NEW GEAR PICS: Out With the Old

Starglide

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You all know that they are adding more than 4 sets of gear for the republic and empire in 1.2 right? It's not just limited to those screenshots from the trailer.

You all do understand, yes?

:D

yeah right, and there will be differences just in colors. wanna bet?

It's personal preference to a point. Nobody could possibly think that smuggler helmet looks good. Not the players, not the artist that drew it. No-one goes "you know what a han solo based character needs? a hammerhead shark on its head"

But nothing shouts '******' quite so much as wearing a hammerhead shark...

I still hate the Inquisitor stuff.

Seriously, their armor just gets worse and worse the higher level you go. I'm crawling back into my Black Talon stuff that I've worn for 40 levels and not coming out until there's some actual decent Sorcerer robes and/or armor. Not whatever that.... revolting mutant dressed in rags and tatters thing is.

I am impressed that you managed to summarise the nature of the Sith Inquisitor so succinctly.

And I am equally impressed by the artist for expressing it in the clothes design.

:)

yeah right, and there will be differences just in colors. wanna bet?

They are adding like 4 pages worth of stuff to professions alone.

New schematics = different sets of gear.

Also new OPs and FPs. More gear.

More world drop gear = more sets of gear.

New social gear = more sets of gear.

I doubt most of these will be the exact same patterns as what was in those screenshots.

I think we will have a nice variety to chose from.

Hmm, the only awesome design about my smuggler was the Hat. Now they have not only removed that with the up coming gear, but managed to flip it 180 degrees and make it the worst part of the set.

What the hell are the artists thinking? Hek, the armour its self looks like it should be worn by some futuristic race car driver, who teaches english on the side... seriously leather patches on the arms, am I having a seizure... where am I..

Edited by Tgpo

Well apart the helmet the smuggler's gear isn't that bad. Don't read I said it was good or felt epic though. It's just fair. Especially what's the yellow bandage on the right leg? And the right arm and shoulder gear cheap too, especially the leather pad covering the hand.

Improvements:

• Ditch the helm
  • Remove the right leg yellow bandage (makes the set looks cheap)
  • Change the left shoulder pad texture with similar grey color like the pant (to recall the pattern and make it look a matching set). Certainly not leather texture.
  • Either make the left arm totally sleeveless or put some clothe on the uncovered arm part, yellow.
  • Remove the leather ovoid left bracer
  • On the right arm (if I see well) delete the huge metallic angular protuberance. (Looks silly)
  • Now highlight some edges of the gear with orange lines

On the Sith consular

The whole look is thin clothing and you have yeti boots.

Doesn't fit.

• Makes boots thinner and certainly remove the white bandages on top of them.
  • Up tp knees light brown leather boots should do the trick. (A bit like the smuggler's ones, higher but without the metallic parts).
  • Either remove the hood or cover the right shoulder. Otherwise it looks like the hood stands on half of the cloth and the cloth is unbalanced.
  • For the skirt either shrink the two front "horns like?" or make the skirt longer on the side. They are overdone and make the cloth look like the tailors had not enough cloth, so cut the corners.

BTW this one looks like an AoC character.

The Jedi Knight isn't that bad.

The boots are a tad overdone though. Slightly shrink the edges

For the shoulder pads, you should consider making 2 chests out of this

While some players will like the shoulder flaps some will find them silly and totally unrealistic (I do).

So same chest with way smaller shoulder pads option would be appreciated.

BTW not very fond of your habit of having the waist flap either.

For the Trooper,

Whole look is Ok

Maybe a bit too close to BH though.

Not very fond of having a flying saucer on the shoulder pads.

Edited by Deewe

Well apart the helmet the smuggler's gear isn't that bad. Don't read I said it was good or felt epic though. It's just fair. Especially what's the yellow bandage on the right leg? And the right arm and shoulder gear cheap too, especially the leather pad covering the hand.

Improvements:

• Ditch the helm
  • Change the left shoulder pad texture with similar grey color like the pant (to recall the pattern and make it look a matching set). Certainly not leather texture.
  • Either make the left arm totally sleeveless or put some clothe on the uncovered arm part, yellow.
  • On the right arm (if I see well) delete the huge metallic angular protuberance. (Looks silly)

I have an idea, scrap it and start again. Honestly it looks terrible, the helm is the icing on the craptastic cake. I've been quite fair about this game so far, but this is pushing me over the edge.

The thing is, it's not hard.

Has nobody at Bioware design HQ ever even heard of the concept of simplicity?

We don't need more weird stuff with weird pieces sticking out everywhere, we just need simple, clean, elegant stuff in a range of frickin colors so it's easy to achieve a cohesive look.

I'm praying that the recoloring function works well, maybe that will slightly alleviate the fact that as an armormech I can make one set of gear in one color after buying everything the crew trainer has and after haunting GTN multiple times a day.

Honestly, I love the new gear looks. Especially the Republic. This is how it should be done. Boots aren't shares across the classes and the sets look so much more epic and fitting.

The community spoke and they listened. Hopefully we continue to see such vast improvements.

