The "I hate TS (especially in OPs)" Thread

Been asked to join a couple of PvP based guilds on my server, first question I always ask; "Do you require vent or ts?". If the answer is "yes", my answer is "die in a fire".

Last thing I need is some uneducated 15 year old kid screaming like a girl because someone didn't heal him properly/rolled higher than him/turned left instead of right/etc.

And the last thing the rest of us need is some immature 12 year old that cries about team speak for illegitimate reasons in our group. You don't know us. You don't know how we act. You aren't even willing to get to know us. Why in the hell would we want to play with you anyways? You've already labeled us all as 15 year olds. Maybe that's your real problem, not the "evil" voice chat.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no its rude for someone to rant that he got kicked from his guild because he can't get a headset to just LISTEN.

"my GF doesn't like the noise" is a really really bad reason.

Also, if someone talking to you is that distracting. I don't know how you even play an MMO. With all the music, and FX sounds. Not to mention all the visuals.

The faster and more effective communication is the better. Period.

If for some reason ppl have a 'fear' of voice comms i can only think they are older players that simply don't like the idea of an evolving communications system.

Hell, even FPS players use voice communication.

It depends entirely about how the guild was set up. If the guild was not set up with the 'must have headset/VOIP' info, then being kicked is unfair. If it did have it, then the OP cannot complain. Because I don't know the official set up of the guild I can neither support or argue against the OP, but i can argue against people who have put forward arguments for and against TS in general, is what I did.

Onto your second sentence, let me break it down so you can understand my reasoning.

I actually have a hearing problem. Sounds are distorted and very hard to make out. What that means is I have to be looking at the person to lip read in order to understand the noise coming out of their mouth. Otherwise it hits me as a load of random sounds in which I cannot make out. headphones help, but only to certain people, if someone has an accent or too low or too high a voice, its extremely difficult and i have to stop everything i am doing to concentrate hard on what the person is saying often requiring the person to repeat themselves a couple of times.

Music however doesn't have words in Star Wars. Sound Effects are quite easy to work out, as they accompany the visuals on the screen. - Launch a grenade, a sound of explosion to follow.

Accompanying the voice over in cinematics is subtitles allowing me to piece together the words more accurately by usage of text on the screen. Voice alone and I would not be able to follow.

Overall, some people for other reason other than mine, might just prefer to sit quietly without having to hear others go on or participate in conversation. You need to accept that just because you like using the VOIP many others don't. I have met plenty who would rather not for different reasons. Its not about fear, there might be some who are nervous or shy, but there are many reasons.

I never once denied that VOIP is faster and easier. I have however stated that text chat is doable.

P.S/EDIT: I will say again which i have done several times is the OP needs to find a guild that does not require VOIP to participate in.

Edited by BounceZ

EDIT--To the above poster: If my lady was annoyed by the sounds coming from my VOIP (she actually enjoys hearing what's happening, but hypothetically speaking) then that is reason enough for me to turn it off or get out of it. For me, my wife's comfort > all.

Agreed, I have a house mate who sleeps above the room I am playing the game in. Any noise from the TV wakes him up so I tend to play with the sound completely down.

Headphones will help those in normal circumstances, but like my previous post, not everyone likes using VOIP and can be for a number of reasons, and therefor should not have to feel obliged to get a headset. It doesn't necessarily mean they don't like the people much, it might just be a preference they have.

Like my previous post though, I do think the OP should get a new guild in which the VOIP is not compulsory. If he was on the Ravager server I would suggest he joined my guild.

- I raided a lot in the past without any voicechat. 3 years of Everquest and 2 years of Vanguard endgame raids with an asian-pacific guild, we rocked and voice chat was never needed.

I'm in the same boat. I played those games as a hardcore raider and we did everything via text. I resisted voice comms when they first started being used. Eventually, though, I started using them and they make a world of difference. I'll never go back. Voice comms are the new normal in online gaming, that's just how it is. Either adapt or fall behind.

Yeah, voicechat is lame! Nightmare ops should disallow the use of voice chat to increase the difficulty :p

While we're at it, let's make the screen randomly blank out too. Because seeing what you're doing makes it too easy, and all the players jumping around all the time gets really annoying :D

This thread is ridiculous, and I'm amazed it is still going on. Don't like VoIP? Join a guild that doesn't use or require it. Easy.

And the last thing the rest of us need is some immature 12 year old that cries about team speak for illegitimate reasons in our group. You don't know us. You don't know how we act. You aren't even willing to get to know us. Why in the hell would we want to play with you anyways? You've already labeled us all as 15 year olds. Maybe that's your real problem, not the "evil" voice chat.

Clearly my experiences of the usage of the previously aforementioned application offend you.

This makes me happy inside.

Been asked to join a couple of PvP based guilds on my server, first question I always ask; "Do you require vent or ts?". If the answer is "yes", my answer is "die in a fire".

Last thing I need is some uneducated 15 year old kid screaming like a girl because someone didn't heal him properly/rolled higher than him/turned left instead of right/etc.

You do realise you can just mute people like that right?

The VoIP haters really seem unable to adapt to the fact that sometimes things are popular for a reason and just come across as a bunch of pretentious elitists for refusing to use it if asked.

I used to be an adamant no voice chat player. I played WoW, and SWG for over 2 years without it. Never needed it, never wanted it. As a result, I can type just as fast as I can talk, with little to no errors. In EvE I started to use voice-chat... now I see both ends of the argument.

