BioWare & Nvidia: Let me get this straight . . .

mikules

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, you think that every game that comes out should be automatically supported by Nvidia without any sort of compensation from the game company? Why is it that big of a deal to slap an Nvidia logo on the website and give them some extra revenue from advertising.

It usually isn't a giant, intrusive logo. Just something small, on the bottom... you know... where the other logos are.

So Nvidia can dictate which games get updated?

Should ATI require the same? Hell no.

While we're at it, why not make the game makers dedicate an entire page to Nvidia?

Maybe require a watermark throughout the game?

I do not like it nor agree.

But the OP is trolling us anyway.

So Nvidia can dictate which games get updated?

Should ATI require the same? Hell no.

While we're at it, why not make the game makers dedicate an entire page to Nvidia?

Maybe require a watermark throughout the game?

I do not like it nor agree.

But the OP is trolling us anyway.

Nvidia should be able to dictate which games get updated on their drivers if they aren't getting compensated for the work. So should ATI. Are you really going to tell me that if you ran a business that you would be happy to devote hours of labor to fixing an issue or enhancing something but not receive any sort of payment for it?

I'm not saying the OP isn't trolling. I don't know about what companies get paid for behind the scenes. I'm just saying that you're suggesting a terrible business model.

The only thing between SWTOR and NVIDIA is that SWTOR doesn't support SLI. That's all. As the game matures I'm pretty sure that somewhere down the track SLI support will be added.

In regards to drivers improving the performance, they may have. But then again, with each SWTOR update, Bioware seem to be improving the performance of the game.

Edited by Krashh

I'm using a GT240 as well and playing this on a media box I built to stream internet videos, etc on my television. Hell it's still using XP as an OS and I get better than average performance.

*Edit to add:

I did install the new driver a couple days ago and have no trouble with my 60 inch plasma. Yes there did seeem to be a minor increase in performance in TOR but that could be my mind.

Am using a gt 240 as well. Do you get 15 fps in wz's too? Is that just because our cards are garbage? xD

Am using a gt 240 as well. Do you get 15 fps in wz's too? Is that just because our cards are garbage? xD

Pretty much. The GT 240 was a low end card two years ago. There is nothing wrong with Nvidia's support for SWTOR. I have multiple systems that use Nvidia cards and they all run the game great for what they are. This thread seems like nothing more than AMD fanboy troll bait.

Nvidia should be able to dictate which games get updated on their drivers if they aren't getting compensated for the work. So should ATI. Are you really going to tell me that if you ran a business that you would be happy to devote hours of labor to fixing an issue or enhancing something but not receive any sort of payment for it?

I'm not saying the OP isn't trolling. I don't know about what companies get paid for behind the scenes. I'm just saying that you're suggesting a terrible business model.

Are you freaking kidding me? Nvidia and AMD are compensated for their work by the customers who buy their cards. :rolleyes:

They are in the business to make video cards and making their hardware work with the software is their job.

If they want gamers to buy their cards than they make their cards compatible with the software that the gamers use.

Edited by iain_b

Are you freaking kidding me? Nvidia and AMD are compensated for their work by the customers who buy their cards. :rolleyes:

They are in the business to make video cards and making their hardware work with the software is their job.

If they want gamers to buy their cards than they make their cards compatible with the software that the gamers use.

This is really the best reply to this foolish conspiracy.

nVIDIA has pretty much lost the race for the next generation of GPUs. They got off the boat when they got into a dispute with Microsoft over the fact their cards will "dribble" (suddenly start reading from the page file back to the card RAM until the card resets) when running Win7. MS says it's N's fault. N says it's a Win7 problem. They both let it ride, and as far as I know no forward movement has been made. None of N's new drivers solve the problem. That alone is enough to look askance at nVidia's offerings.

However, the new generation of cards have nVidia's offering woefully lacking. It's highly recommended you bail on nVidia first chance you get, even if you have their motherboard.

nVIDIA has pretty much lost the race for the next generation of GPUs. They got off the boat when they got into a dispute with Microsoft over the fact their cards will "dribble" (suddenly start reading from the page file back to the card RAM until the card resets) when running Win7. MS says it's N's fault. N says it's a Win7 problem. They both let it ride, and as far as I know no forward movement has been made. None of N's new drivers solve the problem. That alone is enough to look askance at nVidia's offerings.

However, the new generation of cards have nVidia's offering woefully lacking. It's highly recommended you bail on nVidia first chance you get, even if you have their motherboard.

So strange... I have always used the NVidia brand of graphics card and they have worked without fault. My computer is a Hewlett-Packard Company personal computer which utilises the Microsoft Corporation operating system type Windows 7 [ 64-bit ] to which I specifically requested and had fitted a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 graphics display adaptor. My experience of the card is that it has worked without fault. The Star Wars game The Old Republic runs perfectly with none of the reported issues, as does Blizzard's World of Warcraft, Trions Rift and Cryptic Studio's Star Trek Online. I am somewhat puzzled by your comments which appear like many on this thread to lack solid supporting evidence. Could I ask that those that choose to make such accusations provide links to articles and reports setting out the various issues so that I may better understand what others are experiencing.

I am tempted to believe until proven otherwise that the real issue is as ever user/hardware error only insomuch that conflicts are likely to occur between data transfer and processing mechanisms within the system restricting the flow of information to the various processing facilities. This often can be due to ill-constructed networks, poor service facilities from data source factors and badly managed software conflicting with the machines operating system. To blame a reputable organisation such as NVIDIA in this way is seriously misguided given the limited technical knowledge of the average computer gamer.

