Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

ugh. why the hell does it matter?

seriously, are people only allowed to have ONE issue with this game?

if anyone honestly thinks my only concern here is SGRA and when and how they will make it into gameplay, they probably brush their hair with a hammer:rolleyes:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't win

So I made my sorceror a synthweaver. And Ashara has the +10 synthweaving. Handy. So I decide I should make sure I've levelled enough affection so she likes me enough to craft faster. Well, for a long time she hated whatever I said to anyone so having her out meant losing affection, not gaining. Solution? companion gifts. AT 24 AFFECTION EACH. Get 106 affection for a rank 5 artifact gift and hear "that's quite nice". Right. Punish companion. A very useful social ability when you're trying to level affection with Ashara. Now if I romanced her, she would have love and favorite gifts. But no, my character is female so contrary to what I had believed when I began playing the game, I could not romance her. It was only after buying my way to over 3000 affection that I found this out. So yeah... so I decided to make an alt. A MALE sith assassin this time. So at least he can get her affection quicker and cheaper. But what's this? He's a cybertech with slicing. Therefore best and most advantageous romancable companion to level affection the quickest? Oh. Andronikos. Of course.

Now what makes all this even worse? I've watched you-tube vids and playing a male character seems to make romance with her so sleazy and almost predatory (she's been a Jedi in training her whole life pretty much) and means pretty much lying to her all the way (which I kind of have to do as a female character anyway). As a female, talking to her I spend most of the time agreeing with her, consoling her, bonding with her etc. And for that all I get is "That's quite nice". Really???

Now would my choices regarding which character even be visible let alone noticable to anyone else in the game? No. Not "in-your-face" at all. The scripts and conversations are already even in-game. Maybe not voiced but for the life of me I can't think why. Do they affect game-play and credits and resources people have and how much time and credits they need to spend? Yes.

Edited by LexiCazam
Inappropriate content

if anyone honestly thinks my only concern here is SGRA and when and how they will make it into gameplay, they probably brush their hair with a hammer:rolleyes:

Indeed! There's a bit of a fallacy that those of us here are only concerned with SGRA.

For the record, I'm actually more concerned with the addition of more cosmetic options (companion helmet toggles, hood toggles, more pets, hue to chest, ship customization, weapon equip preview, changing of character appearance options post-creation) but SGRA was the only one that requires me getting more information for.

I have Nadia, Vette, Mako and Elara with permanent mission icons above their heads on my ship because I don't know if it's safe to proceed with talking to them, yet.

This is my reason for only posting about this issue, rather than the others I care about; it's actually changing my gameplay because I don't want to have to reroll my character if things are done a certain way.

NOTE: Legacy was another thing keeping me from playing a certain way, since I wasn't sure if "new races" could be applied to existing characters. Since it's confirmed that you CANNOT change race after creation, I now know for sure not to create more alts, just yet. I also hope they change their mind on this, because I really want to make more alts, but don't want to have to reroll if they release playable races like Voss, Cathar, Togruta, Nautolan or Zeltron.

I think there are many different people here. For some SGRA matter but are hardly game-breaking, for others it's the one thing keeping them from enjoying the game. Personally, SGRA are the only huge issue I have, certainly the only one that keeps me from creating and playing the characters I want.

Wow...so they really are going to be working on same gender relationships with our companions? Thank goodness! Gosh. I should've been paying more attention to the forums in the beginning.

Sidebar- I swear...if Vette doesn't have the option of being in a relationship with a woman...I think I might force choke someone. Seriously. The only reason I'm playing a dude is so I can have that option. :(

Always good to find out about something like this. :D

As for Vette, the devs did say at the Guild Summit that they know which characters they want to have SGRs. This makes it seem likely that SGRs will be for existing characters, not new ones, though that's not confirmed. Another point that's been brought up on this thread is that since most classes only have one female companion, odds are good those female companions will be SGR options.

I know that Vette isn't the only female companion that the SW gets, so it's hard to say if she'll be the SGR option for a female SW, if Jaesa will, or if both will be available. I'm hoping that BioWare gives all classes at least one SGR option for each gender, to keep things even between SGRs and OGRs. But here's hoping. :) The Vette relationship with a male SGR seems to be very slow to start, maybe she'd be more comfortable with another woman.

Indeed! There's a bit of a fallacy that those of us here are only concerned with SGRA.

