then they get to work during the day sometimes?
No, usually the night team is the night team. When companies rotate people from schedule to schedule, they usually do so on a long term basis... say, for a quarter at a time. The idea that they'd rotate people's schedules on a weekly basis seems pretty far fetched to me.

It won't ever happen though, if there's the slightest possibility that it will, the uproar on these forums from americans would be huge. And as we all know, they are the most important people in the universe.
I think they are the largest part of the subscription base, so they're the most important people to bioware rather than most important in the universe. Of course, the former is really the evaluation that matters; the latter not so much.

Most important doesn't mean that the other groups aren't important; it just means that decisions are going to be mostly weighed in their favor, and things that will cause that group to react negatively will be kept to a bare minimum.

Edited by ferroz

I just had an amazing idea. As americans don't have a problem with going out for an evening while servers are down for maintenance, why not change times to ... lets say 7 pm cst? Would everybody agree to that? That's 01:00 am in EU and 11:00 am in AUS. Not perfect, but better ;-)

And as we all know, they are the most important people in the universe.

so true... But I'm actually glad about that. They'll be invaded first by aliens... ;)

Edited by Warouth

Its not just about taking down the servers, weekly maintenance almost always has at least a small patch associated with it. How is the server supposed to know when to push a patch to your client if you can play on any region's servers (i.e., I live in Ireland, I could decide to play on the Oceanic Servers). I do have friends from the States who play on my EU server. That basically leaves them the option of region locking players. Not a good plan.

No, usually the night team is the night team. When companies rotate people from schedule to schedule, they usually do so on a long term basis... say, for a quarter at a time. The idea that they'd rotate people's schedules on a weekly basis seems pretty far fetched to me.

I think they are the largest part of the subscription base, so they're the most important people to bioware rather than most important in the universe. Of course, the former is really the evaluation that matters; the latter not so much.

Most important doesn't mean that the other groups aren't important; it just means that decisions are going to be mostly weighed in their favor, and things that will cause that group to react negatively will be kept to a bare minimum.

That's fine, they can split the year into 3 and do it that way. It'd probably be easier if they employed a couple more teams though. Let's be honest, they can afford to do so, and it would make, I'm guessing because no one has official figures, over half their subscribers happy.

Largest part of sub base or not, that does not mean the rest of the world deserves being treated as second class subscribers. Being part of a majority is not a basis for having preferential treatment.

Edited by utio

Purely from a marketing perspective, having the server for the Asia Pacific region down for most of the evening during peak play times once a week is a golden opportunity for your competitors to grab customer's off you ( or back off you).

I waited until the March 1 launch to buy the game and was very excited about having a local server for an MMO for the first time.

I suppose one of my expectations (apart from a strong local community and good ping times) is that I would actually be able to play the game during our peak play times.

In short, I'm not complaining our launch was months later than the US launch.

I am disappointed that after you took the extra time to "get it right" our local server is inoperable during local peak play times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyntax

A few of them aren't even big companies at all.

Sure, small companies do that.

People that work for big companies, especially in the US, tend to vastly prefer having a fixed schedule. Employers mostly prefer that too, because they know for sure when bob will be in the office, regardless of the day; they don't like to have to consult the schedule to figure it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyntax

Its at 6pm

And?

I mean, we know it's a dangerous place, what with all of the poisonous critters and crocodiles everywhere, but surely you can go outside for an evening, eh?

Incorrect, large companies do this to you know? I work for a globally based company that has offices all over the world, rotating schedules are just part of the job. Do you really think EA/Bioware directors are paying attention to what time every worker shows up?

I honestly don't believe you have the knowledge and insight to make a comment like that and expect anyone to believe that you somehow know how every company runs it's day to day business?

AND, when it's 6pm, that means it's getting dark here & I've been outside for 12hours, battling poisonous critters and crocs for quite a lengthy period on one of those good weeks where I get to work during the day. Obviously you actually know nothing of this place.

Edited by Psyntax

Look it's pretty clear there are two sides to this argument. Those who believe the scheduled downtime at 2am US time is OK, and those who think the 7pm downtime in Australia is not OK.

Those who are for this time insist that it has to be all done at once, and that the people who are complaining are making a big deal out of a small problem.

The perfect solution is to have it rotate, so that one week it is 2am for US, next it's 2am for EU, then it's 2am for Australia! That way people are only inconvenienced a little over 1 day a month.

I'm sure everybody would be fine with that.:rak_confused:

4 -6hrs 1day a week big woop

Go take your weekly shower

Clean your mums basement

Walk the dog

Spend time with your families

4hrs away from the computer won't kill you

Edited by denpic

4 -6hrs 1day a week big woop

Go take your weekly shower

Clean your mums basement

Walk the dog

Spend time with your families

4hrs away from the computer won't kill you

I wonder if you missed the point on purpose just so you could post a sarcy reply. Or maybe you really dont understand.

I thought it was bad for Europe, but poor old australasia are getting shafted big time.

Edited by utio

I've posted about this numerous times and even raised customer support tickets which BW which have been promptly closed without a care in the world, and no hint of a resolution (or even an explanation).

I've paid $79.95 for the game and now want to cancel my subscription, but that still leaves me $79.95 out of pocket. Anyone think I might have a case for Fair Trade Australia?

Before you trolls start to trash my post, I normally play 3 days a week - Monday to Wednesday for around 2-3 hours in the evening.

Edited by Micksteroo

I've posted about this numerous times and even raised customer support tickets which BW which have been promptly closed without a care in the world, and no hint of a resolution (or even an explanation).

I've paid $79.95 for the game and now want to cancel my subscription, but that still leaves me $79.95 out of pocket. Anyone think I might have a case for Fair Trade Australia?

So your problem with the game is the server maintenence times? Of course they're not going to cater to some player raising tickets complaining about the maintenence times, and they're not going to change it just for you.

You paid $79.95 for the game yes? And you played it yes? Sorry buddy, you definitely have no case what so ever with Fair Trading. Get off your high horse and self-entitlement.

i did a little searching over why BW would decide to do maint the way they do and found this

As more and more companies are acquiring other companies with different and disparate databases there are complexities that come from merger and integration of the IT applications. Even in the organic growth, when a company grows across geographies, it is seen that multiple SAP systems may need to be merged.

In such situations, one major question that every CIO grapples with is should one have One Single SAP Global Instance or Separate Regional Instances.

TO properly evaluate, there are many things that need to think through. The pros and cons of the two different alternatives are a good startiing point for that evaluation and discussion.

Single Global Instance(maint)

Advantages

Maximum utilisation of SAP Functional Integration

Forces standardisation or commonality

Lower cost of on-going maintenance

Organisation-wide operational reporting is standard

Disadvantages

Various technical constraints that have to be managed

The online Transactional volume is heavy 24 hrs a day

Response time considerations across global WAN

Inability to accurately estimate client/server workload

More Business Unit impact when system unavailable

Separate Regional Instances (maint)

Advantages

Provides the greatest configuration flexibility between regions

Allows diversity

Reduces the issues with Technical Constraints

Disadvantages

Multiple separate data bases

SAP Functional Integration is limited

Organisation-wide operational reporting is non-standard

Cost of on-going maintenance is Higher

Commonality is manually maintained and is not forced by the software

Edited by jamews

Aussie based player.

No problem with maintance times. Keep as is pls. So I miss one day a week. Big wop!

And I see ppl complaining about maintance being 1 hr early this week.(lol step outside ur bubble)

So FYI Australia players our daylight savings ends soon so there be another time chg for some come maintance time google it now don't be left behind.