Punishing the solo player

daisame

I am all for grouping, when it is with friends. But this game really punishes you if you are a solo player. The class quests a are a factor harder then the rest and it is often just to tough to solo them. I die a lot and I consider myself an above average gamer, having played a lot of MMOs and various other games.

It is just becoming more trouble than its worth, and I don't want to be forced to look for help every time I want to do a class quest.

I want to like this game. I always loved what Bioware made, but this is just frustrating. Maybe I will cool down and come back. The whole needing to do class quests and dailies to get gear, so you can have enough gear to do class quests and dailies is a catch 22 that really only be overcome by dieing a lot, or grouping up.

It just isn't fun.

The situation is actually worse than you think, I leveled 2.5 characters to 50 solo as a few friends in another state bought the game and were on a different server. With the opening of Oceanic servers we have since gotten together and starting playing alts, to my suprise every quest giver allocates social points if your grouped when you talk to them. My lvl 15 BH has triple the social points of my 50 Marauder.

So not only are solo players denied content, but also gear, and items from the social point vendor. I have been suggesting for months that BW introduce solo versions of flashpoints & OP's that can be run with multiple companions, but the suggestion continues to be ignored.

If my friends werent playing or stop, I will never go back to solo playing this game knowing what I know now. I would rather quit and look for a another game than give BW my money to provide me with minimal content & reward.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if serious, my merc that i am currently leveling is soloing 4 man heroic quests with healer companion (granted that i can reset after 1 or 2 kills) 2 man heroic quests i MURDER straight up without any big problems, you must be doing something wrong sir.

Actually what you implied above is very doable as a Merc & a Sorcerer

I would challenge you to attempt it as a Marauder though, some classes make the game far easier than others.

Wow, this thread topic still has legs?!

Of all the topics that people could debate about this game, I would not have dreamed that the game punishing solo players would be one of them. :p.

I agree 100%, if you are having problems with solo content it's because:

1. You are rushing through the content

2. Lack the gear for you and your companion

3. Trying to faceroll the bosses

The situation is actually worse than you think, I leveled 2.5 characters to 50 solo as a few friends in another state bought the game and were on a different server. With the opening of Oceanic servers we have since gotten together and starting playing alts, to my suprise every quest giver allocates social points if your grouped when you talk to them. My lvl 15 BH has triple the social points of my 50 Marauder.

So not only are solo players denied content, but also gear, and items from the social point vendor. I have been suggesting for months that BW introduce solo versions of flashpoints & OP's that can be run with multiple companions, but the suggestion continues to be ignored.

If my friends werent playing or stop, I will never go back to solo playing this game knowing what I know now. I would rather quit and look for a another game than give BW my money to provide me with minimal content & reward.

BW does this to encourage grouping by using the social point system, by giving this points for solo playing is very very very BAD.

Edited by Blazenor

I have played almost every advanced class now on both factions and I have yet to find one that struggles to solo, even on 2 man heroics. You do have to play them differently and use differnet tactics depending on the advanced class of course.

Try the Marauder from 40+, in fact look at the class forums. Many players have had to enlist friends to kill the last 2 major boss encounters because many posters found it impossible to do. I can proudly say i've done both solo but the last boss took me 2 hours to figure out & defeat. But of all the classes Marauder has been the most satisfying with the best storyline in the game in my opinion.

Whereas my Inquisitor is currently 40 and cuts through everyhting like a hot knife through butter and has never died on a boss encounter.

Edited by NoxiousAlby

I agree 100%, if you are having problems with solo content it's because:

1. You are rushing through the content

2. Lack the gear for you and your companion

3. Trying to faceroll the bosses

BW does this to encourage grouping by using the social point system, by giving this points for solo playing is very very very BAD.

Exactly. If you are of proper level, you won't have any problems with a regular/class quest. And yeah, Bioware simply encourages grouping with social points.

Any MMO with instances are made for grouping. If you don't like it, too bad. It's a part of MMO gaming and they aren't going to change a genre for a few people.

I mean it's a Massively MULTIPLAYER Online game for gods sake.. If you want to play solo go play KOTOR instead.

You guys are being too tough on this guy. Some of the Bosses are OP and take a talented player to beat at level. Some even a couple levels higher are still very tough.

Some of the tatooine mission bosses in particular are tough. The mission that thing czerka dug up is just nasty. Now that isn't hard to solo but it's hard to solo without dying. The Smuggler Class mission with the Fat guy, a Sith, a Jedi and I can't remember how many other guys is tough. Sentinel faces Lord Praven and then the SandDemon, both those fights are tough even above level.

