The "I hate TS (especially in OPs)" Thread

I don't like using TeamSpeak because I have a hearing problem. I also hate talking when I'm playing as I find it distracting personally. However I do know there are a fair few who 'must' use it.

I'm a guild leader and my guild was set up with the text chat system as the main source of communication across all content. But I made an exception for my guild to use VOIP providing that all members in any group content is ok with it. Text chat is always priority over the VOIP.

If a member who wants text agrees that VOIP is ok to everyone else, as long as he gets the info from the guide in text format, no problems.

Btw, anyone who suggest content cannot be done without it, I can tell you now, it can. My guild completed the Eternity Vault purely on text in 2 hours the other night. It might be slower and a little bit harder without, but it's still fun and doable.

OP, my advice to you is to find a guild that doesn't require VOIP. Like mine :)

Edited by BounceZ

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant believe how unsocial some people want to be. Have you seriously tryed typing a message in the middle of a boss fight its ridiculas. People who cant handle chatting to other people and only want to hear the sound of there own keyboard then seriously cut there internet now!

I cant believe how unsocial some people want to be. Have you seriously tryed typing a message in the middle of a boss fight its ridiculas. People who cant handle chatting to other people and only want to hear the sound of there own keyboard then seriously cut there internet now!

King, have you read some of the post? Have you not noticed how some people including the OP does not like it.

I HAVE A HEARING PROBLEM..... so.... how can i communicate in OPs?!

ALSO I TEND TO HAVE PROBLEMS CONCENTRATING WHEN PEOPLE ARE CHATTING TO ME... can't do anything about that. I personally have to read text to adjust information.

I bolded these points because you seem to have this pre-conceived idea that just because VOIP are not preferred by some that it's 'unsociable' which is downright rude!

And fyi, the guide in my Op run using the text was able to use it fine. By taking a little bit of time prior to the boss fight he explained what to do and was able to use short words in the fight.

OP, first of all, the fact that your guild uses TS is a sign that they're terrible. TS is garbage, and they should be using Vent, Mumble, Skype or hell even Steam's integrated voice chat. This isn't 2001.

I have found some of your comments to be ignorant and arrogant. Allow me to counter some of your arguments.

Firstly, VOIP is about preference and opinion. I know plenty of people who use TS. They are not terrible because of this. It's a personal choice. Don't start putting people down because they've chosen a particular method.

Second, if you're doing anything that requires any level of co-ordination at all you should be in voice chat. It's simply easier for everyone, and is a staple for MMO raiding. If you don't want to use them, then don't, but anyone running a raid will generally expect you to. Don't be shocked when it's required, be glad when it isn't.

You do not 'have' to use VOIP for co-ordination. Saying you 'should' is again a preference to your liking, it is however by no means the only and 'must do' way. I agree it's easier, but by no means the only way.

As a former hardcore raid leader, I simply didn't guild tag anyone that refused to use Vent. Plenty of people didn't have mics, but at least being in the channel to listen to instructions was required. If people didn't want to be in voice chat, then they weren't invited to raid, simple. I did explain that from the start though (it's implied nowadays but whatever) so if your current guild made it sound like you could raid with no voice chat, then it's on them.

Appreciate that you didn't tag people, however what about those with hearing problems, or those who cannot understand accents? Didn't invite them? Ok fair enough, but that would be for a guild I am guessing that states that VOIP is required right? And judging that you're a hard-core raiding guild, I suspect this is the case. If so, then fine, no issues. Even is I were a hard-core raider, I would not join your guild on that basis which I think we can both agree is for the best.

As for the volume issues, why don't you have a headset? That takes care of the mic and GF's noise issues. Headsets are cheap, go buy one. If you're raiding on your laptop while chatting with your GF and watching American Idol, then you're wasting the rest of the raid's time. 7 to 15 other people don't give a **** about your GF and her noise issues, they care about killing the boss. Either focus and help the group, or don't. Playing half *** like that is wasting everyone's time when they could fill your spot with someone that's paying attention.

I do agree that people need to be focused. I personally hate people going afk in content and stopping to feed the baby or talk to their partners and what not. Sometimes though it cannot be helped, but I do think each member of the Op/raid should make sure to the best of their abilities that they are undisturbed for the duration of the run.