For the record, I'm actually more concerned with the addition of more cosmetic options (companion helmet toggles, hood toggles, more pets, hue to chest, ship customization, weapon equip preview, changing of character appearance options post-creation) but SGRA was the only one that requires me getting more information for.

I have Nadia, Vette, Mako and Elara with permanent mission icons above their heads on my ship because I don't know if it's safe to proceed with talking to them, yet.

This is my reason for only posting about this issue, rather than the others I care about; it's actually changing my gameplay because I don't want to have to reroll my character if things are done a certain way.

NOTE: Legacy was another thing keeping me from playing a certain way, since I wasn't sure if "new races" could be applied to existing characters. Since it's confirmed that you CANNOT change race after creation, I now know for sure not to create more alts, just yet. I also hope they change their mind on this, because I really want to make more alts, but don't want to have to reroll if they release playable races like Voss, Cathar, Togruta, Nautolan or Zeltron.

OMG it's like you're reading my mind!

(though I don't have the problem with the companions, since I decided to roll a female smuggler to begin with so I could marry corso... now I'm just waiting to see what happens when I decide to play a chiss smuggler for the other AC...theehee)

btw, for the sith warrior, wouldn't it be epic if Jaesa was actually SGRA-available for LS? I mean, she's only available for DS so far, so it would only be fair :p

Edited by Moitteva
removed IC/morality

btw, for the sith warrior, wouldn't it be epic if Jaesa was actually SGRA-available for LS? I mean, she's only available for DS so far, so it would only be fair :p

I made the LS Jaesa choice for my SW (he's redeeming himself), so it would be nice to get to romance her at all, as I'm planning to play a female fully-DS SW later. :D I don't really know her personality much, so it's hard for me to say whether she'd be a good candidate for SGR or not.

Personally, I just hope that all the current OGR companions are available for SGRs. From what I've seen so far, the interactions with those companions are deeper and more interesting, even in non-romance missions, than those who aren't romance options. ...and there's the fact that, since they were designed to be romanceable, a lot of the things those companions say sounds like flirting whether it is or not.

I swear, reading that Elara flirts with the female Trooper earlier in this thread has me really wanting to play my female Trooper, though not (yet, hopefully) being able to reciprocate is keeping me from it. :o She hardly seems to notice my male Trooper at all, though I might not be far enough yet. Oi.

My first ever Bioware game was KOTOR, and I about fell off my chair when I could romance Juhani as a female Revan! And it was only available to female PCs. It was awesome. And while I wished Bastila could've had a romance option with fem!Revan too, I loved that they included it. Edited by Moitteva
removing quoted removed post

I find this whole thread funny. I can see SGR's being tolerated/accepted in the republic side, but persecuted and ridiculed on the empire side. I doubt BW will follow that trend in it's implementation.

Relationships in this game atm are shallow, little entertaining cutscenes that have little impact on the game ( u get companion gifts occasionally). This isn't gonna make a big splash unless the system is ramped up a bit. The SWG sandboxers, SGR advocates, and BW groupies are more than welcome to join the OGR crowd in our 20 seconds of frivolity and the occasional companion gift. Just don't be surprised if you don't feel very satisfied that you got what you want.

Edited by xxBreemenxx

I find this whole thread funny. I can see SGR's being tolerated/accepted in the republic side, but persecuted and ridiculed on the empire side. I doubt BW will follow that trend in it's implementation.

Relationships in this game atm are shallow, little entertaining cutscenes that have little impact on the game ( u get companion gifts occasionally). This isn't gonna make a big splash unless the system is ramped up a bit. The SWG sandboxers, SGR advocates, and BW groupies are more than welcome to join the OGR crowd in our 20 seconds of frivolity and the occasional companion gift. Just don't be surprised if you don't feel very satisfied that you got what you want.

At least we'll have finally had the opportunity to assess that for ourselves.

At least we'll have finally had the opportunity to assess that for ourselves.

Technically we've always had the opportunity, you've just been waiting on the ones you want to be available lol. I'm still waiting for the possibility of getting some Forex action myself so i can totally see where you're coming from.

Edited by xxBreemenxx

Technically we've always had the opportunity, you've just been waiting on the ones you want to be available lol. I'm still waiting for the possibility of getting some Forex action myself so i can totally see where you're coming from.

Technically we've always had the opportunity to pursue OGRAs, you mean. I can't explore a romance with Kira on my JK because my JK is female, and I don't particularly feel like levelling a male JK just to see one portion of story content. I see no reason why I should have to. And when SGRAs come out I won't have to - but until then, no, we don't all have the same opportunities.

