East/West or Right/Left?

Buckit

Ohh... Look. It's THIS topic. Again.

Sounds like the consensus is east/west. I'm glad to hear this and hope to see it used more often in-game.

1) If you are defending a point. Then you don't need directions.

Either

a) Its the base you are defending that is under attack = You don't have to leave.

b) Its the OTHER base that is under attack = You should probably help them out.

Glad we sorted that out :)

2) If you just spawn you don't know which speeder you need to use. Should you use the speeder on your left hand side, the center speeder or the speeder on your right hand side?

If you just spawned you NEED directions.

Glad we sorted that one out as well :D

Now for west/east vs right/left.

IF people call out for "WEST" THEN you first

a) need to open up your map to figure out if the ship you launch from is located north or south on the map. For example, let's say the ship is located north side of the map.

b) THEN you need to make the mental connection that it is the speeder on your RIGHT hand side that will take you to the WEST base.

Lots of people will be confused and use the CENTER speeder.

Some will think "west"... mm.. west=left on the map... I should probably take the.. mm... Left speeder(!)

Few will get it right and actually use the speeder on their right hand side. Few.

IF people call out for "RIGHT" THEN you only need to take the speeder on your right hand side.

Using West/East is never wrong... but it IS making it more complicated for people that recently spawned to know if they should take the speeder on their left hand side, the center speeder or their right hand side when they spawn. And as we already established - you ONLY need direction when you spawn.

- For this reason, and this reason alone, I'd say using Left, Mid or Right is faster and more accurate than East, Mid or West.

But BOTH are OK.

I think EVERYONE agree that if someone say Left he mean the speeder on your left hand side when you spawn (or the base on your left hand side when you land with the center speeder).

I think EVERYONE agree that if someone say Right he mean the base located on the right side of the map (which can be the base on your left hand side OR the base on your right hand side when you spawn - depending on if you spawn on the north ship or the south ship).

Edited by Xenon-se

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching some PvP vid last night, and in chat they were calling one of the side turrets "Snow". I was very confused because afaik both sides are covered in snow. I was hoping at some point the other side would be attacked just so I could see what they called the other one, never happened though.

And before you ask, no they weren't using Snow just to designate the side they had (i.e. if you had one side and mid you could say Snow and Mid with no confusion), they actually had both east and west turrets.

I've never heared "Snow" and "Grass".. I think I'd be confused myself with such directions - never paid any attention where there is "grass" on Alderan CW. I thought it was all snow covered! :D

To me West and East or Left and Right sound so clear I fail to understand how can someone screw this up!

(one edge base is covered in snow, the other is not)

But since you don't need directions when you are alive and defending since you always see one (and often two bases if you know what you are doing).

The time you need directions is when you just spawed. Grass and Snow will be even LESS helpful than East or West. Left and Right will be the fastest way to get people to use the correct speeder so they can defend against that cap until more ppl can arrive.

The bottom line is that Left/Right is easier for most people to understand.

No thought process could possibly be quicker than "GO RIGHT".

We can chide players all we like for not being more familiar with East/West usage, but at the end of the day is it better to feel "cool" for using E/W or actually have everyone where they need to go by using Left/Right?

The bottom line is that Left/Right is easier for most people to understand.

No thought process could possibly be quicker than "GO RIGHT".

We can chide players all we like for not being more familiar with East/West usage, but at the end of the day is it better to feel "cool" for using E/W or actually have everyone where they need to go by using Left/Right?

Right / Left screws a LOT of people up from the Imperial side. Our map is reversed, so Left in spawn = Right on map, and vice versa. You may say it doesn't matter, but it has confused a ton of people and caused lengthy explanations in the middle of WZ's.

East / West & Snow / Grass are the only two that are consistent when on Imperial side. I believe Snow / Grass is better because it is visually recognizable as to why, and you can identify quickly if you got yourself backward. East / West works also, but people on my server hate it and bicker between Grass/Snow and Left/right.

Right / Left screws a LOT of people up from the Imperial side. Our map is reversed, so Left in spawn = Right on map, and vice versa. You may say it doesn't matter, but it has confused a ton of people and caused lengthy explanations in the middle of WZ's.

East / West & Snow / Grass are the only two that are consistent when on Imperial side. I believe Snow / Grass is better because it is visually recognizable as to why, and you can identify quickly if you got yourself backward. East / West works also, but people on my server hate it and bicker between Grass/Snow and Left/right.

Right so imps use e/w

republic can use left/right

L/R is so much easier than E/W that you imps can say that republic has overpowered directions on CW.

I try to use E/W but it is not intuitive unless you are looking at your map and not at the game screen

Genius isnt about being smart. its about being simple.

Going forward, I am just going to call out port and starboard from now on. :p

I never did the east west thing, but it is less confusing than calling out right and left. Cardinal directions never change based on perspective. Most everyone does the right and left thing and very seldom a few will do east and west on my server.

Shhhhh! Some folks don't understand this and it makes them mad! :p

Going east for imps is not the same thing as going east for repubs.

Going east for repubs is a play to try and grab their right hard gun which is good for premades and bad for pugs.

Going east for imps is a play to try and grab their easy left(right on objectives map) gun. good for pugs and expected for premades.

So if you use cardinal directions feel free and just remember which side you are on.

Edited by CrunchyGremlin

The need to solve this has come, and I believe I have a solution everyone will understand the logic of.

From now one, we will call the West/Left/Snow turret the "Mayonnaise Turret."

The Right/East/Grass turret will now be referred to as the "Turret that said Ni"

The Middle turret must now be called the "Neither east or west turret"

with that solved, lets move on to some real problems. such as why do we still have NPC's stand around watching us kill their friends? !! ??

Going east for imps is not the same thing as going east for repubs.

Going east for repubs is a play to try and grab the right hard gun which is good for premades and bad for pugs.

Going east for imps is a play to try and grab the easy gun. good for pugs and expected for premades.

So if you use cardinal directions feel free and just remember which side you are on.

Regardless of which side you're on, east is always going to be east. You've just told us that whether you're imp or repub, if you go east you're going to the exact same gun.

Furthermore, it doesn't matter where you are standing, which way you're facing, or what your favorite color is. East is always east. West is always west. North is always north. South is always south.

Crunchy, you're totally missing the point here.

Edited by Buckit

Regardless if which side you're on, east is always going to be east. You've just told us that whether you're imp or repub, if you go east you're going to the exact same gun.

Furthermore, it doesn't matter where you are standing, which way you're facing, or what your favorite color is. East is always east. West is always west. North is always north. South is always south.

Crunchy, you're totally missing the point here.

yes of course the east gun is the east gun but you have to go different ways to get there depending on which side you are on.

If you use left and right the paths are the same.

Edited by CrunchyGremlin

I just wander in circles. I prefer never to even approach a gun.

which I am now changing the word gun/turret to sausage.

Therefore, when I do decide to approach a sausage I will be asking people to assist me at the mayonnaise sausage.

which would make me hungry but i am a bit leery of combining mayonnaise and sausage.

/facepalm

i quit

west for repub is the easy gun.

west for imps is the hard gun.

left from spawn is the easy gun for both sides.

right is the hard gun for both sides.

for repubs left and right is represented in the UI.

For imps its not.

So go and lead a pug and use east and west.

This conversation is pointless. If e/w way is so much better then go and use it.

It should catch on like wildfire because its so much easy and smarter.

I am betting that the more experienced 50 WZ's use E/W already right?

Edited by CrunchyGremlin