NEW GEAR PICS: Out With the Old

Starglide

The way I see it:

Republic

Smuggler: 6/10 The armor design is good, but like Kierthos said above me, the colors are just too bright. Some browns or dark greens would be nice. And I can't get oer how much his helmet looks like a beer hat you would see at a baseball game.

Jedi Knight: 7/10 Good overall look and colloring but the overall design seems a bit...I don't know bland? Overused? And the spoilers on his shoulderguards don't see all combat worthy to me. Love the shiny gloves/vambraces though.

Trooper: 9/10 This is waht I'm gonna be wearing, no doubt!:D All the little details look amazing! The air tubes coming out at the elbows. And the madolorian/mass effect design of the helmet looks great. I just wish it came in black though.:(

Jedi Consular: 9/10 Overall it is the simplest armor design out of all of them. But it looks really good. No giant robes or Queen Amidala sytle headresses. Consular fans are going to love this!:) Wonder how it looks on a male though. :/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Empire

Imperial Agent: 7/10 Again the design is good but the bright colors plus the gas mask make her look like a HAZMAT unit rather than a secret agent. Or is that what Bioware was going for? :confused:

Sith Warrior: 6/10 Good design but the double layer shoulderpads seem a bit overkill. And the helmet just looks to fantasy-like, like something you would see out of World of Warcraft (I know I said it I'm sorry!:eek:)

Bounty Hunter: 7/10 The only design I am not that pleased with. The entire armor seems amess with cluttered gadgets and gizmos. An over all simplified design would be better. And I can't comment on his helmet because his blasters in the way!:D

Sith Inquisitor: 8.5-9/10 Finally some evil looking armor! The look seems like a voodoo witch doctor type from Diablo 3 and II'm fine with that. I made my Sith Inquisitor want to strike fear into the hearts of his enemies and that one does the trick. I love the undead/necromantic look to the armor the most! Those spikes coming out of the helmet could be a little shorter though. And It would look MUCH better in black!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, the designs are there, but in cases like the Jedi Knight and Consular, some small stuff could be added. Others like the Smuggler, Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor could have aspects shortened or removed entirely. And the concept over all of them that I feel are necessary are color changes, whether to make them look more epic or more Star Wars.

Edited by Rohanshot

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the yellow bandage thingie on the smuggler some kind of padding to be be more confortable in cover position?

Rep side:

- Just change the smuggler's helmet. Rest is decent enough I guess.

- JK, better than what we have now, though the helm looks a bit weird. I'd still like to have an actual difference between guardian and sentinel gear (Heavy/medium).

- Troopers look awesome, as usual.

- Some originality with the consular's outfit, I like it.

Imp side:

- IA's not super original, but at least it fits the class.

- SW, without the helm it looks quite cool (though same problem with heavy/medium armor). With the helm...well let's just say I didn't like that helm on death knight tier 12, and I still don't like it now :p.

- BH's less cool than the trooper, but still gives off a nice "don't mess with me" vibe.

- SI have chosen to fuse with a Tyranid alien to harness their power.

Edited by ichime

Keep in mind you're not going to be able to wear that gear if you min max at all, you'll need to be wearing crafted orange gear. I'm more interested in their models if there's any additional recipes in 1.2

This is wrong. Crafters will be able to reverse engineer the end game gear for the design schematic.

The way I see it:

Republic

Smuggler: 6/10 The armor design is good, but like Kierthos said above me, the colors are just too bright. Some browns or dark greens would be nice. And I can't get oer how much his helmet looks like a beer hat you would see at a baseball game.

Hey, there's a thought... maybe it will have a proc to dispense beer and/or medpacs!

Seriously, I'd rather spend the inordinate amounts of cash to yank the mods out of that thing and put them in my current orange goggles then wear the 'hammerhead'.

Honestly, my biggest problem with the Smuggler armor shown (other then the hat... that's too easy to pick on) is that it doesn't say "Smuggler" to me.

Okay, sure, not every Smuggler is going to have a longcoat and a wide-brimmed hat. But I just can't see ever wearing such bright colors. We're Smugglers. Smoke-filled cantinas. Back alley deals to get goods past blockades. The wrong side of the law, even if it is for a good cause.

None of that says yellow tunic and white trousers to me. Sure, Han Solo had a white (or off-white) shirt, but he wore a dark vest over it. He wasn't dripping with accessories, and he sure wasn't wearing something with handles on his head. (Okay, sorry, put in a dig at the headpiece anyway.)

