Getting bored of grinding any tips?

Zyphex

Hello,

I have had the game since release but have limited time to play due to work. I am level 34 and doing quests on planets (taris atm) and the odd bit of pvp. Problem is I'm finding myself bored of playing just for the shear grind it takes (1 level every 2 hours or something) is there anyway to speed this up?

Or a better leveling strategy?

Thanks

You could go fishing, wait a minute, a different game.

You could go treasure hunting, wait a minute, different game.

You could go craft some wares people actually buy, wait a minute, different game.

You could go build/decorate your house, wait a minute, different game.

You could go tame exotic creatures and dragons, wait a minute, different game.

You could....ahh yeah, I could go on and on but this is SWTOR, not a 1990's game (Ultima Online) that had fun stuff to do endgame.

BW appears to have only had story on their minds when making SWTOR, so we get to wait a few years for fun stuff to do, unfortunately....Not a lot to do endgame except, scripted pve Fps/Ops, wz's/Illum, oh wait they say we can reroll too.....

Wow, when I look at that last sentence that's a bit saddening, 5 measily things to do at 50??? and one of them is reroll, lol.

BW appears to have only had story on their minds when making SWTOR, so we get to wait a few years for fun stuff to do, unfortunately....Not a lot to do endgame except, scripted pve Fps/Ops, wz's/Illum, oh wait they say we can reroll too.....

Wow, when I look at that last sentence that's a bit saddening, 5 measily things to do at 50??? and one of them is reroll, lol.

I have several toons on WoW that are 85 or damn close and there's not much more to do there. Heroics, raids, PvP. Sure you can farm mats or fish or whatever... but the point of doing any of that is to make money to fund your character for the three aforementioned activities. While I'm not going to flame anyone for comparing the two (the core mechanics are damn near identical) the player should make note of the fact that this is supposed to be story driven. Every quest has a back story somehow related to the huge universe that is SW.

Most people playing WoW don't even have the slightest idea why they're doing a raid other than hoping that a piece of purple gear drops that they hope to win the roll on. There are those of us that played the Warcraft RTS and know and are interested in the back story but most just want the next piece of gear so they have a better chance of wining their next epeen contest.

To the OP... if you're looking at it as a grind I'd seriously suggest stopping now before you become one of those who gets to 50 and QQs that there's nothing to do. The game is about the story, not going as fast as you can to hit 50. There are very few MMOs where you can enjoy the "grind" if you let yourself... this is one of them, take advantage of that.

You could go fishing, wait a minute, a different game.

You could go treasure hunting, wait a minute, different game.

You could go craft some wares people actually buy, wait a minute, different game.

You could go build/decorate your house, wait a minute, different game.

You could go tame exotic creatures and dragons, wait a minute, different game.

You could....ahh yeah, I could go on and on but this is SWTOR, not a 1990's game (Ultima Online) that had fun stuff to do endgame.

Did you even read OP's post? You are talking about something else. :confused:

For my alt, i'm doing this strategy. I'm leaving him at Fleet, so he can rest.

Doing Daily PvP quest(s) and Daily Space Combat Missions, plus rest points, here you go, almost 1 free level everyday before i go back questing. (Though, i won't do this again, i'm in a hurry, i want to make him 50 asap and play with my friends in warzones. It's not an alt actually, i'm changing my main. With my 3rd alt, i will enjoy story (even world quests) again.)

Also you can go after Datacrons, but it won't give you much experience and you can try to do daily PvE Flashpoint quests, but not sure if you can find a group or not. You can try to ask in General Channel when waiting for Warzone for PvP quest.

1 last thing. Fishing as endgame. Lol. :p

You're a puppet of the system that brings voice acting and cinematic experience that camouflages the grind quite well.

Actually no. I didn't make that point at all. What I said was that levelling is far faster in this game.

You're a puppet of the system that brings voice acting and cinematic experience that camouflages the grind quite well.

By this logic every RPG MMO or not is a grind. I wouldn't say he's a puppet, I'd say he's appreciating the game for what it's done better than any MMO I've ever played. When playing WoW (or any other MMO for that matter) you'd get quests like "Hey you... you're new around here... go get me some leopard ********s" or whatever... no real reason or story that you could possibly care about... it was just a matter of getting xp.

Actually no. I didn't make that point at all. What I said was that levelling is far faster in this game.

Yes, you are. Stop being in denial. The leveling goes quite fast but it does not take away it's a camouflaged grind.

Hey you! You build up quite a reputation. We need men like you to win this war! We need you to collect them ten boxes!

