Is there an actual reason for Republic numbers being so low?

Obilam

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But ... as a consular you occasionally get to throw C2-N2's dismembered carcass as your enemy.

That surely trumps any tickling with lightning.

How and when do you do this?????

Might sideline my Sent for this kinda action :eek:

But ... as a consular you occasionally get to throw C2-N2's dismembered carcass as your enemy.

That surely trumps any tickling with lightning.

I find it funny that where ever you go there droids buried under the ground. The whole galaxy is a droid graveyard!

But I agree, Droid to face >>>>> lightning IMO

Also, getting pelted with a constant stream of rocks >>>> lightning. Rocks break bones and rip your skin off!

There's been quite a bit of reasoning based upon psychoanalysis of the player base and I believe a good portion of that is true. If you ever spend any time looking around fleet for bad names, you'll find more on Empire side, mostly silly "Darth Murdurous Killerz" and the like.

/shrug

My wife and I intended to play Republic and started out as a gunslinger/sage combo and had a blast but it was lonely because all our friends from another game rolled Empire. So...we converted.

That said, having played both sides a bit (2 50's on Empire and other alts vs. 28 Trooper/25 SMuggler on Pub side), I think the Imp quest lines are a little more compelling. I honestly think the Trooper quests up through Nar SHaddaa are awful and just dumb. To be fair, the agent isn't thrilling me either.

Overall, I think the stories are pretty good but their weakest parts are how severely slanted they are. The Sith really are evil. Not just a different spin on morality, not a 'certain point of view' but harsh, callous, cruel and brutal. Evil for evil sake. On the flip side, Republic is over the top pollyanna goodie-goodie. That's where the trooper story really fails.

In practice, most of my characters are 'gray' I have a lvl 15 Jedi who is all good. My agent is all bad. My BH is slightly light, strangely enough, but even then I end up doing things I'd rather not. Crap, my wife's Sorc is pure evil and I now sleep with one eye open IRL.....

I don't have an answer for the imbalance. I'd like to think its existance would persuade people to roll the opposite faction but I doubt it. The Legacy updates will break down some of the barriers, though....I rolled alts to support my mains and their crafting. If I can do it on the Pub side, all the better....though, I only have one free character space.....

And I don't see how allowing every Imp class to be able to have force-lighting, when legacy kicks in with patch 1.2, is going to help population balance in any way.

Stupis stupid decision.

the very idea that BHs and IAs will get to use lighting really really bugs the crap out of me, bioware says they respect star wars lore and turn around and pull this crap..., force users shooting lightning out of their fingertips great job there...

Maybe lucas will see this and decide to add force lightning to Bobba's abilities, oh the thought makes me sick :(

It's strictly tied to the heroic moment ability which has a 20 minute CD, so it's not like BHs and IAs will be spamming Force Lighting even if they use the ability every time the CD is up.

It all depends on the server you play on. I have an empire main and a republic alt and there are always more players in the republic zones.

If you look through the forums I'm sure you'll find just as many posts of people saying "waaah, there's too many republic players. IMBALANCE!" (or something to that effect).

Throwing rocks <<<<< Shooting lightning.

There, I solved your problem.

I just wished it was that simple.

I started as Rep and see myself playing Empire more and more. Reasons? I very often find design issues that gives Empire classes an advantage over Republic classes, e.g.:

- Consulars vs Inquisitors: rocks can't interrupt bomb placement as instantly as lightning, rocks can't hit as fast to allow a killing blow before the target dies or worse vanishes and then kill you, aoe push from inquisitor not only activates faster but pushes enemies around farther.

- Jedi Knights vs Sith Warrior: SW has faster CD and higher dot dmg (at least on the tooltip from naked chars), don't know if the force pushes are the same distance.

- Commando vs Mercs: Some very commonly used commando abilities activate slower and from the point damage/resource overtime Mercs have like 8% advantage.

- Scoundrel vs IA: 30 sec less on AoE CC: 90 sec on scoundrel vs 60 sec on IA, IA stun allows you to use it while running while scoundrel one roots the user in place, (fixed: operative healing talent gave double crit chance than scountrel).

Add to that a more visual appealing design to armors and the fleet, Kira Carsen, Jedi Knight companion, has a quote about this:

"Have you seen what the Sith are wearing these days? It's like all the fashion designers in the galaxy joined the Dark side."

Questing: let's hit this issue hard: Inquisitor vs Consular: seriously do them, Inquisitor starting area takes like 1/3 of the time as the Consular one.

PVP: "Imp turret" on Alderaan WZ fire at a faster rate

There is however the epic feeling on the Space Missions that Consulars can experience. As an Inquisitor it seems like you're using your weapons to destroy things in the trash yard while as a Consular you get the feeling that even a trash bin can be a dangerous weapon in your hands.

I just wished it was that simple.

