SWTOR vs SWG

PeacefulViolence

I actually like both games a lot. I know SWG kept my playing for a long time, and I'm not sure that this game will do that unless they fix the PvP end game. But this game still has a lot of potential in my opinion.

I just wish they would take some of the really great things about SWG, clean them up, and use them here, instead of taking so many of their ideas from WoW.

I honestly think thats what everyone wants... You could even keep the combat from this game, but the rest of the SWG elements should have been implemented.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously TOR has more subscribers the MMO community now is much bigger then it was in 03/04 So duh, of course theres more people.

If swg came out today, are you telling me that it would break a million subs? I really hope thats not the case. If you look at mmo subs that came out since swg, i think only 3 has over a million subs.

This game will flop and won't live half as long as SWG. SWG 2 would have lived twice as long. Sry SWG was too complicated for you.

What made swg complicated? You mean the nge that was utterly an embrassment and horrible in design. That was complicated. Please dont say pre-cu or cu was complicated either when they've been dead for years now.

I played SWG from out of gate all the way to Mustafar.... With all it incarnations in between. I loved the sandbox aspects of the game. I loved crafting. I loved being able to take a pinch of this skill set and a dab of that set to make your character your own.

I HATED THE GHOST TOWNS!!

But the community of SWG was far better than what is on SWTOR primarily because of a simple thing called "CHAT BUBBLES". You could start a conversation with people in general areas with out a lot of effort and yes... spam your business or guild.

The local cantinas had character. The patrons got to know each other. there was a sense of community in a local area. You could run in a cantina and ask " Anyone seen Wong?" and the room would not only see it but reply.

BioWare says they tried chat bubbles in BETA and it created "performance issues". So they left them out. They install 20 miles of useless walkways to enter/exit a ship instead of a gathering point that people could use to chat it up and wait for a shuttle. Instead we slog along listening to mindless ramblings of the stale humorless companion.

The Cantinas in SWTOR are empty and lifeless, you cannot sit anywhere ( but I swear they said you could ), there's nothing that binds the players in this game. Not even Guilds! Have you EVER heard of a MMO where guilds had no gathering hall?

Say what you want about SWG... tell me again how it was a dismal failure. Tell me how it never made money. How it never was anything but a borefest. It was a lot of things to a lot of people, but it had a community that had a heart and a feel that WoW nor SWTOR can duplicate because when you run on tracks you never stop to smell the roses.

Another Greaty post that I think says it very well....u could talk to folks...even the Imps or Rebs no matter...and it had REAL Crafting and housing as well as Guilds, I loved the PvP and the bounty system, I also played from launch till death, and miss it even now.

It did have community...it was Star Wars, what IMO was Star Wars, Luke, Old Ben, And yes Ole Darth...I had a Falcon and loved the Jump to LS..and all the other add ons...I loved my Wookie toon and my housing, my Harvesters...there was always something to do and yea the Canteen was always full of folks and we did know each other for the most part.

I am enjoying this game but no not as much...and I still play AoC as I am still building my city there and enjoy all the folks i have met and talk to in chat....something I cannot do here really.

And I like many others would go back to SWG it was a great game for all the years I played.

If swg came out today, are you telling me that it would break a million subs? I really hope thats not the case. If you look at mmo subs that came out since swg, i think only 3 has over a million subs.

You are correct. There are hundreds of MMO's and only 3 have kept over a million subscribers.

SWG came out just before WoW came out - they didn't play then - they wouldn't play now. Nuff said.

I've never played SWG but I can say I hit level 20 on ToR and was already bored with this game. It feels like just another console game. I do like playing console, but I like to immerse myself in the MMO universe that I'm in. I want to do other things than to just fight constantly, but there is nothing BUT fighting in this game.

I LIKE player housing that you can decorate. I like guild halls. Player bounties would be awesome. I heard about them from someone that had played SWG. I like the little side things that you can do other than grinding.

I think they had this grand idea they were trying to achieve, but fell short (at least for me). It doesn't FEEL like a 'real' world. I have no attachment to my characters. It's just one more cookie cutter character that you can't customize outside of some combat gear mods and which skills you want to upgrade.

The story line so far is interesting, but I wonder how they can keep that up.

I'm bored with it because ALL there is for me to do is grind, pretty much always by myself.

I am probably going to go for 50 and, like Rift, leave. I have a few months paid for, so I might stop in and see if they flesh out the game any, because right now, it's just not doing it for me.

What made swg complicated? You mean the nge that was utterly an embrassment and horrible in design. That was complicated. Please dont say pre-cu or cu was complicated either when they've been dead for years now.

What is with all of you people talking about the NGE. No one cares about the NGE and to 95% of SWG players that was not the real SWG. Take the NGE out of this discussion, no one is referencing it.

