Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

64 bit client

Facadas

Not sure you understand how 64 bit works.. however some of these people think 64 bit would fix issues it would not.

It could add ~10% performance boost in CPU limited areas of the game (pretty much all cases), this is mostly due to 64 bit allowing the compiler to optimize code better, 32 bit is emulated under 64 bit Windows too but this overhead is probably fewer than a 1% performance loss. Probably the main reason this game and many others aren't using 64 bit is because the memory usage would increase (, the significance of this would be most likely be very little though, < 1MB increase) .

You might want look at how the DiskCacheArena file is used and you will see it is only used during loading screens and will not offer you a performance boost from that just being in memory.

It's too late (and was for many years before release of the game) to swap engines. It would be nice to get a DX11 renderer as it's more efficient than DX9 on the CPU.

Bioware probably don't think the increased QA costs are worth it and they have other things to pursue that could increase the performance by a more significant margin without adding more costs.

I would fully support a 64 bit client though. The last time 32 bit CPUs shipped for desktops was in early 2004 and they wouldn't be unable to play this game.

No such thing or need for a 128 bit processor or OS currently.

I did not say there was I did say MS was thinking about, as far as there being 128 bit software there is but who can afford it . or even use it .. I've been in PC for all most 35 years seen stuff others told me was not there but it is . we just don't know about it or its in a stage of DEV none of us will ever see or hear about .

AND was told the exact same thing a few years back about 64 bit OP and software .

any ways off that subject my point for that comment is soon we wont Be able to find any 32 bit software any place and all CPU's Now are 64 bit CPU's .. or any dual core or above is 64 bits, most new PC sold now are Quad cores CPU with any were from 4 to 16 gib of ram with a 32 bit op loaded on them .

Edited by tanktest

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not say there was I did say MS was thinking about,

At the moment they are not. There are no commercial 128bit CPU's that would make any use of MS software coded to the same level.

With Windows 9 already in development, I can say, with 100% accuracy that 128bit is not currently on Microsoft's roadmap. I won't go into how I can be so certain, people can either believe me or not - everyone ahs a choice.

As for the 64bit client. We seem to live in a world of numbers "a bigger number must be better than a smaller one". So a 64bit client must be better than a 32bit one. It's bigger, it's twice bigger.

Would make very, very little difference to the game as it stands.

Not sure you understand how 64 bit works.. however some of these people think 64 bit would fix issues it would not.

It could add ~10% performance boost in CPU limited areas of the game (pretty much all cases), this is mostly due to 64 bit allowing the compiler to optimize code better, 32 bit is emulated under 64 bit Windows too but this overhead is probably fewer than a 1% performance loss. Probably the main reason this game and many others aren't using 64 bit is because the memory usage would increase (, the significance of this would be most likely be very little though, < 1MB increase) .

You might want look at how the DiskCacheArena file is used and you will see it is only used during loading screens and will not offer you a performance boost from that just being in memory.

It's too late (and was for many years before release of the game) to swap engines. It would be nice to get a DX11 renderer as it's more efficient than DX9 on the CPU.

Bioware probably don't think the increased QA costs are worth it and they have other things to pursue that could increase the performance by a more significant margin without adding more costs.

I would fully support a 64 bit client though. The last time 32 bit CPUs shipped for desktops was in early 2004 and they wouldn't be unable to play this game.

No such thing or need for a 128 bit processor or OS currently.

I think I understand it pretty well... therefore no big deal with DX9 (relaying on 32 bit libraries) and current engine (also build on 32 bit system).

So what they have to remake 3D system and highly modified Hero engine to have 64 bit support, before even start to think for 64 bit client build over those.

Client by itself will not make game fully 64 bit as it will still rely on 32 bit engine and 3D system.

Keep in mind, that the main limitation of 32-bit is that it supposedly supports a maximum of 3 GB RAM (or it might be 4GB just based on the number 2^32), because that's the maximum addressable memory size with 32-bit memory addressing. Although, I don't know exactly how the limitation works, since 32 bits is actually 4 bytes which should yield 16GB maximum addressable memory space.

With 64-bit you get basically unlimited addressable memory space 1.8 e+19 addresses, which is (I think) about 8 Exabytes, which is 8 million terabytes. Well that number of RAM chips won't even fit into the room!

First of all, excuse my poor english, it's not my native language.

I also want that 64bit client, even if it would not resolve all issues.

In a few posts (too many to quote them all), there was stated, that the HeroEngine is not 64bit capable/ready. Unfortunately i'm not able to find the exact post i saw yesterday, that said that BW has acquired the source code of the engine. As i'm not a dev/coder, i'm not sure if i got this right, but BW could implement anything into the engine (64bit support, DX10/11), right? If there are/would be any limitations of capabalities of the engine they could change the sourcecode, or are there any limitations to the changes they are allowed to make? So, BW could basicly alter the HeroEngine into an "swtorEngine". Sure it would cost them a lot of money, time and manpower. But i think, in terms of longevity of the game, that would be a good investment...

