SWTOR vs SWG

PeacefulViolence

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is pretty much the worst logic I've read in a while ^

WHats bad logic is thinking bad ideas are great to copy, SWG was full of BAD ideas and hence why it FAILED

You didn't like the game so that means NOTHING in it was good? That's just silly.

The game did poorly in everything you can mention, it had the smallest player base in the history of MMOs . If it was a GOOD MMO it would still be going with other games that came out around its time ........FF11 and WoW are stiill P2P and going !

Why would this game suddenly need to become "slow and poainful" to implement something good from SWG, like a good space game, or a good crafting system?

Again , you think it would be profitable to bring in "FAILED IDEAS" from a "DEADGAME"! I am happy they didn't ! You are never going to see a MMO company say "Well even though this game failed , we are gonna use its ideas in our new MMO ! LMAO

They don't need to make EVERYTHING in the game like SWG to borrow some of it's better ideas.

The Game FAILED , why would they BORROW IDEAS? WHat do you guys not get about FAILED !?

You people act there's two choices, WoW clone or SWG clone :confused:

Huh? How is this game a WoW clone ? You can jump? WoW is about ORCs and Elves and other oldschool MMO monsters, SWTOR is about STARWARS

The best MMO would take the best ideas from all other games.

Best MMOs take IDEAS from GOOD MMOs! Seeing how SWG had the worst sales and account/player numbers , I am sure it was a Dumb Program that everyone will continue to ignore like they did when it was a ACTIVE GAME . SWG SUCKED !

Maybe you just haven't thought it out !

Edited by mefit

The strength of SWG(pre-NGE) was its social aspects such as player driven cities and economy. The nature of a sandbox game turns off many players both because of its learning curve and because it lacks direction and is not solo friendly. Players that enjoyed the game had to create their own path and be active socially to thrive. The server I played on Eclipse has such a strong community that you felt more part of a society than just a game.

Take the updated servers, updated graphics, storylines and speaking npcs.

Now add those to SWG.

Then you have a game............

SOE gave SWG 7 years , it never was able to pull in the numbers . The poeple who created it failed at their jobs ! I am sure SWG will or does have a Private server out there for all those SWG players to enjoy ...................OH WAIT they would rather cry on here !

I have news for you SWG players, your Characters are all deleted . So the story has ended.................wait SWG had no story lol , well ...............I guess you characters boring life has ended would be a better way to put it !

Its abit unfair to compare SWG to Tor. SWG had 7 years to evolve and Tor has been out 2 months.

Those who played SWG, myself included for 7 years till the very last log out will miss alot about it, mainly the social aspects. But for those who have come to Tor from other games and have never played SWG, then they wont miss the SWG features as SWG was despite it flaws a game that stood out from the rest for its social features, crafting system, player cities and housing etc.

I have tried Star trek online, Lotro, WoW, Age of Connon and they all feel very familier to each other and that goes fo Tor also. UI, Crafting, Auction houses etc. There is alot of copy/paste from 1 game to another going on. Its not a bad thing to copy something good but no other game since SWG has looked into the games great systems as i mentioned ie cities/crafting.

Tor is very young. Guild banks are in the next update i believe. Also guild ships is something they are planning. It needs time to evolve but for the most part im enjoying it. Alot of us came across from SWG and have the same guild name (Unity) here and about 200 members so that has helped the transition alot. I loved hosting events in SWG, something you cant really do here as no storyteller stuff or freedom but so far ive held Cantina Social events and this weekend have a Hide And Seek event planned on Nar Shaddaa Prominade so we are getting there

The strength of SWG(pre-NGE) was its social aspects such as player driven cities and economy. The nature of a sandbox game turns off many players both because of its learning curve and because it lacks direction and is not solo friendly. Players that enjoyed the game had to create their own path and be active socially to thrive. The server I played on Eclipse has such a strong community that you felt more part of a society than just a game.

^ I can understand and relate to this !

Lol because swg was really hard, but let's insult a guy who thinks swg is garbage.

Its funny because I played FF11 for 7 years and can state that playing it and taking a YEAR to master a craft and months to get a Highlevel job was a complete waste of my time !

Not only did you have to master 1 craft but you had to level subcrafts and join endless grinding HighLevel Mobs that took camping for days and were crazy to claim .

I am sorry people miss games like this ^ but even FF11 last 2 years has made big changes to its own game . SWG tried but what it had to offer no one wanted to play but a small community of players ! Congrats for sticking around , but do not try to wash that garbage down my throat .

