2/22/2012 -> Can we get an update on where the Combat Log is?

TheRealCrucifer

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you supposed to "improve yourself through trial and error" if there's no way to see if what you are doing now is working?

Perhaps they wanted the game to be more story driven then numbers based. The only "extra" this game needed at launch was a U.I that could be customized and a easier LFG tool.

They expected everyone who played the game to be a fan of Star Wars and want to explore the game and questline rather t hen blow through to 50.

Truth is that there is nothing that they can add to endgame that will satisfy that type of player without ignoring every other aspect of the game. Its has been that way since the earliest days of mmorpgs and not likely to change any time soon

I'm asking politely. This is the #1 biggest issue with SWTOR right now...

Can we get a word on why it is taking so long for this to be implemented when it is so crucial to everything in the game...

wrong,

the #1 is FIX that god dm BUGS ASAP.

make ur product complete,

or return users their MONEY and wasted time.

Edited by oakamp

A combat log seems so simple and easy. Heck even games that arent mmos have them.

KOTOR, a single player Bioware game released in 2003, had one. Not only did it display all damage made and received, it also showed the results of every single d20 roll.

So I agree the exclusion here, in this game, is a little weird.

I'm ambivalent about combat logs. In WoW, I had mods installed that accessed the log, but I never looked at it much myself, unless I got jacked in PvP and wanted to see how hard I was crit before I died.

Given that the content in SWTOR seems faceroll easy for a lot of players, I'm confused why this is a pressing topic.

The game is easy. Trash and bosses die. People get loot. I don't really care about anyone's hard DPS numbers or healing throughput.

Introduce flashpoints and ops where these things matter, and then I'll care more.

Edited by Dayfax

Seriously, you need a combat log in this game? Is it that hard? You can't read your abilities and see which ones do the most damage, which talents cause your abilities to do more damage?

I've said it before, I'll say it again. When this game becomes a math problem, I'll cancel. I hate math.

This.

this QQing from people who think they cannot improve their character or blame someone for loosing withouth combat log is getting boring.

You can improve... well, you can guess you've improved but you never have the data to back it up. You can't do math without numbers, feeling * (stylefactor * biggest numbers comes first)= dps is not that awesome to work with.

There was a time in your gaming life that you didn't even know what the abbreviation DPS meant.

Instead, you improved over time and learned how things work, just like anything else in life.

Trying to single someone out as being "bad" when they are simply inexperienced and could use some practice/advice is exactly the attitude that has turned these games from a primarily social beast into a cesspool for youngsters to swim around in and splash all the adults.

OR

without them the people that are "bad" never realize they're bad and thus never do anything to improve their performance.

without them competitive raiding is non existent, which would be bad for the game in the long run

without them competitive pvp is non existent, which would be bad for the game in the long run

players never really know what their particular class does well (aoe/single target) compared to other classes, making optimizing for a given encounter the same as throwing a dart blindfolded

because optimization for encounters isn't truly possible, encounters need to be kept simple and extremely forgiving as they are now...boring

the player base is ignorant to the severity of class imbalance and therefore what should normally be obvious fixes (nerfs/buffs) go unaddressed because BW doesn't have people on their case about it. player feedback is important, even if it is often no more than whining

players that are used to having logs from playing almost any MMO of the past decade become frustrated by not being able to analyze themselves or others in order to make improvements and slowly but surely go back to a game that allows them to

WHICH SCENARIO WOULD YOU PREFER?

In order to spare their feelings the "bads" get to continue being bad at other players expense?

OR

We add combat logs and the "bads" are occasionally held accountable for their lack of interest in being decent at the game but we get to avoid all the negative results of no combat logs I listed above?

What's up you guys having trouble clearing the content without combat logs lol? :rolleyes:

Nah vice versa, problem is the content is too easy. It HAS to be faceroll easy because we don't have simple features like a combat log or a decent UI with things like target of target and focus target target.

Bored to death of it already. Many people enjoy the numbers game and being able to compare classes down to the smallest detail. It adds another immersion level for many many people. The people that don't care can go on not caring.

Nah vice versa, problem is the content is too easy. It HAS to be faceroll easy because we don't have simple features like a combat log or a decent UI with things like target of target and focus target target.

Bored to death of it already. Many people enjoy the numbers game and being able to compare classes down to the smallest detail. It adds another immersion level for many many people. The people that don't care can go on not caring.

Until the inevitable intrusion from all angles comes in, forcing those who don't care to care or otherwise be kicked to the curb due to comparative number crunching which may or may not be done with proper scientific methodology. Sure, some folks do it very, very well - others enjoy having a bottom-line number to be exclusionary.