So strange... I have always used the NVidia brand of graphics card and they have worked without fault. My computer is a Hewlett-Packard Company personal computer which utilises the Microsoft Corporation operating system type Windows 7 [ 64-bit ] to which I specifically requested and had fitted a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 graphics display adaptor. My experience of the card is that it has worked without fault. The Star Wars game The Old Republic runs perfectly with none of the reported issues, as does Blizzard's World of Warcraft, Trions Rift and Cryptic Studio's Star Trek Online. I am somewhat puzzled by your comments which appear like many on this thread to lack solid supporting evidence. Could I ask that those that choose to make such accusations provide links to articles and reports setting out the various issues so that I may better understand what others are experiencing.

I am tempted to believe until proven otherwise that the real issue is as ever user/hardware error only insomuch that conflicts are likely to occur between data transfer and processing mechanisms within the system restricting the flow of information to the various processing facilities. This often can be due to ill-constructed networks, poor service facilities from data source factors and badly managed software conflicting with the machines operating system. To blame a reputable organisation such as NVIDIA in this way is seriously misguided given the limited technical knowledge of the average computer gamer.

I wouldn't worry too much, he's talking a ton of rubbish as you rightly noted.

I've actually not long come back from a corporate seminar on Ivy bridge (less fun then you'd imagine!) and in the interim nVidia was a heavy discussion draw point. Topic mainly being quad sli compatibility or rather nvidia being slower than its rivals in support/inclusion.

That being said, most of us agreed that considering its fringe tech at best, we wont hold it against nVidia for being slow/relunctant to heavily invest (or in fact reveal too much too soon) on such a niche consumer market area. nVidia commented themselves that aside from that and some minor issues involving clock errors that things were fine overall.

nVidia have just cemented a key deal with microsoft, involving various OS protocols. The 590gtx was benchmarked and noted as the worlds most powerful and adaptive GPU (over the broadest category range that is) if anything things are looking up in the nVidia camp for a change. 'The distance between us and rival firms is comfortable again' to quote the speaker, which he said jokingly - I read that as 'we are relaxed...for now'

You have nothing to worry about :) nVidia are good, stable and increasingly investable at the right tiers. Don't listen to junk. They aren't flawless but they are a good product. Make no mistake.

edit: before people start looking at the latest MSI offering - note I said 'broadest range' - Radeon has its strengths. Most of us know the difference ;)

Edited by Rainfeather

If i'm not mistaken. The latest update to drivers that they came out with has improved performance in SWTOR.

I don't have a Nvidia card but this is what everyone in my guild is saying.

New drivers just hit yesterday, 295.73, your statement doesn't apply.

I personally don't care for Nvidia, but their flagship cards simply outperform AMD. *Let the flame war begin*

Although AMD isn't an angel either, a few years ago an e-mail exchange between the heads of the two companies was leaked. It was discussing how they can keep their current price fixing scheme going.

God I miss the days of VooDoo and other card companies being around. When you had 3 or 4 choices we didn't have this issue.

Except it is compatible with the games I want to play. The driver updates aren't generally for compatibility, but for enhancement.

Well then what am I supposed to buy?? That garbage that ATI puts out and calls a video card? I mean seriously? Biggest piece of junk I have ever purchased in my life is when my co-worker talked me into trying a system with a 5870 in it... Say 'Oh ATI has fixed all of its old issues.' I've had nothing but issues with this thing. I've sent it back to the manufacturer 3 times for resolution. Out of owning it for 1 year, they have had it for 3 months. I personally will never buy their crap again.

Well then what am I supposed to buy?? That garbage that ATI puts out and calls a video card? I mean seriously? Biggest piece of junk I have ever purchased in my life is when my co-worker talked me into trying a system with a 5870 in it... Say 'Oh ATI has fixed all of its old issues.' I've had nothing but issues with this thing. I've sent it back to the manufacturer 3 times for resolution. Out of owning it for 1 year, they have had it for 3 months. I personally will never buy their crap again.

I have had problems with Nvidia which is why I never buy them, ATI has been perfect for me. I had a GT something, forgot the name but I would blue screen like every hour, took it back to best buy, bought ATI 5670 and have no problems... I know I have to upgrade now.

If i'm not mistaken. The latest update to drivers that they came out with has improved performance in SWTOR.

I don't have a Nvidia card but this is what everyone in my guild is saying.

Ya this is definitely true. The latest drivers both fixed my long standing inability to play in widescreen and improved my performance quite a bit as well.

So we're not getting support from Nvidia for the game because the two companies have not come to an agreement to place the Nvidia logo on the game?

I have Nvidia, and I'm not a fan of their company due to a lot of their corporate tactics, but players have to suffer due to this argument between the two?

This is simply wrong

So OP, care to cite your source? Or you just trolling. Judging by the latest driver update, the game is definitely getting supported....

I have had problems with Nvidia which is why I never buy them, ATI has been perfect for me. I had a GT something, forgot the name but I would blue screen like every hour, took it back to best buy, bought ATI 5670 and have no problems... I know I have to upgrade now.

Well you and I are complete opposites then. All of my nVidia cards have been install and forget for the most part. Update drivers when I remember to do that, which wasn't that often (maybe every 6 months or so).

This ATI gives me a Grey Blank screen every time it gets taxed out a little. In Rift it was a complete and utter nightmare. But supposedly it has been fixed 3 times.

The payment that they receive comes from me continuing to purchase their product. Why would I purchase their card if they aren't going to support the games I play? Does that make sense to you?

"BUY OUR SUPER EXPENSIVE GAMING GPU!!!"

"Does it support games x or y?"

"NO!"

"Then you have your answer."