Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

OR the companions that would be available for SGR's were not released at the start or are still being worked on. If it was for the current companions it likely would have been available already IMO.

Not necessarily; not if they're rewriting the companion stories for SGRAs like they said they were at the summit. We won't know until they come out later this year but honestly, adding to the current ones would be less work and cost less than creating a whole slew of new companions. I'm expecting a combination of the two personally since there are several companions, as has been pointed out several times throughout this thread, that seem to be pretty obviously already partially written for SGRAs.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The female VAs are better than most of the males. Love Pierce and Arik's voices though ;)

I totally agree! Dropping some love for Timothy Omundson in this thread again, because he did Aric's voice acting and he is GREAT. :) (He also plays Lassiter on Psych- I love him and I love that show) Before TOR, I didn't even realize he did voice work.

Hello Everyone,

We have recently removed a number of posts (and responses to those posts) discussing toggles for same gender romances in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Discussion of the implementation of toggles to filter same gender romance options is considered discriminatory language and is neither appropriate nor allowed on the forums. Posts along this vein of discussion will be removed.

As a gentle reminder: This thread is for the discussion of the how and when of implementation of same gender romances. Please stay constructive, on topic, and be kind to your fellow forum members. If you see someone who is breaking the forum rules, do not respond; please flag their post and the Community Team will investigate. Flag, don't fight!

If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback, please do not hesitate to email communitysupport@swtor.com.

Thank you for your efforts to keep this discussion constructive and respectful.

:eek: I might have a tear in my eye. Best mod/dev team ever. Thank you guys for all the hard work you do (some of which I probably added to by contributing to the, um, more heated discussions...sorry! :o).

I think a player could RP a transgender. Perhaps there are people that could RP the toon with the idea that s/he being born in the wrong body. Granted you can't change gender(as of yet, this may or may not change,) but I think you could incorporate that into your gameplay. I'm not entirely sure how it would work, but there are some very talented RP'ers out there.

I have other ideas about how SGRs are going to be beneficial for(high school)teens that are trying to understand about themselves. However, that broaches into real life discussion, and I don't want to stress the mods anymore than I have to. They've been really good to us and have been trying to assist us in keeping this thread alive.

On a lighter note, the term "Droid Flirts" reminds me of the movie Heavy Metal. Specifically the scene where the President's executive assistant gets kidnapped. Bonus points to those that know the scene I refer to. :cool:

interesting, im much more comfortable rolling a female character so I think i'll refrain.

Plus, quitting due to personal issues probably wouldn't look too good later.

Nothing wrong with sticking to your beliefs. That takes character. Most of the VA's that I'm familiar with won't have an issue though.

No argument from me about sticking up for what you believe in. There is nothing wrong with that and should be commended for sure. :D Quitting a company like BW due to personal issues is career suicide. The game industry is very particular, and BW knows they have a lot of very talented VAs just itching to get into the door. They know they could hire new talent without the personal issues.

They can either record the lines or break contract and be sued-simple enough choice.

Yep, simple as that.

Edited by natashina

interesting, im much more comfortable rolling a female character so I think i'll refrain.

Hey, to each their own. ;) You had asked a good question earlier, so I had that answer. RP'ing bisexual or transsexual is the player's choice. After digging, I found it out that there is people RP'ing transsexuals now. I wouldn't RP a transgender either, but your question was unique and worth responding to. ;)

Hey, to each their own. ;) You had asked a good question earlier, so I had that answer. RP'ing bisexual or transsexual is the player's choice. After digging, I found it out that there is people RP'ing transsexuals now. I wouldn't RP a transgender either, but your question was unique and worth responding to. ;)

I've played transgendered people before. It's an interesting experience, both from the perspective of roleplaying and from the perspective of the reactions of other people.

LOL since I know people who got hrough this stuff I dont know why anybody would RP something like that :rolleyes:

Hello Everyone,

We have recently removed a number of posts (and responses to those posts) discussing toggles for same gender romances in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Discussion of the implementation of toggles to filter same gender romance options is considered discriminatory language and is neither appropriate nor allowed on the forums. Posts along this vein of discussion will be removed.

As a gentle reminder: This thread is for the discussion of the how and when of implementation of same gender romances. Please stay constructive, on topic, and be kind to your fellow forum members. If you see someone who is breaking the forum rules, do not respond; please flag their post and the Community Team will investigate. Flag, don't fight!

If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback, please do not hesitate to email communitysupport@swtor.com.

Thank you for your efforts to keep this discussion constructive and respectful.

