Punishing the solo player

daisame

What class is your char? And a class which has some CC can CC the elite, take out the adds first. Even if you cannot use any CC, allways take out the weaker mobs first. And some companions have a CC skill also. A lot of times, the bosses will have a powerful skill/spell which must be interrupted.

This is my second 50. Jedi Sentinel. But I had similar problems with my Sith Inquisitor. At least there I could CC. If there is a droid, I can CC, but otherwise DPS race.

That is generally my plan, take out the weak dps machines and then get on the strong or elite. However, in some cases that strong has some serious hitting strength and nearly kills me by the time the weak mobs are down. In some cases I have had better luck hitting the strong first since they hit so much harder.

I Have a few interrupts, but even my quickest cooldown is like 15 seconds, and when they just keep launching one after the other, I cannot get them all. On my toon, if I am interrupted, I have to wait for it to cool down. Don't think the enemy mobs have that problem. =)

I guess what I was getting at initially, is that if the class quests were no harder than any other instances, I would not have a problem at all. I can pretty much walk through a normal instance of my level without much trouble. A class quest, I have to take it very slow and be very diligent. Even then, it is easy to get killed. At 50, my class quests are actually a couple levels below me now too.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wish some people would call troll properly, your obviously not a troll, you have an issue and maybe it is with class, maybe with biting off more than you can chew or maybe using the wrong compainion.

As a trooper I found some bosses a lot harder than others and one answer to difficult ones was to clear the area of adds, stick my heal companion out. and kite the mob using stuns to when i could to getb healed up and use the line of sight to keep the mob off me while my compainion throws heals

I generally do the same thing.. well clearing the adds that is. In some cases, the adds can be harder than the boss. Like a class quest where there is two strongs. Since the only CC I have is for a droid, two biologicals and I would get hammered.

I have definitely used creative tactics in the past to get past the bosses. But it is often trial and error. Honestly the boss fights are not that much of an issue. They can be challenging, but I can USUALLY get past them. I might die once or twice there, but that is not where I have my issues. It is with the trash mobs leading up to those fights. A couple strongs together, or a strong with 2 weak mobs that just beat the hell out of me faster than I can DPS them down and get healed. That is when I get frustrated. The same encounter in any other instance would NOT be an issue. But the moment I hit a class quest, those encounters feel like 3-4 levels higher than they are listed.

At 50, I can go into a 50 instance and not get smacked around to badly. At 50, going into a class quest that is level 48, I can get killed 4 times, just wading partway through to the elite. Which is often an easier fight than the trash leading up to him.

On Voss there's a boss on a world-arc that you'll want to outlevel by about 5 levels.

Some elite droids on the final mission are really brilliant: you simply can't outlevel them. Level 50 happens to be the cap in case you didn't notice. The end-boss is a simple matter of staying on the move and interrupting, but those droids? No way. The only way to get past them is slicing them, run past, let them kill you in the next room and then simply re-rez. A Sniper simply can't take those on his own. You're quite a few interrupts short, your tank and DPS companions die too fast, your healer companions can't keep up with the damage you receive.

Any idea why there are so few Snipers at levelcap? This is why. Sniper is an uphill battle compared to leveling an easymode healer or tank spec.

i think i remember that fight on my Sniper, and yeah it was a challange, but I managed to finish it, the biggest problem with Snipers i think is sometimes immediately after you finish a conversation, you are standing right next to the guy you are supposed to fight lol

To the OP....class stories can be tougher than others and usually are tougher at the higher levels, however they are most certainly soloable. I leveled my 50 Jedi Shadow all the way solo and never had help with any of his class story quests. The key is to make sure you are the right level for the quest, use the correct companion and go prepared with med packs and stims. TOR is the most solo friendly MMO I have played. 2+ man heroics can be soloed with your companion. I do them pretty often. Once again the key to success is what I said above.

