SWTOR players average 4-6 hours per session

zrinking

Let it be known, 5 years from now, when Atari Potato is a household term, that I posted in this thread.

Do I get some kind of internet medal? In game title: "Atari Potato Engineer"?

Prediction:

April 1st patch notes:

Atari Potato customers will notice an increase in spud shading.

Edited by Thaltom

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man that article just owns any notion that the game is dying.

The most hilarious part is hearing them whine over at massively about the article being just propaganda.....however the crap at gamepro and the half-baked predictions at mmodata are all true.:rolleyes:

What funny is that "citing concrete telemetry data" would imply something.

Imply - to indicate or suggest without being explicitly stated.

So with that concrete data can only imply instead of prove?

I think the original interview is from

http://kotaku.com/5887987/star-wars-the-old-republic-players-average-at-least-four-hours-per-session-love-sundays

What I find most interesting is that considering average time played per session is 4 - 6 hrs AND he stated "...Zeschuk said that a "small percentage" of players have reached the game's level cap (50), but that "these guys still play a lot..."

what is definition of "small percentage"? cause 4-6 hrs a day, 6 weeks since launch? I am having hard time understanding how not everyone is 50 already.

What funny is that "citing concrete telemetry data" would imply something.

Imply - to indicate or suggest without being explicitly stated.

So with that concrete data can only imply instead of prove?

:rolleyes:

Yes more nonconstructive game bashing.

One would think that your would grow tired of it and find a game to actually play.

Do I get some kind of internet medal? In game title: "Atari Potato Engineer"?

Prediction:

April 1st patch notes:

Atari Potato customers will notice an increase in spud shading.

I liked the Atari Potato line... I loved the patch note comments!

+1 internetz to you! :jawa_biggrin:

2-4 hours are dedicated to the loading screen of the 4-6 hours logged in.

Please go QQ somewhere else, facts are, the telemetry data is true, and in fact, when I play, it is much more than 4-6 hours.

You can go cry on your loading screens, people love this game, are looking forward to the updates, and will keep on playing. I feel for you haters, you will never find a game you love, you will never be satisfied. You are always going to be looking for the 'next big thing'. Good luck finding it. It won't be GW2, it won't be 'The Secret World', it won't be any game you are super hyped for. All of these will fail in your hyper critical eyes.

So here is a little peice of advice, get over yourself, you are not a programming god, you are not a professional game critic, you are simply a consumer. If you don't like a game, don't pay for it, don't subscribe to it, move on and get over it.

Kids, jobs, other hobbies/games... adult stuff

Right.. which is why the word "average" is very important here, cause you know, it means on AVERAGE, so your 30 min play time is probably offset by someone who is playing 7-11 hrs.

so... again, considering AVERAGE play time is 4 - 6 hrs, I just find it strange only "small percentage" made it to 50.

Unless you meant things like jobs, kids and other hobbies somehow decrease people's ability to level even if on AVERAGE they put in 4 - 6 hrs per play session.

That's actually fairly accurate, based on my math my play sessions are about 4 hours on average... and I hate a decent amount of things about this game.

I do however enjoy PVP and like all MMO's it takes a decent amount of time to get anywhere so... hence a lot of playtime... I dunno if they should be particularly proud of this number or think it means that much.

I have played MMO's where I forgot how long it was and all of a sudden the sun was coming up.

They are right about the "just one more thing" effect. But that is exactly what an RPG of any kind does to you. That's why nearly every game that comes out now has some kind of RPG element or level up system... Even call of duty.

Congrats on capitalising on an obsessive aspect of our monkey brains that seems well known to all game developers.

this "The other thing that's really funny is you can tell when things are going really well in the game because the amount of forum chatter drops. People don't go to forums. They just play." makes me laugh...

I dunno if that's really a sign that things are going well, or just a sign that... I am at work.. so all I can do is read these awful forums or do work. I get home... I play, and then visit the forum next day with a new list of complaints/bugs.

Edited by KurleyKilla

Perhaps we need to redefine the term 'casual' as is thrown around willy nilly as if it magically means something a bit too much on these forums? :D

'This game is designed for casuals! You know... the 99% of us that play for one hour at a time'

Average play times says go get stuffed :D

Edited by silverprovidence

I play about 90 minutes a session.

i don't think haters will go nuts. This doesn't change the fact that the game is mediocre. Many of the hours contributing to the average are a) people trying to find 5 armaments among 30 players b) people trying to get 3 wins for the day in WZs c) people trying to find a group for...anything.

I'd like to qualify those data with the tasks being performed in that time. I'm sure it would paint a much sadder picture.

No one at end game is saying "just one more quest". There's nothing to do.

But getting to end game....I've frequently found myself saying it. My sage is 50 and hasn't finished Corellia yet....so it's hard for me to remember I have to get off the comp at a decent time.

Right.. which is why the word "average" is very important here, cause you know, it means on AVERAGE, so your 30 min play time is probably offset by someone who is playing 7-11 hrs.

so... again, considering AVERAGE play time is 4 - 6 hrs, I just find it strange only "small percentage" made it to 50.

Unless you meant things like jobs, kids and other hobbies somehow decrease people's ability to level even if on AVERAGE they put in 4 - 6 hrs per play session.

An average play time doesn't mean that the entire time is spent leveling like a madman. I spent about 30 minutes last night explaining to a guild mate how House M.D. is a more enjoyable show when House is on Vicodin...

Not every waking minute is spent leveling.

An average play time doesn't mean that the entire time is spent leveling like a madman. I spent about 30 minutes last night explaining to a guild mate how House M.D. is a more enjoyable show when House is on Vicodin...

Not every waking minute is spent leveling.

So your spending 30 mins in game talking about House MD instead of playing the game?

So your spending 30 mins in game talking about House MD instead of playing the game?

I did that while I put up my loots on the GTN too. I can type out conversations while I do some pve content or queue up for WZs or whatever else because multitasking is not a myth, some people can actually do it :p

You keep trying to accuse me of not playing TOR for some reason. I like this game Emeda. I may not being actively leveling every second of being logged in but I play it every night, like clockwork. My wife plays too.

Stop trying to entrap people into "admitting" they aren't playing because they happen to posting on the forums at this very moment.

Also, I will be leaving work here in about 15 minutes and you won't here from me for two days because I'll be at home doing the weekend stuff and playing TOR. Since I won't be talking to you for a few days: have a good weekend :)

Wait, this is your last day on the forums though. Kinda sad :o Best of luck in your future games.

Edited by Thaltom

I did that while I put up my loots on the GTN too. I can type out conversations while I do some pve content or queue up for WZs or whatever else because multitasking is not a myth, some people can actually do it :p

You keep trying to accuse me of not playing TOR for some reason. I like this game Emeda. I may not being actively leveling every second of being logged in but I play it every night, like clockwork. My wife plays too.

Stop trying to entrap people into "admitting" they aren't playing because they happen to posting on the forums at this very moment.

Also, I will be leaving work here in about 15 minutes and you won't here from me for two days because I'll be at home doing the weekend stuff and playing TOR. Since I won't be talking to you for a few days: have a good weekend :)

Wait, this is your last day on the forums though. Kinda sad :o Best of luck in your future games.

If that was what you were doing then why not say that you were doing stuff on the GTN instead of mentioning something that had nothing to do with the game.