No more color restrictions on crystals ?! Really ?

Gauvi

My only problem is I'm going to see everybody and their mother with a red sabre on Republic.

And everybody but me will have red sabres in Warzones.

Just not cool

Been to a warzone recently? I sometimes have a hard time knowing whom to pass the ball to when I have to think quickly. In one match, there was only one Sith on our team that used the red crystal; everyone else had green and blue. And at least two Jedi on the other team had dark robes and red sabres. Perhaps if they had a choice, more of them would use more... appropriate... colours.

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or any forum poster can be fixated on the small window presented in the movies and claim it as the "only Lore".

George Lucas said as much, that the movies are the only Lore that he concerns himself with and considers the EU to be its own lore, separate from the movies.

There is a link somewhere to the conversation, but I'm at work and don't have time to go looking for it.

George Lucas said as much, that the movies are the only Lore that he concerns himself with and considers the EU to be its own lore, separate from the movies.

There is a link somewhere to the conversation, but I'm at work and don't have time to go looking for it.

Yes, but that actually strengthens the no restriction camp argument in that the timeline for this game is 1000's of years prior to the movie events.

Fine,

So when do 20 meter space elves get added to the game.

lol, ok yeah youre exaggerating and you know it.

But either way, there are tons or species added all the time in SW ... how would that break lore? Apparently some of you need to learn the difference between a "lore break" and "lore you dont like".

Jedi being able to use red lightsabers is lore you dont like. 20 meter space elves is lore you wouldnt like. None of those break actual lore.

Once you accept the game is a not in any way tied to the movies and simply a part of the Expanded Universe you will probably have an easier time sleeping the next time that marauder takes you down with his blue light saber. There is nothing about this game that is G Canon, the setting the story, NOTHING. I don't understand why people are so concerned about minor details having to be G Canon when nothing else is. The game is so C Canon its not even funny and all and in most of C Canon there are all kinds of people using different light sabers. But please continue the nerd rage is going to get me through this slow work day.

Forget lore or preference and all that other junk. It was just nice to have a choice actually matter in this game that is supposedly made around choices and story. But for a while now they've been getting rid of any choice mattering at all so they might as well get rid of them all while they are at it I guess. Heck, might as well dump restrictions on gear as well.

out of interest, as i can't seem to find it.. someone told me Fett had a white lightsaber at some point in a book.. i think possibly star wars tales (he used a lightsaber against vader)

true? or was it another colour?

I personally welcome the lifting of restrictions, my sith has been slipping more and more to light as i impress talos drelik and i would like to keep my red until i get a pink.

anyways this game is what, 3000 years before the movies? i think it's quite concievable that maye the purple crystal source could have been mined out or destroyed by then resulting in only mace having a purple that he went great lengths to find. same for whites, pinks, black cores, natural reds, cyan... you name it.. maybe even the unicorn cystal of rainbow colour changing! yay!

Been to a warzone recently? I sometimes have a hard time knowing whom to pass the ball to when I have to think quickly. In one match, there was only one Sith on our team that used the red crystal; everyone else had green and blue. And at least two Jedi on the other team had dark robes and red sabres. Perhaps if they had a choice, more of them would use more... appropriate... colours.

I don't typically use appearances to know who to throw the ball to. I use the floating text above their head. It's always green.

Forget lore or preference and all that other junk. It was just nice to have a choice actually matter in this game that is supposedly made around choices and story. But for a while now they've been getting rid of any choice mattering at all so they might as well get rid of them all while they are at it I guess. Heck, might as well dump restrictions on gear as well.

Where your choices should matter is in the story. Not in what light saber you can use, something that disappointed me a lot was playing a dark side Jedi Knight there was a total of 2 times where my choices were reflected in the dialog and I wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread...

First time was after finishing Quesh I think where the Jedi I was taking missions from scolded me pretty badly about bulling our allies and my methods.

The Second was at the end of the class story after defeating the empire I was told the Jedi order could no longer ignore my fall to the dark side and I could not take my rightful place on the council despite my victory and justifiably so.

So your right choice should matter but it should matter more to the story itself not just what colour can my light saber be today.

Edited by Shadezilla

So your right choice should matter but it should matter more to the story itself not just what colour can my light saber be today.

You're right they should matter in the story first but they don't. Or at least not really. Which left dark/light side restrictions as one of the few choices that actually affected your character. But they are chipping away at those to. I didn't say color restrictions was the most important choice... just that it was one of the few left overall. Which I guess is fine if that's the direction they want to take the game. Just seem to remember them discussing how your choices mattered in the lead up hype of the game. To bad that wasn't true.

You're right they should matter in the story first but they don't. Or at least not really. Which left dark/light side restrictions as one of the few choices that actually affected your character. But they are chipping away at those to. I didn't say color restrictions was the most important choice... just that it was one of the few left overall. Which I guess is fine if that's the direction they want to take the game. Just seem to remember them discussing how your choices mattered in the lead up hype of the game. To bad that wasn't true.

So because Bioware failed to deliver on meaningful choices in the quest-lines and game-play, we should keep crystal alignments in place despite the fact that lore tells us otherwise?

I get that you are let down a little, I think we all were. That doesn't mean we should keep crystal restrictions in place.