Lets be happy SWTOR did not go in the same path as SWG and move on !

TOR does need better social system but anyother idea from SWG was saddly a fail !

SOE gave SWG 7 years , it never was able to pull in the numbers . The poeple who created it failed at their jobs ! I am sure SWG will or does have a Private server out there for all those SWG players to enjoy ...................OH WAIT they would rather cry on here !

I have news for you SWG players, your Characters are all deleted . So the story has ended.................wait SWG had no story lol , well ...............I guess you characters boring life has ended would be a better way to put it !

No One is crying.

For those who mock SWG read the following. This is just before the announcement to close the game:

Server transfers- Closed to some servers inc farstar due to server heavy

Guild- Given SWG's Guild cap was just 500 members, we had to remove players who went 70 days without logging on as we were always at 495-500 members with 97% activity. Upto 60 members online at one time. That was just our guild alone.

Player Cities- We had 2, main Prometheus had over 150 citizens for 5 years running. SWG cured the curse of ghost cities, if a player didnt log on for 90 days, thier house would be packed and the city loses them as a citzen. So thats 150 current players as citizens

Shops- Our city had 24+ Active Shops. Always busy. Sales were great. Mall had upto 120 vendors inside it from those with 1-2 vendors each and didnt need a shop.

Events- Hosted regular events open to server. Large turnouts from lots of guilds

SWGCraft- Updated daily by crafters for crafters

Thats just our experience.

I/We are not mourning SWG, life goes on but we are just recognising some of the great aspects to the game.

Tor also has some great aspects. We have moved on now. SWG is the past, We are now here in Tor and Lotro of the guild and look forward to Tors updates over the next few years

No One is crying.

For those who mock SWG read the following. This is just before the announcement to close the game:

Server transfers- Closed to some servers inc farstar due to server heavy

Guild- Given SWG's Guild cap was just 500 members, we had to remove players who went 70 days without logging on as we were always at 495-500 members with 97% activity. Upto 60 members online at one time. That was just our guild alone.

Player Cities- We had 2, main Prometheus had over 150 citizens for 5 years running. SWG cured the curse of ghost cities, if a player didnt log on for 90 days, thier house would be packed and the city loses them as a citzen. So thats 150 current players as citizens

Shops- Our city had 24+ Active Shops. Always busy. Sales were great. Mall had upto 120 vendors inside it from those with 1-2 vendors each and didnt need a shop.

Events- Hosted regular events open to server. Large turnouts from lots of guilds

SWGCraft- Updated daily by crafters for crafters

Thats just our experience.

I/We are not mourning SWG, life goes on but we are just recognising some of the great aspects to the game.

Tor also has some great aspects. We have moved on now. SWG is the past, We are now here in Tor and Lotro of the guild and look forward to Tors updates over the next few years

Don't forget it cost 50dollars to transfer

Don't forget those servers considered Heavy were servers that players moved to , to have social abilities

And lets not forget because the game was LACKING content , players had to make there own !

Crafting your own house seemed cool in concept , but even when you look at the pictures of most housing , the graphics were horrible and laggy .

I hope we get things that increase Socialing , and maybe better customizations in full (character or otherwise) , but these are not MUST HAVES ....atleast just yet !

What a load of rubbish. Trying to claim TOR is an evolution of RPG gaming? I think not. TOR looks pretty and sounds pretty, but about the only thing it has that other MMOs don't have (or at lesat didn't, but they are starting to catch on) is voice acting and choices that impact your story.

You know, I'm playing NWN2 at the moment (because I'm growing a little bored of TOR) and I agree with you. IF this game was indeed an evolution of RPG games of the past then it would have little touches that have been missing such as Traps and Trigger mechanisms in instances and Named weapons that have better stats than standard ones.

In some cases WoW is actually more like an RPG than some of the later MMO's are. that's because over the years MMO devs have been eroding the concept and formula that makes up an RPG experience, in favour of getting products out faster and easier.

Now we're left with instances that are nothing more than fancy rooms for tank and spank boss encounters. Maybe involving a couple of button pushes in some of them.

In short, if Bioware TRUELY want to put the RPG back into their new games, then they have to give them depth and sophistication. And right now, TOR doesn't have much in the way of depth.

Edited by Tarka

SWG2 would fail.

SWG was never a good game. People made it good because of the sandbox elements. Seriously, you could do the same on the Sims Online minus the Star Wars theme.

People need to realize that SWG was a bad game from the get go... it never had more than 150K subs... I too loved SWG but to even remotely lie to myself that it was the best game?

no..