The Pro-Voice-chatters are saying "It is somehow easier to coordinate via voice-chat". There is this sense of feeling everything is working, when you use Voice-chat. Where-as in typing you just wait for a reply, or hope they read what you typed.

The Anti-Voice-chatters argument is that you shouldn't have to use Voice-chat in PvE, and I believe in PvP also. This works also, as I have run just as fast as I did with voice-chat through KP. The difference, is when you use voice-chat, EVERYONE has to be in your voice-chat or its worthless. Coordinating this can easily cancel out the benefits of having said voice-chat in the first place.

The reason, I believe, we all can't just get along, is that Voice-chat requires everyone to have voice-chat, and non-voice-chat requires just one not to have it. What would be nice, is if Bioware implemented a system to allow Teamspeak, Mumble, Ventrilo, etc. to speak into the game-server. Thus, letting us all use what we want, but also making it easy to get everyone to use the system, when you want to. Now you would just have to deal with the populous who is impolite, and doesn't care about your ears... but then again people are impolite about many things, so deal with this just as you would something else. Weather that be ignore them, put them on your ignore list, ask them to stop, etc. Of course, Bioware probably won't implement this, so the arguments and debates go on...

By the way, the Anti-Voice-Chat wins on this one, and always will. So long as one person is anti-voice-chat in the group, your going to use typing. For every person you convince to use voice-chat, another comes along.

I used to be an adamant no voice chat player. I played WoW, and SWG for over 2 years without it. Never needed it, never wanted it. As a result, I can type just as fast as I can talk, with little to no errors. In EvE I started to use voice-chat... now I see both ends of the argument.

The Pro-Voice-chatters are saying "It is somehow easier to coordinate via voice-chat". There is this sense of feeling everything is working, when you use Voice-chat. Where-as in typing you just wait for a reply, or hope they read what you typed.

The Anti-Voice-chatters argument is that you shouldn't have to use Voice-chat in PvE, and I believe in PvP also. This works also, as I have run just as fast as I did with voice-chat through KP. The difference, is when you use voice-chat, EVERYONE has to be in your voice-chat or its worthless. Coordinating this can easily cancel out the benefits of having said voice-chat in the first place.

The reason, I believe, we all can't just get along, is that Voice-chat requires everyone to have voice-chat, and non-voice-chat requires just one not to have it. What would be nice, is if Bioware implemented a system to allow Teamspeak, Mumble, Ventrilo, etc. to speak into the game-server. Thus, letting us all use what we want, but also making it easy to get everyone to use the system, when you want to. Now you would just have to deal with the populous who is impolite, and doesn't care about your ears... but then again people are impolite about many things, so deal with this just as you would something else. Weather that be ignore them, put them on your ignore list, ask them to stop, etc. Of course, Bioware probably won't implement this, so the arguments and debates go on...

By the way, the Anti-Voice-Chat wins on this one, and always will. So long as one person is anti-voice-chat in the group, your going to use typing. For every person you convince to use voice-chat, another comes along.

If theres only one you remove him from the group and search another one who is willing to use VoIP.

If you type you waste enough time on typing.. those secs could and will affect your healing or dps.

Voice is always faster than typing.

Not that it would be required in this game...

I understand some individuals frustration about feeling they shouldn't have to use a Voice over Net Program... and you don't. Just don't be raging mad because no one wants to raid with you. Many guilds make it a pre-req to even join, because they don't want to be typing for a half an hour. Especially when its hardmodes/nightmare mode raids... When people are running around they seldom look at chat when they are dodging exploding lightning balls, while trying to dps... and keep themselves alive... and etc etc. When someone is on voice, you can just say.... HEY (target individual) move to (XYZ) or you can watch them explode as you type something out, and they fail to see it.

On the flip side, I guess if you have memorized every single nuance of every single boss encounter of the game, and so have every member of your raid... Then you should be pro raiders and not need to type or talk, making hundreds of thousands of dollars in competition gaming.

For some of us, the whole point of raiding or battleground pvping is that it's a reason to get together and have fun in vent. Raiding without voice chat would be like having a barbeque and banning people from talking (it's just about the food, damn it! what's all this chit chat??? shut up everyone!) - what's the point?

my guild has a rule that everyone uses push to talk..so that cuts down on inane chitchat during fights..and the general bad noises people make, heavy breathing, eating etc..but i would chose not to use it if i had a choice..text chat works fine for me.

• 5 years later...

The Guild I joined uses TV for O'CONNOR and Ops as well as Raids and PvP. I get the OP too. I don't like irrelevant information or chatter. Guilds in the past I joined never used it. Maybe it's me and the only one in the guild who feels it's invasive. Honestly never got into it once, maybe I'm just too private.

But it was a requirement to get a promotion in the guild till it was changed. I figured id never get off the 'initiate' rank.

The Guild I joined uses TV for O'CONNOR and Ops as well as Raids and PvP. I get the OP too. I don't like irrelevant information or chatter. Guilds in the past I joined never used it. Maybe it's me and the only one in the guild who feels it's invasive. Honestly never got into it once, maybe I'm just too private.

But it was a requirement to get a promotion in the guild till it was changed. I figured id never get off the 'initiate' rank.

Holy thread necromancy, Batman.