That was my point. You just don't want to. Nothing wrong with that.

Well, given that the developers very specifically stated that they're not just going to flip switches and make OGRAs SGRA-compatible, the content that's put in will presumably actually differ from OGRAs. I do see your point, you don't feel the relationship system has either depth nor consequence, and maybe they'll do something about that - but currently non-heterosexual relationships aren't possible, so while I could create a male JK and see what the heterosexual relationship with Kira is like, I can't see what a same gender relationship with Kira is like. Nor can you, for that matter. And maybe it really would just be a female model snogging the same NPC followed by a fade-to-black but as the developers refuse to even give us teasers we can only guess.

<shrugs> Implementing SGRAs is one thing. Increasing the depth and scope of RAs in general is another matter; maybe that'll be next on the so-called 'Homosexual Agenda'. Personally I don't think there's any such agenda (and no, I realise you didn't say there is, I'm just rambling), but if I am part of an agenda and didn't know it then I want a uniform, dammit. Or at least a t-shirt.

Edited by Kioma

Well, given that the developers very specifically stated that they're not just going to flip switches and make OGRAs SGRA-compatible, the content that's put in will presumably actually differ from OGRAs. I do see your point, you don't feel the relationship system has either depth nor consequence, and maybe they'll do something about that - but currently non-heterosexual relationships aren't possible, so while I could create a male JK and see what the heterosexual relationship with Kira is like, I can't see what a same gender relationship with Kira is like. Nor can you, for that matter. And maybe it really would just be a female model snogging the same NPC followed by a fade-to-black but as the developers refuse to even give us teasers we can only guess.

<shrugs> Implementing SGRAs is one thing. Increasing the depth and scope of RAs in general is another matter; maybe that'll be next on the so-called 'Homosexual Agenda'. Personally I don't think there's any such agenda (and no, I realise you didn't say there is, I'm just rambling), but if I am part of an agenda and didn't know it then I want a uniform, dammit. Or at least a t-shirt.

agreed - even on the t-shirt. (it almost beats the 'I'm not gay, my boyfriend is' one, especially since I'm female :p)

I just really really really do want to have corso sending my guy totally cute not-romantic 'poems'. he's so adorably dorky, which makes me glad I did decide on rolling a female smuggler, but... but... y'know. it's just not the same! (even if some people see it differently, I play games for the stories too, and they stick with me... I love that part of the game, even if it's just little hints and jabs and jealous companions when I flirt with other npcs)

I just really really really do want to have corso sending my guy totally cute not-romantic 'poems'. he's so adorably dorky, which makes me glad I did decide on rolling a female smuggler, but... but... y'know. it's just not the same! (even if some people see it differently, I play games for the stories too, and they stick with me... I love that part of the game, even if it's just little hints and jabs and jealous companions when I flirt with other npcs)

Exactly. :D The thing is, the companions really make this game for me. After years of playing WoW and adventuring alllllll over the world by my lonesome, having someone else makes a huge difference. (Joining groups notwithstanding, that's different.) I find myself looking forward to the companions' missions and story bits as much as, if not more, than the class story stuff. I just got my Imperial Agent to the point where he gets his ship, and the 'chat' mission with Kaliyo around that time was both hilarious and interesting.

Some might say the romance storylines don't amount to much. I really don't care. The fact that they exist adds more to one of my favorite aspects of the game. And seeing as how I like to play both female and male characters and I'm not interested in the romance storylines for male companions, not being able to do any romance storylines on my female characters really takes away from the game for me. Makes me very, very glad BioWare is putting in SGRs.

It might not seem like a big deal to some people, but it really is a game-changer for me.

Yeah, I also find the story of Bioware games to be the main reason why I like them. If someone forced me to choose between SWToR/Mass Effect/Dragon Age without combat mechanics or without story choices, then I'd rather play the games without combat mechanics. That said, I prefer playing the total package.

And also, playing a woman to romance a guy completely removes the appeal for me. It's not because I want to be difficult or anything, it just does.

I'm playing ME3 these days. Already after the first couple of chapters the storyline had me laughing, misty eyed and turned on at several different occasions. I used to wonder if computer games would ever have to story telling power to move me like a movie can, and ME3 has answered that question for me. They can. :D

Dont get mad at me but is there actually anything about homosexuality in STar Wars? I dont think it exists in SW universe.

