The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

NOW = 1.7 Million Active Subscribers | 3 Months from now = Guess What

JohnExponent

The marketing machine behind SWTOR is like no other game I've ever seen. I don't doubt that it will continue to pump subs into the pipeline. Just look at Episode I 3D release this weekend, and look who is front and center on all the posters. Expect to see another massive glut of Sith Sorcs and Marauders to hit SWTOR servers everywhere.

The game is presently all about the PvE leveling experience and rolling alts. Casual players will love this game, and if they are BW's target, then I don't see anything interfering with the game's success in the long term.

Endgame is pretty disappointing, both in PvE and PvP. This certainly may change over time, but retention of more hardcore players other than avid PvE altists just isn't going to happen. I expected to play this game for years, but I'm already hitting a wall with a BM grind and EV and KP already done.

I will wait to see what March brings and then make a decision on whether or not to resub.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

\Not SWTOR though. They would rather use a game engine equivalent to a 1985 Yugo with 200k miles and cut/paste a template done over a million times. All this for the discount price of 200+ million dollars! Go go next gen MMO!!!

Funny i don't remember caring about my character in any other MMO's. I don't remember being able to choose to kill someone, take their money or kill the original quest giver after a quest.

I remember simply having the option to click accept on quests.

Could you be any more disingenuous?

Tera beta started today...just an FYI, preorders get access to closed betas.

DL'ing as we speak =X

TERA goes live in May, and GW2 open beta is 3 weeks away (the press is testing it as we speak). Trust me, subs will decrease, TOR is not the MMO players return to. That game is titled Pandaland.

TERA goes live in May, and GW2 open beta is 3 weeks away (the press is testing it as we speak). Trust me, subs will decrease, TOR is not the MMO players return to. That game is titled Pandaland.

I'm looking forward to the PvP in GW2.

Aye, I have friends going to GW2 as well, I have been waiting for both, heh.

Going to be a fun year for games. Star Wars was never really my flavor, only came here because hubby was here with some more of our gaming friends *shrug* and it passed the time after I got too annoyed with Rift barding to play it any more.

REALLY looking forward to Arche Age tho.

They also said "most" of the active subscribers are paying. So no, the game doesn't have 1.7 million active paying subscribers right now. The number could be as low as 851K. We don't know how long it takes after you unsub before EA no longer considers you an "active" subscriber. We don't even know what EA's definition is of an "active" subscriber. Not everyone plays the game with a recurring subscription, so the system doesn't relegate your account to the "dead" pile just because you stopped paying a few days ago.

The vast majority of sales were made in December. That is my counter argument to the "the number could be as low as 851k" statement. Hope that takes care of that.

Furthermore seeing as they stated what those 1.7 million subscribers are composed of, and the fact that it's been mentioned over and over again in this thread that is hardly a revelation.

No, we don't know how EA classifies an active subscriber, but seeing as they use the term "opted out" for the 300k that could well mean that once you cancel you are regarded as no longer being among the active subscribers

Dunno. I myself, cancelled too.

Thing is... will you believe the numbers they put out in 3 months? Like they are going to admit the ship is sinking. But check the server list. Future doesnt look bright in EU servers.

If EA announces those numbers to their investors at the next quarterly? Yes, seeing as they'd be breaking the law if they lied. But I know some will always be willing to cry "Lies! Those numbers are false! I have nothing to back up my claims with but they must be lies!"

Also, checked the EU servers now, 69% of them are standard at 11 am on a Sat and I know for a fact that during prime time only 1 or at most 2 are light, the rest are standard, heavy, very heavy and full. Doesn't seem too bad to me.

SWTOR will have a stable player base for a few months. This does not mean that the player base will remain the same. From my experience a lot of people quit the game while new people start to play it (I know a lot of people who bought it and only two still play). This cycle goes on until the game actually gets solid end game or the hype cools off.

The horrible truth of it for the whiners is that the population on most servers is staying stable or increasing as bugs are fixed and people come back to the game after the first two weeks of buggy class quests.

In other words, the game is getting bigger, not smaller.

lol @ people who think this game has that many people because they told you so.

They didn't tell "us" the player community anything. They told their shareholders. And if you think they were lying to their shareholders, I don't know what to tell you.