HD PICTURES: http://www.darthhater.com/gallery/game-update-1-2-trailer-framegrabs

Oh yeah very Star Wars... *sarcasm*

The Jedi looks a lot better, the Warrior's a joke, what's that? Kamen Rider?!?!

They need to stop with the wow gear and make some down to ear... the galaxy items imo.

Edited by Lightmaguz

Oh yeah very Star Wars... *sarcasm*

The Jedi looks a lot better, the Warrior's a joke, what's that? Kamen Rider?!?!

They need to stop with the wow gear and make some down to ear... the galaxy items imo.

I had to quickly google that, looks like we have found out where the power rangers got their suit designs from haha.

Improvements:

• Ditch the helm

On the Sith consular

The whole look is thin clothing and you have yeti boots.

Doesn't fit.

• Makes boots thinner and certainly remove the white bandages on top of them.
  • Up tp knees light brown leather boots should do the trick. (A bit like the smuggler's ones, higher but without the metallic parts).
  • Either remove the hood or cover the right shoulder. Otherwise it looks like the hood stands on half of the cloth and the cloth is unbalanced.
  • For the skirt either shrink the two front "horns like?" or make the skirt longer on the side. They are overdone and make the cloth look like the tailors had not enough cloth, so cut the corners.

BTW this one looks like an AoC character.

The Jedi Knight isn't that bad.

The boots are a tad overdone though. Slightly shrink the edges

For the shoulder pads, you should consider making 2 chests out of this

While some players will like the shoulder flaps some will find them silly and totally unrealistic (I do).

So same chest with way smaller shoulder pads option would be appreciated.

BTW not very fond of your habit of having the waist flap either.

For the Trooper,

Whole look is Ok

Maybe a bit too close to BH though.

Not very fond of having a flying saucer on the shoulder pads.

You realize that something like which set looks best is just matter of taste and can't be argued. I happen to like the smuggler set a lot and don't want to see it changed.

I notice they have done nothing to fix the green lightsaber blade though. It's still craptastic looking.

The new outfits have some definite possibilities however, that smuggler helmet is a definite No Go.

Ugh, I just can't stand those green sabers. The most fun thing about soloing as republic is I don't really have to worry too much about running into other players using those horrible looking green sabers.

You realize that something like which set looks best is just matter of taste and can't be argued. I happen to like the smuggler set a lot and don't want to see it changed.

Normally I'd be on board with this logic all the way.

What's you're favourite genre of music? Hip Hop?, seriously? I can't stand it but I can respect that ... i guess...

You prefer beer, whine or spirits? What's that you don't drink? Are you a Mormon? Fair enough i guess...

But stating that the smuggler gear design is a "matter of taste"!?!? We'll sir, you have thrown caution to the wind and have waved all rights to using the phrase "matter of taste" .... Derek Zoolander will be around your house in a few mins to arrest you for crimes against fashion.

Seriously Bioware, just put a little more thought into the designs, please :p

On the contrary, there is one thing more ******: the Bounty Hunter will soon be wearing a Mako shark.

Thank you, everybody! I'll be here all week.

Honestly, my biggest problem with the Smuggler armor shown (other then the hat... that's too easy to pick on) is that it doesn't say "Smuggler" to me.

Okay, sure, not every Smuggler is going to have a longcoat and a wide-brimmed hat. But I just can't see ever wearing such bright colors. We're Smugglers. Smoke-filled cantinas. Back alley deals to get goods past blockades. The wrong side of the law, even if it is for a good cause.

None of that says yellow tunic and white trousers to me. Sure, Han Solo had a white (or off-white) shirt, but he wore a dark vest over it. He wasn't dripping with accessories, and he sure wasn't wearing something with handles on his head. (Okay, sorry, put in a dig at the headpiece anyway.)

Okay, sure, not every Smuggler is going to have a longcoat and a wide-brimmed hat. But I just can't see ever wearing such bright colors. We're Smugglers. Smoke-filled cantinas. Back alley deals to get goods past blockades. The wrong side of the law, even if it is for a good cause.

Yeah, there are some decent designs in the game already. As it happens, I'm very fond of the one set I can craft with armormech at lvl 31 or so, with the cape and the stylish jacket. All I'd need to be happy was that - in black, with nice accents, and a "cowboy" style hat also in black.

Right now I have green, and no hat. Once I get the hat, it will almost certainly not match the green, even assuming I'd want a green hat - I don't, I want a whole black or dark grey set.

Can't wait for 1.2. At least something is happening with colors... maybe it will be good.

Well.. the Smugglers hat sides are possibly handgrips... prepare to be screwed in the face more in 2012.

Smugglers will be anyway not in Ops or Rated Warzones so... why design hypothetical gear with any care, isnt as if more than 2-3 people gamewide will ever wear it.

No Really, i LIKE the Trooper + Consular sets, but smuggler? As Someone said... is THIS how they envision the Han-Solo class? Looks more like a Paramedic.. Future only as Sawbones?

Really, there are so many clothes Designs in the Movies + Kotor.. why build something that misses only glowy shoulder designs, to gives hilarious WoW - Designs a run for money?

Edited by Kheldras