Possibility to Increase Monthly Fee from $15 - $25

Xcore

If this is possible, I think it would have some real benefits but let me explain... (please don't judge and reply due to the title...)

Cons: Lets start with the negatives...

1) $10 Increase per month for each player

2) Potential loss of playerbase (though I would argue minimal)

3) Possibility of other publishers/developers adopting this standard due to SW:TOR success, thus leading to slightly higher priced MMO Gaming experience.

Pros:

1) $10 per player, across millions of players... is a large enough sum to really be able to re-invest into the game.

2) Larger Development Team due to more income, leading to more content as well as more fixes.

3) Likely higher Quality Assurance due to potential to increase QA Team

4) Potential for fun Bioware activities, meetings, conventions etc.

5) Customer Service (In Game and Out of) can be expanded for faster response times.

Suggestion #2:

Perhaps, have another subscription option for $25 per month as a choice for those who would like to contribute a bit more and have the ability to. The perks could simply be playable races or little things like that...

Conclusion:

I think for most people $10 per month is not that much, if it is... perhaps this form of entertainment should be put on a backburner until financial situation can be stabilized. I am merely suggesting this for the betterment of the game.

I also believe that $25 is not crazy and that SW:TOR is a good game that can warrant this slightly higher price.

Let me know what you think! :)

Edited by Xcore

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not how this works. If they increased the subscription rate,

1) The development team would remain largely the same size. Adding more developers doesn't make the team better.

2) Many players would cancel their subscriptions. You're talking about a 66% price increase.

Its been talked about, discussed, ranted over, feared over for years and its never happened and never will happen. Its why games start adding 'cash shops' and pricing to other things like say character transfers. It doesn't cost the company a large amount of time or money to transfer some characters between servers yet most charge what 10 - 15 bucks or more sometimes. Thats how they make up for the cheap monthly price which alot of people who are super cheap already complain about.

Any game company regardless of how popular they were..were to go against the MMO mold and charge more...would find themselves either dead in the water or in the niche bucket left to die.

Personally I wouldn't touch a game that charged me 60 dollars for a box then 25 dollars a month unless it was designed perfectly with every single necessary and unnecessary feature in and the game was totally perfect with no bugs at all. It would have to be the fantasy never going to happen perfect game launch type of game we'll never see as MMO players.

You're making a huge assumption that they'd put all that extra money back into the game.

Gaming companies are still companies, and companies are all about ROI and profit. If you can make more money and spend less doing it, you are golden.

Well you it is of course with the assumption that they would invest it into the game... why wouldn't they?

Also what about it being optional?

Well you it is of course with the assumption that they would invest it into the game... why wouldn't they?

Also what about it being optional?

They've done tons of survey's and studies on this for years for just about every MMO thats launched. You wouldn't just lose a playerbase you'd Bleed it as if someone was liquidifying and sucking your guts out.

This entire thread is utterly ridiculous a few internet searches would of stopped a normal person in their tracks from posting the ridiculous notion of raising prices.

Its a company killer not just a game killer.

Edited by Kindara

Blizzard receive 1 billion a year due to WoW and reinvest how much back into that game? Very, very little.

EA has an obligation to it's shareholders. This comes before any such obligation to customers. You want to give them more money? They'll just keep it and make their shareholders even happier.

Interesting idea though. Personally I like the amount of new content planned for this game (march for 1.2, then the notes for 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5).

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

Conclusion:

I think for most people an extra $10 per month is not that much, I also believe that $25 is not crazy and that SW:TOR is a good game that can warrant this slightly higher price.

Let me know what you think! :)

I think you need to shut off your computer, go outside, and go get lots of sun. Cabin fever can cause wild, irrational ideas to enter your head.

Yowtch! I wouldn't like that to be honest... Unless your 25$ a month was a premium subscription of sorts and I still had the option to stay at the current amount. I'm a very casual player so a premium sub could interest others but not me... And TBH I'm owed something like 7 monthly salaries so I really would not spend any more on TOR than I have to already.

Ok, I've read the OP, but not any further. I'll just say it now: I will not play this game for $25 a month. Period.

They had over 5 years and hundreds of millions of dollars to make this game. They don't need the extra money to make it what it should have been in the first place.

Besides, I would be willing to bet that extra $10/month that the extra money would not go into additional development. It would simply line the pockets of EA even more.

EA/BioWare can afford everything you listed as a "Pro" without raising the fee.

This would be considered a serious "bait-and-switch" move if they raised the subscription price right after release. It's not a question of who could afford it, it would just be seen as either a "money grab" or "need for increased revenues to be viable" - neither of which do anything good for EA/BioWare.

It'd be far better and smarter for them to follow Blizzard's path of "Fluffy Cash Shop" items for people who really want to give more money to them.

Just a really strange request to see from you Xcore - you passionately fight for Ability Delay to get fixed to "save the game" and then suddenly come out suggesting a 67% sub price increase?

Do you have some personal stake in this or something? Maybe they told you that you are welcome to visit their offices but they don't have the money to fly you out? :rolleyes:

Nope, sorry.

This game isn't good enough to justify another $10.00 a month for me. The world design is horrible in this game. Dead, lifeless worlds and the abundance of loading screens and segregated play areas make it feel like a SP game with multiplayer lobbies to hang out in. :rolleyes:

It's barely qualifying for its current sub fee imo. If this weren't Star Wars I'd have left a long time ago. They're lucky this is a decent IP but even that will only last so long.

Edited by Matteis

More money isn't going to fix this game.

^ this.

Its the flawed dev team / development process / producer politics etc.... Even if you pomp 500$ per month they wont invest it into swtor, they will invest it into bosses pockets and next projects. The only way to make game betfter is actually so called "whining". The more content playerbase is the more producer is encouraged to cut spending on further development of that project. The fanboys will never understund that.

Do you have some personal stake in this or something? Maybe they told you that you are welcome to visit their offices but they don't have the money to fly you out? :rolleyes:

lol no... that is pretty funny though. I'm not sure what to tell you about Ability Delay... thats a topic for another thread and I think they've done well in improving though I'm kind of discouraged by 1.2 patchnotes as I still experience it very much with channelled abilities etc.

In any case, I simply wanted to see what the community would think here... an optional $10 for improvements to the game etc, y'know.