That's great that your old guild managed to use just text in mindless 72 man EQ zergfests, and it's certainly possible in this game since the content is so easy. The group you run with doesn't though, they use TS, so you should too. If you don't like it, then leave. You obviously have no clue what a pain in the *** it is to try and lead a raid and not be able to get instructions out quickly. If you did, you'd either leave your current guild, or would suck it up and use TS for the good of everyone you play with.

Again, you like to put someone down to make your point. YOU might consider a 72 man EQ as mindless and easy, but to others, they might enjoy it and find it a challenge. Not everyone is hard-core like you mate!

If the group/guild is set up with the need for VOIP then fair enough, the person who doesn't like it can or should leave. However, it depends entirely on the group and guild and what the initial set-up implies. If it's a guild that does not require VOIP, then forcing someone to leave just because he/she prefers to type and receive info in that manner, then it's extremely selfish and unfair in which case YOU should be the one that leaves.

I've mentioned this already, and you will probably degrade it like you have done to the OP, but my guild was able to complete the Op Eternity Vault in 2 hours using text chat. The guide was awesome and was able to communicate properly what is needed and when.

But I agree if the guild the OP has joined has a TS requirement, he should leave. If it didn't then adjustment should be made accordingly when a player who prefers chat joins the group.

As it is, you're asking the rest of your guild to cater to you while you refuse to use TS. You're hindering group communication and making the raid leader's job harder than it needs to be. Frankly, players like you are why raid leaders and GMs get burned out. They have enough to worry about without typing out instructions to every special snowflake that can't be bothered to login to voice chat, and it needlessly adds frustration to an already frustrating and thankless job.

I agree asking the rest of the guild to cater to one person is a bit wrong, but it depends on the set-up. If the guild (like mine) prioritizes Text chat over VOIP, then he would be well within his rights to argue. It depends on the guild or group.

I do agree with you about the needless TS chatter. That's a sign of poor guild/raid leadership though, especially if the chatter is interfering with instructions. Again consider finding a new guild, however, remember that your refusing to join TS is just as detrimental to communication as their mindless prattling about Chuck Norris or ub3r pwnz0rz. It goes both ways. Muting everyone but the raid leader/officers is a good suggestion, I've had to do it in the past myself.

Also bear in mind that others also have reason's not to use TS. I can't use it because I have a hearing problem and I find it difficult to talk and do something at the same time because I'm concentrating on what I am doing and trying to understand the person talking. It's something I personally find a problem, because I have to stop what I'm doing to listen carefully.

Truth hurts.

Ignorance hurts - you need to remember that there are many different types of players, skills, circumstance, computer settings etc etc and not all of them can/will use TS or any VOIP. Granted it's a prefered method for many, but not all.

What the OP needs to do, is find a guild who suits his preferences.

Bah.

Has nothing to do with being social. "Social" is not defined as "only spoken".

There are millions of people in this world who communicate just fine without, brace yourself, speaking.

It can be preference, it can stem from disability, it can be a matter of courtesy.

Edited by DieAlteHexe

Think whatever you want.

MMORPG players did 90+ man raids way before TS even was available. (raid groups in EQ were 12 groups of 6 chars = 72, and some guilds brought extra groups)

My guild on EQ, Saviours on Bertoxx, did those raids with half of that manpower and without voicechat and kept up with progression just fine.

If have done OPs in SWTOR already, without voicechat. Worked just fine, too.

Wow the world functioned pretty well before the telephone, who needs it. Who do you people guild with that you worry about being yelled at or hearing 15 year olds? No wonder you don't want to use VC. Anyways luddites will always tell you they did things fine before that new fangled technology came about. And they'll still be luddites. I am not typing when I don't have to. It's the 21st century and if you want t do it the hard way find a guild of fellow luddites and be happy. I'm sure there's enough of you fogies who love old fashioned typing and wiping until you get it.

