Are Sith really evil?

Ziggoratt

The Sith aren't angels but there not evil. They get results.

This here ^^^ made me laugh.

The Sith spend more time infighting, backstabbing and causing internal messes than anything else. As individuals? VERY powerful. As a group? Even more inefficient than the corrupt Republic.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sith never commited Genocide of the scale of what Revan was preparing?

Certainly, but since it was barely a Republic sanctionned op (None of the Pub player characters are asked to help nor do they seem to know what happened and what Revan planned, implying that the Republic was pretty much leaving Revan to his own devices and just gave him some troops/he took them/they volunteered because "Revan".) it can neither be attributed to the Republic nor the Jedi (It's implied to have been Vitiate's intention all the way.)

However, the Sith did lots of horrible things, all along their history including but not limited to:

-The Massacre of Aquilaris (New Sith Empire Era 1042 BBY)

-Operation Knightfall/ Order 66 (I count it because it was specifically ordered by Sidious)

-Bombardment of Bosph (Ordered by Sidious, planet became unhabitable.)

-The Conclave at Katarr (Nihilus killed every force-sensitive on the planet. Katarr being a Miraluka colony, everyone save for Visas Marr was killed)

-Battle of Dathomir (Near extinction of the Nightsisters by Dooku and Grievous)

-You could count Alderaan since Vader sanctioned it.

-The destruction of Taris by Malak and it took several centuries to finally partially rebuild only for the Sith Empire to destroy it AGAIN!

-The extermination of the Gen'Dai Homeworld by the Sith Empire, prior to SWTOR (Implied to be several billions dead and the rest were enslaved).

-The Devastation of Da Soocha, in the Legacy comic (Nearly all of the oceanic life was wiped out, and all the Mon Calamari refugees on Nadpu, the fourth moon were killed. That was following the complete extermination of their homeworld, Dac, by Dark Krayt).

And I stopped at the letter "D", that should give you an idea now (Taken from the "Genocides and Massacres" section on Wookieepedia).

Add to that Vitiate plan to kill every living being in the galaxy and Revan's plan (Which, I insist, I doubt was fully Republic sanctionned) that never actually happenend seems rather inconsequantial.

how the bloody hell do you destroy the gen'di homeworld arnt those aliens functionly immortal baring being shot into a star? i mean kenobi literly blows one up with the force and it survived. also why the hell didnt they put durge in the cgi clone wars cartoon the separatists needed another ****** who could duke it out with jedi

how the bloody hell do you destroy the gen'di homeworld arnt those aliens functionly immortal baring being shot into a star? i mean kenobi literly blows one up with the force and it survived. also why the hell didnt they put durge in the cgi clone wars cartoon the separatists needed another ****** who could duke it out with jedi

The method isn't specified but the Genocide is mentionned on Belsavis as being led by the Empire.

My guess is: Planetary bombings, heavy use of chemical weapons that infect Gen'Dai to a level their regenerative abilities cannot heal.

Basically a complete "scorched tactic" with the population still on the planet.

But I do agree it should have been explained.

As for Durge's absence in the Filoni directed Clone Wars, it's apparently due to difficulty translating the design to CGI, lack of interesting stories to tell with him (He's basically an anti-Jedi and anti-Mandalorian berserker. He's barely talks even in the Clone Wars part of "Republic").

Edited by Leklor

Sith on the whole are evil, back stabbing, devious and just all round evil people. However you will probably find equal amounts of this in the republic senate. :p

But you can't judge people oh a whole as evil, break it down to the individual person you will find a lot of evil people but not all of them would be evil.

Sith on the whole are evil, back stabbing, devious and just all round evil people. However you will probably find equal amounts of this in the republic senate. :p

Possibly. :p But the difference is that the democratic system of government functions directly to limit how much damage one evil, corrupt or generally dishonest politician can cause, and to allow them to be removed from power if their wrongdoing is revealed. Whereas the Sith order is specifically and intentionally designed to produce vicious, devious backstabbers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I've seen this topic come up a number of times, and it's gotten me to thinking: Are the Sith really a truly evil organization, or are they just completely misrepresented by people like Palpatine?