It was the best Social Experience that i've lived on a game. Correct and that's about it.

SWG2 would fail.

SWG was never a good game. People made it good because of the sandbox elements. Seriously, you could do the same on the Sims Online minus the Star Wars theme.

People need to realize that SWG was a bad game from the get go... it never had more than 150K subs... I too loved SWG but to even remotely lie to myself that it was the best game?

no..

It was the best Social Experience that i've lived on a game. Correct and that's about it.

So why does that mean SWG2 would fail? You said it yourself... People made it good because of the social elements. What if they took a modern MMO, like TOR, and added a bunch of social elements to it, like player cities (or fleets as the case may be - there is a lot of room on that galactic map), a player-driven economy that actually relies on the players trading with each other instead of having vendors for everything, even unlimited group sizes (or at least limits of about 20 or so) letting people team up for content on a huge scale. Throw in some world PvP (and no, I'm not a PvP fan) and some persistant objectives (planetary control, etc) and you have an excellent game.

I'm not sure why people are so quick to compare SWTOR to SWG ... okay, maybe I do, but it's not for a good reason. It's like comparing Jedi Outcast and Rogue Squadron because they're both single player star wars games.

SWTOR is a theme-park and SWG is a sandbox, and no amount of bickering from either side of the argument is going to change the views of the other side. Some people prefer the structured environment of the theme-park mmo's, and others like to be able to influence the world around them. This is why Eve and WoW are making millions, if not billions, every month.

In short, don't argue, especially in the internet for 14 pages, about opinion. You just look silly.

P.S. Just spent some time trying to read through this thread and got bored after around four pages, but I'd like to point something out to the people who didn't play SWG way back when. The game itself was a solid and thriving sandbox mmo. Eventually though, the boys at SOE and Lucas Arts saw how much money WoW was bringing in and, like any other business, wanted in on that action.

Unfortunately, instead of making an entirely new game aimed at that market, they tried to convert SWG into something it absolutely was not. So, instead of bringing in those numbers that they wanted, they ended up alienating their original community and presenting new players with an extremely buggy (Any Creature Handlers remember post-CU?) game in which both the sandbox and the theme-park elements where conflicting and only half realized. Then they did it again, except to a larger degree (though, if memory serves, it was less buggy. Maybe I just didn't stick around long enough).

This is why it failed.

Only thing that really irked me was getting credits and buying things that costed like 100mil when the seller already had like 800mil already. It took me forever to get to 100mil, so getting a **** load of credits was a pain in the *** and I hardly bought anything unless I really wanted too...but again people made ridiculous prices. I understand some items were rare.....but really? 500mil for a hologram? Or a speeder? Or a jetpack? Come on now...

In this game its kinda better, there isn't things being sold for ridiculous amount of prices(least on my sever) it seems much like the cantina scene in a new hope.

"10,000? We could almost buy our own ship for that."- Luke

Ya....it seems that 10,000 was a lot. In SWG that was piss change, in SW:TOR it has some value.

First there is absolutely nothing to compare this two games.

SWTOR is singleplayer game with few instances and non existing endgame content. Grind for best armor in 4 3 warzones and 1 planet is not a game it is like cage. mindless and meaningless killing for what? Armor set, and what will you do after you get best armor/equipment? Nothing. (so far I have 3 battle master armor pieces)

In SWTOR more than in any other MMO I have tried there is one terrible sense of selfishness, people are not socializing, they don't' have place where to do that, people leave warzones if they lose, and worst of all you cant help anyone with your old gear.

To be honest I don't understand why this game is put in MMO category of games.

SWG was true MMO, It had player cities, it have planets to discover, it had epic surveying/mining/crafting engines. People in SWG mattered, contacts, friends. I am so sick of SWTOR that I don't want to continue writing what SWG all had.

I am just sad that this is replaced to SWG.

Maybe you just haven't thought it out !

All your big red letters and over reactions don't make your logic any better.

SWG failed because it was poorly run, not because every single idea and system in it was bad, and if you can't understand that I have to wonder why you even bother trying to post on the forums. Your mind is just far too closed to even try and have a real discussion.

Edited by Spymaster

All your big red letters and over reactions don't make your logic any better.

SWG failed because it was poorly run, not because every single idea and system in it was bad, and if you can't understand that I have to wonder why you even bother trying to post on the forums. Your mind is just far too closed to even try and have a real discussion.

Dude by your logic you are saying that a small community knows better than the majority , it does not !

I have tried it and it sucked , what you remember and had fun doing was not fun for everyone. It was styled for a minority of people it seemed and that was not enough to keep the doors open !

