No Cross Realm LFG tool please!

MUFanatic

This was a business decision that effects its customers. If you think they made it on a whim, I have a bridge to sell you.

Ohhhhh, there ya go! And every business decision that companies make is always the best decision...

Got stock in Enron, do you? Probably next to your stash of Worldcom stock? Or, how about Netflix's decision to split their company... then not!

Edited by Meldwyn

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohhhhh, there ya go! And every business decision that companies make is always the best decision...

Got stock in Enron, do you? Probably next to your stash of Worldcom stock? Or, how about Netflix's decision to split their company... then not!

Oh, I see. Now you're a financial adviser, too? Every post it's becoming more ironic you chose to use the term "straw man argument".

I'll trust their data and this company decision over the circle of friends you share that "all loved the X-server LFG tool".

It helps that I share the opinion, of course. Being right is fun.

Edited by IIII-IIII-IIII

Oh, I see. Now you're a financial adviser, too? Every post it's becoming more ironic you chose to use the term "straw man argument".

I'll trust their data and this company decision over the circle of friends you share that "all loved the X-server LFG tool".

It helps that I share the opinion, of course. Being right is fun.

You chose this argument with me, but you never answer my questions...

Do you have any personal experience pre and post LFG in WoW?

And, btw, you don't have to be a financial adviser to know that what happened to Enron, Worldcom, and Netflix was about bad "business decisions" (two are now bankrupt and no longer exist, and one had to roll back their decision when customers made an uproar). And, I am confident they did all their research and never made decisions on a whim... which apparently you are confident in with Bioware... because... you are an employee???

You chose this argument with me, but you never answer my questions...

Do you have any personal experience pre and post LFG in WoW?

Yes. Including Pre-WoW, in fact.

And, btw, you don't have to be a financial adviser to know that what happened to Enron, Worldcom, and Netflix was about bad "business decisions"

I certainly know there's more to being a legitimate financial adviser than having a circle of friends that share your opinion on investments.

That much is obvious.

It wasn't added. There is literally zero debate about that. You can argue their merit on coming to the decision but I'll trust their business sense over your insular opinion.

Edited by IIII-IIII-IIII

Yes. Including Pre-WoW, in fact.

I certainly know there's more to being a legitimate financial adviser than having a circle of friends that share your opinion on investments.

That much is obvious.

Okay, making some progress here...

So, in your experience, did the implementation of a cross server LFG tool destroy your community? Did you friends and guild mates hate it and decide to not play as a result? (not trying to be smart here, just asking questions to understand other people's experience on the subject, because mine was not negative in the least).

And, again, its not about being a "financial adviser" to make business decisions. At least, I hope that BW or EA's financial advisers (accounting team) aren't making decisions about what to include and not include in SW as tools for users to enjoy the game. That would surely tank this game.

They should make LFG tool with toggle option between search on the server and cross-realm search so that everyone can have their prefered option, players which want to only group with players on the servers they play on and players which dont mind grouping with players from other realms and want to get their groups faster.

Cross-realm option is necesary for those players which play republic on the servers which dont have high population.

Edited by Lunablade

Okay, making some progress here...

So, in your experience, did the implementation of a cross server LFG tool destroy your community? Did you friends and guild mates hate it and decide to not play as a result? (not trying to be smart here, just asking questions to understand other people's experience on the subject, because mine was not negative in the least).

To exhaust the same, at this point repetitive, responses you already know very well is pointless and only caters to your sense of entitlement.

You know the side. You know the responses. You know the general cadence to the debate. The only purpose of the exercise is to satisfy your ego on why "you're right and I'm wrong".

Neither side will agree. Only one got what they wished for.

Sorry your side didn't come out ahead. Perhaps it will in the future, though. Until then, any line by line dissecting of justification is irrelevant.

BioWare saw merit to not implement X-server. Case closed. Unsub or enjoy!

For the record, my suggestion all along to address the FP/LFG debate/downtime was in this order:

• Merge servers
  • Same Server LFG
  • X-Server LFG

Edited by IIII-IIII-IIII

I think it will be something assessed in the future. But, even low population realms may find that because a person doesn't have to sit in fleet to form a group, more people may actually form groups than before. It is definitely more enticing to form a group when I can be off doing my dailies or completing quests while leveling.

I'm glad that they started with single server. Because PVP is cross-server, the backbone will be there to extend it to LFG if they feel that it will benefit servers more than harm communities.