I'll start this off by presenting my own opinion on the matter. I personally believe the Sith to be a morally-neutral organization, one that has a select few bad seeds scattered here and there. The Sith use passion and emotion as conduits of the Force, as opposed to the Jedi, who use Inner Peace instead. The Jedi recognize that there are areas of the Force that cannot truly be understood or entirely controlled... Areas that they dare not access. Therefore, they practice restraint, dubbing this unexplored territory the "Dark Side" of the Force, and condemning any and all practitioners of its arts.

Now, this next part is what really sells me to the Sith... The Jedi detested Dark Side users do much that they hunted them to near extinction, in a manner quite similar to the Crusades. The Jedi hold themselves on a mantle above the Sith, declaring themselves "Good" and their enemies "Evil." But I now present to you the question... Are the Jedi truly good? And are the Sith, by extension, evil? Let's look at the facts.

Jedi:

1. The Jedi cut themselves off from all physical attachment, considering emotion and attachment dangerous and dark. But last I checked, wasn't love a good thing? The same goes for joy, attachment, and many forms of passion. Take the love and attachment of a mother and child, for instance. What could be more good and pure than a love such as this? Yet the Jedi's principles condemn such a love, seeing it as a lure for the forces that they don't understand (AKA, the Dark Side)

2. The Jedi are hypocrites to their own code. They condemn pride, yet declare themselves the single good, holy force in the galaxy, and condemn their opponents as evil. Is such a declaration not prideful?

3. As Yoda himself stated in the novel-version of Revenge of the Sith, the Jedi's downfall came about because they stayed true to their old ways, while the Sith embraced change and adapted to a growing universe, taking on new ways and adapting to be as versatile as possible.

Sith:

1. The Sith embrace all emotions and physical affection, seeing passion as a powerful and wonderful thing. Yes, they wield Hatred, Anger, and Fear as blunt tools to master the Force, but they can also use positive emotions, such as Love, Joy, and Attachment, to wield the same powers and abilities.

2. Many look down on the Sith, seeing only individuals such as Palpatine or Malgus as representatives of the entire organization. Yes, some who wield the Dark Side of the force delve into the wrong areas, and become corrupted by it's unconteollable power.. But it seems that these individuals have cast a dark light over the entire Sith organization. Not all Sith are necessarily evil.

3. They have lightning.

All in all, I believe that the Sith are the true gems of the galaxy. What do you think?

Well hello Ziggorat, 1) First of all the Jedi Knights and Masters are not immune to all Family Contact, Yoda had a "girlfriend" called Yaddie and I use to play the Clone Wars Adventures Game also where I found this out. It also has been mentioned in the Wookieepedia that Yoda had a home planet where secretly he and Yaddie had a family and it was all against what would have been considered as an affront against the Jedi Codes however several Jedi Knights in the Clone Wars had families.

2) Shadow Jedi Knights- it often is not uncommon that the Sith and Jedi tried to strike a balance between the Force as the Children Of Shadows tried to do. Some Jedi Masters became so in hatred of the Sith because of a group of Sith Hardliners that they gave into their own hatred and tried to hunt them all down also using any means at hand; using Hardline Republic Military Army and Navy Forces to do the dirty work. With my character ErikSkynwalker I tried to strike a balance between doing dirty deeds and allowing some Jedi and their Trainees to escape but I see in RolePlay that the Jedi Knights and Masters are just as evil as some Sith that have gone beyond the Sith Codes and yessssss We have Sith and Jedi Codes we have modified. For instance the NPC Ashara Zavros that has become my Student that was outlawed from the Jedi Academy; herself in her dealings with me had struck a balance between the Sith Codes and Jedi Codes in saying, "Passion, Peace, Strenght, Knowledge, Power, Serenedy, Victory, Harmony, Freedom-The Force." and she lives by this. Since this is in the storyline an alternate timeline where she and I could marry and raise a family some Jedi and Sith rebelled against the hardliners in their own academies and became Children of The Shadow Force. Which takes these new teachings that Ashara Zavros has said into account. 3) Even a highranking Jedi Master became astranged from the Jedi Council whom even believed and had a Jedi Holocron saying similiar words as Ashara Zavros had some 5,400 years before in a holocron activator in his own tomb on Drummond Kass. My own ancestor in his storyline to me, Dark Lord Imperious ErikSkywalker; said about the same thing to me and it was not a sin amongst the Sith to seek the Shadowforce and believe that it was not against the Sith Codes to allow some enemies to live and spread the worde that not all Sith conformed to the Hardliner point of view about the Sith Codes. I had given Ashara complete transcripts of the Sith Codes and she applied them to the Jedi Codes and came up with her unique compromise.