I had the exact same on my Jedi Shadow. It's not a piece of cake perhaps, but everything is VERY managable: plenty of CC's and knockbacks/interrupts, AOE's, Stealth, Force Speed, plenty of survivability. Not so on my Sniper on the other hand. Lack of CC's, NO escape mechanisms, LESS knockbacks/interrupts, LESS survivability.

The IA can deal a lot of damage, but take very little by comparison and has less means to prevent taking damage at all. Half the abilities have a lessened effect on strong or better mobs. As nice as Orbital Bombardment is, it won't knockback an elite mob. Coverpulse isn't a valid knockback, since that requires you to get in range first, which means it'll be too late by the time you get it off. Compare that with Forcewave: Oh, only works on mobs in range? Well, you're supposed to be in range as a Shadow, so that's no issue, making Force Wave a valid interrupt. Against ranged mobs, your Force Pull actually works great as an interrupt as well. And that's on top of all the other interrupts and stuns. The Imperial Agent simply does NOT have that luxury.

Just like Mind Maze vs Slice Droid: Slice Droid automatically puts you in combat, Mind Maze does not.

Yes, they're different classes, so they operate different. But it is pretty obvious that the Sniper got the short end of the stick, especially when compared to Assassins or Shadows.

If you cannot solo your class quests you are doing something wrong. Those are designed for solo play, that's why when you enter the area it says only one xxxxx can gain experience at a time, or whatever it is. Because you are not intended to gang-**** easy content. What you need to do is stop rushing the end and complete all the content on every planet. If you did all the non-heroic content and some occasional space content you'd be at least 4 levels above any class boss you encounter. It amazes me how many people are level 25 trying to take out level 35 bosses and crying when it can't be done.

Thanks. You are right. That is why I do all the side quests and ensure that I am at least the right level to move on. Usually, I am a level or two higher.

If the class quests were like any other instance, I would not have any issues. When I was leveling, I would find myself having to be a good 2 levels higher with some decent gear to be able to get through a class quest. At level 50, I don't have the option of getting another level or two under my belt.

However, how does one know if they can handle the class quests, when all the other encounters are so much easier? Do they need to be harder so that you can tell when you are ready to do a class quest?

Maybe I have been using the wrong measure to see if I was properly geared for a class quest. I have been using side quests and how difficult those are as my measuring stick. I figured if I can relatively easily negotiate an instance that is the same level as me, then a class quest 2 levels lower should be just as easy or easier. But that has not been my experience. It seems like class quests are a couple levels higher. At level 50, a level 48 class quests is harder than a level 50 side quest.

Is it expected to do all the flashpoints one or two times, to get some better gear for your class quests? If so, I will simply pug flashpoints all day. That is sort of a tedious grind and boring, but maybe that's what it takes.

i think i remember that fight on my Sniper, and yeah it was a challange, but I managed to finish it, the biggest problem with Snipers i think is sometimes immediately after you finish a conversation, you are standing right next to the guy you are supposed to fight lol

The tip here is when the conversation is about to end, hover one finger over tab and one over your flashbang hotkey. When you get out of the scene, Immediately hit tab to target something in the group then hit flashbang. This gives you the time to do your usual setup.

Thanks to those that honestly were trying to help. For everyone one of you, there are ten or more that just like to point out how much better they are or how stupid I am. I should have known better than to post on the game forums. I do know better. Temporary insanity.

Sanity restored.

I will admit to the OP that there were a few quests that punked me the first time I attempted them while leveling as a trooper.

but when it did happen, I backed off, thought about it, did necessary pre-fight buffs, and then ultimately succeeded....each and every time.

so, in retrospect, I almost rather they make more of the quests 'harder' to make them more up to par with the ones that made me actaully think and work for the win.

my vote is to boost the difficulty a little bit ..... the challenges of an enemy that has the potential to 'kick my butt' ...is a great feeling.

I'd like to meet 'more' of these advesaries.

Thanks to those that honestly were trying to help. For everyone one of you, there are ten or more that just like to point out how much better they are or how stupid I am. I should have known better than to post on the game forums. I do know better. Temporary insanity.