HERE, HERE!!!!

I STRONGLY stand in support of a port to x64-bit clients!

I am also one of them! I run an AMD Phenom-2 FX-8120 8-core with 8 GB RAM... Windows 7 x64 SP1

ANYTHING that lessens the CPU burden on my (still rather new) computer is A GREAT idea!

I NEVER overclock but i do not think i should be forced to have my game run at max-CPU (even having 8-cores) while playing.

Also, let's hear it for the new 64-bit client FULLY MANAGING the FULL USE of a SELECTABLE amount of cores to be used ... IE: to set CPU AFFINITY in the configuration, somewhere, so i can isolate a certain number of cores to run SWTOR on, and 1-3 other cores for other duties (like checking these forums in a browser or music, or watching tutorial videos in!)

Hello,

Maybe this has been suggested already i didn't find it on search so here it goes!

Are there any plans for a 64 bit client? The reason why i'm asking this is, SWTOR requires a huge amount of RAM (more then what a 32 bit application may use), and that's why there is always 2 processes running.

What could be the advantages?

- People with 64 bit Operating Systems (i'm one of them), could use their full memory without additional tricks!

- The game it self would be faster, since it wouldn't need those 2 process and underling communication mechanisms.

With the growing demands of games, 64 bit clients must be used whenever possible! Failing to do so is putting a serious stop to permanence and scalability of a game (or any other application).

Now i know this is no small thing, depending on how you do it, it can be hard or very hard so that's why i asked if this is even being considered (it should though).

• 4 weeks later...
The 2nd process is not there to circumvent RAM limitations. It is the process for the ingame UI, made with Awesomium. Google it. It has a seperate process, in case it crashes. Awesome is basically a webrenderer for Games, which displays webpages ingame and you can use it to make nice UIs or ingamebrowsers etc.

Steam Hardware Survey

I know the Steam hardware survey is a little biased towards higher end machines, after all anybody who has Steam installed probably has an above average PC to play games, but it does show an interesting trend.

Windows 7 64 has far outsold 32 by a factor of 4:1. In fact there are more instances of 64 bit OS' than 32 now.

I'm just pointing this out to suggest that 64bit exes are the future, and there would be a significant number of people who would benefit from this.

I wonder if they see this slap in the face. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Very important for BW to implement this, but I assume it might distract them from new content for a long time, so it's. A risky ( to lose some guisewhoneedcontentasap ) but very necessary act.

Moreover 32bit client is the thing that holds the whole future swtor development back. The sooner the better!

• 1 month later...
When a new 64 bit game lures folks away from here, then we might see them go to 64 bit, probably not before. I have never seen a game company spontaneously keep up with hardware/software through time. That why some of them are gone now.

According to Steam, about 6% use XP 32 bit and 12.15% Win7 32 bit.

Which I really don't understand why you would do that.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Steam lists only those who do use Stream - Casual gamers and older generations don't use Steam that much, I syuppose. And take into account France & Germany, SWTOR is delivered in French and in German language as well. And for Germany I can say that the players there are more conservative. Credit Cards are uncommon in Germany ( ! ) especially for older generations.

What pepople also often ignore is the situation in rural areas. Here in Germany, rural areas just aren't well connected to the internet. And I mean villages, not towns. Which means that people in villages just aren't able to mhave the internet on all of the time - and especially with the bad connects and high costs they are stoill facing - in contrast to townspeople, who live in an very luxurious situation regarding internet access.

Right now, there is even an "digital gap" growing - those who have internet and those who don't. The more far away from a town the person lives, the less likely the person has good or any internet connection at all.

And Creddit Cards ... Most older gamers won't use Kickstarter because it exclusively wants Credit Cards.

What's far, far more common in Germany are direct bankl transfers - which no U.S.-based firm accepts, because it is highly uncommon in the U.S. , as it seems to me ... In short, the situation is the direct opposite.

If you want to compare to better connected and more younger gamer generations, use Steam to compare. For everyone else - don't.

Me, I do belong to an rather older gamer generation - and I ask myself : Why should I invest in an ew PC ? In an new OS ? Except for security reasons.

As long as my PC is running smoothly, I really, really don't see ANY reason to upgrade to an newer OS - except for security reasons, again. I could use the saved money for so many other things instead ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Steam lists only those who do use Stream - Casual gamers and older generations don't use Steam that much, I syuppose. And take into account France & Germany, SWTOR is delivered in French and in German language as well. And for Germany I can say that the players there are more conservative. Credit Cards are uncommon in Germany ( ! ) especially for older generations.