Playing thru the entire lightside story he only hides the actions that are in direct opposition of his master and the whole "change" the empire. If you send him back to the council as I did on my Marauder I believe Baras goes on about how it was "fitting" end for him, tho I could be wrong on this not about to watch 100 videos hoping one person chose the option lol. The hiding of the lightside sith in the Jaesa companion quest are for 2 reasons, the first focusing on your main character the reason you hide it for the main part is because like all sith you want "change" and "power" instead of going about it by killing your masters, you focus on changing the empire from within. I hope if they add more story to each class they really focus on lightside sith warrior being different from darkside. The ones Jaesa encouters

and ultimately is forced to kill in self defense, are living in fear of being hunted for it.

NotSevv, that is exactly right! My character of Erik Imperious Skynwalker is an example of this, he would be Darth Nox more or less, being an descendant of Darth Kallig. Even Dartth Kallig was betrayed by the hardline Sith for obvious reasons as my rival Darth Thanation had tried to do me in and I was forced to battle him and finally the Dark Council killed him. But is this not too out of line even with the Jedi Knights and Jedi Masters that went abit too crazy that some Jedi of the Jedi Council had to hunt them down? Dathomir was a Jedi and Sith prison for thousands of years housing criminals from both sides that "could not conform" to the Sith Codes nor to the Jedi Codes, the Witches Of Dathomir was an outgrowth of the Children Of Shasa that the Shadow Jedi became known by. ErikSkynwalker decided himself not to "remake the Sith Empire" but to work on it himself by taking the seat on the council given to him and now he is the defender of the Artifacts, he even gave a few Jedi Artifacts back to the Jedi Knights he set free.....so like you is he a "Bad Sith"?

Pay a visit to Voss. The planet is full of the Voss people, who are Force-sensitive but neither Jedi nor Sith. They're a good example of grey Force users, and you can do a lot of quests for them, to learn about how they act and view things.

BUT... they don't really use dark powers, per se. Note that "grey" Force users use the Light Side but don't follow the Jedi path. Everyone who uses Dark Side powers is or becomes controlled by the Dark Side. The closest thing to an exception that existed was how Mace Windu would sort of skate on the surface of the Dark Side while using Vapaad, feeding off his opponents' emotions, without ever actually using the Dark Side itself.

True, however if you allow yourself to be used in killing others by the DarkSide and allowing Hardliners to determine your course of actions then you too will be Seduced by The Darkside you are trying not to get seduced from! At times both the Jedi and Sith have to kill, at other times compromise and negotiations allows their defeated foes to leave them alone and go on with their societies, yes per se your not really using the full Darkside Powers but a blending of the Darkside and The Lightside. I certainly agree that Mace Windu was a very good example of this sort of seeking balance between the Force of Light or Dark and the Jedi Council never sanction him.

It is amazing you should mention the Planet of Voss.......in the storyline the Voss themselves consider the Gormak creatures and not people of an species! The Voss were at one time actually Gormak, however over time a small group of Gormak fiddled with their DNA and used certain kinds of Cybernetic Implants to become Force Sensitive with I suspect alot of help from Jedi Immigrants. The changes according to a Gormak Force Ghost, occured about some 8,000 years before.

If you think Sith aren't Evil as a generalization....

Count how many specific non-evil Sith you have ever even HEARD of (or seen depicted in art, games, etc). Including your own toons. Answer will most likely be under 5. (unless there's a story somewhere about some Sith light side sect)

Now count how many evil Sith you have ever even heard of, or seen depicted in art, games, etc. The answer is likely over 100. For one, 99.9% of all Sith NPCs you meet (during class quests) are evil. All the Sith in the movies, all the Sith in the SWTOR trailors...thats over 100 right there.