I did some research and couldnt find a thing about it, even lucas mentioned this so why would anyone implement something that does not exist into the game?

Sorry again if im wrong.

@down

Nahh im not interested, I was just wondering why would anyone implements something that does not exist but now it makes sense so.. thx ;)

Edited by Nicejoke

Dont get mad at me but is there actually anything about homosexuality in STar Wars? I dont think it exists in SW universe.

I did some research and couldnt find a thing about it, even lucas mentioned this so why would anyone implement something that does not exist into the game?

Sorry again if im wrong.

3. It doesn't belong in Star Wars

Not only are there previous examples of such relationships in Star Wars, it would not matter if there weren't. This game has every right to add to existing Star Wars canon, and has done so liberally, just as it's predecessors have done. One variant of this is the "no romance belongs in Star Wars", which is a ridiculous statement on it's own, and for which I refer you to #1.

There are some quote in these thread about where exactly in the SW universe there are homosexuality, but I'm not going to search for it. If you're really interested, you can do so yourself.

Sorry again if im wrong.

@down

Nahh im not interested, I was just wondering why would anyone implements something that does not exist but now it makes sense so.. thx ;)

Hey there,

Yeah, there are a couple places it comes up; the actual first KotOR game is one, where your female character can have a relationship with a female Jedi if you like, and there's also a book with two Mandalorian guys who are together, though I'm not sure of the name of it; like gekko said, it'll be somewhere in the last 80-odd pages, if you're really interested :D

However, even if that wasn't the case, can you really not think of anywhere the game has introduced something that you don't see anywhere in canon? Or in general, that the franchise hasn't been including more elements that nobody would have thought to put in back when it originally started? As an analogy, I could say "why is my female Sith able to end up in a coercive, abusive relationship with one of her male crewmembers when we don't see anything like that in SW?" Well... the reason you don't see it is because the writers took what they knew of the Sith and of human nature, and built on that to add something that'd make sense as a possibility for how we would want to play our characters. Likewise, they know that relationships exist in SW, that these people are pretty similar to us in a lot of ways, that love in SW doesn't recognize barriers of species... to go from that to thinking that there could be people for whom it wouldn't recognize barriers of gender either isn't a great leap.

In the end, putting this in is simply about giving us choices in how we play our characters, letting us make them really ours. "Letting us live out our Star Wars fantasy" is how I think the developers have put it previously. And that means putting in a full range of options, for all of us, as far as is possible.

Sorry again if im wrong.

@down

The first thing that comes up when I google "Star Wars Homosexuality" is the Wookiepedia entry for Goran Beviin who is a gay Mandalorian in the extended universe books - friend of Boba Fett and one-time mentor for Jaina Solo. He's married to his husband Medrit Vasur, they live on a farm.

It exists. And frankly, why wouldn't it? I'd be interested to know what Lucas said about it though, because I couldn't find anything about that.

I just have one question about the implementation. Is there going to be the ability to shut it off client side? Say a setting checkbox? I don't not want people to have the option. I think an MMO with options is the greatest thing ever. However, I also don't want to see it on my side. I don't want to lose affection points because I don't want to flirt. (I understand there are points I won't gain, but hey...) I just want the option to keep it off my computer. Is that going to be there, or is the issue going to be forced upon me?

I'm pretty sure there won't be a 'toggle' or whatever people are asking for, but obviously you will still get affection points for either choice.

(btw, my LS sith warrior got -1 for flirting with Jaesa because back then I didn't know you could only date her DS ;) )

if you don't want to flirt, then don't. the end.

Hello everyone,

We have recently removed a number of posts (and responses to those posts) that were straying into morality discussions.

As a gentle reminder: Due to the volatile nature of real-world political, moral and religious discussions, they are inappropriate for the forums.

This thread is for the discussion of the how and when of implementation of same gender romance in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. Comments or discussions that stray too far from this topic may be considered off-topic and removed.

Insults and Rude Comments - You may not agree with what someone says but we do expect you to be respectful of others and their opinions. Being rude to them and insulting them is never allowed.

Trolling - We highly encourage you to be constructive. Inflammatory posts that are meant to do nothing more than provoke strong, emotional negative reactions from others is not allowed.

Please use the flag button - If you come across a post that you think breaks the forum rules, please flag it so we can investigate it.

Ignore Feature - If you find you simply cannot get along with someone, please add them to your ignore list.

We thank you for your effort in keeping this discussion constructive and respectful.