Aussie Server Maintenance

Karsaris

lol I love how you ignore the 2 major reasons for a universal time and pick out the 3rd one just thrown in for good measure....

Twas a silly argument. I had no choice but to point it out. Other reasons have been discussed and will be discussed further.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its because after playing MMO's for well over 10 years it amuses me that this is always complained about and I mean ALWAYS and after all these years it has never once been changed.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

It's a different world, 10 years is a long time. Tech has changed, expectations have changed. Maybe it's about time the people who are happy with the status quo to change too? If change makes things fairer to all customers then that's good. Isn't it?

Maybe its because after playing MMO's for well over 10 years it amuses me that this is always complained about and I mean ALWAYS and after all these years it has never once been changed.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

Lol. Blizzard pushed back the Oceanic maintenance times by about 5 hours to reduce prime time down time as a result of customer feedback.

I am guessing your American playing on American severs? Why are you even posting in this thread? Are you that lonely?

I would love an official explanation on whether it is possible to delay maintenance for 6 hours for Australians, and it appears Europeans.

I mean unless the roll/security/etc servers are linked from onshore to US, thus a vital link requiring update on all clients, there is really no reason to delay it.

...And yet here you are doing exactly that. Posting a poorly thought out response multiple times and expecting everyone to just cease voicing their opinions...

Wake up man, I'm pretty sure it's 2012 and we are in the tech age, not 2001 and still on dial-up. If your so amused at the consistency of this topic when nothing changes, what makes you think the topic would just fade away to a pipe dream so suddenly??

That's like expecting the laws of physics to just suddenly cease to apply.

Current.......

US (PST) 12am-8am

EU (London) 7am-3pm

AUS (Sydney) 6pm-2am

Now lets give Australia the US time....

US (PST) 6am-2pm

EU (London) 1pm-9pm

AUS (Sydney) 12am-8am

Personally I wouldn't care if they gave you the same time we currently get but I am pretty sure EU players wouldn't like it at all...

You would be incorrect.. To do maintenance on all the servers, they have to all be brought down..

Welcome to a world wide service in a connected society.. Nothing wierd about it..

I fail to see why these threads have to be created every Monday night.. Nobody likes maintenance.. But we all have to deal with it.. ;)

You are incorrect. Other companies patch their servers all around the world at different times to reduce down time in a zone's peak playing time. There is no reason why Bioware are globalizing their maintenance times other than to be able to state they run a global service. It is poor customer service on their behalf and the excuse they use is pitiful.

Whilst it is wonderful for BW to give us localised servers, I would expect localised service as part of the package. To date no one has stated an argument for the current maintenance schedule that makes compelling sense for why they do it this way.

We all PAY the same subscription fee so we all expect the same game access and quality experience.

First off we all get the same access... all the servers go down at the same time for everyone regardless of their location on the globe

You can never please everyone but pissing off the least amount of people is the best you can do, and the times as they are set for a universal maintenance accomplish that.

Current.......

US (PST) 12am-8am

EU (London) 7am-3pm

AUS (Sydney) 6pm-2am

Now lets give Australia the US time....

US (PST) 6am-2pm

EU (London) 1pm-9pm

AUS (Sydney) 12am-8am

Personally I wouldn't care if they gave you the same time we currently get but I am pretty sure EU players wouldn't like it at all...

Why are you still here? This is the Australian Maintenance Times Thread. Seriously mate, we don't give a rats *** what you think about the topic.

*For the people affected by the topic of the thread this is the only official response that I have seen. (and it's pretty weak imo)

Rtwozero - Any plans to implement region by region maintenance times?

Blaine Christine (Sr. Producer, Live Services): At this time there are no plans to implement separate maintenance times by region. Star Wars: The Old Republic is a global service with no restrictions on a player’s server choice.

Unfortunately the trade-off is that we have to maintain a single service environment, which leads to global maintenance periods. We are very sensitive to the fact that we are limiting play time once per week with a global scheduled maintenance.

We have carefully examined global peak times and the number of players affected by our planned downtime. Those of you that have been with us since launch may have noticed that the first few patches were scheduled at 4 AM CST; we very quickly adjusted to 2 AM CST. The reason for this adjustment was an analysis of the peak time play patterns by region that resulted in the current start time.

We understand that this is especially concerning to players in the European and newly opened Asia/Pacific server regions. We will always do our best to minimize the downtime, but it is the only way that we can perform critical service updates on the game client and on the game’s network infrastructure, underlying platform systems and so on.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to us – we will always listen and do our best to make adjustments when possible, but at this time, we have to move forward with a single global maintenance period.

Why are you still here? This is the Australian Maintenance Times Thread. Seriously mate, we don't give a rats *** what you think about the topic.

I pay the same subscription fee's as you do so my opinion is just as valid as your opinion...:rolleyes:

So why spend so much time trying to devalue our opinion?

I disagree with your opinion is all but I guess people post on forums to only have people agree with them god forbid there are other view points and a discussion happens.

I disagree with your opinion is all but I guess people post on forums to only have people agree with them god forbid there are other view points and a discussion happens.

No no, I am more than willing to agree to disagree Compromise is an achievable outcome, but your relentless disagreeing achieves nothing. Not once have you actually put forward an idea or suggestion that would benefit everyone. Although, I did get a good laugh out of the kangaroo and drop bears you mentioned earlier on in the thread.

There is a reason my signature is the Oxford dictionary definition of the word 'forum'.

Edited by Psyntax

No no, I am more than willing to agree to disagree Compromise is an achievable outcome, but your relentless disagreeing achieves nothing. Not once have you actually put forward an idea or suggestion that would benefit everyone.

There is a reason my signature is the Oxford dictionary definition of the word 'forum'.