10/1 ratio at best. Probably closer to 20/1 evil to non-evil Sith.

Darth Bloodloss, you forgot to factor in the alternate Timelines; and your forgetting to calculate how many Jedi and Sith died at the hands of the Sith Hardline Traitors to their own Emperor.........lets see mathmatcially say 1 Trillion/100.

it really depends on who you define as the sith.

the sith were really a species on korriban minding their own buisness until one day, some dudes come out of a shuttle and give such an emense display of power that the sith became totally submisive. did they want to become power-hungry monsters thanks to these few rotten eggs? probably not.

Now from the imperial trooper's perspective:

he or she could be at home on corellia watching the huttball finals, but instead they are marching around gloomy starships and invading innocent worlds, hated by everyone, being torn appart by the republic's soldiers.

And if we go deeper into the future, we come upon the stormtrooper. they have to walk around the death star, torture people, invade peoples homes. all for a sick twisted weirdo. they could be home on alderaan, drinking a smoothie and playing with their family, but they are on the death star, standing in uncomfortable armor, watching everything they know explode and not be able to say to a fellow mourner, "Leia, i feel your pain. i'm alderaanian too."

So really it depends who you take for the "sith". the real evil ones are the bad eggs like malak, revan, malgus, and palpatine.

Yeah, in my character being ErikSkynwalker it depends on if you think it was evil of me putting the Soul of Lord Zash in an Ratakata Soul Box for her evil manipulations would only have kept going like the Energizer Bunny beating it's drum. LOL

it really depends on who you define as the sith.

the sith were really a species on korriban minding their own buisness until one day, some dudes come out of a shuttle and give such an emense display of power that the sith became totally submisive. did they want to become power-hungry monsters thanks to these few rotten eggs? probably not.

Now from the imperial trooper's perspective:

he or she could be at home on corellia watching the huttball finals, but instead they are marching around gloomy starships and invading innocent worlds, hated by everyone, being torn appart by the republic's soldiers.

And if we go deeper into the future, we come upon the stormtrooper. they have to walk around the death star, torture people, invade peoples homes. all for a sick twisted weirdo. they could be home on alderaan, drinking a smoothie and playing with their family, but they are on the death star, standing in uncomfortable armor, watching everything they know explode and not be able to say to a fellow mourner, "Leia, i feel your pain. i'm alderaanian too."

So really it depends who you take for the "sith". the real evil ones are the bad eggs like malak, revan, malgus, and palpatine.

The species itself was largely in tune with the darkside of the force.

They worshiped the Dark Jedi because they respected power and passion.

Both the species and the organization can be considered Evil, or morally ambiguous at best.

The exception is the one guy that objects to genocide and torture, not the other way around.

That guy also tends to die a very unnatural death.

Edited by Ruhun

If by evil, you mean generally malignant and unhealthy for the rest of the universe, then yes, they're evil.

Jorander I certainly agree with you, Luke Skywalker on Dagobath took in his heart what he felt was the idea that was his father Anakin Skywalker. On The Empire Strikes back he got an huge burst of evil from the Tree and had to fight the "Darth Vader Ghost" Yoda did nothing to stop Luke Skywalker from doing this nor taking his lightsaber with him into the cave under the roots of the Darkside Tree. To Yoda it was part of Luke Skywalker's training, sadly Yoda did nothing about Luke's feelings after the death of his family though Yoda sensed what would happen and what did happen before Luke had come to Dagobath, so was Yoda the "goodytwoshoes" we play him up to be if he would not even change the Force Destiny he knew would happen?

The Jedi are not, and are not intended to be, an absolute standard of what is good. The purpose of the Jedi order is to be an impartial police force for the Republic. They are not forbidden passions and emotion because they are inherently wrong, but because these things make them less effective in the pursuit of justice. Greed, lust, fear, and zeal in a jedi could cause much greater harm and allow them to be swayed from their course.

