Color Wars!

Asturias

I don't know what everyone considers "canon," but if you consider the Clone Wars animated series to be part of it, (and I assure you Lucas does) then Ahsoka Tano has a yellow off hand saber, meaning uniformity isn't important.

If you consider anything about Revan's story to be canon, well he used a purple saber until he turned dark. He went back to it later as well. Leia's saber was red, and she was light side. They're whatever color you want them to be.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only colors that really bother me are the black core sabers other than that I don't care.

Yeah, I don't like them either. And when I see them it really detracts from the Star Wars look & feel we're all accustomed to with light sabers being bright.

After all they're "LIGHT" sabers, not dark/void/black sabers. The yellow/black is the worst.

In protest I'm running with a 2.5m credit white crystal on my main and a 1m credit white crystal on my companion. :)

Edited by cipher_nemo

I personally think that the best way to fix things is make all the colors besides red, green and blue super rare and very hard-to-get. Maybe even make them limited edition.

I'm a bit tired of seeing this rainbow fest and am very thankful BW has removed alignment restrictions on some crystals. My light Jugg can finally have a red saber.

I personally think that the best way to fix things is make all the colors besides red, green and blue super rare and very hard-to-get. Maybe even make them limited edition.

I'm a bit tired of seeing this rainbow fest and am very thankful BW has removed alignment restrictions on some crystals. My light Jugg can finally have a red saber.

This exactly what they need to do and agree 100%...

I am a traditionalist. So playing a Jedi I would only use certain color crystals.

Though I don't think that should hinder someone else from being able to play their character how they wish. Saber/Blaster color should be up to the player. Allowing everyone to choose is a good thing. It allows people to put that finishing touch on their character.

I don't know what everyone considers "canon," but if you consider the Clone Wars animated series to be part of it, (and I assure you Lucas does) then Ahsoka Tano has a yellow off hand saber, meaning uniformity isn't important.

If you consider anything about Revan's story to be canon, well he used a purple saber until he turned dark. He went back to it later as well. Leia's saber was red, and she was light side. They're whatever color you want them to be.

I had forgotten that Ahsoka uses a yellow light saber.

Crystal Caves of Ilum

Discovered by scouts for the Jedi Order circa 22,800 BBY, the frozen world of Ilum was discovered to hold a number of hidden treasure troves where crystals grew naturally, These crystals, prized for their usage as a focus lens in the Order's symbolic weapon, the lightsaber, encouraged the Jedi to found a Temple and training ground on the world as they mined the rare kathracite, mephite, and pontite crystals.

The vast majority of lightsaber crystals from Ilum were green or blue in color, but all of them had the special properties that made them ideal for a Jedi's weapon. When induced by resonant frequencies, the crystals emitted powerful bursts of light, and further components of a lightsaber harnessed this power into a rod-like beam.

Adegan Crystals from Ilum (Three type known)

Kathracite: was the most common form of Adegan crystal, followed by relacite and danite. These crystals didn't focus energy as well as their rarer cousins, and thus were usually reserved for use in training sabers.

Mephite: was a typical Adegan crystal used by the Jedi.

Pontite: was the rarest and most powerful type of Adegan crystal. Nearly impossible to find, it resonated with a powerful aura that cooled both skin and tempers.

SWTOR

During the Great Galactic War between the resurgent Sith Empire and the Republic the caves were taken by the Empire in a swift battle. As the Empire began to garrison troops on the world the Temple was made inaccessible and, due to thinly-stretched resources, the Order was unable to reclaim it for over a decade. Following the destruction of the Sith Empire the Order restored their Temple on Ilum and once more maintained a small group of Jedi on the planet to protect their coveted crystals.

The Empire doesn't need the caves because they make Synthetic Crytals.

Mace Windu

Hurrikaine crystals were deep blue to violet lightsaber crystals from the planet Hurikane admired for their unparalleled beauty. When used in lightsabers, they created blades that were very good at penetrating defenses.

In exchange for helping the stone-encrusted native species, Windu was given a handful of the rare violet Hurrikane crystals, which he used to create his unique electrum lightsaber.

Hurikane

Hurikane was a planet located in Wild Space. It was inhabited by a race of sentient beings made of stone and purple Hurrikaine crystals, who were almost insectoid in appearance.