I agree with this.

The only thing "new" about the warrior armor is the helmet, the rest can largely be closely duplicated with what's already ingame.

Agent got screwed over a bit with yet another generic appearance and gas mask, really, another gas mask? What's with the gas mask obsession? There's a ton of them for the medium armor tier, smugglers get hats and agents get gas masks?

Iinquisitors...wth...it's naked chiss with lightning scar pattern and an alien headslot, yeah, that was really well done...

And for crying out loud, another Fett-ish armor for bounty hunters? Are you serious? Everything in the game is already Fett-ish except 1 set of newb gear and now we get MORE Fett-ish gears? Fire the BH gear designer and get a new one, Boba Fett was NOT the only Star Wars Bounty Hunter in existence, not to mention he totally sucked.

The consular appearance is actually good, it's real design that is new and appropriate to the class. This is how you add new gear, different than what's already in the game, and explore more ways to show off the class in the universe, not just copy and paste the same design you've had over and over and add a spiky shoulder pad to it.

Jedi knight, yeah, suffers from the shoulder pad solution, minor changes to what's ingame already and only seems different because of the palette they used for the promo. Can't really say much at this point as I'm generally not interested in JK.

Smuggler...take the helmet off and give them a bandit mask with a long scarf that wraps around their neck, and slap some goggles on top too and it'll look waay better than what's there. Overall meh but acceptable as it's just another jacket/agent appearance, nothing great but not horrible either.

Trooper...is like something out of mass effect, which would normally be a good thing but...ah whatever, it looks fine enough, they're troopers, they're supposed to look generic.

Personally I'm not that impressed with these gears, one the appearances needs work in the variety department, and second, these are likely to be pvp/raid gears rather than gears you can get elsewhere(exploration, crafting, even less likely from flashpoints). So they're grind gears, and BioWare has stated in a roundabout way before that there's more or less only 4-5 new sets of gears in 1.2, so while we're seeing some from this video, it's likely to be the theme for the entire update. I hope I'm wrong about this, I really do, but the lack of effort on imperial designs really bums me out.

So what's the male version of the Consular/Shadow gear though? @_@

This will probably stand, as my only real gripe, towards this game.

The Jedi male Consular gear better damn well be as 'sexy' as the female version. >_>

Actually, the men could stand to have some sexy gear over all. Come on Bioware....did you forget that a variety of folks, play your games?

Edited by JediElf

Honestly, my biggest problem with the Smuggler armor shown (other then the hat... that's too easy to pick on) is that it doesn't say "Smuggler" to me.)

You do have a valid point. It does not looks like iconic at all either.

Edited by Deewe

Most of them look pretty ok to me..the Inquisitor atleastif your a female and you like being as evil and cruel looking as possible looks awsome....

The worst armor ever though is definitely the Smuggler. Thank god they finally gave bounty hunters something decent. I've hated all the bounty hunter end game gear as far as the helmets since day one. I mean really why does a bounty hunter tank have the ugglest damn helmet from pvp? and the pve versions while not bug eye'd are still ugly.

Still just ridiculous looking set gear espically sith warrior. Disappointng mmos have degenerated to cookie cutter looks and zero lore attached to gear. Done with mmos now that corperate america has mcdonaldized them. Just ridiculous

Honestly, I love the new gear looks. Especially the Republic. This is how it should be done. Boots aren't shares across the classes and the sets look so much more epic and fitting.

The community spoke and they listened. Hopefully we continue to see such vast improvements.

HD PICTURES: http://www.darthhater.com/gallery/game-update-1-2-trailer-framegrabs

I like the new Knight armor except...please tell me that isn't a bare midriff I see lol.

Ugly looking smuggler, agent looks odd as well, though it is only seen briefly and from a distance. The rest seem passable. Any variety added is good, eventually there should be enough gears so you could mix and match to make a combo that is to your liking.

Ah, I see they are working hard to keep the Smuggler class's popularity rating steady. Somehow those capes of ours are looking a lot better now! :eek: It is like they can't wrap their brains around the concept that it is ok to make high level armor that has a simple design without a bunch of needless do-dads attached to it everywhere.

The Consular gear looks great though IMHO, a little sexy but still tasteful. It had better be equally sexy on my male Consular though or gosh darn it, when they release the male slave costume then I will put him in that just to annoy whoever it is that is a prude about male skin being shown! :p

Edited by Gwena