I don't agree that this game can't be solo'd but I didn't do it on my Sentinel. A couple of Bosses, I got tired of dying too much and got a guildie to help me.

I have alts that are in their low 30s that I so far solo'd without help but I may come across bosses I have trouble with.

If you have a fight you just can't win, you have a few options.

1) Level up using other missions, pvp, space.

2) Gear up. You might need to do item one to afford that.

3) Grab a friend, Guildie, Someone Else on the Planet (Pay if you have to).

4) If it's not a class mission, you could just drop it and move on. For that matter if you want to just do space, pvp and side quests (inc fps, heroics), you could skip the class quest though you won't get any remaining companions if you do.

Edited by JerokTalram

You guys are being too tough on this guy. Some of the Bosses are OP and take a talented player to beat at level. Some even a couple levels higher are still very tough.

Some of the tatooine mission bosses in particular are tough. The mission that thing czerka dug up is just nasty. Now that isn't hard to solo but it's hard to solo without dying. The Smuggler Class mission with the Fat guy, a Sith, a Jedi and I can't remember how many other guys is tough. Sentinel faces Lord Praven and then the SandDemon, both those fights are tough even above level.

I don't agree that this game can't be solo'd but I didn't do it on my Sentinel. A couple of Bosses, I got tired of dying too much and got a guildie to help me.

I have alts that are in their low 30s that I so far solo'd without help but I may come across bosses I have trouble with.

If you have a fight you just can't win, you have a few options.

1) Level up using other missions, pvp, space.

2) Gear up. You might need to do item one to afford that.

3) Grab a friend, Guildie, Someone Else on the Planet (Pay if you have to).

4) If it's not a class mission, you could just drop it and move on. For that matter if you want to just do space, pvp and side quests (inc fps, heroics), you could skip the class quest though you won't get any remaining companions if you do.

How are we being tough? this is an MMO... If you don't want to play with other people, then go play something else....

Bioware failed to optimize this game. I got alot of friends and myself got high end computers and we lag, some badly even.

And people with medium and low specs don't. I've heard it is a glitch that effects only high end computers because it effects the graphics and the UI system. we all suffer from this glitch, however it is only noticeable on high spec systems as high end computers enhance it, where as low end comps do not have the power to enhance, but they just do what they can.

And people with medium and low specs don't. I've heard it is a glitch that effects only high end computers because it effects the graphics and the UI system. we all suffer from this glitch, however it is only noticeable on high spec systems as high end computers enhance it, where as low end comps do not have the power to enhance, but they just do what they can.

You sir, are a genius. I've been seeking for a logical answer to why mid-low end comps can run this game better than end. Thanks :p

You sir, are a genius. I've been seeking for a logical answer to why mid-low end comps can run this game better than end. Thanks :p

Thanks man, I wish I could, but I can't take credit.

A guildmate explained the theory to me, and I've noticed a few others that have seemed to deduce the problem as well.

I will say however, that it hasn't been proven, but is simply one of the only logical explanations that we (my guild) can all agree makes enough sense.

But I'm glad I could help man. :cool:

I am all for grouping, when it is with friends. But this game really punishes you if you are a solo player. The class quests a are a factor harder then the rest and it is often just to tough to solo them. I die a lot and I consider myself an above average gamer, having played a lot of MMOs and various other games.

Sorry dude but the class quests are super easy. You are not above average, but rather below average if you find them to be difficult.

I generally do the same thing.. well clearing the adds that is. In some cases, the adds can be harder than the boss. Like a class quest where there is two strongs. Since the only CC I have is for a droid, two biologicals and I would get hammered.

Yesterday while in Cnet, I force jumped into a group of what I thought was 4 weaks and an Strong and got wasted. What? I'm a level 49 Focus Spec Sentinel. I should creamed them. Well it turns out that another Strong walked up. So okay, I killed one Strong the first time, I should be able to beat them. I jump in there's a 3rd Strong and the one I killed respawned not long into the fight. I was able to kill them all though. Lots of fun.

Edited by JerokTalram

My ********ometer just went off...

Then it needs recalibration. I went through levels 30-45 with my BH PT using some oranges with out-of-date mods and out-of-date greens for the most part.

It was slow going because I was a tank with a healing companion, but it's not like anything could be called difficult whatsoever.

Yes it is difficult to solo. Especially if you're not a tank.

Tanks have their problems. I bet my Sentinel can down an Elite or Champion way faster than any tank. I've had tanks tell me that they downed 3 or more Stims on a fight. If I even use a stim, I never get close to cool down ending. Then again maybe you don't consider killing really slowly a problem.