This is quite possibly the most awesome mod post I've ever seen. Thank you all so much, not only for your collective hard work in policing this thread but for giving us a solid statement for when people bring up the toggle. *bows respectfully*

LOL since I know people who got hrough this stuff I dont know why anybody would RP something like that :rolleyes:

One reason why people RP is to be someone they are not*. While I'm sure that RPing a trans-gender person couldn't possibly encompass all the things that real-life TG people have to deal with, it's just another way to be another person for a while.

Like I've said in this thread before, this is part of why I tend to play female characters in games; I'm a guy all the time, so it's nice to have my 'self' in another world be female. It's also part of why I'm looking forward to SGRs, as I have no interest in playing out romances with male companion characters.

*This is coming from a guy who spent years in a tabletop RPG playing a slightly psychotic sorceress who had a love of blowing people up from the inside and eating eyeballs who became an elf due to a wild magic surge and later ascended to become the Trifold Goddess of Chaos (by that time, she could have up to three of herself).

Edited by MusedMoose

"Transgender" isn't really a noun; it's more accurate/sensitive to say a transgender person, or really, trans person (which is a bit more inclusive). I know a lot of people don't necessarily know this stuff, just saying :)

In all honestly - the fact that my Jedi Knight cannot flirt with Kira is a potential game breaker. Gender should not even be included as a factor. One of the great things about sci-fi is that it is the key genre where gender ISN'T an issue - it's why a lot of fans follow it. As for gamers - some are gay, some aren't. Some player a character their own gender - some don't. If it's meant to be an escape from reality...if it's meant to be FUN - then the hatred and homophobia of the real world shouldn't translate into game play. If you don't like it - just don't use those options.

I want to know from the Powers That Be for SURE that this will come into effect and my Jedi Knight can flirt to her heart's content with Kira Carson rather than the Doc. If not - I may just go back into my non-gaming world as I did when I got frustrated with WoW gameplay.

In all honestly - the fact that my Jedi Knight cannot flirt with Kira is a potential game breaker. Gender should not even be included as a factor. One of the great things about sci-fi is that it is the key genre where gender ISN'T an issue - it's why a lot of fans follow it. As for gamers - some are gay, some aren't. Some player a character their own gender - some don't. If it's meant to be an escape from reality...if it's meant to be FUN - then the hatred and homophobia of the real world shouldn't translate into game play. If you don't like it - just don't use those options.

Agreed almost completely. :) It isn't a game breaker for me, it's more of a character staller - I feel that I can't play my JK until SGRs are in because I'm hoping that Kira is an SGR option. Much the same with my BH and Mako. But yes, this is a genre and setting where this sort of thing shouldn't be an issue. At least we know that BioWare is committed to fixing this problem and that SGRs will be coming this year.

I want to know from the Powers That Be for SURE that this will come into effect and my Jedi Knight can flirt to her heart's content with Kira Carson rather than the Doc. If not - I may just go back into my non-gaming world as I did when I got frustrated with WoW gameplay.

I have a feeling that we'll get more news when the story update is closer to being released, and I'm sure that news will include which companions are SGR options. So please don't give up yet, or at least, please don't say "I'm never going back" if you do leave. :D

Talking about flirting with Kira, though, has got me thinking: would an out-of-dialogue "Flirt" option with our companions be a good thing? Nothing fancy, just something that you can access by right-clicking on the companion's portrait when they're with you and when you've started the romance.

I'm thinking it could play a flirtatious line from your character, and have your companion respond, with various lines once you're farther along in the relationship. Early on, the lines could be simple and a little silly, but they'd get more serious later. Like, an early Sith Inquisitor flirt could be, "You're beautiful when you're violent," and a later one could be "You and I will crush all who stand before us and make love atop the pile of their bodies." And naturally, at least one flirt would be "I love you," followed by "I know."

For even more fun, companion responses could be different based on the situation. In a city, they might suggest finding a room, while out in the wilderness, some might express their distaste for anything suggestive in such an area, while others might like the idea. And in combat, well... From Vette, you might get "Seriously?!" while from Kaliyo, you'd just get a throaty chuckle. Dorne would say something like, "That is against protocol right now!" :D

I'm thinking I should write this up and post it in the Suggestion Box, since this isn't meant to be SGR-inclusive. Thoughts?

YES!!!! Scorpio will be mine....:D

And we all know the Sith Warrior, Imperial Agent and Smuggler could use some double lovin'. Giggity.:cool:

Vette and Jaesa.... mmmmmm... Kaliyo and Raina.... even better! :D Risha and Akaavi.... Well, I could get down with that too. Giggity giggity goo! :D

Edited by Captain_Zone

why not?

