Please Convince me not to drop cybertech for Biotech

Lostpharoah

Im currently at work so I have until I get home to be convinced to change my mind..

Currently im:

400 cyber

400 under world

400 scavenging

I have purchased every schem from the npc vendor, have acquired every ship and speeder (slicing) schematics.

Achieved purples for all mods, armoring's and ear pieces best suited for sentinels. and more.

I Have found at level 50 Cybertech is completely useless for any class. and cant sell anything. (made some creds off of ship parts for a short stint, but now every one has what they need). There is absolutely nothing I can make that is of any use to me even remotely, as I can purchase far better from just the centiron pvp vendor alone.

SO.....

my plan is to drop all of this for

Biotech

Diplomacy

Bio analysis

Unless im convinced otherwise by the time I get home this is what im doing..

I am not going to try to talk you out of dropping Cybertech since I am considering doing the same thing. The only reason I dont is that I have invested too much time training schematics to not cry if I dropped it.

What I AM going to do is suggest an alternate route to what you have planned.

1) Keep Cybertech until you can craft a Rakata Earpiece with an augment slot. Since these are BOP, being a Cybertech is the only way to get one with an augment slot. (also make your 3 BOP bikes while your at it)

2) Drop Cybertech for Armortech. Work your way up and craft yourself Rakata bracers and belt with augment slots. Since these are BOP, this is the only way to get them.

3) Finally, drop Armortech for Biotech, and grind your way to the top.

Ofcourse, this may become a useless plan if when they make the locked in armoring of Rakata pieces removable (assuming you can find bracers and a belt that have the full open slots you need), then you could just get some slotted bracers and a belt, get extra Rakata pieces, pop the mods out and put them in the slotted pieces. In that case, you can just drop Cybertech for Biotech.

The only argument against it is that Biotech is current flavor of the moment, and I am SURE that Bioware is aware that pretty much everyone agrees Biotech is the best profession. They more than likely will either nerf Biotech or boost the other classes to make them equally desirable.

Im still not convinced .. Although Laokoon has given me something to seriously consider, Thank you Laokoon.

You know what would really be nice and im prolly only dreaming here .. but if a dev could actually respond and try to convince me not to switch .. but id have a better chance at RE'ing a purple mod into a Dblue legendary .. huh

Edited by Lostpharoah

Just drop it already. The longer you wait, the worse it is.

You are not the only one who is dropping a 400 skill. I dropped Slicing 400 first, then Armormech 400, Underworld Trading 400, and Scavenging 400.

Before you know it you'll be biochem 400 and saying stuff like "I cant believe I waited this long"

Because Bioware will be re-evaluating crew skills, and for all we know Cybertech could be the next big one.

You can get most of the Biochem benefit from the market - reusable stims/adrenals are NO LONGER BOP.

You will join the crowd of "flavour of 1.1" that may be hit hard come future patches.

49 armoring/mods are useful to people about to hit 50.

You make okay headsets. See what's missing on the market.

You have reusable grenades.

Above else: FOTM is bad.

Edited by JoyProtocol

Because Bioware will be re-evaluating crew skills, and for all we know Cybertech could be the next big one.

You can get most of the Biochem benefit from the market - reusable stims/adrenals are NO LONGER BOP.

You will join the crowd of "flavour of 1.1" that may be hit hard come future patches.

Yes, level 49 armoring/mods can be useful to people at level 49. Which is why people at level 50 are doing the Ilum/Belsavis daily quests and selling the armoring and mods they get from those on the GTN for about half the price it costs to craft them. On my server, the GTN is littered with these for about 20k each. I hoping this gets addressed by BioWare, and these are made BoP at the very least.

I could be wrong, but even if the reusable BioChem goods aren't BoP, don't they still require max level BioChem to use? If not, then I need to make a trip to the GTN.

Yes, level 49 armoring/mods can be useful to people at level 49. Which is why people at level 50 are doing the Ilum/Belsavis daily quests and selling the armoring and mods they get from those on the GTN for about half the price it costs to craft them. On my server, the GTN is littered with these for about 20k each. I hoping this gets addressed by BioWare, and these are made BoP at the very least.

I could be wrong, but even if the reusable BioChem goods aren't BoP, don't they still require max level BioChem to use? If not, then I need to make a trip to the GTN.

They do not. Last I heard (I haven't checked) the description still says they do - but they do not have any prerequisites anymore.

I also didn't realize that Ilum rewards are not BoP. Who thought this was a good idea?!

Im currently at work so I have until I get home to be convinced to change my mind..

Currently im:

400 cyber

400 under world

400 scavenging

I have purchased every schem from the npc vendor, have acquired every ship and speeder (slicing) schematics.

Achieved purples for all mods, armoring's and ear pieces best suited for sentinels. and more.

I Have found at level 50 Cybertech is completely useless for any class. and cant sell anything. (made some creds off of ship parts for a short stint, but now every one has what they need). There is absolutely nothing I can make that is of any use to me even remotely, as I can purchase far better from just the centiron pvp vendor alone.

SO.....

my plan is to drop all of this for

Biotech

Diplomacy

Bio analysis

Unless im convinced otherwise by the time I get home this is what im doing..

Dude....if you havnt already switch...but make your speeder first :) coolest looking one to me - that is what I did and it was a VERY good choice

I'd wait.