Sanity restored.

Nah, don't give up. :) For all those who lurk waiting to cause trouble or troll there are plenty who will be happy to help. Just learn to ignore the prats and you'll find the forums can actually be helpful.

Maybe posting to class forum (for whatever class you had problems with) might be better than General which usually is just a PvP zone.

G'luck. :)

To the OP.

I agree that some class quests are really hard for certain classes, while for others they can be a cake walk. Some people who haven't played these classes to 40+ wouldn't necessarily know this.

I have found on my sage, with a tanking companion I can do things I would have been face down and dead on with my dps jedi... especailly when contronting multiple ranged attackers, even normal mobs at times. You have to treat each and every fight as a major fight (coming from WoW) where you use your cd's and cc. This means combat can be long and grindy on even just normal mobs and I have seen plenty of people just running through mobs to avoid this long and grinding combat.

The quests I believe were tuned for one set of companion abilities, which were heavily nerfed just before release.... ie. tanking companions for example. This makes it hard on solo players, where when I group it's a cakewalk where you don't even really need to think about it.

The devs themselves have admitted in the dev forums that certain classes where taking too much damage too easily early in the game (dps jedi for example), but nada since then on an incoming fix.

Like the many many bugs, I don't know when the fixes will be incoming - the patches don't mention any fixes of much lately. I suspect they are desperate to keep end game people atm, thus adding new content, while leaving a shakey, but workable, foundation is the operation of the moment.

These are my opinions of course based on my observations. Your's are probably different.

Edited by Droidist

It appears I am in the minority. So while I have not had problems with other MMOs or games in general, this one has some quests kicking my butt. I can only use my experience with other games to judge my own competency. Base on those, I would say I am above average. However, if everyone who plays those games finds them tediously easy, then I would probably be below average in comparison.

So without debating the measuring stick, seems most do not have the problem.

So it must be all me or the way I interface with this game. My toon is level 50 with gear that I have acquired through quest rewards, drops, and commendation turn-in. I can fight level 50 elites pretty easily. In a class quest instance, one level 48 strong with two weak mobs will kick my butt. Any other instance, I would not have a problem with it. An elite in a class quest will also be a 50-50 shot, and that is 2 levels below me. A level 50 elite outside the quest will be a relative ease to take down.

So either class quests are considerably harder than other instances, or I loose all my ability to play adequately the moment I enter a class quest.

It is probably me. But at least most others are not having the same problem.

I am not quite sure that this is true and do not feel that the responses to your original post are representative of the overall community experience.

I play 50% of my time solo and 50% of my time with my wife. I have different characters for each style. My wife is a new player and is still learning the basics. I have to say that playing with another person as a group is just great (if you take your time and experience the game) and kuddo's to BW on the way things are set up for this. It is a kick to see the four of us (two players and two companions) in conversations. Needless to say, two players who are in tune with each other through playing together over time can kick butt. Yesterday we did a few two person heroics and did not break a sweat.

As a solo player, I am leveling a SI (lightning), a Trooper, and a Smuggler among others. I find most of the questing doable at lavel or a little below although you have to pay attention to make sure that you do not pull multiple groups of mobs or have a patrolling silver or gold unexpectedly come into the area where you are having the fight. So far (to level 40 on each), I have found three quests that have been a problem. They have all been on the SI. The end of chapter 1 class quest gave me fits. I started trying it at one level below the quest and got pasted. I looked at some videos and tried it again one level above and got pasted. I then had to up my gear and add another level before I could do the quest. I have found two regular quests on my SI against Elites that I had a lot of problems with. Other than that the solo play on the SI has gone well and I have hit planets three levels below the range and have had no problems. On the other hand my Trooper with Dorne to heal has had no difficullty with anything. Multiple elites or silvers go down pretty well. The only time he gets killed is when I aggro multiple groups of trash or a group of trash and an elite and then most of the time actually can win those fights. The Smuggler is somewhere in between, but I have had no real problems with her either, just have to be careful and pay attention to the fights. LOL, the Smuggler is on my wifes account and there was one fight that the character could not bring down a boss. It could not kill her but she could not kill it either after she hit it with everything that she had. I had my wife get on my account and bring in my Trooper and we burned the boss to the ground in under five seconds. My JCs also have a tough time in some fights and there was one class quest where my wife had to help as well.

