Tab Targeting is Awful. Fix it to prefer targets IN FRONT OF YOU

GreymaneAlpha

Title says it all. Tab targeting is awful and extraordinarily unintuitive. "Target next enemy" should preferentially select enemies that are directly in front of you: this is the behavior that every other MMO has.

Right now, "target next enemy" seems to love targeting people that are behind you, to your side and out of line of sight, or in some other random direction besides the way you're looking. This makes PvP far more awkward than it needs to be, because selecting the correct opponents takes shockingly large amounts of time (especially compared to warcraft).

Fix tab-target. To me, it's the single largest skillcap limiter in objective-oriented PvP right now.

And no, "target nearest enemy" is not a solution. Nor is click-targeting with your mouse, which is almost impossible due to how small the targeting boxes are, how fast characters move, and the inability to target enemies by clicking on the nameplate/healthbar floating above their head (like you can do in every other game).

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Targeting the center of screen is really mad!!

If a group member is in front, guess what happens...

Need something like:

Target nearest enemy in the screen-center + second tab-press target's the second nearest enemy in the middle-screen!

is that hard enough?

Edited by geomanser

I re-subbed a week or so ago, see if the game is still a buggy mess. Won't get into that.

One thing that is really standing out is the tab targeting, I don't recall it ever being so bad. Its all over the place now. Used to be predictable or at least "ok". It was always a little off but it seems like now it is just awful. Like the thing goes out of its way to select the wrong target. So much so that it will select a target I am not even in combat with.

People have always QQ'd a bit about the tab targeting some but it never bothered me to this extent. Glad to see I am not the only one now.

Before I un-subbed I was doing a Heroic 4 as a PT Tank. We were getting ready to pull a single champ mob that was in front of us, nothing else in visible range. I used tab to target him and hit unload to start the pull. My character spun a 180 and blasted a pack of mobs behind us and on a hill I didn't even have LOS on if I had been looking that direction.. Good times.

Edited by pipda

• 1 month later...
It's really annoying in boss fights when you have to kill adds quite quickly. E.g. first boss in KP, tab target won't target the adds AT ALL.

thats a target problem, yes

but not the front of me auto targeted, the game isnt a shooter, it want help the tanks at all

WoW had this problem early on -first year I think- and guess what Blizzard did?

They patched a fix in!

I kid you not, people complained, few days latter it was fixed!

Since then every MMO I have played (I played most Trippe-A MMOs since then) could not get tab targeting to work properly.

Edited by Cempa

Tab targeting seems to always toggle between two mobs for me. Adjusting my angle might have me targeting enemies way off in the distance. Like many other things in this game, it's a sloppy mess.

* Speaking of sloppy, moderator moved this to the PvP forum *

Edited by ohpleasework

Tab targetting is another 'feature' of this game. I was playing huttball yesterday and I was in a 1 v 1 against a marauder. All of a sudden, a merc shows up so I use tab to switch target, push the guy in the acid and stun him there. Then press tab to go back on the marauder. I press again, and again, and again .... after 7 tabs I was already too low on HP do do something. I had to click him with the mouse :eek:!!

Bottom line, take out tab targetting as it seems you don't want to fix it .

Just as an FYI if you look in preferences there is a target center screen ability under targeting, you can bind this to a key you feel comfortable with and you have exactly what you are asking for.

Not really.

Target Center Screen also targets players on your team.

So if there is an enemy behind your healer, good luck targeting him.

Yeah, but the folks ranting haven't discovered that there's a target nearest option as well. Give them time.

I have, and it still sucks. It will still at times target the wrong enemy. Sometimes the nearest isn't who you want to target either.

?! Tab-target is fine.

If you're a really skilled gamer, you will occasionally click on your targets to have maximum precision, but I guess you all want to tune the skilllevel of this game to such a low niveau, that your cat could participate in PvP and rock at it...

And don't even try to argue here, most self-proclaimed MMO-"pros" would suck at really competetive games such as RTS or FPS like Starcraft or Counterstrike.

In comparison to targeting in other games of this genre:

- SWTOR Tab targeting feels awkward and confusing.

- Even mouse targeting could be better and less clunky.

Just my opinion.

Edited by PandaMonk

mostly agree...

The problem isn't so much the *TAB* it's the fact that the game tells me who I've got targeted with an average sized red arrow and circle on the ground...at their feet...where I'm typically not looking. In warzones there is often a sea of red names with guild tags, long titles etc. and finding an average sized red arrow in that sea can be hard to do, especially when you just hit tab and then have to find your \/ arrow. Hey...I found it!!!

Maybe change the arrow color, size, shape, add movement to it...make it spin around and shoot rainbows or something...anything to differentiate between all the red I'm seeing.

Ever noticed sometimes the circle on the ground will actually rotate from the ground to float around the chest area of your companions or other NPC's??? Even this would be an improvement.

Edited by MetalHed

?! Tab-target is fine.

If you're a really skilled gamer, you will occasionally click on your targets to have maximum precision, but I guess you all want to tune the skilllevel of this game to such a low niveau, that your cat could participate in PvP and rock at it...

And don't even try to argue here, most self-proclaimed MMO-"pros" would suck at really competetive games such as RTS or FPS like Starcraft or Counterstrike.

Good luck trying that when 2 large players are guarding the door in Voidstar while the smaller character plants the bomb.

And I bet all those bad a** players who are really good at "competitive games" like Starcraft or Counterstrike, probably suck at things like outdoor activities.

Edited by TUXs

Good luck trying that when 2 large players are guarding the door in Voidstar while the smaller character plants the bomb.

And I bet all those bad a** players who are really good at "competitive games" like Starcraft or Counterstrike, probably suck at thinks like outdoor activities.

Never saw this move, sounds pretty clever to me! So in that situation when your AoE is depleted and you don't know anything else, than well, they by all means deserved that bomb planted succesfully. Just remember to save one AoE ability the next time... (or you know, just use abiliites like Heat Missile of the BH, but I guess every "pro" has trashed it from their ability bar, because they deemed it wothless, haha)

Also funny thing. You think people posting in the forums all day complaining about minor stuff and whining around do have an active and happy social life? Think about it.