Color Wars!

Asturias

You obviously have not read MY post so I will make it big too!

For millennia, the Jedi Order lit lightsabers in every color and hue imaginable. However, following the Battle of Ruusan, the hues of most available crystals had been limited to either blue or green. Lightsaber color crystals could also be compressed, resulting in a pulsating blade, or they could be unstable, resulting in a core which swirled and sparkled.

The Battle of Ruusan was 1000BBY... We are over 2500 years before that. Therefore, color restrictions have no place and I am glad they are gone.

After the Battle of Ruusan, Jedi had to use Ilum as our source for crystals. We are 2500 years before that. At this point Jedi use any crystal color we want! Your argument is invalid.

/end stupid and pointless internet yelling

He tends to ignore anything that disproves his point. Really a moot point anyways since they have no intentions to bring back restrictions...

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You obviously have not read MY post so I will make it big too!

For millennia, the Jedi Order lit lightsabers in every color and hue imaginable. However, following the Battle of Ruusan, the hues of most available crystals had been limited to either blue or green. Lightsaber color crystals could also be compressed, resulting in a pulsating blade, or they could be unstable, resulting in a core which swirled and sparkled.

The Battle of Ruusan was 1000BBY... We are over 2500 years before that. Therefore, color restrictions have no place and I am glad they are gone.

After the Battle of Ruusan, Jedi had to use Ilum as our source for crystals. We are 2500 years before that. At this point Jedi use any crystal color we want! Your argument is invalid.

/end stupid and pointless internet yelling

Actually, this game takes place roughly 2500 BBY, so it's 1500 years difference til the Battle of Ruusan. Just sayin.

Actually, this game takes place roughly 2500 BBY...

The Treaty of Courscant was signed on 3,653 BBY. If what you said was true, that means this game takes place 1,100 years After that event.

The Old Republic takes place at around 3,541 BBY

Edited by VanorDM

The Treaty of Courscant was signed on 3,653 BBY. If what you said was true, that means this game takes place 1,100 years After that event.

The Old Republic takes place at around 3,541 BBY

Sorry, brain malfunction. I'd been doing some RL calculations for my Net+ exam. You are correct. For some reason I thought it took place 1000 years after. :)

I dont know about all that stuff you wrote, but yea it is abit annoying that you hardly see any jedis with blue or green sabers, i know someone will come in here and tell us that lorewise jedis and siths can use any color they want, but as you say, green/blue for jedi and red for sith is iconic, and tbh what the vast majority uses.

With the advent of the removal of color restrictions and the introduction of the fleet crystal vendor, I mostly have used colors that reflect the character: My main uses a white lightsaber just because it looks boss, whereas my sorc alt uses green because sickness and disease of the madness spec.

My girlfriend uses a purple saber on her sorc healer because she just loves purple, and is willing to sacrifice the stats of the champion/battlemaster pvp sabers just because she loves purple that much (incidentally, if they ever release a purple with black core color crystal I'm pretty sure she'd kill anything and everything to get it).

The color restrictions don't make sense anyway. As the op states in his opening two paragraphs: use of red amongst the Jedi is frowned upon, and occasionally probably a little /facepalm'd too. It is not antithetical in the strictest sense. There ARE natural crystals that give red blades, anyway. The synthetic Sith-forged ones just happen to be red (and obviously GL chose red because red is the color of passion, which the Sith value so highly). And it's not like synthesized crystals only come in red.

My opinion is that every player should choose freely. The color of your saber only say's something about the person using it. Someone might have a favorite color or uses a color that represents their light or dark side. It makes the story and character personal to the individual and makes for a good player experience.

My opinion is that every player should choose freely. The color of your saber only say's something about the person using it.

Indeed. Every time I see a black & something crystal in a light saber it tells me that the person using it doesn't care if their weapon actually resembles a light saber or not. :)

It's their choice, even if I don't care for it, and the developers made it possible, so more power to them.

He tends to ignore anything that disproves his point. Really a moot point anyways since they have no intentions to bring back restrictions...

Lol, really! You guys dont know jack and i do understand its a video game but its game revolving around story and immersion. I got it some jedi had colored crystals but your points are noted but none of you are looking at the bigger picture. You know why Star Wars games go into decline its because the true fan base likes consistency and i have given it. i can see most of you dont know the lore but you claim you do so go ahead play with your pink saber....

Edited by Asturias

Lol, really! You guys dont know jack and i do understand its a video game but its game revolving around story and immersion. I got it some jedi had colored crystals but your points are noted but none of you are looking at the bigger picture. You know why Star Wars games go into decline its because the true fan base likes consistency and i have given it. i can see most of you dont know the lore but you claim you do so go ahead play with your pink saber....

Yes but you are stating a personal opinion. I get the immersion aspect but your immersion varies from mine. Just because you feel they should be typical colors from the original 3 does not mean other people will. Anyone from the clones era will have a different opinion. Anyone who grew up with the E1-3 are going to have a different view.

I get you want the look and feel of original Star Wars. As a matter of fact I only consider the original 3 in there original form to be any good. I hate all new editions to the original 3. But to me the thing that is iconic for Star Wars is the saber itself not the color and I do think blasters are important too. You need both to make it feel like Star Wars.

