New Ability Bar Cooldown effect

Sammojo

I still don't get why they even changed it in the first place. What exactly was wrong with the GCD animations at launch? It worked perfectly, the CD's were clear and easy to differentiate between other abilities. I'm getting tired of readjusting to new animations on my ability bar... The changes they made before this one sucked, but at least I could still see my skills...this new one is just beyond annoying. Why can't they just give us the option to use which version we prefer?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the new system, the last one was a lot harder for me as the general darkening during cd and gcd was just annoying when it was 2 min cd and there was 4 seconds left on it >.> Now I can plan all my abilities a hell of a lot better.

The frames feel a lot smoother as well, it's pretty fantastic for me.

So you know, I've been healing all day with this and loving it.

It is odd people claim this is giving them a headache when a fireworks display is going off on their screen every second during combat.

I really like the new system, the last one was a lot harder for me as the general darkening during cd and gcd was just annoying when it was 2 min cd and there was 4 seconds left on it >.> Now I can plan all my abilities a hell of a lot better.

It is odd people claim this is giving them a headache when a fireworks display is going off on their screen every second during combat.

It's not about the fireworks and combat and junk.

Please read what has been written a few pages back for understanding.

Thanks.

It's giving them a headache because they are having trouble concentrating on their bar and trying to see their abilities and constantly readjusting to a new animation every couple weeks...

I want this new gcd graphic removed. I can no longer see what abilities are available WHILE in a gcd. Not acceptable

Then actually take the time to figure put the system. I'm a marauder Nd have absolutely zero issues figuring it out. Before I DoD because I would glance at an ability i thought was ready but wasn't. Now I know. Even during a global. If they partially light up during a global they are coming off cd. It's a very easy to see system.

Reading this thread before I got on this morning, I thought there was a real issue. The only people this effects are clickers, or people who don't know their class.

You are supposed to be looking at the action, not your action bars...

I'm not trying to be an *** here but I feel exactly the same way.

I don't spend enough time looking at my action bars for this to even bother me.

Really don't get what all of the fuss is about and honestly just don't buy that this is making so many people sick.

First, I want to make it clear I am not raging with this post. I love the game and understand, along with many others, that changes and fixes to the game and mechanics takes time. Actually, I truly appreciate the effort you put into this issue. It shows that you do listen to the community.

That said, I have to agree with what many have already said; this second change to the GCD animations and graphics a big step backwards. The new animation is horrible, along with the glowing graphics that go with it. Now, it definitely looks good, don't get me wrong.

There are two really big issues that stuck out to me. First, the glowing of the action buttons and the flash once the GCD resets is VERY distracting. At 50, everyone has a lot of abilities and at least for myself, I have to use every action bar available in the UI. I does a great job at letting us know that the GCD is refreshed and ready for the next ability, but it comes with the price of really disrupting our eyes. I can't even imagine what it would be like playing in a dark room.

My other issue is that it still is hard to determine when an ability is off CD and ready to use. I had numerous times last night on my Marauder when I thought Ravage was off of CD and it was not. There is not enough contrast between the abilities that are on and off CD. In the original launch GCD system, I never had this problem.

I honestly feel that the original launch GCD animations and graphics were the best from the get-go and it should be reverted back to this system. Again, We all appreciate the effort at trying to make this right, but the easiest way to do that is to just revert it back to the original. Think about the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The original was not broke, so please bring it back. And keep up the patches BW. In my opinion, you are doing a good job! Thanks!

I'm not trying to be an *** here but I feel exactly the same way.

I don't spend enough time looking at my action bars for this to even bother me.

Really don't get what all of the fuss is about and honestly just don't buy that this is making so many people sick.

This. And honestly with people getting motion sickness seem to be people who don't play with sufficent lighting or right on top of their monitor. I have a 26 inch tv I'm using as a monitor but sit far enough away with no issues and its even been stated by the op that sufficent lighting and distance alleviates the issue. It's being blown out of proportion and while I don't doubt the op I do doubt many posters....particularly the very hostile ones. Group think is easy to do on the internet and its easiest when there is a legit concern for a small amount of people.

I personally don't mind the new effect. However, I do understand that some people are far more light sensitive than others, and white being one of the most aggravating colors to that particular issue can be 'painful'.

I would suggest a simple fix. An opacity meter added to the interface settings for the GCD overlay. This would allow users to easily control the 'brightness' of the effect with little effort on Bioware's part. The graphic/effect is already there, and adjusting opacity is relatively simple to accomplish. Furthermore, this would prevent the issue of Bioware having to find the 'happy medium' that everyone likes. Each individual user could adjust the effect to suit his or her tastes.