Edited by Arzhanin
Quoted removed content

Not sure if serious, my merc that i am currently leveling is soloing 4 man heroic quests with healer companion (granted that i can reset after 1 or 2 kills) 2 man heroic quests i MURDER straight up without any big problems, you must be doing something wrong sir.

Well BH is only one of a few classes that can pull that kind of stuff off. (How many levels did you say you were over the content?) There is no way my sentinel with no useful CC can solo multiple Elites. I bet my Vanguard would have trouble and die too. So just because you can do crazy stuff with your OP class, doesn't mean the other classes can too.

Well BH is only one of a few classes that can pull that kind of stuff off. (How many levels did you say you were over the content?) There is no way my sentinel with no useful CC can solo multiple Elites. I bet my Vanguard would have trouble and die too. So just because you can do crazy stuff with your OP class, doesn't mean the other classes can too.

Exactly, the classes don't compare when doing all kinds of things. In groupcontent, that isn't an issue, since all classes augment eachother. However, in solo content, like class-missions, it is an issue.

For the WoW comparisons: my Shadow is very comparable to a Tank paladin, my companion handles the healing component, the shadow handles the tanking component.

The Sniper on the other hand is more like a rogue, but one without stealth: no tank capabilities, and while the companion can handle the healing component, there's simply no health/armor buffer for compensation. But, the Sniper also just doesn't have the CC or interrupt capabilities to compensate for that lack either. There's less of them, and they are on a long cooldown. Even the defensive capabilities are on a cooldown.

Now, I could suggest increasing the Snipers' survivabilty overall, but that might affect PvP a bit too much. So instead, I'd suggest buffing the companions somewhat. Let the tanking companions heal themselves, something like a 50% self heal in combat with a 1 minute cooldown usable when the companion gets below 30% health or something. Completely useless to operatives specced for healing. But it would make tank companions more interresting to Snipers for another playstyle, while also increasing their solo survivability.

Yes, I know there's med-units that do that. But should about any crewskill be mandatory for a class? I think not. Especially not if every time you use one, you're basically throwing away some 3k in mats, or are required to spend several of those to get a re-usable version, throughout your leveling.

Basically, if my Shadow can do the solo missions in the class arc without a single stim, and rarely needing a medpack, then why shouldn't my Sniper be able to do so?

*some* parts of the class quest can be downright hard. One example is the trooper class quest where you're forced to only use 2 pets you normally wouldn't use then they slap 2 silver mobs and 4 trash on you. Even with a healer pet at level, that's a borderline fight - and you can't use your healer pet.

What you do is, you blow all your 2 minute cooldowns per fight. So fight one set of mobs and wait 2 minutes, then do that for the next 20 sets of mobs. Save your 20 minute cooldown for the final bosses.

Another way about it is to kill the weaker mobs and try to take down 1 stronger mob, die, res then kill the last strong mob. Rinse repeat. - yeah kind of sucks doing it this way; but that's a last resort if you are on cooldown.

The prevalent, number of silver mobs at the mid to higher levels should concern you more than the class quests. Some of them are brutal, even when it's 1 silver vs you and pet... and you have to fight through a sea of them.

If you keep yourself and your companion geared you should be able to solo all of your class quests without too much difficulty. Always make sure your companion has gear at or near level and that all of his slots have something equipped in them, it will make soloing MUCH easier.

Class quests were some of the easiest stuff I went through. I was able to solo major class bosses one or two levels below the recommended on my Sentinel, BEFORE I got Doc.

Some of the very last bosses were harder but the stuff outside my class quests were much more difficult, and I like that.

Truth is, this game offers more to the solo player, than just about any other mmorpg on the market, even LotRO.

To say Bioware is punishing solo players is pure nonsense.

How are we being tough? this is an MMO... If you don't want to play with other people, then go play something else....

Because sometimes the population is like this http://i.imgur.com/3of6w.jpg

That's a pretty harsh statement that i could easily turn around and say, if you're charging MMORPG monthly fees, why are there no ppl to group up with? -Because when i log in at 7:30 and all i get is 1 other person who'se afk or 11 oclock and 3 people who aren't answering, should we then expect a paying player to NOT solo? Because that makes absolutely no sense.

http://i.imgur.com/Z2tlN.jpg

When you see "purple [heroics] area" pop up on screen while soloing your going to run into trouble, I'm wondering if thats where the OP is having difficulty,otherwise I cant see any other problem accept being under leveled and under geared for the area or quest.

When you see "purple [heroics] area" pop up on screen while soloing your going to run into trouble, I'm wondering if thats where the OP is having difficulty,otherwise I cant see any other problem accept being under leveled and under geared for the area or quest.

Actually, I have come to the conlusion that both he and his companion are playing nekid and fighting with spoons and forks for weapons. :D