So nice of you to provide a mature response.

Check those servers again at peak times then. You'll find there's not a whole lot of difference.

But my point remains, there are too many servers with the playerbase spread amongst them. Bioware should merge together a good amount of them in order to bulk up the population on servers so that there isn't a need for a Cross-Server LFD Tool.

Sorry, i tend to get pretty sarcastic when someone misses something blatantly obvious. Regardless, your point about merging a handful of the lowest pop servers, is not a bad one. Character xfer's opening potentially will deepen that problem. A few mergers prior would be better.

My EU server was heavy/full during the first month, it now barely hits standard during EU prime time.

It is because they upped the pop. cap/numbers to get each level.

The urban legend of "destroyed communities" from a cross server LFG tool... I would really like to see verifiable proof of this ever happening.

I never experienced it and never heard about it happening pre and post LFG in WoW.

This is a straw man argument that doesn't hold any water once you peel back the emotions. There is no good reason to not have a cross server LFG tool. Everyone that I know from WoW that was there pre and post, loved the change. Ate it up... but then we all turned in to selfish ninja b***s that cursed everyone and kicked our friends from runs too... J/K! :D

I played on Twisting Nether pre and post LFG system. I loved it when it was first just single server, you could run around while looking for a group, you got to know people.

When they implemented the cross server, get rewards for doing randoms or specifics style, it turned into, sit in SW till cue pops, run through herioc. leave. Rinse, repeat. every once in a LONG while you got a nice person to chat to. Most of the time, however i saw either people being idiots, or people being extremely rude. I was a feral druid tank, so i saw a fair amount of various people. Cross server allows people to ninja more, be idiots, and be rude with little to no consequences. That is a fact.

Cross server allows people to ninja more, be idiots, and be rude with little to no consequences. That is a fact.

I don't think this is necessarily an accurate statement. People who are going to be rude or idiotic or ninja items are likely going to do it whether it is single server or cross server.

The difference is - on single server, you begin to know who those people are either through personal experience or word of mouth. Because of this, you learn who to avoid or to remove from your groups.

With a cross server, the selection pool is larger, so you're exposed to more people willing to ninja, be idiots, and be rude. The other downside is that it is harder to keep track of all those people you don't want to be grouped with.

To exhaust the same, at this point repetitive, responses you already know very well is pointless and only caters to your sense of entitlement.

You know the side. You know the responses. You know the general cadence to the debate. The only purpose of the exercise is to satisfy your ego on why "you're right and I'm wrong".

Neither side will agree. Only one got what they wished for.

Sorry your side didn't come out ahead. Perhaps it will in the future, though. Until then, any line by line dissecting of justification is irrelevant.

BioWare saw merit to not implement X-server. Case closed. Unsub or enjoy!

/sigh...

Well..., I guess the answer is no, you had no issues with a destroyed community as a result of the LFG tool. Which falls in line with my previous assertion on the subject. It is an "urban legend" that no one can prove. (not saying someone or many people didn't have some negative experiences with it, but it never was the one big bad thing that destroyed an in-game community).

BW made a decision based upon their own likes and dislikes (could have been a dev in a meeting, a developer through an executive order, or one employee who championed for not including it, etc...). There weren't mounds of empirical evidence to prove that cross server LFG tools kill all kinds of things including microorganism. Heck, I wish people in companies made decisions all the time with mounds of empirical evidence... but, sadly, they don't. More often than not, its personal taste that someone just happens to be passionate about.

And, to be honest, I don't mind that they are making their own decisions as a company, they should. Sometimes, that's the best way to go. Sometimes, it leads to customer attrition and eventual failure.

Where this decision falls is yet to be seen.

I played on Twisting Nether pre and post LFG system. I loved it when it was first just single server, you could run around while looking for a group, you got to know people.

When they implemented the cross server, get rewards for doing randoms or specifics style, it turned into, sit in SW till cue pops, run through herioc. leave. Rinse, repeat. every once in a LONG while you got a nice person to chat to. Most of the time, however i saw either people being idiots, or people being extremely rude. I was a feral druid tank, so i saw a fair amount of various people. Cross server allows people to ninja more, be idiots, and be rude with little to no consequences. That is a fact.

Galakrond here.

Don't get me wrong. Every tool can be abused. But it isn't the tool that destroys the community, its the people.