Yeah, no. The first time it's ok. Once you level an alt it becomes extremely dull.

Uhm no, he is probably someone who has played more than one MMORPG before this one and realizes how easy (and quick) getting to 50 is in this game.

Hello,

I have had the game since release but have limited time to play due to work. I am level 34 and doing quests on planets (taris atm) and the odd bit of pvp. Problem is I'm finding myself bored of playing just for the shear grind it takes (1 level every 2 hours or something) is there anyway to speed this up?

Thanks

Well I guess the first thing to realize is, there's no need to "speed it up". There's really nothing for you when you get there yet... just level as you level and call it progress.

Leveling is an objective, but it's not the big goal.

Yes, you are. Stop being in denial. The leveling goes quite fast but it does not take away it's a camouflaged grind.

Hey you! You build up quite a reputation. We need men like you to win this war! We need you to collect them ten boxes!

Yeah, no. The first time it's ok. Once you level an alt it becomes extremely dull.

Where in my post did I say any different. I simply said this game has faster levelling than other mmos.

Seriously, only trolls don't actually read the post they are bashing....

Oh wait...

If you are bored now, wait when you get to 50. That is when you will want to just quit the game, as i, who had a lot of fun with it till now, want to already.

It's just a reskinned WoW.

Raid and do some PvP, which is pointless as there is not even open world pvp with any meaning working.

I had great hopes for this game, that along with the story it will bring something really new to the genre. Alas, this is not the case. Same old plane boring stuff to repeat every day, without any meaningful change or progress except some new piece of gear, to just grind more.

I think the time of this type of MMOs is coming to an end and WoW burnt out the genre in this form.

The future is of dynamic, MMOs with content changing on the run, FOREVER, and having meaning in the long run.

I suppose, if you enjoy some WZ pvp you could do that, but without any real meaning it's hard to not get bored after 1-2 hours and paying every month for that is kind of too much.

In the end i would just do the same and have fun with 1-2 hours a day in LoL or something of this kind without the feel i have to grind to even stay competitive.

All in all, this game had great potential but for me, for now, is just an attempt at reskinned WoW with better story and worse everything else. And WoW is awful at this moment already.

Plane, boring and at the end of its meaningful life.

MMOs need a genre change.

Edited by Asparhruk

Doing Daily PvP quest(s) and Daily Space Combat Missions, plus rest points

Yeup, this. Make sure to do heroics. Also, if you can find a friend, go through quests together. It speeds 'grinding' way up since you'll spend a lot less time healing or waiting for cool downs.

Problem is I'm finding myself bored of playing just for the shear grind it takes (1 level every 2 hours or something) is there anyway to speed this up?

If you do not play a lot, remember to log out at a cantina or the fleet for the bonus xp when rested.

The best leveling strategy is to look for other players and group with them. Use space bar through all dialogues, enable showing dark side/light side points in dialogs. This speeds up things considerably, but removes immersion and fun from the story.

By grouping with other players, you just breeze through the quests and you advance way faster than solo. Plus you can do the hero quests, which reward good gear and are more challenging to play.

If you look for ways to stop the "grind", there are so many ways to level. You can

- Do PvP (which is a different sort of grind, but still a grind. Fun though, at least every now and then)

- Do quests

- Do Flashpoints (you haven't mentioned them, so I assume you haven't done any. Try them, they are worth it)

- Do the space game (at least the one quest for the new missions when they become available, maybe a daily every now and then)

- You even get xp for exploring, although this takes some time and not a lot reward.

So you can really level in a lot of different ways. Try them and find out what suits you best. If you think 2 hours is long, it will get longer. You need around 2.5 - 4 hours for the last 5 levels, depending on your "throughput". As a casual gamer, it will be normal to take around 5-6 days /played to max level. If this is too long for you, this is probably not the right kind of game for your taste.

Hello,

Thanks

This is the quickest/easiest leveling MMO I've ever played. I'm not attempting to be condescending when I suggest: maybe an offline single player RPG is more ideal for your time restrictions?

Edited by IIII-IIII-IIII

Thanks for the replys,

I have played several MMO's and grinded them out. I guess maybe this game isnt for me as I'm finding myself wanting to hit 50 and pvping with my friends more than actually careing about the story because I honestly don't. It feels like they have sprayed loads of perfume over the same basic grind, kill 10 of these colect 10 of that etc.

I enjoy the combat I just don't enjoy the repetition of the planets and quest, The only planet I have actually enjoyed thus far is Tatooine because it was more open feeling.

Thanks for the replys appreciated

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.