Well I did have to buy a lot more companion gifts than I would have liked too that's something right? We basically agree, I appreciate the fact that color crystals are one of the few restrictions left and where you're coming from on that it just seems so artificial like an old western where you look at everyone's hats and go oh hes a bad dude his hat is black.... actions should say that.

Edited by Shadezilla

What about blaster bolt colors? In the movies and other games Imps tie fighters use green and Rebs use red.

Restrictions should be self imposed. I am playing a LS BH and want red bolts like in the movies.

SWG really had no problems without restrictions it is not as big of an issue as people think.

I think Lucas comment that they are light sabers not mood rings sums it up pretty clearly. The movies only restriction on using light sabers was supposed to be skill. Anyone can pick one up and use it but only force users are skilled enough to win a fight against a blaster with one (thus Lukes force use/blaster bolt blocking training on the Falcon). The color makes no difference.

It is also canon to keep and use sabers from fallen enemies without changing the crystal. Personally I think a sith with a LS crystal makes them more evil because you know they probably got it off the body of a fallen Jedi.

Edited by Rygel

You can't please anyone, it seems.

I don't want the colour restrictions.

I want my Assault Cannon to shoot out red bolts, or purple, definately NOT blue with black core.

Anyway, I am really glad they are taking the restrictions off. I want to be able to customise my characters the way I want them, so for a sentinel I always liked Blue, Red combo.

It's stupid how you can't use something because of your alignment.

Red should not be used by Jedi. THat is all.

Remember, in ROTS anakin massacred children with a blue lightsaber, so I see no reason why the sith can't do the same. ANd it makes more sense that the sith will use whatever they get their hands on to kill things. Jedi are a bit above that, and according to lore they don't have any real rule against red, it is just traditionally associated with the Sith and thus not used.

Just wanted to tack this on from later in the thread. This is how TOR's current restrictions would look if applied to Star Wars.

*I take you now to the famous Temple Slaughter scene from Ep. III. Anakin is boldly walking up the Jedi Temple stairs, flanked by an army of clone troopers. He approaches the door, reaches into his robes, pulls out his blue saber, and prepares to ignite it when...

... nothing happens?*

Clone trooper #1: Ruh-roh!

Clone trooper #3: He's got er... troubles 'getting it up,' I guess?

Clone trooper #1: Man, that's gotta create some tension in the sack with him and Padmomma or whatever.

Clone trooper #2: Hehe... be quiet, I want to hear this.

[Anakin COMM] Master, I have run into some issues.

*The clones snicker.*

[sidious COMM] What is it, my young apprentice? Are the Jedi dead? Is the temple aflame?

[Anakin COMM] No, master my... lightsaber won't turn on.

*More clone laughter.*

[sidious COMM] Oh, I forgot to tell you. You can't use that lightsaber anymore because you're a bad guy now. Big oopsies on my part. Come back to my office and I'll give you a red crystal.

*Anakin leaves in a huff.*

Clone trooper #1: Ciggy break! AFK!

Clone trooper #2: Hehe... stupid sith.

Clone trooper #3: Shut up, dude... any more darkside points and you won't be able to use that blaster anymore.

Thanks For That Epic ROFLOL :D

I will be very disappointed if red becomes available to light and green and blue to dark. Regardless of some of the arguments based on "EU" material that I've read on these forums, these color to alignment restrictions ARE iconic and frankly I think the game will become silly if they take this step.

There is nothing preventing either faction from gaining these colors...it is an alignment issue. That is enough of a means for either side to access the other's crystals. Removing all alignment restrictions for these colors is really weak on Bioware's part...and if they don't have the confidence to put their foot down and control their own game this early, it doesn't bode well for the future IMO.

What about blaster bolt colors? In the movies and other games Imps tie fighters use green and Rebs use red.

Those are in space combat, and if you have played any of the space missions, Imperial ships do use green and Republic red.

You can't please anyone, it seems.

I don't want the colour restrictions.

I want my Assault Cannon to shoot out red bolts, or purple, definately NOT blue with black core.

Anyway, I am really glad they are taking the restrictions off. I want to be able to customise my characters the way I want them, so for a sentinel I always liked Blue, Red combo.

It's stupid how you can't use something because of your alignment.

This isn't about pleasing people. It is about destroying one of the iconic visual aspects of Star Wars so some people can play with colors on their weapons. It is idiotic and frankly EXTREMELY disappointing.

Not sure why any crystals should be limited to a specific side. I'm pretty sure Anakin was using a blue crystal when he was officially dark side.

Also... if we're going to follow lore... how come we can't switch sides? How come we can't start as Jedi and switch to Sith... then go back through redemption?

How come I can't swim?

How come BH's can't fly high?

How come I respawn when I die?

How come I don't have to eat?

How come...?

How come...?

How come...?

Seriously, it's a change to bring balance to both sides. When one side has something cooler, it's not fair. Why don't you worry more about content being more challenging and less buggy and spend a little less time worrying about what color crystal some other guy has...

i dont mind the no-restrictions. Let people play the way they want.

If it makes you happy to be a light sider with a red saber, so be it. Maybe their rp story is it is their father's saber and he was dark side and now they are redeeming his memory by using his saber for good.

whatever, quit worrying about what your neighbor is doing.

Edited by ademnus