What is with all of you people talking about the NGE. No one cares about the NGE and to 95% of SWG players that was not the real SWG. Take the NGE out of this discussion, no one is referencing it.

why wouldnt nge be discuss since nge is what made swg what it is today. you cant disregard the nge what so ever due to you hating it when it lasted 6 years, where as pre-cu only lasted 2. It was never really specify what era of swg we are talking about it in this post, but based on the fact that the nge lasted 6 years i assumed thats what everyone is talking about. Its so sad that people have such high feelings of the pre-cu since its been dead for that long, yet it was the most incomplete game ever to be launched.

why wouldnt nge be discuss since nge is what made swg what it is today.

Because the NGE was the nail in SWG's coffin, and talking about it, as if that's the SWG players enjoyed proves you don't know what you're talking about.

SWG had a LOT of great features at launch, sadly they made some really bad mistakes with that game... launching full of bugs and broken classes, no real content, and a great idea but horribly implemented "end game" Jedi system hurt the game.... really bad customer service and trying to change it to be more like WoW is what killed it.

The problem I have around here is that some of you people seem to think SWG's failure is a good argument against TOR using any of SWG's ideas, no matter how good they may have been.

Just because a game did enough wrong to waste it's potential doesn't mean it had nothing good about it.

Further, just because WoW is the most successful game of all time doesn't mean that a new game will do well by cloning WoW. Frankly, it's this type of thinking...

"WoW makes money so all MMOs should just be like WoW to also make money"

that is ruining the MMO genre, and causing a good number of MMOs to fail.

Edited by Spymaster

Because the NGE was the nail in SWG's coffin, and talking about it, as if that's the SWG players enjoyed proves you don't know what you're talking about.

SWG had a LOT of great features at launch, sadly they made some really bad mistakes with that game... launching full of bugs and broken classes, no real content, and a great idea but horribly implemented "end game" Jedi system hurt the game.... really bad customer service and trying to change it to be more like WoW is what killed it.

The problem I have around here is that some of you people seem to think SWG's failure is a good argument against TOR using any of SWG's ideas, no matter how good they may have been.

Just because a game did enough wrong to waste it's potential doesn't mean it had nothing good about it.

Further, just because WoW is the most successful game of all time doesn't mean that a new game will do well by cloning WoW. Frankly, it's this type of thinking...

"WoW makes money so all MMOs should just be like WoW to also make money"

that is ruining the MMO genre, and causing a good number of MMOs to fail.

Let me guess though, you quit right before the nge, didnt you? I dont disagree with you about how the earlier days were better than the nge, but to say that not one swg player didn't enjoy nge is bogus and a little misinformed. The nge lasted 5 years after, I dont see many people who hate it to play it until the game dies. What great features did swg have at launch? most of it was added pub 3 and on up until the curb and what people claim to be universal great features of swg was added later in the games life.

/agree

Sadly, the developers of TOR don't seem to have learned much from SWG at all.

The game sucked , had nothing to give ! Thank god that TOR has nothing of SWG or it would die just like SWG slow and painfully !

Was dead before expanions and was dead after . Heck SOE didn't even want to option it for F2P , being there was no hope for it.

Thankyou Bioware for not bringing in any of the crap features SWG had !

Starwars Galaxies PRE NGE had alot more features in it then SWTOR does by a long shot. SWG Pre NGE was one of the best MMO's I had ever played. TOR is an "ok" game, but the developers could of been a little more creative.

I'm 31 years old and I don't think gamers my own age and older who have been playing MMO's as long as I have want to keep playing the same WoW formula over and over in other MMO's. It boils my blood that developers keep using the same old formula from an old game that is almost a decade old to make easy money. It's boring, and it's old.

Let's hope this new MMO called Archage is a little more interesting. You can crafting your own ships, and even the vegetation grows like it would in real life. I hope it's going to be a descent game.

The game sucked , had nothing to give ! Thank god that TOR has nothing of SWG or it would die just like SWG slow and painfully !

Was dead before expanions and was dead after . Heck SOE didn't even want to option it for F2P , being there was no hope for it.

Thankyou Bioware for not bringing in any of the crap features SWG had !

Bud, honestly if you never played SWG before the NGE you have no idea what your talking about. Because after the NGE SWG went into the garbage can. Have fun lvling to max lvl in 4 days, and having everything spoon fed to you because you have never worked hard for anything in your useless life...

Edited by trashyone

Bud, honestly if you never played SWG before the NGE you have no idea what your talking about. Because after the NGE SWG went into the garbage can. Have fun lvling to max lvl in 4 days, and having everything spoon fed to you because you have never worked hard for anything in your useless life...

Lol because swg was really hard, but let's insult a guy who thinks swg is garbage.

Lol because swg was really hard, but let's insult a guy who thinks swg is garbage.

Since when did I say SWG was hard? I never said that.

What I was explaining to him was that if he hadn't been there before the NGE was implemented he has no idea he is talking about.

Edited by Zoggel
Rude

Let me guess though, you quit right before the nge, didnt you? I dont disagree with you about how the earlier days were better than the nge, but to say that not one swg player didn't enjoy nge is bogus and a little misinformed.