I was a tank as well (warrior) and if I had a bad experience with the tool, I chalked it up to a bad experience, not a community killing monster. Heck, as a tank, I had as many bad experiences prior to the implementation as after.

Before the LFG tool, were you not spamming Trade chat for groups in a major city, most likely Dalaran? What's the difference?

Um, excuse me? I'm not spreading lies or making anything up. Seriously why would I do that?

Go look at this link:

http://www.swtor.com/server-status

It tells you right there the population of the EU servers. Out of around 90 Servers, 17 of those are Standard Population and the rest are Light.

Please do your research before you accuse me of telling lies.

And this is.. during the day. And despite what some people without jobs might think; that is not MMO primetime. That some are Standard even during the afternoon speaks well of the game. Most are Standard or Heavy during primetime.

Also, you said all EU servers are Light in your post. That is the lie I called you on.

--edit--

For the record, I will again repeat that I do agree on your point that servers, especially the constantly low-pop ones, need to be consolidated for a single server LFG-tool to work.

It is just that you simply told something that is not true what I am debating here. And also, primetime does look different. And no, I do not feel like prooving that by checking server status in 3-4 hours to proove my point as I know I am right and I prefer to spend my time playing the game instead of involving myself in a useless discussion about easilly checked facts. Especially because, by now.. the 17 you mentioned already grew to 29 Standard servers at 3pm CET and 2pm GMT.

--edit2--

Sorry, I meant 33, not 29.

Edited by Devlonir

I don't think this is necessarily an accurate statement. People who are going to be rude or idiotic or ninja items are likely going to do it whether it is single server or cross server.

The difference is - on single server, you begin to know who those people are either through personal experience or word of mouth. Because of this, you learn who to avoid or to remove from your groups.

With a cross server, the selection pool is larger, so you're exposed to more people willing to ninja, be idiots, and be rude. The other downside is that it is harder to keep track of all those people you don't want to be grouped with.

Prime reason why I prefer and hope a lot of other people would prefer, single server.

You're struggling man. It's amusing, really.

Why exactly did you respond to my first post if you don't want to dialogue? You come across as a dismissive conversationalist. Someone who has to attack the person without addressing the topic.

I guess you think you are cute with your "strafe run" comments? :rolleyes:

For the record, I personally believe it creates stronger guilds. Especially if people have had bad experiences and decide only to run things with known associates (i.e. guild mates, online associates).

This is a good point actually. My guild in WoW has grown sence the implementation of the "Looking for Raid" tool. Several of us get together and que up using it and enjoy the runs and congratulate each other on gear roll wins, etc. The nice thing about it is...we can do it when we want to and have the time. And no need to worry about a point system, etc. The ignore list works well for those you donot wish to run with again. One of the best features ever added to WoW was the "Looking for Group" tool.

Galakrond here.

Don't get me wrong. Every tool can be abused. But it isn't the tool that destroys the community, its the people.

I was a tank as well (warrior) and if I had a bad experience with the tool, I chalked it up to a bad experience, not a community killing monster. Heck, as a tank, I had as many bad experiences prior to the implementation as after.

Before the LFG tool, were you not spamming Trade chat for groups in a major city, most likely Dalaran? What's the difference?

The time i truly enjoyed it was more TBC era, so shattrath, but same concept. I loved that LFG system because you could queue for 3 dungeons you wanted to do, be seen in an "lfg pool" so to speak, and you go about your business, you didn't have to spam trade, but you could.

so true. If they allowed cross server "do not group me with" options, that would be great. Just knowing that it exists may be enough for people to not be clowns.

Why exactly did you respond to my first post if you don't want to dialogue? You come across as a dismissive conversationalist. Someone who has to attack the person without addressing the topic.

I guess you think you are cute with your "strafe run" comments? :rolleyes:

Because there is no debate? I just found it amusing you tried to use the "straw man argument" statement only to pass off your own to support your position.

Pointing that out doesn't equate to engaging in a debate. Again, there is zero debate. That's what my first statement highlighted.

The only thing that is cute is your bloviating about your circle of friends enjoying X-Server and making references to failed corporate businesses as your reasoning. As if that's some profound sence of logic.

Edited by IIII-IIII-IIII

so true. If they allowed cross server "do not group me with" options, that would be great. Just knowing that it exists may be enough for people to not be clowns.

All they would need to do is what Blizz did with thier ignore feature. Anyone you put on your ignore list, you will never be qued with them again in a looking for group tool.