So in the end, I think that the game is great solo but there are certain classes that do have difficulties in a few fights. My way of dealing with it is to just try to learn the fight and try it in different ways. Most of the time that works, but if the character does not have the horsepower to do it or I am not skilled enough to carry it off, I just level a little more, improve my (and companion's gear) and then come back and do it.

I am an average player (probably average of the average players). To me the key is to just enjoy the game and take my time in leveling. I am in no rush to get to 50 on any of my characters. If I find something that I can't do, I play around it until I can. So enjoy yourself and enjoy the challenge of the fights that are hard for you. As a final thought, if you do need help in a fight, ask for it. Most players may ignore you, but there are some (like me) that will gladly help someone out. I can't gurantee the response you will get, but if I am around and can help, I will. That is part of the fun of the game.

I generally do the same thing.. well clearing the adds that is. In some cases, the adds can be harder than the boss. Like a class quest where there is two strongs. Since the only CC I have is for a droid, two biologicals and I would get hammered.

I have definitely used creative tactics in the past to get past the bosses. But it is often trial and error. Honestly the boss fights are not that much of an issue. They can be challenging, but I can USUALLY get past them. I might die once or twice there, but that is not where I have my issues. It is with the trash mobs leading up to those fights. A couple strongs together, or a strong with 2 weak mobs that just beat the hell out of me faster than I can DPS them down and get healed. That is when I get frustrated. The same encounter in any other instance would NOT be an issue. But the moment I hit a class quest, those encounters feel like 3-4 levels higher than they are listed.

At 50, I can go into a 50 instance and not get smacked around to badly. At 50, going into a class quest that is level 48, I can get killed 4 times, just wading partway through to the elite. Which is often an easier fight than the trash leading up to him.

By this description, I can tell you're on Corellia doing the class quest..in particular perhaps the one where you take the shuttles to disable the towers? This has been written about in a few other posts -- not this quest line in particular, but the ridiculous density of strong mobs as trash.

In other words, you're not alone by far with your assessment.

This. Some encounters are very managable as a healer with either a DPS or a tank companion, and very managable to a tank with a healer companion.

Now try leveling an Imperial Agent as a Sniper.

You'll hit your first wall on Balmorra, where you definitely need to outlevel certain encounters by 3-4 levels.

Taris? You'll want to outlevel that entire planet by 3-4 levels if you want to keep your repair bill in check.

On Voss there's a boss on a world-arc that you'll want to outlevel by about 5 levels.

Some elite droids on the final mission are really brilliant: you simply can't outlevel them. Level 50 happens to be the cap in case you didn't notice. The end-boss is a simple matter of staying on the move and interrupting, but those droids? No way. The only way to get past them is slicing them, run past, let them kill you in the next room and then simply re-rez. A Sniper simply can't take those on his own. You're quite a few interrupts short, your tank and DPS companions die too fast, your healer companions can't keep up with the damage you receive.

Any idea why there are so few Snipers at levelcap? This is why. Sniper is an uphill battle compared to leveling an easymode healer or tank spec.

Sniper is VERY VERY easy to level. Never hit a brick wall a single time. I could kite kill any mob without my companion. Man... some people... Tank/healer companion always makes life easier.

I in part agree with the OP, more so in end content though.I got to 50 mostly solo but did need help a couple of times. Boss's should scale to team size not be 1 size fits all. As for getting help,ive tried that too. Was on Voss for 3 days only 3 other people on,sometimes 4. when on Corellia average was 6 or 7, asked for help a few time and finally got one person to help me. igave up on my 50 when after way to many attempts to beat a Boss with 65k hit points and a bucketload of credits repairing my armor i said enough. made finally getting to 50 go from great to just ok. in the higher levels my server (Krath) does not have lots of players it seems on the high levels,and all i see is LFG heroic2 or Heroic4,but ask for help on a Boss and you hear Crickets.