(don't answer that, it will definitely go too far off-topic and we all know .your. answer anyway)

yay for toggle being bad bad :D

I really do wonder if we hear anything else about this before it actually gets added or if they give us some information beforehand. mh mh mh

"Transgender" isn't really a noun; it's more accurate/sensitive to say a transgender person, or really, trans person (which is a bit more inclusive). I know a lot of people don't necessarily know this stuff, just saying :)

Oops. :o I've been lucky to take part in the LGBT community for the last 17 years. One lady I met called herself transgender, hence why I used the term inaccurately. Trans person has a nice ring to it. It sounds elegant to me. Thanks for the education! :D

Talking about flirting with Kira, though, has got me thinking: would an out-of-dialogue "Flirt" option with our companions be a good thing? Nothing fancy, just something that you can access by right-clicking on the companion's portrait when they're with you and when you've started the romance.

I'm thinking it could play a flirtatious line from your character, and have your companion respond, with various lines once you're farther along in the relationship. Early on, the lines could be simple and a little silly, but they'd get more serious later. Like, an early Sith Inquisitor flirt could be, "You're beautiful when you're violent," and a later one could be "You and I will crush all who stand before us and make love atop the pile of their bodies." And naturally, at least one flirt would be "I love you," followed by "I know."

I could picture Mako suggesting one night that we go back to the ship, and she starts saying, "I really look up to you, and you mean more and more everyday." That would add in some "awww" moments in the game. It's the little things that add to the story here.

For even more fun, companion responses could be different based on the situation. In a city, they might suggest finding a room, while out in the wilderness, some might express their distaste for anything suggestive in such an area, while others might like the idea. And in combat, well... From Vette, you might get "Seriously?!" while from Kaliyo, you'd just get a throaty chuckle. Dorne would say something like, "That is against protocol right now!" :D

I'm thinking I should write this up and post it in the Suggestion Box, since this isn't meant to be SGR-inclusive. Thoughts?

I honestly think this is an excellent idea. From DS Jaesa(in combat): "The feel of warm blood reminds me of my warmth for you, Master." Kira: "Now. Is. NOT. The. Time." Quinn: "I'll bring the matter up to you when our lives aren't in peril." I also think some humor is needed on the SW/SI ships. It would be neat to have a fade-in after a love scene and the droid standing there stammering about trying not to listen. Or, have a series of companion quests where you have to go to "somewhere private" and have a companion accidently crash the party. Could you image Blizz if he accidently walked in right before the cut scene?

Blizz: Um, me sorry Boss. Me say nothing!"

For the Imperial side, we could use the chuckles. Jedi's do have more humor in their stories.

I personally I'm behind seeing this in the Suggestion Box. Thanks!! :D

Edited by natashina

I could picture Mako suggesting one night that we go back to the ship, and she starts saying, "I really look up to you, and you mean more and more everyday." That would add in some "awww" moments in the game. It's the little things that add to the story here.

That would be really nifty. :D Still waiting/hoping for Mako as an SGR option, so I can't truly guess what she'd say, but that makes it seem like I've got good stuff to look forward to.

As for "awww" moments, had a big one last night. Spoilers for the Sith Warrior storyline on Taris and the early parts of the Vette romance:

There's this part where you're in a reactor, trying to keep it from blowing up, and the countdown is about to run out. The SW gets the option to ask Vette if she has any last wishes, and she says, "I just wish we'd had more time together." I was like, "Okay, I know we're about to die, but awwwwwwww!" :p After what seems like the start of her romance storyline, where she pushes the SW away, I really wasn't sure if I was on that storyline or not. Clearly, I am.

I personally I'm behind seeing this in the Suggestion Box. Thanks!! :D

Thanks! I'll make a post tonight; can't right now because this is another "I should be leaving for work right now" post. :eek:

Edited by MusedMoose

In general, I think anything that highlights your relation with your companion (romanced or not!) would be appreciated, and the ability to initiate even mini conversations outside of the "I have a triangle above my head" convos would be great. :) I miss the banter of Dragon Age, especially in DA:O where you *could* just randomly start a conversation in the middle of nowhere, kiss your significant other, or suggest other things (generally to be met with a "but we're not in private!" ;) ).

Even a "click on me" phrase to reflect your relationship would be nice -- do we get those even now? In DA, your affection with the character would be related by what they said when you clicked on them, and in DA:O the correlation was actually quite specific.

TL;DR, sounds good to me! Don't know how likely it is, but suggesting things never hurts. ;)

why not?

(don't answer that, it will definitely go too far off-topic and we all know .your. answer anyway)

yay for toggle being bad bad :D

I really do wonder if we hear anything else about this before it actually gets added or if they give us some information beforehand. mh mh mh

Hmm well I guess since I RP characters from other video games...actually I take it back, go ahead.