Huh? You're wrong on both points. No I didn't quit before the NGE. I played through it, witnessed the large number of people get upset by it and quit.

Also, I never said that NO ONE enjoyed the NGE. Where did you even get that? Sure some people did, but far more did not. Not because the NGE didn't have any merrit. I didn't personally mind it. I like both pre and post NGE (Hated CU). The fact is both had good and bad. The mistake sony made was ripping the game people were playing out from under them and expecting them to be happy about it. They were wrong and the game payed the price. That's why people were and still are very negative about the NGE.

The nge lasted 5 years after, I dont see many people who hate it to play it until the game dies.

The NGE lasted that long becuase there are enough people who want to play a Star Wars MMO to keep it going, and allthough it angered a lot of players the way they changed the game, it still had much of what made SWG great from the start. Great crafting and social systems.

What great features did swg have at launch? most of it was added pub 3 and on up until the curb and what people claim to be universal great features of swg was added later in the games life

Proof you don't know what you're talking about ^

SWG had the best housing, crafting, skill progression and social game play, probably ever, at launch. As I said, it was very bugged and lacked leveling content, and the end game was a broken Jedi system, and that's the reason it did poorly initially. If they'd simply polished what they had they'd have done much better.

The space content also came out after launch but well before the NGE.

The NGE didn't add anything really except quests for leveling and a revamped combat system. The quests were great, but they should have been added without all the other huge sweeping changes.

With all of that said... I really don't know what your point is. It doesn't matter if you're talking pre CU, CU, or NGE. There are a lot of good ideas they should borrow from that game regardless of which version you're talking about.

The social systems, the crafting, the housing, the exploration. It was all great and would only add to TOR. What exactly does the NGE have to do with anything?

Edited by Spymaster

This is pretty much the worst logic I've read in a while ^

You didn't like the game so that means NOTHING in it was good? That's just silly.

Why would this game suddenly need to become "slow and painful" to implement something good from SWG, like a good space game, or a good crafting system?

They don't need to make EVERYTHING in the game like SWG to borrow some of it's better ideas.

You people act there's two choices, WoW clone or SWG clone :confused:

The best MMO would take the best ideas from all other games.

Edited by Spymaster

Let me guess though, you quit right before the nge, didnt you? I dont disagree with you about how the earlier days were better than the nge, but to say that not one swg player didn't enjoy nge is bogus and a little misinformed. The nge lasted 5 years after, I dont see many people who hate it to play it until the game dies. What great features did swg have at launch? most of it was added pub 3 and on up until the curb and what people claim to be universal great features of swg was added later in the games life.

Well I was there when SWG first Released and I was there after the NGE. THE NGE actually removed most of the features SWG had before the NGE was implemented.

Most of the people who played before the NGE left the game. If you honestly were there back in the day before and after the NGE you should already know that. Weather the game lasted for 5 years more is irrelevant because there is some really bad, and poorly F2P MMO's out there that have been running for 10 years and are still going, even P2P mmo's. Most of the people who Played the NGE were new players, there was only a few that still remained.

I don't know if your aware of this, but Most of Sonys games weather they are popular or not are still running. Vanguard has hardly any players left, so does that mean it's a popular game? no.

I think your the one thats misinformed

Edited by LexiCazam
Inappropriate content

This game is just a WoW clone with lightsabers and voices.

I wish everyone would stop calling every new game that comes out a WOW clone. You all seem to forget that WOW was created based off of ideas taken from Everquest I. If you want to call something a clone, call it an Everquest Clone, because Everquest is where all modern MMO's have taken their roots from.

People like to say WoW clone but its more than a WoW clone. Its an evolution of RPG based gaming look at games like bioware's Baulder's Gate and Baulder's Gate 2 or Neverwinter Nights and you will notice that the games control style is not far removed. Especially from Neverwinter Nights. Neverwinter Nights came out 2 years before WoW. All games evolve based on other games in the industry and based on the previous work inside a company.

What a load of rubbish. Trying to claim TOR is an evolution of RPG gaming? I think not. TOR looks pretty and sounds pretty, but about the only thing it has that other MMOs don't have (or at lesat didn't, but they are starting to catch on) is voice acting and choices that impact your story.

I played it saddly and I still remember being bored and thinking how the story was the worst I ever read !

I played FF11 for 7 years back when it too months too a year to get a Highlevel job . Nothing came easy in that game and it still was more fun than SWG by miles !

SWG never did anything

SWG had a small player base even before NGE

NGE was made in hopes of beinging in more PLAYERS , the game sucked and just got worse !

I am sorry you liked a game that really had 0 anything to do , so you guys had to make your own content . That alone shows how bad it was !

TOR OUTSOLD

TOR has more PLAYERS

TOR has better STORIES

TOR has a better Class system

TOR IS JUST PLAIN OUT BETTER IN EVERY FACTOR OVER CRAPPY SWG !