All I am saying is the set up currently is best for everyone, its why most gaming companies choose the same exact setup. They are trying the effect the least amount of people negatively and It's only usually less than 8 hours out of a week...

Just so much rage over a couple hours, I never quite get it. Go take your wife/gf out to dinner and get some that day... and if you don't have one go out and find one during the downtime. Boggles my mind how its always an issue that gets so much rage.

Edited by Surgin

Further down the line when more subscriptions are required I can see the maintenance slot time being changed it really is totally unacceptable that a region loses a good proportion of a nights gaming.

If BW EA stick with this time a reduction in subscription should be implemented to cover the gaming time lost.

This will just irritate people who are paying the same price but are receiving less game time than other regions.

I thought EU time was bad but at least its off peak, I hope this gets sorted for you all in the future.

All I am saying is the set up currently is best for everyone, its why most gaming companies choose the same exact setup. They are trying the effect the least amount of people negatively and It's only usually less than 8 hours out of a week...

Just so much rage over a couple hours, I never quite get it. Go take your wife/gf out to dinner and get some that day... and if you don't have one go out and find one during the downtime. Boggles my mind how its always an issue that gets so much rage.

Ever heard of the saying i'm alright jack! its not a couple of hours and would your reaction be the same if this was happening to you?

2 Kids walk in a shop to buy some sweets they have the same amount of money and buy the same items, but one kid ends up getting less cashier says "well he lives further down the street from you" is this the right attitude.

Correct, they don't have to pull down all the servers at the same time.....Bioware just seem to think that its cool to state they provide a world wide service that runs all at the same time. Weird.

Personally you would think it would be better customer service to not pull servers down during prime time....they'd win more fans that way.

Meanwhile, brace yourself for this thread to be flooded with the usual "sorry I'm alive" crowd that seem to think we must accept everything every company does without question, and just be greatful we can give them our money.

Wrong as long as BW is running the same client with access to all 4 zones, they can't run individual maintenance windows. You can't have a newly updated client logging into a old server. For BW to provide different maintenance windows they would have to do some form of region locking or maybe a form of server revision locking.

So here's how the server revision locking would work. At 3:00AM CST both the NA East and West servers go down. No one has access to them for 4-8 hours. They come back up and only NA clients can download the new client so any europeans (in prime time) or aussies who play on North American Servers can't log in. Americans who play on European and Aussie Servers can't login either. Some time after midnight in Australia they start the 4-8 maintenance and at the end the Aussies get the new client and NA adn Aussie players can now log on to both North American and Aussie servers. Europeans can only log into European servers.

Now possible even before the Aussie Maintenance is complete, European servers come down for maintenance, the Europeans still can log on any servers. 4-8 hours later after the new client is downloaded, Europeans who play on North American servers are finally able to get back on.

So lets see the deployment team has worked at least a triple shift, Any European players who play on North American server have been down for upto 24 hour or even more. The Aussie players had upto 16 or possibly more hours without access NA servers and upto 8 or more hours off European servers. NA users wouldn't have access to Aussie servers for upto 8 or more hours and European Servers upto 16 or more hours.

So that would be a complete mess and they won't do that. That leaves region locking. IE if you live in NA, you only play on North American servers, etc. If they switched to that then they could have regional maintenance.

Edited by JerokTalram

Firstly, OP asked why? a lot of the responses aren't actually answers to the question, just a statement saying "Learn to deal with it". Doesnt really shed any light on the question asked.

I can not understand why Aus/Euro prime time is the one most active time that gets affected by these updates. Seems a little unfair and shortsighted on the planning side. Population has nothing to do with it, we paid as much as anyone else to purchase and subscribe.

We Aussies and the Euro's are a fair bunch and I think that if the server maintenance was staggered so that if a region is going to have their prime time affected it's not the same region every time. Change it up a bit so that every region has to experience a prime time outage, at least THAT would be fair.

Or is asking for fairness like trying to network a dictionary with a book case??

Maintenance times are during the day in Europe. Unless they run more than 8 hours, they are not in primetime even in Germany. The only place the this maintenance runs in prime time is Australia and the rest of the Oceanic region.

Of course they can split maintances...... that doesn't mean they will.

EU times are annoying (being in mid-peak times), but fur AU servers it's pretty much in Prime Time which seems willfully obsinate of Bioware, and just isn't a good customer service move (and I can't see how it can ever be painted as such).

The only way to split maintenance is to region lock. If SWTOR had decided to region lock the game, no Aussies would have gotten early access. There would be no Europeans playing on North American servers. Everything would be locked to your region.

SWTOR could still do this but since they let the cat out of the bag so to speak and went World wide they would at least have to wait for the completion of their transfer tool before doing it.

First off we all get the same access... all the servers go down at the same time for everyone regardless of their location on the globe

You can never please everyone but pissing off the least amount of people is the best you can do, and the times as they are set for a universal maintenance accomplish that.

All get access to the same time yeah, but you conveniently forget that this is the whole point of the argument for separate/rotated downtimes across the 3 regions. Same time globally does not work.

Secondly, upsetting any customer is bad, and saying the it's ok to upset less than half is even worse. There is a solution that means all customers get fairly treated. That's the answer.

Maintenance times are during the day in Europe. Unless they run more than 8 hours, they are not in primetime even in Germany. The only place the this maintenance runs in prime time is Australia and the rest of the Oceanic region.

Doesn't matter. Point is we have no downtimes during our nights. None. Is there a valid reason for this? No. No reason I have seen on this thread is a valid reason, it's just people saying that's the way it is, deal with it, can't be done, etc.

It can be done. Rotate the maintenance every month, or every 2/3 months, so all 3 regions get downtime at night in fair amounts.