If anything the resurgent Sith Empire would have access to these for the simple fact they came from deep space but rarity is rare and they always have been

As others have already said..your post says : The Vast Majority of Cyrstals in Illum were Green or Blue..That doesn't mean that Illum didn't produce red cyrstals or cyrstals of other colors..it just means that it didn't make as many of them. Thefore my original statment about Illum still stands as true.

Not going to happen as you imbalance Artifice! Unfortunately any change has to consider balance of the game as a whole. Making stuff rare because some people don't like something will ruin the game in other areas.

It has been stated several times That NPC counts as part of the world and they far outnumber PCs. This will by extension make players with other colors rare enough.

Arguing against other color crystals than red, blue or green is pointless. OP has shown exceptions in his posts meaning if there are exceptions then there cannot be restrictions. If crystals had restrictions there would be ZERO exceptions.

Using immersion as a defense is a personal opinion. I am sure there will be many smuggler players ticked they can't have red blaster bolts if restrictions end up in play. I am sure some of them may even care that they do not feel immersed. Restricting crystals does not just affect sabers it also affects blasters. Sure some people have said who cares about blasters because this is about sabers. Picking and choosing what is iconic in Star Wars is another personal opinion. This is another one of those big picture issues that upset other areas of the game than just lightsabers. Han Solo and his blaster are just as iconic as Luke and his lightsaber!

This is an MMO you have to consider the balance of the game in every area when considering changes of this magnitude.

Edited by Lord_Scythe

Not going to happen as you imbalance Artifice! Unfortunately any change has to consider balance of the game as a whole. Making stuff rare because some people don't like something will ruin the game in other areas.

It has been stated several times That NPC counts as part of the world and they far outnumber PCs. This will by extension make players with other colors rare enough.

Arguing against other color crystals than red, blue or green is pointless. OP has shown exceptions in his posts meaning if there are exceptions then there cannot be restrictions. If crystals had restrictions there would be ZERO exceptions.

Using immersion as a defense is a personal opinion. I am sure there will be many smuggler players ticked they can't have red blaster bolts if restrictions end up in play. I am sure some of them may even care that they do not feel immersed. Restricting crystals does not just affect sabers it also affects blasters. Sure some people have said who cares about blasters because this is about sabers. Picking and choosing what is iconic in Star Wars is another personal opinion. This is another one of those big picture issues that upset other areas of the game than just lightsabers. Han Solo and his blaster are just as iconic as Luke and his lightsaber!

This is an MMO you have to consider the balance of the game in every area when considering changes of this magnitude.

BS, you do not ruin Artifice because of the stat changes in the crew skill as you level up. Matter of fact it would be a enhancement to the crew skill for the simple fact they could be the most thought out if the crystals were rare. Who the heck really takes artifice in the first place??? You can get pretty much what ever color you want vendor wise and through flash points.

Like I said, if BioWARE wants players to play and have consistency for them to strive for soemthing, than they don't need to look far, its staring right in front of them. Small cosmetics drives the economy example: look at how all of you are so guarded for unrestricted colors.:p

I'll make it big!

Oh and I can see that you didn't read my post. I stated my opinion on blasters as well. I have rebutteled every claim with a valid answer but all I hear is.................... Nothing! Red Crystals and any other crystal from Ilum other than green/blue are rare. I don't make this crap up its in the EU which most of you claim your argument but facts are facts. Ilum is the stomping grounds for all Jedi ready to make there pilgrimage to construct there saber. Synthetic are imbued by the dark side of the user who makes them that is why they turn red. There is a difference between Synthetic crystals and home earth grown cave dwelling crystals.

Edited by Asturias

BS, you do not ruin Artifice because of the stat changes in the crew skill as you level up. Matter of fact it would be a enhancement to the crew skill for the simple fact they could be the most thought out if the crystals were rare. Who the heck really takes artifice in the first place??? You can get pretty much what ever color you want vendor wise and through flash points.

Like I said, if BioWARE wants players to play and have consistency for them to strive for soemthing, than they don't need to look far, its staring right in front of them. Small cosmetics drives the economy example: look at how all of you are so guarded for unrestricted colors.:p

I'll make it big!

