'If' the game goes F2P, What happens?

KiaThas

Googled it but i cant really use the info placed there to make useful in aspect of this game.

I'm not saying nor implying the game will go f2p but..

What happens if it does, do we get free content etc? whats been the norm for other games which have gone f2p like dc universe for example.

Seem's a little unfair that players are getting the the same content without having to pay the initial start up of £30 or whatever it is now...

Any speculation?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't happen for awhile. They have a pipeline of content they will release and try to string subs out. I expect more micro-transactions as well. If the assets handling isn't fixed soon... look for D3 and GW2 to put the proverbial "nail in the coffin." Edited by Sizzurps

"free to play" basically means no monthly subscribtion fee..

Usually it ends with the player paying more than they used to per month to play the game though,since you have to pay to do all the worthwhile stuff and/or remove limitations..

The game that set the standard is DDO. They allow Premium players access to all

content, classes, and races. Also more character slots and 500 Turbine Points per

month. Most FtP games these days follow the same ideal. FtP players have limited access to all of the above.

However the reported 2 million player base means you may be a little premature with

the doom and gloom scenario for TOR.

:cool:

The game that set the standard is DDO. They allow Premium players access to all

content, classes, and races. Also more character slots and 500 Turbine Points per

month. Most FtP games these days follow the same ideal. FtP players have limited access to all of the above.

However the reported 2 million player base means you may be a little premature with

the doom and gloom scenario for TOR.

:cool:

Of-course of-course, this is what I wanted to hear really.

Yeah your right, just with the server's lightening up im becoming a little worried, however, I was told to expect this after the 1st 2 months or so.

A bajillion people come to play this game and Bioware makes reee-donkulous amounts of money. The internet hounds will bark and whine "fail, fail, fail" but the truth is that freemium flat out makes more money than P2P unless you're WoW. It's still much too early to make such a drastic move though, freemium conversions need to be very carefully considered and planned. You need merely look at some of the games that have made that switch to see how it can be done (Turbine) and how it most definitely shouldn't be done (Sony).

Of course Sony as a whole is a fine example of how a great many things shouldn't be done.

If SWTOR cames to a F2P mode, i don't know abut them, but i know at the least I leave for sure!

IMO That's just a modern scam that never brings nothing realy good for the games at all!!:eek:

They are never realy " free" as they say, it's always a form of scam...and the players ended up being the scamed ones, especialy the old and loyal veterans of that games!:(

If SWTOR cames to a F2P mode, i don't know abut them, but i know at the least I leave for sure!

IMO That's just a modern scam that never brings nothing realy good for the games at all!!:eek:

They are never realy " free" as they say, it's always a form of scam...and the players ended up being the scamed ones, especialy the old and loyal veterans of that games!:(

I must I dont like the idea of free to play models, players which were loyal from the start seem to have been neglected if movements such as this.

Lets hope if the game goes down this path they copy sony and give the players which bought the game free content. (I dont wish for this to happen).

The game seem's to have too many sub's at the moment for it to happen, with future content patches I can only imagine it going up and up.

What'll basically happen if the game goes free to play, (if ever, IMO, it prob won't) is that populations numbers will spike TREMENDOUSLY. Basically, how they earn money is through microtransactions (usually costing a couple USD), and they'll rake up a TON of money that way.

Lineage 2 went free to play, and apparently, their numbers increased by 800%, and earnings skyrocketed. LoL went free to play, and they're STILL going strong. TF2 went free to play, and Valve is probably making a mint off the microtransactions going on.

In fact, the freemium model is definitely more profitable than the subscription model. The reason why WoW is still this profitable is because there are people shelling out tons of money for the "exclusive" mounts, pets, and also server transfers and such and such.

The mentality that most people have is that since it's not required, they can shell out some money for an item that probably isn't necessary, but nice to have. Hell, I probably spend more money a month on F2P games than SWTOR.

Of-course of-course, this is what I wanted to hear really.

Yeah your right, just with the server's lightening up im becoming a little worried, however, I was told to expect this after the 1st 2 months or so.

How much they pay? You can PM me, don't worry. You know, with the crisis and all... money is money!

Usually it ends with the player paying more than they used to per month to play the game though,since you have to pay to do all the worthwhile stuff and/or remove limitations..

For the rare few pay more then a monthly fee, everyone else pays some where between $5-8 per month if they are paying anything at all. I have seen several F2P MMO developers state that the big spenders are very rare, and the amount to reach the big spending per month was $15 a month. Most people go well below $15 per month.

Lol, I like to look at it this way, but im merely asking if we will have to pay for content in the futer whilst other players are getting stuff for free what we previously paid for.

I'm sure that's the way it would work. There would be a large influx of microtransactions for really annoying things like new colour crystals, different pieces of gear, and content expansions. I'd be very displeased with that type of system, but I also have the option to not pay for anything.

In reality, I think it's a much better economic decision from consumer's point of view. At the time, I may be upset that I had to pay $5 in order to get a white colour crystal one month and $5 for a new set of gloves the following month, but it's 1/3 of the price that I would've paid for the subscription.

I think it's a terrible business model, though. The subscription certainly seems like the optimum business strategy from EA/BioWare's point of view, but it does grant the consumers with considerably more say. A consumer threatening to unsub isn't just a loss of $15 for that current month, but a $15/month loss based on how long they would've continued to play.

they need to put content FAST and fix their stuff or else once TERA and gw2 gonna be release they will loose wayyyyyyyy more subs

Why do people keep thinking GW2 will kill off subs? It is like buying a single player game.

I will likely check it out but no reason to cancel my sub over it.

It means thta it would have a lot bigger player base and that its possible to make much more money with micro transactions on big player base than on monthly feee on smalle one. F2P aint a bad thing by default, if they at some point count that f2p would bring more money, they will put it as f2p.

Then I save $15 a month and still play

I'd much rather pay a measly $15 a month and get unlimited access to current and new content than it be F2P and have to pay real money every time they release a new armor set, flashpoint, etc, etc. Not to mention most games that go F2P gimp the game right out of the gate making several classes/races/planets/etc cost extra money to "unlock".

Edited by Galbatorrix

I paid for 6 month subscription to give this game a fair trial. At this point I don't think I'll be continuing my sub unless they really impress me before then.

Still playing it while I have an active account though, no reason not too tbh.

I still have alot of fun leveling toons by PvP and the storyline alone.

Funny how PvP while leveling is much more fun than PvP at 50.

I've played lots of good Free to Play games. Yes, there's always a catch to make you dig into your pockets and the "wallet warriors" will roflstomp you with Daddy's credit card, but they don't all have to be the kiss of death like people make them out to be. Biggest issue is just that if you want to progress as far/as fast as others, you have to bite the carrot. Edited by Abanoth