The Sith, on the other hand, are taught not only to embrace passion and emotion, but to give in to them. This certainly includes things we would consider good, such as love, tenderness, and compassion. However, any person who is constantly ruled by their emotions is not stable, and will very rarely make wise decisions. An interesting note is that the more powerful and higher ranked Sith tend to be more calm than the apprentices. I think the intense passions needed to gain power in the Sith hierarchy are less desirable once an individual is needed to rule. This doesn't mean that training hasn't left deep scars in these high ranking Sith, and they have a tendency to be far more cruel and destructive than is necessary.

My thinking is that the Jedi are in the right, not because they have moral high ground, but because they have a purpose and their code aids that purpose. The Sith have always been rebels and conquerors, following whatever path and using whatever methods that their emotions dictate. They have no unique purpose in a functioning society and their code is of no use to others. This is what makes them in the wrong.

REALLY, the Jedi Master that had the Forge build was still a GOOD Jedi though the Force and Spaceship would have murdered many MILLIONS OR BILLIONS OF BOTH Jedi and Sith as well as civilian populations if this Forge Factory was unleashed??!! What kind of sanction would have the Jedi Council given to it to begin the Starsystem Genocides??

Yes but what mental shape are they in, when they leave? With little exposure to the outside world, and no real way to handle their emotions. It can't make for a nice life....and it would make them more dangerous, than a crazy Sith.

You for get Jedi Elf that Jedi Trainees have a vast exposier to the world, other worlds and even the Galaxy since often they are having to go to other Starsystems spreading the Jedi Codes and Jedi Society stamping out wildfires without even having their masters around to caution them. So yes they can have families and handle their emotions just under the radar away from the Jedi Council in the Jedi Temple. Good question, what happens to a Jedi Trainee whom was either a male or female of any species whom walks out of the Jedi Temple supposedly fully trained??

1) If a Jedi Master of the Jedi Temple indulges in sexual acts contrary to the Jedi Codes would they be found out? We are talking much like how Rome and the Vatican got found out how some of the men and women nuns and young missonaries were abused and the Church ignored what was really happening. 2) What really constitues Jedi Training once the Master Jedi take a band of Jedi Trainees to their own smaller Temples to train???? We know a few Jedi Masters have such temples and I would assume that after the Jedi Council makes a Jedi Knight a Jedi Master they mostly allow the Jedi Master to do alot of stuff that goes under the radar untill some other Jedi Master makes a complaint in the secret special sessions of the Jedi Inner Council Of Masters.

I'd say those things have an awful lot to do with people who perpetuate them regularly.

Yes because every single citizen of Taris (especially people like Juhani's parents) were regularly committing acts that justified their execution without trial.

While we're at it lets all agree that Alderaan really had it coming too. What with not wanting to live under a regime that would kill billions just to make a point. Those ******s really got what they deserved.

I agree, Alderaan did deserve to be blown up. Bail Organa as Leia Organa grew up told her that she would have a secret Fleet of "Another Chance" if she needed it. a Fleet of 5 Forge Mega Super Drednaughts and the Forge Factory Drednaught as her command ship if she needed it. I played the Forge Factory Mission and found out how difficult to defeat it was to destroy the Master Droid and the Jedi Master that controlled the Forge Foundary Ship.

My question is, would have the Jedi Council Sanctioned the activation of the 5 Super Mega Drednaughts if they could have survived Order 66? Would have this been as fair activating such doomsday fleets as what the Empire had in the Death Star? 5 Super Mega Dreadnaughts should be able to blast one Deathstar 1 to bits.

So I read about 50 pages of this so far and have been compelled to contribute. I have seen arguements for why the Jedi are controlling and the sith are about freedom, but the crux of the argument as has been pointed out so many times, is definition of "sith" and that of evil. Now, I am not going to suggest that the depiction of the sith as a collection of individuals would imply that they are evil. Then, I posit that just because they are the current manifistation of the Sith order, these "evil" sith even though they are in the vast majority are not representative of every sith imaginable. For example, I can easily rationalise a sith order where the code would be interpreted as follows.