I started as Rep and see myself playing Empire more and more. Reasons? I very often find design issues that gives Empire classes an advantage over Republic classes, e.g.:

- Consulars vs Inquisitors: rocks can't interrupt bomb placement as instantly as lightning, rocks can't hit as fast to allow a killing blow before the target dies or worse vanishes and then kill you, aoe push from inquisitor not only activates faster but pushes enemies around farther.

- Jedi Knights vs Sith Warrior: SW has faster CD and higher dot dmg (at least on the tooltip from naked chars), don't know if the force pushes are the same distance.

- Commando vs Mercs: Some very commonly used commando abilities activate slower and from the point damage/resource overtime Mercs have like 8% advantage.

- Scoundrel vs IA: 30 sec less on AoE CC: 90 sec on scoundrel vs 60 sec on IA, IA stun allows you to use it while running while scoundrel one roots the user in place, (fixed: operative healing talent gave double crit chance than scountrel).

Add to that a more visual appealing design to armors and the fleet, Kira Carsen, Jedi Knight companion, has a quote about this:

"Have you seen what the Sith are wearing these days? It's like all the fashion designers in the galaxy joined the Dark side."

Questing: let's hit this issue hard: Inquisitor vs Consular: seriously do them, Inquisitor starting area takes like 1/3 of the time as the Consular one.

PVP: "Imp turret" on Alderaan WZ fire at a faster rate

There is however the epic feeling on the Space Missions that Consulars can experience. As an Inquisitor it seems like you're using your weapons to destroy things in the trash yard while as a Consular you get the feeling that even a trash bin can be a dangerous weapon in your hands.

Can you actually back up any of those imbalance issues you claim exist with hard evidence?

If such a thing were occurring, Bioware would be all over it (they have no reason to favor one side over the other).

What I think is happening is that you're seeing the animations and assuming that because one animation allegedly appears a little slower, that the effect timing must be off as well.

I could be wrong, but as I said, if it were happening then Bioware would be all over it.

Can you actually back up any of those imbalance issues you claim exist with hard evidence?

If such a thing were occurring, Bioware would be all over it (they have no reason to favor one side over the other).

What I think is happening is that you're seeing the animations and assuming that because one animation allegedly appears a little slower, that the effect timing must be off as well.

I could be wrong, but as I said, if it were happening then Bioware would be all over it.

Seriously?

Have you never seen these issues? There a lot of posts here, also on the PVP forums and videos on youtube.

Here's what I got from 5 min search:

http://www.swtor.com/de/community/showthread.php?t=156661

This is an old thread about these issues. One thing to notice is that the difference pointed out regarding AoE heals from sage having an extra tick over the Inquisitor one was quickly fixed.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=101553

http://www.swtor.com/fr/community/showthread.php?t=176314

Older threads reporting these issues since the launch. They still remain. So much for BW being all over it.

Seriously?

Have you never seen these issues? There a lot of posts here, also on the PVP forums and videos on youtube.

Here's what I got from 5 min search:

http://www.swtor.com/de/community/showthread.php?t=156661

This is an old thread about these issues. One thing to notice is that the difference pointed out regarding AoE heals from sage having an extra tick over the Inquisitor one was quickly fixed.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=101553

http://www.swtor.com/fr/community/showthread.php?t=176314

Older threads reporting these issues since the launch. They still remain. So much for BW being all over it.

Just because there are a lot of people QQing, doesn't make them correct.

What possible reason would Bioware have for intentionally making/leaving things unbalanced?

Edited by sockrocker

the imperial being what most people go to is ok but i put a post about this i am getting "weary" of my server and for the first time i almost see what people mean about 'quitting'

i just want to see a decent balance of republic side vs the gear and player of imperials we fight on our server

It's strictly tied to the heroic moment ability which has a 20 minute CD, so it's not like BHs and IAs will be spamming Force Lighting even if they use the ability every time the CD is up.

I don't care if you can only use it once every week, it makes no sense and shouldn't be in game.

It all depends on the server you play on. I have an empire main and a republic alt and there are always more players in the republic zones.

If you look through the forums I'm sure you'll find just as many posts of people saying "waaah, there's too many republic players. IMBALANCE!" (or something to that effect).

But you don't. Where are the posts about too many Republic players? There are however, quite a few posts about too many Imperial players. Even people playing on the Empire side have posted.

Bioware probably did not make them imbalanced intentionally, nor left them imbalanced. They may very well have caused the imbalanced by negligence, or favouritism (like parents do but will never admit), and they have done nothing to address the imbalance. Nor is there any elegant way to address it.

This inevitably happens when you offer black leather on one side, and a burlap sack in the other, and let people have free choice. The problem for PvP is that the system is not dynamically responding to the imbalance.

Alliance Battles in Guild Wars has an imperfect but dynamic system. When one side wins a few times, the fight goes to maps that the losers have a geographical advantage, and it swings back and forth. Of course, it also allows every player/guild to play fight on either side, allowing free movement of players.