I do think you should go to the suggestion box and ask for an option to turn other player sabers to "traditional" colors. I think that is a perfect compromise. It would allow my side to have our unique and interesting colors yet allow you to see what you want! I think we can agree this is the best win/win scenario for everyone involved. It might not be a high priority but at least it could hit their list!

Edit: Hell if you post on the suggestion box link it here and I will even sign it! That way everyone can have their immersion and not ruin it for someone else.

Edited by Lord_Scythe

Overall, it sounds like the only leg to stand on would be that the Republic should be restricted from using colors that don't occur naturally. Call me crazy, but I don't think that'd be a very good move, considering there are already issues with populations favoring Empire overall.

No there aren't. Ratio is 58% Imperial, 42% Republic. I'd hardly call that an issue.

I'm going to copy/paste a post of mine from yesterday in a similar thread in General Discussion:

"Here's the thing, for the '<this thing breaks lore if everyone has it!>' crowd: Every character class can be seen as one person. Each class. There is, effectively, one Cipher Nine, one Barsen'thor, etc. Each class is a singular character, which is how there are able to be two Dark Council members who are players instead of 200,000 Dark Council members who are players.

So even if every single Sentinel used red lightsabers, it would only count as 'the' Sentinel using a red saber - a single person which can easily be an exception to the rule without being lore-breaking."

Much easier than, say, writing something with the exact same sentiment twice.

There is a reason why this game was set for FAR in the past and Legacy was set for far in the future. So that there is a big enough time span that they can make the argument "Well who knows what has happened since then". Maybe During the events of SWTOR rare crystal colours were slightly more common, one could say maybe they their main sources was destroyed during or after the war. Things do change over the course of thousands of years. Also if you remember KOTOR, you do find natural red crystals, they are not all syth. Finally the Jedi would not punish someone for their choice in lightsaber color, and if your Sith is questioned for wielding whatever color lightsaber they want.... well they are a sith...

When there is very little information about the era you can make whatever assumptions you want, there is no way to say your wrong.

Edited by leaderfreak

There is nothing wrong with having red lightsaber jedis and blue/green lightsabers for Sith. For example, if the color blue were very special to me, and I was an inquisitor, maybe I would rather shoot lightning at people instead of throwing rocks at people so I would not want to reroll. I don't think the "color" of your lightsaber determines if you are "good" or "bad". Don't make SW go to "He has a red lightsaber kill him!". Edited by HurrImADurr

You know up until recently, I was rather mild in my attitude toward lightsaber colours. It bothered me, I didn't like it too much but I could bear the idea o few sith wearing blue lightsabers or jedis with reds, but since this weekend I'm really starting to have issues with this free for all colour crystals...

I was doing heroics and flashpoint and in a certain point ALL of my party members, 2 sith sorcerors, and a Sith Marauder were waving blue lightsabers around (Marauder even had both of his lightsabers in blu no less)... It felt like i was doing quests with the freakin Jedi coucil!!! ... That is really kind of ******...Really, I mean really!? Some restriction is necessary either based on aligment or faction, I don't care I just don't want to have entire Sith party with blue lightsabers...

Such a long thread and it's probably already been mentioned, but Mace Windu turned his back on convention and chose a Purple lightsabre because (ignoring that Samuel L. Jackson liked the colour and wanted his Jedi to stand out from the others) he was given it as a gift and it matched the sabre he searched for in his vision, but even he owned and occasionally used a blue lightsabre.

In the Old Republic days when the colour crystals were widespread, a Jedi/Sith could choose their colours, but Jedis would tend towards the calmer/peaceful colours of green/blue and Sith would gravitate towards the 'angry' colour of red/purple.

Doesn't bother me as a player who uses what colour, but it does make it easier to identify Republic and Sith Force users in PVP :)

You know up until recently, I was rather mild in my attitude toward lightsaber colours. It bothered me, I didn't like it too much but I could bear the idea o few sith wearing blue lightsabers or jedis with reds, but since this weekend I'm really starting to have issues with this free for all colour crystals...

I was doing heroics and flashpoint and in a certain point ALL of my party members, 2 sith sorcerors, and a Sith Marauder were waving blue lightsabers around (Marauder even had both of his lightsabers in blu no less)... It felt like i was doing quests with the freakin Jedi coucil!!! ... That is really kind of ******...Really, I mean really!? Some restriction is necessary either based on aligment or faction, I don't care I just don't want to have entire Sith party with blue lightsabers...

You obviously did not read the entire thread.

The OP has proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that exceptions exist in the movies and EU. If restrictions in the SW universe existed there would be no exceptions.

Yes the OP explains why there are exceptions but that does not matter. Using conjecture or guesswork as to why it was done does not matter. The important fact is that there are exceptions for exceptional people.

As it has been pointed out in several post in this universe we are the exceptional people. We are the exceptions to the rules. All three of my Sith are constantly told how special they are. We are above traditions and can either embrace or reject them.