I guess its like everything else in the game, its down to personal choice and the individual. With myself and my guild, Teamspeak is a must for raiding, we wont take you without it. I spent most of my life in the British Army and appreciate coms for relaying quick and efficient information. We all know what we are doing in game now, but without doubt something always comes up where Teamspeak was needed, such as a bug or something not working as intended.

I guess its like everything else in the game, its down to personal choice and the individual...

Most reasonable. Many folks really enjoy/rely upon voice comms. Many don't. I think it should be an available option but I'm not sure it needs to be a part of the game code itself. Plenty of 3rd party apps. for that.

Topic sure has given rise to some ire, misunderstandings and heated remarks, tho. :)

Edited by DieAlteHexe

And for me, someone who doesn't want a "real" contact like voice with other players it's just a single player gamer. :)

You are very wrong. Just like the ones who claim solo'ers don't belong in their MMO are wrong.

No matter what you think or tell yourself, people who select to not engage in so-called "real" contact by sitting in a pointless Teamspeak channel are just as much a part of your MMO as you are. :)

Get used to it.

So if a person wishes to be selective with whom they socialize, they don't deserve to be on the internet at all? Since when is sitting in a voice chat with perfect strangers, listening to their random outbursts of profanity a quality social interaction? When I raided in wow, any time spent in Vent was not a pleasant time chatting...it was centered on completing the raid and in my opinion probably would have worked BETTER without the needless tension of all the extraneous chatter.

Edited by Kabjat

honestly i dont get the rant...

this seems more like a " im mad that my guild uses TS on ops and they want me to use it too"

there is no reason why you couldnt have TS just to monitor raid leader instructions and whatnot, you can mute everyone else

but flat out refusing to use it just to be childish and stomp your feet saying " YOU CANT MAKE ME USE IT" isnt really a valid , or even intelligent argument against voice chat...

heck, you even flat out state that even if it was implemented ingame you stll wouldnt use it...wich begs the question , why are you pretending that other people take you seriously when you cant even be bothered to install one 2 mb application wich facilitates communication and its FREE?

what that does is show wich people are willling to get out of their 100% comfort zone because they consider other people, and wich people are just selfish single players that are only looking towards THEIR own gain and enjoyment

you cant be bothered to install TS, then dont complain when the leaders/the rest of the guild cant be bothered to invite you to ops either....i wouldnt , even if you were the best player in the guild, because that tells me that you are either antisocial or simply lazy, neither of those are qualities on players that i would want on my guild/ops group

remember that you are playing this game with other people that separate THEIR time to do an ops with the rest of you and the guild , respect other peoples time enough to have some consideration , even more so when its something as stupid as installing teamspeak for the love of god...

Edited by LaVolpex

I'm not even sure why this thread was created in the first place. You don't like TS... so what? No one forces you to use TS. You don't like TS in raiding... so what? No one forces you to use TS while raiding. If you're complaining that people won't take you to ops without TS then... so what? No one's forcing them to take you without TS. You play like you wanna play, they play like they wanna play. You can't force them to do anything anymore than they can force you to get in team speak. I don't see the issue here. I understand the forums are here for mindless ranting, but this thread is simply ridiculous. It has absolutely nothing to do with the game, the operations in the game, or the Flash Points in the game what-so-ever. It's just you hating on a program you don't have to use.

If you feel the same, please post here.

- I dont want to hear people chitchatting while I play the game, neither wants my girl-friend who is doing stuff on her laptop (that wont run SWTOR! No clue why not, but I gave up on it) in the same room with me. We watched a few OP boss fight vids with people doing TS in the background and gosh! it is so annoying.

Why would your girlfriend hear voice chat unless you have some horrible setup like Laptop mic + speakers?

You also do not realise that during Ops, people are silent and use radio discipline because nobody wants to have to yell over each other in the middle of an important boss fight or Warzone.

My guild for one is fine with people sitting out of Vent when doing their own thing because not everyone wants to be chatting outside of important group content. However if you do come to Ops or Warzones then we do expect you to at least be able to listen to the Op Leader's orders because otherwise you are just pulling down the entire team by not knowing where to be and at what time.