This further adds to the ideals behind 'Web 2.0' as well. Giving the user more control.

Edited by littleming

the original launch GCD animations and graphics were the best from the get-go and it should be reverted back to this system. Again, We all appreciate the effort at trying to make this right, but the easiest way to do that is to just revert it back to the original. Think about the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The original was not broke, so please bring it back. And keep up the patches BW. In my opinion, you are doing a good job! Thanks!

I approve of this post

I dislike the change, and yes i am a new player who does not know his class by heart.

I have a job and i take care of a very disabled family member, im sorry if i dont have time to be pro-video game guy....

Anyhow this new system makes me feel like i have to button mash to stay at my best performance.

since the bar now fades out the entire thing i dont know what abilities i can really use next, so i have to take guesses and just mash buttons really fast hoping it works out ok.

The bottom line is this is a video game i am paying to play. It should not be difficult to use something as basic as the UI that at this point hundreds of games previous to this one have managed to get right...

stop making excuses for garbage.

Alright, I'm a rage jug with tons of abilities to kick off and after coming home from work yesterday, expecting the world to end.... I found out everyones full of it!

There isnt a problem at all with the new ui, other than the a slight period of time where the ability is active yet showing dark.

I'm half bind / half mouse clicker and the changes are no problem.

This. And honestly with people getting motion sickness seem to be people who don't play with sufficent lighting or right on top of their monitor. I have a 26 inch tv I'm using as a monitor but sit far enough away with no issues and its even been stated by the op that sufficent lighting and distance alleviates the issue. It's being blown out of proportion and while I don't doubt the op I do doubt many posters....particularly the very hostile ones. Group think is easy to do on the internet and its easiest when there is a legit concern for a small amount of people.

I never said it "alleviates" the issue completely. I said it helps a little.

I don't feel like playing my laptop with my arms fully extended.

Edited by StrikeOfLight

I was surprised at how distracting it is with the new version. I'm in the camp that thought it was ok the way it was before and didn't need changing. I'm not passionate about it though as we will all get used to it eventually and forget how it was before.

The only thing that I regret not being implemented (yet) is a visual reactionary ability "ready" symbol/message (like in Rift). For example, as trooper Hgh Impact Bolt is only available once the target has a DoT or if certain other circumstances reset the GCD of a main ability like Stock Strike which means in groups or even solo I spend most of my time watching the hotbars to see if this or other abilities are off CD and/or available to use. What would be great would be a message or symbol in the middle of the screen letting me know they are available to use (like power auras addon)

Just one of many little things that aren't currently in the game that I have become used to from other games - hopefully incoming...!

Edited by Snichy

I dislike the change, and yes i am a new player who does not know his class by heart.

I have a job and i take care of a very disabled family member, im sorry if i dont have time to be pro-video game guy....

Anyhow this new system makes me feel like i have to button mash to stay at my best performance.

since the bar now fades out the entire thing i dont know what abilities i can really use next, so i have to take guesses and just mash buttons really fast hoping it works out ok.

The bottom line is this is a video game i am paying to play. It should not be difficult to use something as basic as the UI that at this point hundreds of games previous to this one have managed to get right...

stop making excuses for garbage.

And I have a full Time job a girlfriend and just recently graduated from college and know it takes 10 minutes of class forum reading and 30 minutes of practice to get your rotation right. Also there is nothing wrong with button mashing in an MMO. I've been doing it for years. You just gotta know what button to mash and its easy to tell with the new system if you take one night to learn it at the most. i had it down by the time I was done with the first part of belsavis dalies. Quit making excuses for yourself. It's a video game. You should do what it takes to be the best you can be.

And I have a full Time job a girlfriend and just recently graduated from college and know it takes 10 minutes of class forum reading and 30 minutes of practice to get your rotation right. Also there is nothing wrong with button mashing in an MMO. I've been doing it for years. You just gotta know what button to mash and its easy to tell with the new system if you take one night to learn it at the most. i had it down by the time I was done with the first part of belsavis dalies. Quit making excuses for yourself. It's a video game. You should do what it takes to be the best you can be.

you might have a point if making a decent UI was some new technology.

at this point between the single player games and mmo games there are hundreds of examples of perfectly working UI out there that they could just copy.

and yet this ui system still has rudimentary flaws to it.

you can try to make excuses for them all you would like, the reality is its pretty poor.