Cross-faction WZ and FP would address this issue.

Take a look at the number of saber swingers to trigger pullers - That ratio is also ~4:1.

Now let's look at core classes:

Jedi vs Sith - Sith get Force Choke

Consulars vs Inquisitors - Inquisitors get Force Lightning

Empire get red lightsabers.

Empire get British voice acting

All that plus lack of consequences for your actions brings all the cool kids, even the ones in their 30s & 40s, to Empire.

Another thing that I do not think has been commented upon is the type of quests given. On the imperial sides, I have played both Sith classes and found that the quest givers amusing, if not outright hilarious to listen to. Granted, some of the quests are undeniably evil, but but they are still fun to watch and play through. For example, on the side quests of Taris, you play against a rival (not naming anything spoileriffic) and the banter and dialogue offsets the blatant psychopathy and is stilll one of my favourite quest serieses.

On the republic side, the questgivers assume you will assist them, and morally browbeat you into accepting if otherwise. I wish to play the game to relax and roleplay my characters, not to be bullied by sanctimonious moisture farmers, soldiers too afraid to do their own job or morally corrupt politicians, especially when trying to roleplay a relatively callous smuggler who really doesn't like the republic.

okay, my rant is done.:jawa_redface:

I came to this conclusion while waiting for your response. The only real reason (other than being twisted) for going with dark-side options is in fact role play. I get it, honest. You play a Sith Warrior, and it wouldn't make sense for him to stop and smell a flower, or pet a bunny. It would make sense for him to kill anybody in his way. So that has opened my eyes.

Know what you mean. prior military, self-defense instructor afterwords, specialized in women's S/D. there's enough nasty stuff out there in real life that I don't need it in my game.

Ironically, I went empire.

It could be RP reasons, though i stick with light side empire. I adjust my RP to reflect that. tried the dark option...just can't do it.

My main reason to go Empire (not dark....empire), was the character design and animation. I love my juggernaut, but I don't enjoy playing the knight on repub side. I like BH, but find the trooper boring to play (and don't like the rifle option). the animations on many of the empire toons are more interesting to me. I also like the gear styles more on empire side (again, not dark). On a different note, I prefer the sage/consular animations over the inquisitor (yes...im one of the rare peeps that doesn't like the lightning. feel like a bug zapper). I like the storylines on empire side more, but i like the story intent (and some portions of the plot development) on repub side more.

So I end up mixed. One of my big issues is many of the quests don't really give you solid light/dark options. I'm thinking of one in particular (of many), on coruscant. where you have a girl whos family was destroyed by the war, and is fighting a senator whos against the movement. she makes sense. I want to help her. i get caught getting info from the droid. the guy who catches me gives me some speech about ruining democracy. so my choice is to allow a bad senator to continue his mis-information (light choice), and give the girl false information, or take the truth back to her, which was dark.

And to top it off...i had to lie to her to continue my light side points.

many of the quests just leave me scratching my head as to why i got what I did. I'm actually happier about my light side choices often on the empire side. Most of them feel like your giving the person a break, and really helping them out. many of the repub light choices leave me feeling like im at best a poor negotiator. a family gets kicked out of their farm. I go back, and aliens there say their claim is more important. so I have to decide who to give it to? I guess my option for making them both farm the plot is the best....but I didn't feel like i was really being the good guy at that point. just too many times i wondered if it was really a good choice on repub side. whereas on empire side, it was very black and white. i could play the light side person, put some intresting RP into it for the character, and the choice between dark side and light side were often very clear. far more then on repub side.

the light shines brightest in the darkness. Empire and republic are mere shells for the evil and the good are on both sides. your choices make you who you are.

I don't care if you can only use it once every week, it makes no sense and shouldn't be in game.

It also doesn't make sense for there to be thousands of Emperor's Wrath, or thousands of Dark/Jedi council members. Also doesn't make sense that players, get the same companions you do.

The point? Its a game, get over it and have some fun.

Why do ppl not play Republic?

No one wants to play an emotionless, sexless robot. aka Jedi. Jedi in this game have about as much personality as the Jedi did in the prequels.

Great point. The only republic class with any real personality is the smuggler.

Why do ppl not play Republic?

No one wants to play an emotionless, sexless robot. aka Jedi. Jedi in this game have about as much personality as the Jedi did in the prequels.

Yes because sith are so deep.

You're in my way, Die!

You're ugly, Die!

You aren't human, Die!

You said something wrong, Die!

You said something right, Die!

It's a wonder they have anyone left to rule over when they murder just about everyone they meet.

That doesnt bother me to much, but i was just wondering if there is an actual reason for this?

There is an actual and a very simple reason for that.

The coolness factor.

Empire is just way cooler in terms of looks, storyline and abilities.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.