- I should not have to use any kind of 3rd party software to play the game (fake argument actually, if BW adds an ingame voicechat I am gonna be seriously p...ed off and still not gonna use it)

The problem here is that you're coming across as incredibly selfish so it's hard to really have any sort of sympathy. So you don't want to run a VoIP programme and don't want ingame VoIP in there either? Even though you are in the minority of raiders who are against this?

- I definetly should not have to buy the hardware for TS (micro and headphones)

Again this makes you appear selfish really. Headsets are cheap and you don't need an expensive one for gaming at all. Your headset's quality is bottlenecked by the VoIP programme anyway. Again you are putting yourself above your entire guild here. No guild should force you to buy a headset but you could at least show some consideration for your fellow gamers by investing in even a cheap headset.

- I raided a lot in the past without any voicechat. 3 years of Everquest and 2 years of Vanguard endgame raids with an asian-pacific guild, we rocked and voice chat was never needed.

I played FFXI for 8 years with guilds that did and did not use voice chat. In the guilds without voice chat I would say about 75% of the wipes we had were due to a communications breakdown, basically somebody who had to use an important item at a certain time to counter a boss's ability simply not doing it or people not noticing a powerful AoE coming up in the chat. Sometimes people would break CC and get the party wiped and some people would even be AFK without anyone noticing due to there being no way to ask.

The ones with voice communication were much more efficient and coordinated purely due to much better communication. Everyone knew what to do and when. Everyone knew what target to focus

- If you dont have the 5 mins before a fight to explain fight mechanics and assign jobs, then you wont do any better by rushing in and shouting at people

You do realise that this is what the Ops Leader will be doing over voice chat right? Making sure that any newcomers are told the mechanics, everyone else is brought up to speed, jobs and roles assigned etc. What you are doing is making a sweeping generalisation based on one or two bad youtube videos.

- If you want to shout at people for underperforming, use CAPS. My old guildleader was big at throwing fits after fails, with a rather motivation effect and better guild performance on the re-runs. 8-) If someone shouted at me via voicechat, Id simply leave.

Again another sweeping generalisation that people who use voice chat yell at everyone. Honestly at this point I get the feeling that you are just making a troll topic.

- to all that add a personal issue: I am ex-military and used to radio discipline and getting very irritated if people dont live up to that standard

Guilds do use radio discipline during Ops though. Again you are making a generalisation and assume that all guild voice chat are chaotic messes of voices when the majority are silent during Ops and Warzones with the leader giving orders and guild members communicating changes in circumstances and reporting things that need to be reported. The fact that you also seem to have no idea why voice chat is used over text chat in real life battles also makes me question your claim at being ex-military.

And for Christ sake! If someone joins your guild saying that he doesnt do voicechat then dont wait 2 weeks before you tell him that TS is mandatory for guild OPs!

Honestly one thing I have been getting from your post is that your guild isn't right for you. Another thing I have been getting from your post is that you only care for yourself and not your friends and guild.

Also your need to remember that "Voice chat is not mandatory" means "You don't have to be on voice chat all the time, just when it's important.

On a side note: I am waiting impatiently for the custom UI and I hope that we will get macros in game soon, too.

Hotkeys that allow chat message like "Attacking %target, assist me now" and "starting CC on %target now" are really needed (at least by me)

With SWTOR's dynamic resource system macros would be the worst thing they could possibly add to the game. There is no such thing as a rotation in SW, instead you should be operating on a dynamic priorities system depending on what resources and procs you have available. Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors are the only classes that really benefit from macros. They also inhibit your ability to react to situations compared to having everything available.

Custom UI though...Yeah I'd love that.

I understand people don't like to use TS/Vent/Whatever else.

But as a Raid leader in and a Former raid leader of a very successful WoW Guild, I find having instant communication at the press of a button is more useful than just about anything else.

The pros being, If something goes wrong its instantly called out so you can adapt and change tactics accordingly, Someone dies the Raid leader can call for a combat ress or tell them not too.

Easier to tell people the tactics pre-fight rather than write a paragraph in chat.

Plus I guess I'm just a social player, I spent 90% of my in-game time talking to guildies on Vent.

I’ll admit for large raids I’ll give in and use TS, I can see the advantages of this tool. That being said it drives me insane when people insist on using it for a level 20-30 Flashpoint. I mean really you can pug this effectively without even typing “HI” into the chat window and yet they feel it requires such in depth instant coordination of voice chat!