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion." In regards to internal emotional state, this is true, for "people", emotions are inevitable. On a more extrapolated note, this could mean the universe as a whole, an atom can never be at rest, it is constantly moving, and such is the nature of the universe. It isn't unreasonable to interpret that a different way, or for it to be the basis of a cruel and and perverse doctrine, but not exclusively.

"Through passion I gain strength." Well, I would argue that a person's passions do grant them strength. There is the saying about making your passion a profession and not working a day in your life. I can imagine passion itself fuelling a light side anything, the Jedi are passionate about their code, passionate about having no passion... And we don't call them evil for that.

"Through strength I gain power" well this is encouraging the sith to apply their convictions to things that give power, this is no different to encouraging people to work harder, to wield that strength with purpose.

"Through power I gain victory" telling people to use their power to win. To be a success, is this not the premise of every motivational speech?

"Through victory my chains are broken" I don't know about you, but I feel pretty damn good when I win at stuff, life mainly.

""The force shall set me free" I have always taken this to mean that whichever force practices are used the freedom of choice that is inherently available to gray force users is freeing in itself.

It is my conclusion that unless we are establishing that the dark side of the force, we aren't ruling out light sith. If a single sith with power rivalling Bane or Sideous, were to saying the things about the light side that the DK temple hologram speaks of about the light side, the sith would be very different order. But fundamentally, I believe being a sith does not make you evil. Being a sith does not make you wield force lightning.

Thank you for reading my wall of text.

Good, it was a good read I think. Unfortunately Darth Nox found out in the Dark Temple that both Sith that wrote variations on the Sith and Jedi Codes had got assassinated by the 1%er Sith that were the Hardliners whom suppressed their words in their day thousands of years before. My character which lives about 50 years BBY discovers this secret and tries to bring the Holocrons of the 2 Sith that would have changed the Sith Culture and Sith Codes forever had to give one Holocron to a Sith Master on a certain mission whom hid the Holocron in his own library but later on the mission to Tattoonie finally redeems himself just before he dies in telling my character to secretly spread the word that not all Sith have to be evil and we can live closer to reality than the Hardline Nazi Sith.

As a concept? No, their code isn't inherently evi, it's just that most sith interpret it as telling them to act as such.

I don't think it is interpretation of the code so much as it is just the influence of the dark side.

Force users come to be dominated by the side of the force they are most attuned with. Neither Jedi or Sith remotely resemble real world people. While there are exceptions, on the whole the Jedi are far more zen, wise, and fearless than any real world person, and the Sith are mustache twirling villains who often do evil for its own sake. It seems like both sides have their personalities greatly affected by their force alignment.

The Sith weakness of constant infighting is also a symptom of being dark-side aligned. It makes them always covet what their masters have or fear their apprentices rising too high, and there is no loyalty.

Force users come to be dominated by the side of the force they are most attuned with. Neither Jedi or Sith remotely resemble real world people. While there are exceptions, on the whole the Jedi are far more zen, wise, and fearless than any real world person, and the Sith are mustache twirling villains who often do evil for its own sake. It seems like both sides have their personalities greatly affected by their force alignment.

The Sith weakness of constant infighting is also a symptom of being dark-side aligned. It makes them always covet what their masters have or fear their apprentices rising too high, and there is no loyalty.

If that is the case, what causes a jedi to fall or a sith to be redeemed?

The code of the sith isn't evil, it's more of a deceleration of how life is. Looking at each individual Sith you would get varying views on how they gain power and how they use it. An example if Darth Thanaton and then looking at Darth Marr two very different Sith.

If that is the case, what causes a jedi to fall or a sith to be redeemed?

The constant call of the darkside is what makes Jedi fall. It feeds their ambition and curiosity.

The more ambitious they are the easier it becomes for them to tap into the darkside, after that it's just a vicious circle.

Some Jedi don't believe someone can be fully redeemed, the darkside stays with you forever.

Sith who go light usually do so for love or some other equally personal reason, but they are also more prone to fall right back.

Also it's never fully fledged Sith like Sidious that go light, it's confused Sith like Vader.

Edited by Ruhun