Either way, it still changes things for everyone. It changes how content is developed and how groups are made. It helps to change attitudes, and in some cases it brings out very good teachers, but it also can bring out very bad behaviors.

So, all in all, it's not just something that's put in and then used by a part of the populace. It eventually becomes the all-consuming factor in grouping, development and even guild acceptance.

I say this only because of other MMO experiences where I have seen it happen in the community. All in all, it's a good tool, but even the best of tools can be used poorly or improperly.

I was trying to get both sides of the argument there, not sure I did. At any rate, that's a piece of my opinion.

Edited by Degarmo

I don't think I'll mind to much, if and when it comes.

Frankly it will make it easier for me to choose the people that I want to play the game with. I will be able to dissociate with those that, by their own choice, choose not to treat this as a simple and pleasurable diversion from everyday life.

Don't worry guy there will, and always will be, people that do not play the numbers game, and those people have been playing PC games for years. Others can, and do call us 'bads' with little or no provocation, but like water off a ducks back it goes somewhat unnoticed....well that's my take on it, a highly personal one at that.

The game will go on, players will group up, and people will find like minded folks, and all will have fun. Also trust that the developers will appease both sides, it can be done, and done well, their are games out there that prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Let the meters come, let the combat logs flow like rain...it won't matter to me at all. let's get this over with, the sooner, the better.

Play your game, and I'll play mine.

Edited by JediElf

No one is scared.

Like I said, I hope that these meters come quickly. The sooner they arrive, the sooner we can determine who we really want to group with.

I may (or may not) use a meter to improve myself, but I would not, and will not, group with those who choose to use them as a means to belittle others, and as a way to separate, label, and judge harshly those around them.

It's a tool, not a weapon.

We've forgotten about that.

Edited by JediElf

I don't think I'll mind to much, if and when it comes.

Frankly it will make it easier for me to choose the people that I want to play the game with. I will be able to dissociate with those that, by their own choice, choose not to treat this as a simple and pleasurable diversion from everyday life.

Don't worry guy there will, and always will be, people that do not play the numbers game, and those people have been playing PC games for years. Others can, and do call us 'bads' with little or no provocation, but like water off a ducks back it goes somewhat unnoticed....well that's my take on it, a highly personal one at that.

The game will go on, players will group up, and people will find like minded folks, and all will have fun. Also trust that the developers will appease both sides, it can be done, and done well, their are games out there that prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Let the meters come, let the combat logs flow like rain...it won't matter to me at all. let's get this over with, the sooner, the better.

Play your game, and I'll play mine.

I HAD to quote this. This is a great post.

My guild will not be using meters as we are already clearing all of the HM flashpoints and raids anyway. Why would I worry about what other people think of my DPS or anyone else's DPS in my guild if we are never going to party with those people? There is no need so bring on the meters. They will be of no use to me.

as much as having one would be good, for several reasons listed in this thread, theres also the factor that peaks its evil head out, and that is the abiltiy to belittle people. with it, (if it were to allow the ability to see others people damage/healing whatever) people will just tell other people in flashpoints/operations that they suck.

the problem is we will see the "Bad" Trump the "good" in every aspect. for example, look at WoW, no one ever uses combat logs for good anymore, they only really use it to belittle others to make them feel "good" about them selves, and to think they are better then the other player they just made feel bad or upset.

Im clearing all of the content just fine without using some stupid meter. Glad my guild will never use it and still get through all of the raids and what not.

That is cause ToT nightmare modes are easiest raid content in MMOs hands down. Without DPS meters, they can never put any serious fights into the game cause you cant divide goods and bads in anyway atm so content has to be this level that almost anyone can do it.

Same goes for competetive PvP, there wont be any before meters are in the game cause you cant balance classes in any way without knowing how much dmg each ability exactly does or prevents.

Edited by Forsbacka

I'm asking politely. This MY #1 biggest issue with SWTOR right now...

Can we get a word on why it is taking so long for this to be implemented when it is so crucial to everything in the game...

There I fixed it for you.

Don't you just hate it when people say what my biggest problem is with the game, with out consulting me?

more important than pvp? definitely. the % of players that pvp is pretty low compared to pve.

ahahaha go back to single player games man

combat log more important than the terrible optimization that causes 5 fps Ilum fights, not to mention all the additional PvP bugs. :rolleyes:

as if you need a combat log in this game's PvE. you can faceroll through all content, stop whining.

Edited by dnomz