And to reply to what you said about forum post , I cannot understand why a fail topic is even allowed to dirty up the forums about a game that sucked .

First there is absolutely nothing to compare this two games.

SWTOR is singleplayer game with few instances and non existing endgame content. Grind for best armor in 4 3 warzones and 1 planet is not a game it is like cage. mindless and meaningless killing for what? Armor set, and what will you do after you get best armor/equipment? Nothing. (so far I have 3 battle master armor pieces)

In SWTOR more than in any other MMO I have tried there is one terrible sense of selfishness, people are not socializing, they don't' have place where to do that, people leave warzones if they lose, and worst of all you cant help anyone with your old gear.

To be honest I don't understand why this game is put in MMO category of games.

SWG was true MMO, It had player cities, it have planets to discover, it had epic surveying/mining/crafting engines. People in SWG mattered, contacts, friends. I am so sick of SWTOR that I don't want to continue writing what SWG all had.

I am just sad that this is replaced to SWG.

I will agreee that socially SWTOR is lacking , it allows players to be selfish and there for people are true to what they are . With a few of us willing to help eachother out and the others just running over us to the top !

I wish SWG was open but I have read SWG forums and people were bashing it just like you guys are Bashing TOR , if you do not like TOR just move on........

SWG people did not support it when it was live and now that its not supprisingly down , you all want this game to be turned to be the same ............I am sorry but what SWG had was not good for the MAjority of MMO players .

In the end SOE was not making enough money to even consider SWG to be F2P being there was no longer a market for it.

TOR is here and I as a StarWars fan am happy that SWG did not take down the possibility of TOR to come out and I am happy with the product that is TOR . You guys were bashing it since it was beta and are not giving it a chance to grow before you rag on it. There for I am not going to show Mercy for the Fail that is SWG .

Dude by your logic you are saying that a small community knows better than the majority , it does not !

How the **** is THAT my logic? You're not even close.

My logic is saying that SWG had a small community because it was so poorly handled... but to take that fact and turn it into "SWG had nothing good in it because it failed".... is complete nonsense.

Plenty of small time or even failed games have great ideas.... But if a game is bad in a few major areas it's still not going to do well no matter how great those ideas are.

To simply look at the over all success of SWG and blindly declare it couldn't have had ANYTHING good in it because it's subs were low is just a complete lack of common sense.

Edited by Spymaster

And that's the problem. People look at this like we have to pick one or the other instead of taking the best elements from both and making the best game possible.

NOTHING WAS GOOD ABOUT

SWG ,

GET OVER IT

SWG never got a award , never got much attention , and was not really cared about when it closed. 10k players is not enough to run a large SCALE MMO like SWG !

Edited by Aurrelio

What if SWG 2 came out, and it was sandbox 2.0, basically redefining the way sandbox games work, ship, city, lightsaber creation is all still there, but expanded, sort of like EVE Online, the amount of freedom players have in that game is just out of this world, if they made a SWG 2 game with similar features i would play it in a heartbeat, i already wish this game was more like SWG and an SWG 2 would be a dream come true for me.

Another SWG lover, yay!

How the **** is THAT my logic? You're not even close.

My logic is saying that SWG had a small community because it was so poorly handled... but to take that fact and turn it into "SWG had nothing good in it because it failed".... is complete nonsense.

Plenty of small time or even failed games have great ideas.... But if a game is bad in a few major areas it's still not going to do well no matter how great those ideas are.

To simply look at the over all success of SWG and blindly declare it couldn't have had ANYTHING good in it because it's subs were low is just a complete lack of common sense.

Good games have large active subs. heck UO private servers had more active subs than SWG !

ACTIVE SUBS MAKE A GAME . not the graphics !

SWG had low ammount of SUBS ............GAME OVER !

TOR is here , SOE will never do a SWG2 . They no longer have the rights to do so either .

They do have the rights to currently open SWG but you do not see them doing that do you ?

They could have kept it up , you do not see them doing it do you ?

Was no money in SWG

Was just a minority of players in SWG

NO PROFIT WAS BEING MADE !

Good games have large active subs.!

Ok?

I never said SWG was a "good game" that's not even what we're talking about. SWG was not a "good game" at all in fact, I explained this already. It had a lot of flaws and was poorly run.

It DID however have a lot of great ideas, some of them worked well and some would have worked well if they'd been put into the game sooner or had been more polished at launch.

What you STILL don't seem to understand is that even bad games can and do sometimes have great ideas.