"Tab" targeting. A nightmare.

Verill

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure this has been posted already, but in case someone missed it, you melee dps know that you can set the tab button (or any button you like) to "Target NEAREST enemy" right?

I don't believe there is one for center screen, so it doesn't helped ranged much, but melee has nothing to complain about

Repost from my original message:

As a person who pvp's all the time I have to say that the tab targeting systems is one of the WORST I have ever seen in a game.

I am also aware that you can change the targeting to nearest enemy which really does NOT always work.

I am calling for a fix for the normal Tab targeting...

I cant tell you how many times I have to tab to hit the person DEAD CENTER of my screen. Some times 3-8 times I hit tab before it FINALLY targets that person in the center of my screen which by then is way to late.

Can we PLEASE fix this issue soon. I have tried every single TAB xxxx key you can select and NONE of them work well. If you use Target nearest enemy that really screws up when you have to tab between mobs..

Just fix the problem and please support this topic with posts.

Been Noticing -That it targets to the Side not in Front of you - so Left/ right ( Mouse click target - that is if you can Click them at all.

Oh this has happened quite a few times in huttball. My target is the only target in the dead center of my screen and I will leap to the guy that was closer and nearly off screen to the left. When I say nearly off screen, I mean I didn't even realize there was anyone even around me before leaping.

I'm sure this has been posted already, but in case someone missed it, you melee dps know that you can set the tab button (or any button you like) to "Target NEAREST enemy" right?

I don't believe there is one for center screen, so it doesn't helped ranged much, but melee has nothing to complain about

I want to set my tab up to always select the person with the lowest health. ;)

Might sound crazy for DPS but I am more talking to the healers. Just would help us in addition to the already crappy UI we have to use.

Edited by Gryphandor

As an Operative that relies on getting a jump on people, this screws me over several times PER MATCH. I need precise timing, otherwise my cover is blown and they'll break my stealth.

I tried changing it to target closest enemy but that seemed to do nothing.

Cosigned a million times for this to be fixed.

Edited by hulkweazel

You can also be sure that it was posted that "Nearest Target" is totally broken for melee..... Since it will target players behind you or completely to your sides if they are a tad closer.

Move along.

Edited by Verill

What is crappy is the acquire targets target system. I have never seen a system so broken to focus fire on the same target... way to many keys need to pressed before acquiring the target your group leader is targeting.

Why not give us a assist target window like lotro did... never seen a more friendly system to be able to target the same mob or person that our group leader has picked for us.

Target NEAREST does not 'cycle', it is a static targeting tool. the only way that it will cycle through the targets is if you are moving between different players, so it is only useful is you are actually NEAREST to the one you want to target.

The point I want to counter with is that I want to be able to target that guy 20 yards in front of me...

20 yards directly in front me...

that is, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, not right next to me...

and force charge, or whatever.

Instead, i have to hammer tab and cycle through every target BUT the one in front of me (as for some reason, it seems to want to prioritize targets that are out of my field of vision).

Otherwise, as one other poster already gave as an anecdote, I end up charging or whatevering behind me or ninety degrees off to the side.

And in case you missed it, there is already an option in the menus to activate ability on the nearest enemy which is infinitely more useful that target nearest enemy. However, as melee, I kill things next to me and need to actually target mobs that are not next to me.

Edited by nakoda

On Alderaan today there were 3 Sith at the mid turret. All three are in my LoS, not far, well-spaced for clear visibility. One is hurt so I want to focus him down.

I tab to Sith 1. Tab again to Sith 2. Tab a third time to...nope, screw you Player, we're going back to Sith 1. Tab to Sith 2. Tab to Sith 1.

In Huttball, battling for mid control, we clear out all enemy in the area and turn our guns on a fight on the platform across the acid. Two red name tags.

Tab takes me to neither one. What, a sniper up on the catwalk? Ok, Tab again to neither one. Did we leave an imp alive behind us? Nope. Tab again. And again. And again. I swear I'm cycling through all the dead imperials behind the starting gate. I finally get a click-target on one, just as a team mate kills him.

I don't believe Tab targeting is an algorithm. I believe it is a BioWare employee eating Cheetos and cackling at his matrix interface.