What pepople also often ignore is the situation in rural areas. Here in Germany, rural areas just aren't well connected to the internet. And I mean villages, not towns. Which means that people in villages just aren't able to mhave the internet on all of the time - and especially with the bad connects and high costs they are stoill facing - in contrast to townspeople, who live in an very luxurious situation regarding internet access.

1.) Steam has over 60 Million unique accounts. I think it is safe to say that the stats presented are a pretty accurate statistic compared to how statistics are done in general. Political statistics use far less real people to make a forecast during votes.

2.) What do credit cards have to do with it? You can use Paysafecards, Paypal or Online Banking to pay on Steam. And every German has either of those. I am from Germany myself and Gamers figured out by now how to pay online and what their favorite method is.

3.) I think the number of those living in rural Areas with LTE and other BS is far less than those living in big cities with at least 16k DSL or even more, provided by Cable.

Right now, there is even an "digital gap" growing - those who have internet and those who don't. The more far away from a town the person lives, the less likely the person has good or any internet connection at all.

And Creddit Cards ... Most older gamers won't use Kickstarter because it exclusively wants Credit Cards.

What's far, far more common in Germany are direct bankl transfers - which no U.S.-based firm accepts, because it is highly uncommon in the U.S. , as it seems to me ... In short, the situation is the direct opposite.

Not really true. I have yet to encounter a website where I cannot pay with either of my available payment methods. And you can always sign up for a virtual prepaid credit card. Most banks offer them by now and there are enough to use and choose from out there. I use wirecard, since it is the best option for me. I think you are making this issue bigger than it really is and it does not have to do anything with the choice of your Operating System.

If you want to compare to better connected and more younger gamer generations, use Steam to compare. For everyone else - don't.

Me, I do belong to an rather older gamer generation - and I ask myself : Why should I invest in an ew PC ? In an new OS ? Except for security reasons.

As long as my PC is running smoothly, I really, really don't see ANY reason to upgrade to an newer OS - except for security reasons, again. I could use the saved money for so many other things instead ...

If security reasons are not enough of a reason, nobody can help you.

People are just too lazy to get into a new OS or pay for one. That is the whole reason.

"Was der Bauer nicht kennt, frisst er nicht" does not only apply to food, it also applies to everything else and I think that sums it up pretty good. The other thing is, that 90% of "normal" users does not know the difference between 32 and 64 bit. I blame the press, Computer Bild, Chip and PC World and all those other casual computer magazines do a pi** poor job in educating people how a computer works and what Software you really need. And not everyone is reading CT (most informative and therefore best computer magazine) unfortunately.

I for one think holding on to the machine and OS you have can be a smart decision, when we're talking about Windows. Windows NT seemed far less buggy than anything that followed. If only I could get the quality of Windows NT again . . .

I repair other peoples machines all the time in my area with most customers being either family, friends or home users with some business customers as well and I must say that in the 238 people I have on the books only 2 actually have and use and like Steam or other such frontends and this has led me to the belief that there are ~115 who do not use and refuse to use them for every one who does.

What this tells me is, by using Steam the gaming companies are missing out on a lot more revenue than they like to think.

This demographic may change in other areas but I doubt that as where I live most people are moderately affluent.

~50% of my customers still use 32bit OSes even on full 64bit hardware. This does not mean I think they are doing the right thing, but its the reality that I see each day.

Maybe you should actually survey PC repair techs and find out what their customers actually do on average with their machines instead of just looking at figures about their current usage supplied by companies such as Steam off the net useage, who might I say have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

Heck I have many customers who refuse to buy some single player games (let alone MMO games) because they require a Steam account just to update and ask for hacks to bypass this need.

Just some food for thought.

• 1 month later...
The 2nd process is not there to circumvent RAM limitations. It is the process for the ingame UI, made with Awesomium. Google it. It has a seperate process, in case it crashes. Awesome is basically a webrenderer for Games, which displays webpages ingame and you can use it to make nice UIs or ingamebrowsers etc.

Awesomium is the reason for it still being 32 bit, that 3rd party add on doesn't have a 64 bit version and isn't likely to ever have one until its devs make one. If there are any programmers out there they would be able to convey just how difficult it is to have a 32 bit program and a 64 bit program try and communicate with each other across different threads while using the same ram adressing (This would need to be converted on the fly as 32 and 64 use different length ram pointers and neither understands the other).

Believe me this is no easy feat to pull off, ESO has the same technical limitation due to Awesomium being imbedded as its UI rendering system. They want to go 64 bit but until the devs of Awesomium build a 64bit fork of their add in that they can use, it just wont happen.

Not saying it cant be done but its beyond the scope of a game and not fast enough for use in a UI that needs to be highly responsive.

Edited by Pixelfrog

I think this is a must now. I recently brought a new rig with 8, I had to u/g from my old XP machine due to having so many issues recently. The game is a totally different experience for me now (fast loading, no crashes or lag and sound in GSF!). It's time to move on.

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.