Oh and I can see that you didn't read my post. I stated my opinion on blasters as well. I have rebutteled every claim with a valid answer but all I hear is.................... Nothing! Red Crystals and any other crystal from Ilum other than green/blue are rare. I don't make this crap up its in the EU which most of you claim your argument but facts are facts. Ilum is the stomping grounds for all Jedi ready to make there pilgrimage to construct there saber. Synthetic are imbued by the dark side of the user who makes them that is why they turn red. There is a difference between Synthetic crystals and home earth grown cave dwelling crystals.

There are 47 pages of replies here, some reasonable, some inflammatory, so I apologize if I missed your response to the blasters issue. For me, red blaster fire is very iconic to Star Wars, especially for fans of non-jedi characters. What was your answer to that issue?

There are 47 pages of replies here, some reasonable, some inflammatory, so I apologize if I missed your response to the blasters issue. For me, red blaster fire is very iconic to Star Wars, especially for fans of non-jedi characters. What was your answer to that issue?

No worries and no need to apologize, your argument is valid and I see that people want to have fun but I see more that could be added to the over all good of the game.

From what I read in books crystals have nothing to do with blasters its more of a power cell generator that you recharge.

Most personal blasters have two kinds of ammunition: a gas cartridge and a power cell. Less powerful weapons, like the Drearian Defense Conglomerate Defender sporting blaster pistol, rely largely on the power cell and use only a small quantity of gas, while very powerful weapons, like the illegal Tenloss DX-2 disruptor pistol, use much larger amounts of gas. Still other weapons, namely those dating from earlier times, employ a kind of removable power cell/cartridge which supplies enough energy (though at weaker levels) to make total expenditure seldom.

I don't understand how BioWARE messed this up with LucasARTS right there to help them. All I am asking for is consistency to there own lore.

Edited by Asturias

No worries and no need to apologize, your argument is valid and I see that people want to have fun but I see more that could be added to the over all good of the game.

From what I read in books crystals have nothing to do with blasters its more of a power cell generator that you recharge.

Most personal blasters have two kinds of ammunition: a gas cartridge and a power cell. Less powerful weapons, like the Drearian Defense Conglomerate Defender sporting blaster pistol, rely largely on the power cell and use only a small quantity of gas, while very powerful weapons, like the illegal Tenloss DX-2 disruptor pistol, use much larger amounts of gas. Still other weapons, namely those dating from earlier times, employ a kind of removable power cell/cartridge which supplies enough energy (though at weaker levels) to make total expenditure seldom.

I don't understand how BioWARE messed this up with LucasARTS right there to help them. All I am asking for is consistency to there own lore.

I don't agree with you on the lightsaber color issue (in regards to this game). I agree that blue/green are traditional for jedi and red is traditional for sith. I disagree that a lack of restrictions will break lore, as the majority of force users (including NPCs) will still use the traditional color. I know I will and almost every friend I have that's playing.

However, I 100% agree with you that making color crystals part of the blaster mechanic was a huge mistake.

Unfortunately, from a game mechanics perspective, it makes perfect sense having color crystals work for both, and changing that now would probably be more trouble that its worth.

And still, all the Lore arguments involving lightsabers are from a timeframe two thousand years in the future. At this point in time, Ilum is NOT the primary source of color crystals, Jedi have access to many different sources for lightsaber crystals, and use ligthsabers of many different colors.

And even if the current Lore DID support color restrictions, it would only support FACTIONAL ones, not ALIGNMENT ones. There is nothing preventing the activation of any color lightsaber by any kind of Force user, regardless of Dark Side affiliation. And EVEN THEN, the possibility of obtaining and using any color exists, if perhaps a bit more difficult. In this time of war, there is no reason to assume that Jedi have not captured hundreds of Sith red crystals, and vice versa.

On every front, the Lore argument for restrictions fails.

And that's without even bringing the non-Lore arguments for player appreciation.

as the majority of force users (including NPCs) will still use the traditional color. I know I will and almost every friend I have that's playing.

This is not true. Not on my server, at least. I stick with a red color and I'm in the minority. Pretty much everyone I see have cyan/magenta sabers. Oh and there is a lot of those ugly black-base blades. I can't stand them.