The OP is stating opinion and he is trying to explain away facts to do it. Facts are facts, they cannot be explained a way.

I get that to him it does not feel like Star Wars. However you cannot restrict something when it is proven that no such restrictions exist in the lore.

Other players have already suggested a compromise that would make both camps happy. I even mention that compromise in my last post. Will let you go back and read it!

I agree 100% with the OP about color crystals and their restrictions to either light or dark. BW needs to stop trying to see how far they can bend the SW canon just to make a quick buck to satisfy whining non-SW fans.

If said players don't like Star Wars lore, then they should just deal with it or play a non-Star Wars game.

This game is a business...your suggestion is not good business.

In order for a Massive Multiplayer Online game to be successful it needs to attract ...thats right...masses.

Colour is personal preference and shouldn't be dictated by alignment.

Well, well, well...interesting development here.

In the season finale of SW:TCW last week, no less a figure than Obi Wan actually used a saber borrowed from Asajj Ventress with a (GASP!) red blade! Sure, he quipped "Red isn't my color!" and switched to his blue-bladed saber as soon as he recovered it. But he didn't break out in hives, start drooling uncontrollably, or muttering to himself incoherently.

Oh sure, the diehard folks are going to quickly respond, "Clone Wars isn't canon!" (As if they are the repository and final arbiter on what is and isn't canon.) Lucasarts puts its stamp on TCW, and George's daughter had a direct hand in a big chunk of the content of last season (and I hear, quite a bit of next season as well.) It's probably as close to canon as you can get.

OK, sure...the Jedi Council probably isn't going to order a big shipment of red crystals to hand out at the staff picnic next week. That's beside the point. The choice of color for one's blade is more cultural than anything inherent or empirical.

In the season finale of SW:TCW last week, no less a figure than Obi Wan actually used a saber borrowed from Asajj Ventress with a (GASP!) red blade! Sure, he quipped "Red isn't my color!" and switched to his blue-bladed saber as soon as he recovered it. But he didn't break out in hives, start drooling uncontrollably, or muttering to himself incoherently.

Oh sure, the diehard folks are going to quickly respond, "Clone Wars isn't canon!" (As if they are the repository and final arbiter on what is and isn't canon.) Lucasarts puts its stamp on TCW, and George's daughter had a direct hand in a big chunk of the content of last season (and I hear, quite a bit of next season as well.) It's probably as close to canon as you can get.

OK, sure...the Jedi Council probably isn't going to order a big shipment of red crystals to hand out at the staff picnic next week. That's beside the point. The choice of color for one's blade is more cultural than anything inherent or empirical.

I just had to lol there. Especially the part about drooling, muttering, and breaking out in hives. :D

you think they added that to the cartoon specifically because of this game? a part of me tends to think so.

you think they added that to the cartoon specifically because of this game? a part of me tends to think so.

Ok, once more with feeling.... Red and violet have been the TRADITIONAL colors of the Sith lightsabers, just as blue and green have been the TRADITIONAL colors of the Jedi lightsabers. Now, does that mean that EVERY lightsaber has to be blue or green for a Jedi or red or violet for a Sith? No. It does not.

I'll give you two examples of G-Canon lightsabers being different colors. Mace Windu and Plo Koon. Violet and orange, respectively. Argue against George all ya want. It's HIS IP. He is God in the Star Wars universe. What he says goes. As much as I dislike some of the things he's done, his Canon is Law.

Ok, once more with feeling.... Red and violet have been the TRADITIONAL colors of the Sith lightsabers, just as blue and green have been the TRADITIONAL colors of the Jedi lightsabers. Now, does that mean that EVERY lightsaber has to be blue or green for a Jedi or red or violet for a Sith? No. It does not.

I'll give you two examples of G-Canon lightsabers being different colors. Mace Windu and Plo Koon. Violet and orange, respectively. Argue against George all ya want. It's HIS IP. He is God in the Star Wars universe. What he says goes. As much as I dislike some of the things he's done, his Canon is Law.

Dude I am with you on this. I know canon....i read the books. I remember Plo-Koon in that playstation one game jedi power battles and adi gali (spelling) in that same game. I am just saying I bet they put that in the final episode of TCW because of this game and its forums. It just seems a bit to coincidental to me. I am a pureblood warrior in-game who uses blue blades, on an RP server. Whenever someone asks me in RP "whats up with the blue blades" depending on my mood I either say "because I study Exar Kun" or "because I feel like it.". Since all crystals in this game are natural and not synth....it makes since that we can use any color we so desire.

Dude I am with you on this. I know canon....i read the books. I remember Plo-Koon in that playstation one game jedi power battles and adi gali (spelling) in that same game. I am just saying I bet they put that in the final episode of TCW because of this game and its forums. It just seems a bit to coincidental to me. I am a pureblood warrior in-game who uses blue blades, on an RP server. Whenever someone asks me in RP "whats up with the blue blades" depending on my mood I either say "because I study Exar Kun" or "because I feel like it.". Since all crystals in this game are natural and not synth....it makes since that we can use any color we so desire.

Could be. Glad to see another who isn't boxed in by what some think "should be". :D