This. Some encounters are very managable as a healer with either a DPS or a tank companion, and very managable to a tank with a healer companion.

Now try leveling an Imperial Agent as a Sniper.

You'll hit your first wall on Balmorra, where you definitely need to outlevel certain encounters by 3-4 levels.

Taris? You'll want to outlevel that entire planet by 3-4 levels if you want to keep your repair bill in check.

I think you're over exaggerating. My sniper is currently level 48 and on Corellia. The only cmission I've struggled with was the class quest boss at the end of Chapter 1, and that was because I ran into that stupid LOS bug that forced me to waste my time putting my companion on passive and body-pulling before I could start laying into him.

And before you say anything about being overleveled, I've actually been behind each planet's suggested level by 1-2 levels since Alderaan. I only recently started to catch up since I've put questing down for a while to grind out warzone commendations.

Don't get me wrong, it's not faceroll-easy, but the Imperial Agent (of either AC) has a lot of crowd control, and knowing how/when to interrupt and how/when to burn your crowd control makes all the difference. It's still all very very solo-able.

I had the exact same on my Jedi Shadow. It's not a piece of cake perhaps, but everything is VERY managable: plenty of CC's and knockbacks/interrupts, AOE's, Stealth, Force Speed, plenty of survivability. Not so on my Sniper on the other hand. Lack of CC's, NO escape mechanisms, LESS knockbacks/interrupts, LESS survivability.

The IA can deal a lot of damage, but take very little by comparison and has less means to prevent taking damage at all. Half the abilities have a lessened effect on strong or better mobs. As nice as Orbital Bombardment is, it won't knockback an elite mob. Coverpulse isn't a valid knockback, since that requires you to get in range first, which means it'll be too late by the time you get it off. Compare that with Forcewave: Oh, only works on mobs in range? Well, you're supposed to be in range as a Shadow, so that's no issue, making Force Wave a valid interrupt. Against ranged mobs, your Force Pull actually works great as an interrupt as well. And that's on top of all the other interrupts and stuns. The Imperial Agent simply does NOT have that luxury.

Just like Mind Maze vs Slice Droid: Slice Droid automatically puts you in combat, Mind Maze does not.

Yes, they're different classes, so they operate different. But it is pretty obvious that the Sniper got the short end of the stick, especially when compared to Assassins or Shadows.

I have a IA Operative and he is only level 26..but so far..have had no problems at all doing any of his story line quests. I know they become tougher at higher levels...so will have to wait and see. I also have done several 2+ man heroics at his level solo with his companion. He has the one CC, which shoots a dart at the target and puts it to sleep for up to 60 secs. Very handy skill

. I also have a Sith Marauder who has no CC at all , other than short stuns...but he has had no problems doing all his story line quests and has also did some 2+ man heroics solo with his companion. But...like the IA, he isnot a high level..only being level 24.

I in part agree with the OP, more so in end content though.I got to 50 mostly solo but did need help a couple of times. Boss's should scale to team size not be 1 size fits all. As for getting help,ive tried that too. Was on Voss for 3 days only 3 other people on,sometimes 4. when on Corellia average was 6 or 7, asked for help a few time and finally got one person to help me. igave up on my 50 when after way to many attempts to beat a Boss with 65k hit points and a bucketload of credits repairing my armor i said enough. made finally getting to 50 go from great to just ok. in the higher levels my server (Krath) does not have lots of players it seems on the high levels,and all i see is LFG heroic2 or Heroic4,but ask for help on a Boss and you hear Crickets.

Switch servers? I dont have much issues with groups when I want one on Belgraths beacon.