I think that Blizzard at one point stated that the majority of their players never got to max level. So at least 5 million + players never reach max level and just do quests.

Argueably SWTOR has the best questing to date in a MMO with choices, voice acting an an engaging story.

What does this mean? That most likely there are alot of people who don't have that much time available to them to play games that stay subscribed and perhaps take only a couple levels a week or less. Gamers today aren't only teenagers with too much free time on their hands, many gamers today are 30+ with a job and family to take care of, leaivng very little time to play. For these people 15$ a month is peanuts and I suspect that to most the levelling experience itself is enough to keep them subbed for quite a while.

I just discovered the website Guild Wars 2 Guru and went through all the information the guys collected from Guild Wars 2 so far. In terms of features and how cool those features are, I think GW2 tops SW: TOR in every way. This game has potential, but damn GW2 will be launching with **** load of features when compared to what this game launched with. Kind of scary when compared to this game, feature wise. Bioware need to step it up. That's just what I think.

Remember gw2 is a 2012 game while swtor is a 2011 game, give swtor some time to catch up on features.

Sincerely The Fanbois

The horrible truth of it for the whiners is that the population on most servers is staying stable or increasing as bugs are fixed and people come back to the game after the first two weeks of buggy class quests.

In other words, the game is getting bigger, not smaller.

The horrible truth is you have nothing to back those statements up with.

The horrible truth is, the server numbers were gradually highered and then lowered. Meaning, the servers saw hugs influxes of new players and as they left, the numbers were lowered.

The horrible truth is, look elsewhere on the forums and you can see players complaining about empty servers, others asking for server merges.

The horrible truth is; The game world is staying the same size, but less people are in it.

"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future. "

I will however say this. I'm generally not an MMO guy, I never played WoW. I did however dabble in the Beta for STO, which, despite having fun ship-to-ship combat, at time of release, suffered greatly in the ground combat area. For this reason, I stopped playing even before my free month ran out. When they went free-to-play recently, I logged back in to see how their ground combat changes had been applied. I was unsurprised to learn that there were many people who had stuck around through the initial period, suffered through the lacking endgame, and still played. This will be the case with SWTOR as well.

With hugely popular franchises like Star Wars and Trek, there are people who play the games simply to enjoy the sci-fi universe it takes place in. For every person who quits because "there's nothing to do after lvl 50" there will be some die-hards who don't quit simply because they like Star Wars. Maybe there will be some server merges, maybe not. I know personally, I enjoy the stories I've been playing so far, and plan on playing through at least a few of them, after all, I did enjoy multiple playthroughs of both KOTOR games, at least here different classes have different plots.

Hopefully, by the time I get a character or 2 to level 50, there will be more to do and some more bugs will be fixed and features implemented. Bioware has proved before they know how to spin a good Star Wars yarn, and imo, they've done it again here.

the subs will drop consistently until its free to play around aug-sept time.

It got the initial boost cause its star wars and people had faith, bw destroyed that faith and this game.

Now 1.7m

3 months? 750k

6 months? F2P

Yesh, that's a rather negative outlook. STO took two years to go F2P and that games ground combat was so awkward I didn't even finish my free month of play.

I think all the MMO die-hards complaining about lack of end-game (not knocking you btw, its a concern a lot of people have) aren't taking into account the large player-base(presumably, due to the franchise) satisfied to simply play a Star Wars game which, imo, does offer a fairly good amount of "SP" content.

Edit - Didn't realize the thread was so long and my responses were back-to-back and redundant.

Edited by ActionJim

The horrible truth is you have nothing to back those statements up with.

The horrible truth is, the server numbers were gradually highered and then lowered. Meaning, the servers saw hugs influxes of new players and as they left, the numbers were lowered.

The horrible truth is, look elsewhere on the forums and you can see players complaining about empty servers, others asking for server merges.

The horrible truth is; The game world is staying the same size, but less people are in it.

The horrible truth is, your interpretation, is just your interpretation.

The horrible truth is, you have nothing to back those statements up with.

The horrible truth is, WoW lost 2 million subs in 1 year. SWTOR sold over 2 million copies in about 2 months.