Think whatever you want.

MMORPG players did 90+ man raids way before TS even was available. (raid groups in EQ were 12 groups of 6 chars = 72, and some guilds brought extra groups)

My guild on EQ, Saviours on Bertoxx, did those raids with half of that manpower and without voicechat and kept up with progression just fine.

If have done OPs in SWTOR already, without voicechat. Worked just fine, too.

Difference being those bosses didn't have any mechanics. Just mindless blocks of hp.

If you don't want to hang out on TS with friends while you play I feel very sorry for you because that's half the fun. If you really want to spend all that time typing ******** out and having delayed reactions because you have to type pertinent information out midfight (doing karagga or ev puzzle fights without vent would be hilarious to watch) then by all means, make your own guild and call it "We're from the 90's". Have your tagline be "we don't like to talk to other people or be efficient, but hey at least there's no chitchat!"

diaf

So what i heard was:

I demand to NOT hear or interact tactically in a mmo game, in a situation where you really might need to.

Seriously i am scared of how many people agreed on this and as a raider over many many years and heavy user of vent/mumble/ts3 i find it amazing.

Now i get why so many ppl cant find groups/ops/guilds, your just downright unsocial, and i usually remove player from raids/ops who refuse such things. Voice comms has earned me many friends over the years you should try it.

LFR -------> THAT WAY!

King, have you read some of the post? Have you not noticed how some people including the OP does not like it.

I HAVE A HEARING PROBLEM..... so.... how can i communicate in OPs?!

ALSO I TEND TO HAVE PROBLEMS CONCENTRATING WHEN PEOPLE ARE CHATTING TO ME... can't do anything about that. I personally have to read text to adjust information.

I bolded these points because you seem to have this pre-conceived idea that just because VOIP are not preferred by some that it's 'unsociable' which is downright rude!

no its rude for someone to rant that he got kicked from his guild because he can't get a headset to just LISTEN.

"my GF doesn't like the noise" is a really really bad reason.

Also, if someone talking to you is that distracting. I don't know how you even play an MMO. With all the music, and FX sounds. Not to mention all the visuals.

The faster and more effective communication is the better. Period.

If for some reason ppl have a 'fear' of voice comms i can only think they are older players that simply don't like the idea of an evolving communications system.

Hell, even FPS players use voice communication.

If you don't like conversing with your guild mates perhaps you should find a better guild? Unless you're in it just to win hardcore (and even then, the following still partially applies), then the whole point of a guild is to be around like-minded folks who like doing similar things.

EDIT--To the above poster: If my lady was annoyed by the sounds coming from my VOIP (she actually enjoys hearing what's happening, but hypothetically speaking) then that is reason enough for me to turn it off or get out of it. For me, my wife's comfort > all.

Edited by Lashknife

OP doesn't seem to really hate voicechat or claim its not as effective as normal chat. It's more that the useless non related chat during raids annoys him. This has nothing to do with voicechat itself. But with idiots in their team. I agree with that too. I find it also annoying if you have people who have their mic turned on constantly while eating chips. Or you hear their music. I really dont want to hear any background stuff from someone elses house while playing a game.

Seriously, isn't this thread just asking for flames?

I mean, back to a post I saw about evolution. Speaking is faster than writing, and easier. Thus, it's natural that we progressed to use it online.

Obviously, some people will have hearing issues and the like, and a good guild will make exceptions for that. However, just sitting in and listening to your raid shouldn't be an issue at all.

Your GF doesn't like the sound? What, you playing the game with all sounds muted?

You don't have a headset? With today's technology, they aren't expensive by any means.

If your just flat scared of entering into a channel where you'll hear a real persons voice, then your just following internet taboo beaten into you by social media.

Been asked to join a couple of PvP based guilds on my server, first question I always ask; "Do you require vent or ts?". If the answer is "yes", my answer is "die in a fire".

Last thing I need is some uneducated 15 year old kid screaming like a girl because someone didn't heal him properly/rolled higher than him/turned left instead of right/etc.