Crafting is fluid right now. For the moment, you've got your grenades and other misc. bits. Biochem WILL get changes, it's a matter of when, not if. So will Cybertech, and it's "lower" on the FoTM tier right now at a highly volatile point in development.

I wouldn't be surprised if the end result is that each one gets BOP items that make them uniquely good, in different ways.

What about the super cool grenades?

Grenades are fun, but with a 5 min shared cooldown, hardly worth it. You can use them once, maybe twice in a wz. The cooldown is so long half the time I forget I even have em. A 1 min or 90 second cooldown would be more reasonable, or 2 mins max. In the meantime, Biochem, here I come.

not everyone who needs starship parts has them. Not everyone is lvl 50. Many folks have many alts. They need starship parts too. They are pretty rare on gtn.

What's worse, finding a mod for anything between lvl 20 and lvl 40 is ridiculous. If you like to do content and overlevel your story, your comms are worthless for mods, you've already outleveled them. So what do you do? You look on GTN. Gaping holes in what's available. People will buy if there's something there to buy. Right now,there's not at least not on my server. There are plenty of people who are't level 50 and have no interest in racing to level 50 just do grind endgame. That's called a market.

Find something that's in short supply and make it. Sell it.

FWIW, people need to have more of a "serverwide" outlook than a personal "I need" outlook. it would help a lot. If more people would, the few cutthroat gtn scalpers could be put out of business.

Mostly I wouldn't scrap anything until after 1.2 comes out.

The reusable grenades are terribad.

Seriously, they are horrible, aweful, pitiful terribad.

I mean, they actually do some damage or croud control or whatever the description says they will do.

The problem is the 5 minute cooldown on them.

5 minutes?!?! Really?!?! Pfft, gimme a reusable stimpack instead.

In terms of cybertech, here is how things work:

Levels 1-50 you take cybertech so you can make mods and keep you and your companions armor up to date.

At 50, you make yourself and companion a set of epic mods, make yourself all of the epic starship upgrades. Then you drop cybertech and pick up biochem so you can make reusable stimpacks to keep yourself buffed while in flashpoints or ops.

Synthweaving, armortech, armstech? Don't bother. I know the fanbois are drooling over patch 1.2 thats supposed to make the currently less than useless crew skills super duper awsesome and amazing. But biochem works, and its not likeyl to be nerfed anymore, so just go with what works, you'll be glad you did.

And if some other crew skill is awemazing, then make yourself a good supply of stims and go pick up the crew skill that you want. It only takes a few days to learn a crew skill to max.

- Pahbi

not everyone who needs starship parts has them. Not everyone is lvl 50. Many folks have many alts. They need starship parts too. They are pretty rare on gtn.

What's worse, finding a mod for anything between lvl 20 and lvl 40 is ridiculous. If you like to do content and overlevel your story, your comms are worthless for mods, you've already outleveled them. So what do you do? You look on GTN. Gaping holes in what's available. People will buy if there's something there to buy. Right now,there's not at least not on my server. There are plenty of people who are't level 50 and have no interest in racing to level 50 just do grind endgame. That's called a market.

Find something that's in short supply and make it. Sell it.

FWIW, people need to have more of a "serverwide" outlook than a personal "I need" outlook. it would help a lot. If more people would, the few cutthroat gtn scalpers could be put out of business.

Mostly I wouldn't scrap anything until after 1.2 comes out.

I have been convinced to wait till 1.2..

However yes I originally thought and tried to cater to crafting some awsome cyber items for pre 50 levels and did put some up on the gtn, the issue with this is max days you can post items is only 2, and the deposits are killer, rendering this unprofitable I ended up just junking out myself to the nearest npc vendor, did not even bother with re'ing.

However yes I originally thought and tried to cater to crafting some awsome cyber items for pre 50 levels and did put some up on the gtn, the issue with this is max days you can post items is only 2, and the deposits are killer, rendering this unprofitable I ended up just junking out myself to the nearest npc vendor, did not even bother with re'ing.

Umm... you get the deposit back you know? you only pay a percentage to the GTN

You do know you get 100% of that 'killer deposit' back if the item doesn't sell, right? And that you only pay a what, 1% listing fee to the GTN if the item sells? Nothing gained, nothing lost. That's WAY less than what it cost on other games. I won't swap to biochem because I've got some nice and decent rare recipes with Synthweaving that actually sell, and with the upcoming crew skill buff everything BUT biochem will be getting, I'm not losing all those recipes I dropped dozens (hundreds) of mats learning and starting all over again.

To quote Will Smith, "Oh HELL no."

Edited by Minniyar

I was surprised to read this so I went straight to my biochem 400 char and to the gtm to check.

The reusable stims adrenals require levels of biochem to be used.

The ones you see on the gtm (at least in my server) are worse than the Rakata ones my character can use.

To the op:

Imo if you are a pvp'er your only choice of profesion is biochem, there is no other option.

Reasons: in pvp you cannot afford yourself to lose perma 1360hp or 136 of your main stat + 50 of a secondary one + the adrenal of your choice, and obviously with the rate of deaths you get in pvp you would have to be extremely rich to buy all your stims and adrenals even for one day of pvp. Not only this you also have the 3k+ medpack that augments your hp15% for some seconds. So imo that is out of the question.

If you are more pve'er you can just purchase your stims and adrenals in the gtm and keep your profesion for the new changes incoming in 1.2 with no major loss to your dps, healing or tanking performance