There is nothing preventing the activation of any color lightsaber by any kind of Force user

Special light-side crystals that don't work for dark siders exist, but again, they are unique.

Also, many Jedi would be uncomfortable using a lightsaber that once belonged to a Sith, because it would "stink of DS" so to say =)

Edited by Mechavomit

Also, many Jedi would be uncomfortable using a lightsaber that once belonged to a Sith, because it would "stink of DS" so to say =)

Not necessarily. It takes a tremendously powerful Force-User a long time to build up that kind of residue on an object.

I'll make it big!

FACTS ARE FACTS!!!!

You have proven there are no restrictions. If there were restrictions then no exceptions would exist. There is no debating that point. Exceptions exist therefore there is no restrictions in the Star Wars universe period. You cannot justify away exceptions.

Players are the exception to the rules. We are the Exar Kun and Mace Windu of our game. I am a member of the Dark Council. Pretty sure I can put in a pink and purple pokadot crystal in my saber with zero repercussions. My other Sith is the Wrath and pretty sure I could put a yellow and orange candy striped in my sabers with no repercussions.

Yeah opinion! Feel free to exclude blasters I am sure blaster classes could care less about lightsabers. I read your answer to blasters and I disregard it since I think it is ignorant to ignore other players in the game! You propose changes that effect other parts of the game and your answer is I don't care!

Keep arguing you already proved with a shadow of a doubt that no restrictions exist. You are arguing based on your opinion and don't care how it effects anyone else or the game itself.

I suggest asking for a ot button so it turns stuff to the right color because restrictions are gone and they are not coming back.

Never saw this many flames about color crystals before. Wow! Artifice is awesome, btw. My Knight uses it to make color crystals and sell them on the Fleet. Including Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, and Orange. :)

Where did you get an orange crystal..I've been wanting to get my hands on an orange crystal as well as a purple one.

You obviously have not read MY post so I will make it big too!

For millennia, the Jedi Order lit lightsabers in every color and hue imaginable. However, following the Battle of Ruusan, the hues of most available crystals had been limited to either blue or green. Lightsaber color crystals could also be compressed, resulting in a pulsating blade, or they could be unstable, resulting in a core which swirled and sparkled.

The Battle of Ruusan was 1000BBY... We are over 2500 years before that. Therefore, color restrictions have no place and I am glad they are gone.

After the Battle of Ruusan, Jedi had to use Ilum as our source for crystals. We are 2500 years before that. At this point Jedi use any crystal color we want! Your argument is invalid.

/end stupid and pointless internet yelling

Edited by Liavain

The problem with this argument is that many people are using poor arguments in their defense of stances (on both sides) that are reasonable in spirit. Folks are over-stating and getting bogged down in lore, when lore isn't really the issue.

In the movies, it's really hard to deny that the iconic colors for Jedi are blue and green and the iconic color for a Sith is red.

It's not impossible for them to use other colors, but the tone of the films (not the "lore"; the tone) suggests that red = sith and blue/green = Jedi. They also reasonably suggest that this is true in every ad for SWTOR.

The people in favor of color restrictions simply worry that without restrictions, that feeling... that tone... will be lost.

I disagree with this, but it's not an altogether unreasonable concern.

The people that are against restrictions state (reasonably) that restrictions actually violate what the movies show (that it is possible to use other colors). They also point out that this game is set in the EU, and the EU clearly states that in this era colors are close to meaningless.

I happen to think that restricted colors would be a mistake. I think the pro-restriction folks are grossly overstating the impact that no restrictions will have, especially considering the fact that thousands of NPCs still use the traditional colors. I think, proportionately, the overwhelming majority (including NPCs) will still use the correct colors.

However, I think we're latching onto flawed arguments and bickering about lore details when that's not really the complaint (for most of them). And if it was the complaint at first, it has evolved.

Where did you get an orange crystal..I've been wanting to get my hands on an orange crystal as well as a purple one.

Well, you can get them starting on Tatooine from the Weapons/Specialty Goods vendors since they're in pistols there. Also, Artificers get the recipes from the Artifice vendor at around 150 - 200 Artifice level, I do believe.