Your complaints about the Sniper are... very nitpicky and pretty invalid. Orbital Bombardment is a fire-and-forget AoE and only knocks down weak/standard enemies as a bonus (there are many MANY abilities in this game that only CC or work on weak/standard enemies). Every knockback in the game requires being in melee range, so Cover Pulse isn't unique in that regard, and is used to get melee off of you when they get up in your face.

The fact that you bring up Force Pull on the Assassin (which, by the way, is a tank-spec-only ability) as an interrupt is laughable, because you have to be out of attack range to use it to begin with. What are you doing sitting out of attack range as an Assassin? The only valid answer is, "I got hit by a knockback," which has nothing to do with interrupts.

You conveniently completely leave out the Sniper's Flash Bang (8 second AoE mezz) and Distraction (ranged interrupt). Admittedly, Debilitate is stupid on a Sniper, because they should have a ranged stun, not a melee stun; but it and Leg Shot make for decent anti-melee crowd control.

And since we're talking about PvE, not PvP, I'll point out that it's simple and acceptable to get into melee range before opening up on an enemy if you really really need to make use of your melee-centric crowd control. Unlike PvP, you aren't dealing with opponents who actually think and react to your tactics, you're dealing with scripted enemies that will just sit in the same spot and plink away at you, no matter how you decide to attack them. Using everything in your arsenal makes any PvE content extremely easy, no matter what class you're playing.

Not sure if serious, my merc that i am currently leveling is soloing 4 man heroic quests with healer companion (granted that i can reset after 1 or 2 kills) 2 man heroic quests i MURDER straight up without any big problems, you must be doing something wrong sir.

Yes it is difficult to solo. Especially if you're not a tank.

I soloed my class quest to 50 as a sage without much issue. I died a few times on different bosses while learning strategy, but I expect my MMO to have a bit of challenge.

So, if you're not a tank or a healer then?

Edited by Arzhanin
Quoted removed content

I disagree with your statement the game is too easy. It is balanced about right as far as encounters and such. Many times you are tasked to use your brain to be successful and if the game is so easy....you been doing 2+ man heroics solo? And if the run is still too easy with your companion, have you tried them without one? I think your other reasons for quiting weigh much heavier on the scale of why you are quiting. There are plenty of chances for those who want more of a challenge to test thier skills in TOR.

First, I'd like to point out that I said part of the reason I'm leaving. If you're going to try to refute my post, at least read it properly.

Secondly, making up my own artificial challenges doesn't make the game more difficult. It makes the game so easy that I have to come up with my own minigames so it's not a complete faceroll. Nobody cares if somebody else can solo heroic quests, blindfolded, and standing on their head. Everybody gets the same rewards in the end.

I would rather be challenged by actual gameplay than by artificial self-inflicted limiters. The fact that I can complete something that few other people were able to do is what makes it worth doing.

Wow, this thread topic still has legs?!

Of all the topics that people could debate about this game, I would not have dreamed that the game punishing solo players would be one of them. :p

Seriously, the game gives every class the tools to solo quite well. But, you have to use the tools in at least a half way productive manner. Skills, companions, tactics, and level appropriate gear for you and companion makes the game a solo levelers delight. I have played almost every advanced class now on both factions and I have yet to find one that struggles to solo, even on 2 man heroics. You do have to play them differently and use differnet tactics depending on the advanced class of course.

Personally, I have found that dps class + dps companion is the fastest and most bullet proof combo because you simply kill so fast you outlast the mobs. But all class/companion combos do quite well in solo content if you apply the correct tactics and keep your gear at reasonable levels.

Edited by Andryah

I like the class quest difficulty in this game. Because most of the time you choose how difficult class quests are, as in you choose at what level you do it. The closer you are to the quest level the easier the quest is. And the genius part of this game is that you get companions with you, making this very soloable. :D Finally an mmo I can solo. This is like a dream come true. :p

Anyone who thinks its too difficult is doing something wrong. So, rather then write a post about it, check what you can do differently.